Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:52:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Films 2009

Started by VegaLA, January 01, 2009, 05:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

Knock Knock
Who's there?
My Bloody Valentine?
May Bloody Valentine the band?
No My Bloody Valentine the film.

imitationleather

This evening instead of watching the first African American President enter the White House I went to a free screening of Frost/Nixon.

Once I got past how un-Nixon Frank Langella was and how Alan Partridge-esque Michael Sheen played Frost at some points I actually really enjoyed it. I knew nothing at all about the interviews, so hearing about it all was very interesting.

What an in-depth review!

boxofslice

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In Bruges was oscar nominated after all! Best Original Screenplay nomination. And it has a fighting chance I think.

bill hicks

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 23, 2009, 01:12:58 PM
In Bruges was oscar nominated after all! Best Original Screenplay nomination. And it has a fighting chance I think.

It should win for the "Are you calling my kids cunts?" stuff at the end alone.

Tonight I shall venture across the road and watch Valkyrie. Being that I have a high knowledge of the last days of the Reich and the events surrounding the 20th July Plot I expect not to be disappointed at all.

I mean if they made a film about those events and just dropped a talentless pretty boy nutter in it to play von Stauffenberg as some kind of saint who wanted to save all those lovely Jews who he had deep respect for all along then it would be ridiculous wouldn't it?

I anticipate 5 Iron Stars for this one.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah, I think I could watch that film again very soon.

A LOT of films out this weekend worth going to see. I've seen The Wrestler. I can't really be arsed with Slumdog until the fuss has died down...can anyone recommend what to see?

El Unicornio, mang

I recommend Milk, if you haven't seen it yet

El Unicornio, mang

Not til 2009 but this has got me quite excited:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_(2010_film)

Interesting cast (although Depp and Carter are a given since it's a Burton film):

Mia Wasikowska
Johnny Depp
Helena Bonham Carter
Anne Hathaway
Stephen Fry
Alan Rickman
Michael Sheen
Matt Lucas
Christopher Lee

samadriel

After the Yamato-class shit that was Wonka (a battleshit?), I have all but zero confidence in these guys; it would take an absolutely massive turn-around for this to even achieve mediocrity.

Jack Shaftoe

Is John August writing Alice as well? He seems to be constantly aiming for Brit-style kookiness, but sadly seems so stuffed with American earnestness and ghastly therapy-style notions (Wonka's dad = A DENTIST = jaw-droppingly poor idea) the end result is always pretty horrible.

samadriel

edit:  I had the wrong modern 'Alice'; this Burton one's written by a Linda Woolverton, who's written a bunch of the bigger Disney movies.

Feralkid

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on January 25, 2009, 08:19:28 AM
Is John August writing Alice as well? He seems to be constantly aiming for Brit-style kookiness, but sadly seems so stuffed with American earnestness and ghastly therapy-style notions (Wonka's dad = A DENTIST = jaw-droppingly poor idea) the end result is always pretty horrible.

Agreed.  He's certainly no Caroline Thompson.   And I really wish Burton would branch out and try something, anything else.   I'm tiring of his kooky, over art-directed, gothic, whimsy bollocks.   Or at the very least he could try applying his sensibilities to a more interesting array of genres.   

bill hicks

I forgot to post again didn't I?

For those waiting on tenterhooks...Valkyrie is shit.

boxofslice

boxofslice

Looks like it might get made after all:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=24075

Really not seeing the point in making this. Surely all the fun in the original series was in the characters and the casting of them. You can't have BA Baracus without Mr T because basically BA was just a heightened version of Mr T himself.

dr beat

QuoteTrailer for The Damned United. Looks like Sheen has nailed it again.

Looks promising.  By the way, I've just got the book for £4 in HMV, which is the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.  (And the Charlie Brooker books are £3 each as well).

Glebe

Yeah, looks interesting.

Coraline web trailer-all of a sudden I think I really do actually want to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js7wxoqeVK0

Beck

Just found out that John Carpenter's eighties acefest The Thing is getting a prequel, and, based on the details so far, I'm not instantly dismissing it. The half-decent video game took the same route - a much more sensible one than doing a sequel and pissing over the ambiguous ending - and there's probably a good film in it (although you know exactly how it's going to end). The guy penning it, Ronald D. Moore, apparently 'relaunched' Battlestar Gallactica - which I've not seen - and wrote some Star Trek and some Carnivàle, so he sounds fairly reputable. But surely it's got to be all in Norwegian? Presumably they'll do that 'they're speaking Norwegian, but you hear it as English' thing, which I'm down with, certainly.

Feralkid

Quote from: Beck on January 31, 2009, 10:27:26 AM
Just found out that John Carpenter's eighties acefest The Thing is getting a prequel, and, based on the details so far, I'm not instantly dismissing it. The half-decent video game took the same route - a much more sensible one than doing a sequel and pissing over the ambiguous ending - and there's probably a good film in it (although you know exactly how it's going to end). The guy penning it, Ronald D. Moore, apparently 'relaunched' Battlestar Gallactica - which I've not seen - and wrote some Star Trek and some Carnivàle, so he sounds fairly reputable. But surely it's got to be all in Norwegian? Presumably they'll do that 'they're speaking Norwegian, but you hear it as English' thing, which I'm down with, certainly.

I have some inside intell on this, probably a tad out of date now, but from a friend who had been working for Strike Entertainment who are developing this.  So it was certainly the state of play six months ago.   There is to be an American woman amongst the Norwegians.  At least that was the plan.   And after struggling to come up with an ending after the Norwegian camp is destroyed the idea was that this survivor would be left wandering - eventually finding her way to some flames in the distance.  They'd then have her arrive at the remains of the American camp just seconds after the end of John Carpenter's The Thing.   David Keith and Kurt Russell would be Forrest Gumped in with Russell being given one new line as the heroine approaches..."looks like things just got interesting...."   

Of course now that they're talking about making one of the Norwegian contigent MacCready's brother the whole shebang might have changed.   

boxofslice

lipsink

Just went to see 'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist' and, my God what an appalling film. I'm not sure if I'm just comparing it to Superbad (or Juno, which I actually liked) but it seemed like every actor in the film was charmless (except for Michael Cera who it seemed was the only one who put any effort in) and nobody seemed to be sure what type of film it was.

In fact, I was pretty disappointed with 'Frost/Nixon' too. Ron Howard can take any engaging concept and take all the edge off until it resembles a bland TV movie. Quite a fucking achievement when every actor in the film was faultless.

Looking forward to 'Mulk' though.

boxofslice

That Brian Clough trailer looks good. It shows some happy looking bits too! I was under the slightly shit impression it was just going to be the 44 days at Leeds, which seemed conceptually very artistic and clever but i would rather a full biopic.

El Unicornio, mang

whoops, wrong thread

Jemble Fred

BLOW WINDS, AND CRACK YOUR MOTHERFUCKIN' CHEEKS!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999542.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

I love Looking for Richard (for wainscotting reasons; because Pacino mentions my hometown of Ludlow), but the Anthony Hopkins version should make another Lear redundant, surely? Not that that film will definitely be great, I fear it won't, but two at a time seems a bit daft.

I watched Brian Blessed's Lear last week, he was surprisingly muted and girly throughout...

VegaLA

Jemble Fred

Sorry to go on, but the story continues:

Quote from: Jemble Fred on February 04, 2009, 02:59:43 PM
BLOW WINDS, AND CRACK YOUR MOTHERFUCKIN' CHEEKS!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999542.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

"The film will be true to its period, very similar to the classical look of 'Merchant Of Venice'. "

So we've got an Italian American playing an Iron Age British King in Renaissance costume? This is going to be the comedy of the year!