Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Films 2009

Started by VegaLA, January 01, 2009, 05:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

Looks like he's gone and edited out all the blacks again, so I'm up for watching that.

no_offenc

Quote from: Jemble Fred on February 27, 2009, 08:30:33 AM
I heard that the Robocop remake was supposed to be more steampunk and ugly, a bit more of a Cronenberg take on the 'bringing a bloke back from the dead with technology' thing...

But it's no excuse. I'm going to get all smug and suggest that the people responsible could take the millions they plan to spend on the remake and put on special showings of the original movie for the homeless, with a warm meal thrown in. They'd feel so much better about themselves in the long run.

I dunno, it has Darren Aronofsky behind the wheel, as it were, so I'm more than willing to give it a chance.  The Wrestler was ace, I've not seen The Fountain, and I enjoyed Requiem For A Dream and π.  Hopefully it'll be good and grim and ugly and entertaining.

Paaaaul

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 02, 2009, 08:59:26 AM
Holy Shit! I'm looking forward to a Richard Curtis film
http://www.theboatthatrocked.co.uk/trailer.html

I've seen the trailer for that a couple of times at the cinema and it looks mega-shit.

Jemble Fred

Oh god here's a depressing article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/mar/02/handmade-film-finance

Terry Gilliam must be turning in his... bed. George Harrison will be turning his atoms on some Indian riverbank.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

There was nothing in that article that didn't piss me off.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My post got wiped but I was telling everyone to go and see Gran Torino, so please do that. It is an extremely good film and a remarkable achievement considering the level of one very talented old man's involvement.

A great tale with themes relating to age and race, boiling down to the age and race divide being nothing more than superficial obstacles to friendship. And it becomes the anti-vigilante movie by the end, without giving anything away, while still retaining parts of the catharsism that makes vigilante movies so popular- in fact it delves so deeply into that territory you begin to have suspicions.

It's just superb though, with Clint snarling away like a grizzled unfriendly old bear and then his realisation that he has more in common with the immigrants from next door than he has with his own two sons.

The interplay between him and the Priest is another example of the classy way the relationships between Walt and the people around him change seamlessly over the course of the film.

When I'm his age I hope I'm still active enough to produce, direct and star as the leading man hollywood films where I get to attack gangs and punch through parts of a fake house.

Emma Raducanu

Spoiler alert
I wrote a while ago how much I enjoyed Gran Torino. My main gripe was the cartoony portrayal of his son, who wanted him out of his house and into a home so that he could pocket the money. Maybe it wouldn't have bothered me so much had I not seen Mrs Caldicot's Cabbage War, which was exactly that storyline and dealt with in a similarly silly way
[close]

Glebe

Coupla trailers for Michael Mann and Jim Jarmusch's latest films:

Public Enemies.

The Limits Of Control.

boxofslice

Glebe

I've dared to have high hopes for this, trailer lacks a little sparkle overall, but it has some nice moments by the look of it.

Looks like a big-screen version of Stephen King's IT is on the way...

Goldentony

Quote from: Glebe on March 13, 2009, 04:46:08 AM
I've dared to have high hopes for this, trailer lacks a little sparkle overall, but it has some nice moments by the look of it.

Looks like a big-screen version of Stephen King's IT is on the way...

Fingers crossed about this, i fucking love the book. The series was ok but as the article says it's a bit of a PG affair, but Tim Curry as IT is fucking unbelievable.

Just hope there's
Spoiler alert
a better looking huge rubber spider to end it all than the muppet show thing from the tv show
[close]

Santa's Boyfriend

The book's unfilmable.  Too long and too conceptual.  (How do you film someone mentally projecting a fight where you bite each-other's tongues and tell jokes to each-other?) If they couldn't do it as a tv series, I can't believe they'll do it right as a film.  They're bound to go the route of the
Spoiler alert
muppet spider ending, only this time do it in CGI, but still have a bog standard fight.
[close]

boxofslice

Sam Mendes examines the american dream.... again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U21lpEqbRxk

Vitalstatistix

Bronson is good fun, though I had to sit through it with a crowd of gurning morons who were expecting some sort of guns n tits Guy Ritchie style affair, which this certainly isn't.

Yer man as Charlie is awesome, and there's some great visuals and music. There's not much to it though, and it's no Pusher.

bill hicks

We got our posters in for Crank 2 at work yesterday (and one of them somehow managed to find its way to my bedroom wall shortly after that).

The tagline is:

He was dead...
But he got better.

This could be the best thing I ever see.

samadriel

I spent the whole, oh, second half or so of 'Crank' vibrating in speculative sympathy pain after the part where his doc tells him
Spoiler alert
his dick is so hard he won't be able to ejaculate
[close]
.  Still, part 2 should be a chuckle, no?

Hmm, so that Mendes one's written by Dave Eggers...  His 'Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius' was a big go-nowhere slog for me, but I am curious to see if John Krascinzski can act.

non capisco

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on March 19, 2009, 11:37:00 AM
Bronson is good fun, though I had to sit through it with a crowd of gurning morons who were expecting some sort of guns n tits Guy Ritchie style affair, which this certainly isn't.

Yer man as Charlie is awesome, and there's some great visuals and music. There's not much to it though, and it's no Pusher.

I enjoyed it despite there being, as you say, not much to it. There's enough flair and interesting sequences (the mental hospital/Pet Shop Boys scene and the bit at his uncle's party were both excellent) to make up for the slight subject matter. Worth seeing for Tom Hardy's performance alone I'd say. I loved his performance in 'Stuart: A Life Backwards' and was waiting to see him in something other than a Guy Ritchie load of toot.

Am I right in thinking there's a glaring continuity error in terms of people calling him 'Charlie' in loads of scenes before camp Super Hans gives him the name?

Vitalstatistix

I didn't notice an error. It starts off in the Bronson era but then tells the story back from when he was Michael. Worked for me, but I may have been too busy scraping chewing gum off my shoes to notice. The Empire in Newcastle is a shit hole!

Famous Mortimer

I cannot wait for Crank 2. I adored the first one - absolute top-speed lunacy all the way through it, the purest distillation of action movies. The r-rated trailer for the second one's hilarious, too.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I saw Bronson last night. As a mash up of A Clockwork Orange and Chopper, I thought it was wildly entertaining but ultimately a little unsatisfying. Hardy's performance is spectacular, but I never felt like we got any particular insight into Bronson. Instead we get scene after scene of him fighting the guards in slow motion, which suffered from the law of diminishing returns.

boxofslice

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I actually found Clint's growling, snarling performance in Gran Torino slightly embarrassing. But then I've never been a fan of his acting - terribly wooden.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 20, 2009, 08:52:54 AM
I cannot wait for Crank 2. I adored the first one - absolute top-speed lunacy all the way through it, the purest distillation of action movies. The r-rated trailer for the second one's hilarious, too.

Crank is a really bizarre film, it's like it goes all the way through dumb right back through to clever again, and then back around to dumb. On the one hand, there's all the ridiculous violence and car chases and shagging etc., but on the other there's stuff like the subtitles being seen from the point of view of the speaker, and the "Do I look like I've got cunt written on my forehead?" bit (which I've been meaning to get a screen-capture of for my desktop...). It's like a very high budget student film.

I will almost certainly be going to see Crank 2.

Vitalstatistix

boxofslice

Marvin

Oh crikey, went to the cinema today under the mistaken impression that they were showing 'The Damned United', but they weren't.  The book's a decent page turner and I thought I'd reward myself for a few days' labour redecorating my house by going to see a film.  They start showing that particular film tomorrow, but I thought, seeing as I'd come all the way to the cinema and fancied seeing something that I'd watch a film anyway.

The film I saw was 'Knowing'.  I'd implore people not to see this film, it's a fair old waste of your time.  It's a kind of weird mash-up of horror, sci-fi and father/son relationship movie and it's just crap.  I've never been convinced that Nicholas Cage was any sort of decent actor, and it's just a bit of a stretch to believe that he's supposed to be a professor at MIT like he's supposed to be.  In fact, I think it's as big a stretch as believing that Keanu Reeves is a shit-hot intelligent lawyer like he's supposed to be in 'The Devil's Advocate'.  I feel like I actually punished myself for redecorating my house by going through and watching this film.

I'm looking forward to seeing 'Let The Right One In' on the basis of the trailer.  I don't know much about the film, but the trailer looked bloody eerie.

non capisco

The London Metro film reviewer has saved me the bother of going to see 'Knowing' anyway by saying what happens at the end.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: non capisco on March 27, 2009, 07:13:15 PM
The London Metro film reviewer has saved me the bother of going to see 'Knowing' anyway by saying what happens at the end.

I've read a couple of reviews that spoiled the ending. I wonder if they thought nobody would mind since it looked pretty shit anyway.

The worst review I've ever read for spoilers was Empire's original 5 star review of Speed, which detailed pretty much every significant occurance in the film, even describing
Spoiler alert
Dennis Hopper's head being knocked off
[close]
. This was before the movie even came out. Twats.