Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2009 records?

Started by Deadeye Dick, January 01, 2009, 10:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye Dick

It's a new year, and time, perhaps, to freshen up your personal soundtrack.  Or, to put it in a slightly more understandable fashion: what records are you looking forward to this year?

Obviously, there's the (in my opinion) pretty bloody fantastic new Animal Collective LP, Merriweather Post Pavillion, out on the 12th, but surely there's more to look forward to than just that, right?  I've already heard a few other rather lovely albums that come out this month as well.  One of these is the new one from Antony & The Johnsons, The Crying Light, which isn't as immediate as I Am A Bird Now (or that much of a shift from that record's sound), but compelling stuff anyway, and I get the impression it's going to be a bit of a grower, which is nice.  There's two debut's out this month I'd recommend as well: the self-titled record from The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, which despite being a rather slavish C86-throwback at times, is a very fun, concise indie-pop album, and well worth the time of day for those of you who like their guitar jangling nice and vague, and Dance Mother by Telepathe, which is fantastic, experimental electronica with a Cocteau Twins-esque ambiance to it, and it boasts a very nice production job from TV on the Radio's David Sitke too.  Be warned though: the Telepathe one is very, VERY hipster.

And after that?  Well, the Dananananaykroyd debut should be pretty good if their previous singles and their brilliant live show is anything to go by, and new ones from Grizzly Bear and The Decemberists should be worth a listen too.  The debut album from Lotus Plaza (aka Deerhunter guitarist Lockett Pundt) could be pretty interesting too, the rumoured second album of material from Stereolab's Chemical Chords sessions would be pretty nice if it goes ahead, and I'm hoping that the new Morrissey isn't going to be completely terrible, even though those two terrible singles from his last Greatest Hits album are both on it (and this is from someone who reckons Ringleader was one of his best solo efforts!).  I'd probably explode with joy should the oft-promised third My Bloody Valentine record actually come out, but even after the reformation I'm not really expecting much.  Another tour would be pretty nice though, if you're reading this Kev...

So, what are all of you looking forward to, or hoping to occur in the wide world of music this year?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The new Om album is the only think I can thing of at the moment. It's the first with new drummer Emil Amos. Whether that'll have much of an influence on their sound, I don't know.

Cack Hen

DANA

NANA

NAYKROYD!!!

although the SELLOUT BASTARDS are going on a world tour with kaiser chiefs for the next couple of months, bastards

i am very excited for the album though, they've even re-recorded pink sabbath which i didn't think they would. everything on sissy hits sounded a bit weak, but if pink sabbath is anything to go on this thing is going to be amazing.

but also i'm looking forward to the new sonic youth album and probably lots of other things.

Marvin

The Plunger

re:-Dananananaykroyd. I haven't heard any of their stuff, but that photo above and their name puts me right off. They appear self-consciously 'zany', and look like utter cunts.

Agreed.  Possibly the worst band name I've heard in years, if not ever.

Anyway...New Springsteen album in a couple of weeks, so 2009 gets off to a good start for me.

ThickAndCreamy

Dananananakroyd fall into the same pit as Johnny Foreigner for me musically, incredibly bland fast paced guitars with screamy vocals. Speed does consitute to a good song which is seemingly their main focus. Also to me they are completely forgettable in every shape or form alike to JF and therefore I couldn't care less about their new album.

As for myself I'm looking forward to the new AC record, new Franz Ferdinand record even though I predict it will be shit, Bell Orchestre also have a record coming out this year on their new label, Arts And Crafts too which should be nice if the first is anything to go by. Hopefully there is a new Strokes and Broken Social Scene record as well along with many other albums not appearing in my mind right this instance.

rjd2

MF Doom will have some more stuff and of course Dre and EMINEM may actually drop their albums, however the one I and many others will be looking forward to is Big Boi's solo album from Outkast, I think most will agree that the last few years have confirmed he is much more talented than andre 3000 and judging by thoe who have heard the leaked tracks its meant to be immense.
First single Royal Flush featuring Raekwon and andre 3000
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FUPPurcasM[/youtube]

scarecrow

I met someone once who was either in Danananaykroyd or affiliated with them in some way and he was a wazzock, so that's it settled.

I'm looking forward to the new album Eels are apparently going to be putting out. Also, 'The Secret, the Profane & the Sugar Cane,' the album Elvis Costello recently made with T-Bone Burnett will be out in May. Hopefully that will be a nice 'King of America' type affair. I've also heard talk of a new Grinderman album and it seems likely that Richard Thompson who's currently working on a solo album, a band album and a song cycle project will put something great out at some point.

purlieu

Danananaykroyd always disappointed me a little, I had high hopes and they're quite good live but I just can't get excited about them.  Maybe I'll download the album anyway, though.

I'm hoping the new Thursday album lives up to the promise of their split with Envy, which should hopefully see them complete their transformation into a massive, heavy post-rock band and shed all emo ties.  It's produced by Dave Fridmann again, so there's a good chance it'll be great.

That new Current 93 record should be out this year, the Hallucinatory Mountain thing.  My interest in them has waned a little in recent years but I'm still looking forward to it.

I really hope Biffy Clyro come back with something to make me forget about the heap of dogshit that was Puzzle, but I can't help fearing they've lost it, really.

Oh, and the new Future Sound of London album should be out this year.  It better be worth the 13 year wait.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've never even heard of this Bananakroyd. Am I so out of touch?

Goldentony

As much as i'd like the Ghostface & DOOM record to come out this year, i'd be lying to myself if i actually thought there was any chance

Artemis

Quote from: rjd2 on January 02, 2009, 10:55:19 AM
First single Royal Flush featuring Raekwon and andre 3000

Really good track, that. Some nifty breaks, too.

I have hopes for new DOOM this year. Judging by his contributions on the Jake One release, he's still got it...

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DAom9QXCf5c[/youtube]

alan nagsworth

I certainly hope Doom has still got it. After all that shit concerning him sending an imposter in his mark to mime at his shows, I'm hopng that a) it's not true, and b) he does something more interesting than rehashing an old tune for Ghostface's 'More Fish' album in the most boring fashion imaginable.

His next album Doompostor is also long overdue.

CaledonianGonzo

...shall return.

(and squish Danananaykroyd).

I'm hoping Chi Cheng comes out of his coma, has full control of his faculties and tours in support of the next Deftones album. It would be sad if that record becomes a tribute to him.

boxofslice

Quote from: Cack Hen on January 01, 2009, 11:20:30 PM
DANA

NANA

NAYKROYD!!!

Not only the worst band name ever but the worst band photo ever. Lets hope the credit crunch puts an end to their plans.

TheWizard

Actually there's also this picture of Dana...

2009. Lily Allen, Missy Elliot, Morrissey, U2 and The Decemberists due by March. Massive maybes from Blur, Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, Liz Fraser, Massive Attack, Engineers, Jay Reatard, The Avalanches, Roxy Music, Winehouse and Michael Jackson this year and more likely efforts from BPA, Basement Jaxx, Bat For Lashes, Doves, Eminem, Jay-Z, Laura Marling, M. Ward, Muse, Patrick Wolf and Wilco.

Slow Club, Jay Jay Pistolet, Mumford and Sons, Team Waterpolo, The Outside Royalty, Bombay Bicycle Club, Let's Wrestle, Stricken City, The Big Pink, Passion Pit, Golden Silvers, Cherbourg, The Temper Trap, Emmy The Great, Danananaackroyd, Fanfarlo, We Were Promised Jet Packs, Alessi's Ark, , Fan Death, Collapsing Cities, Lovvers, Soko, 4 or 5 Magicians, Lucy and The Caterpillar, The Rosie Taylor Project, Kid Harpoon, Damn Shames, Mechanical Bride, Peggy Sue and the whatever it is next week and Broken Records.

Cack Hen

the band, by their own admission say it's a stupid name

who cares? obviously it's the dealbreaker for some of you miserable bastards

klaatu!

Quote from: TheWizard on January 02, 2009, 03:51:33 PM
The Avalanches

I'll believe it when I see it. Although despite my cynicism, it's supposed to be pretty much finished. The Modular Records boss said the band were going to personally deliver the album to him on Christmas Day. Let's see.

Elsewhere, the album I'm looking forward to the most is probably the new Dirty Projectors one. He's kept the same line-up and is focusing on a more direct, poppy sound with the two girls taking a share of the lead vocals. Hopefully this will be the album that sounds as good as their live stuff.

Slaaaaabs

Masters Of Reality album is out in March, having been scheduled for August and then October of last year. Hopefully a case of perfectionism from Chris Goss rather than any trouble with it.

And something from Scissors For Lefty

Cack Hen

let me continue the justified hip hip HIP parade with the also excellent: TUBELORD

wait let me find a picture

hopefully that's enough for you to go on! actually i saw them once by accident and they were really good, they're recording an album right about now. exciting!

let's also take a moment to mention johnny foreigner, who will probably be releasing a new album at some point.

although i have a bad feeling they're going to deliver an almighty shit heap, i don't know why i haven't heard much of the new songs. but their debut is something i really really love so high hopes and all that!

probably wouldn't be too crazy to predict another release from los campesinos! either. don't worry i'll spare you a picture.

asobi seksu return in february! or maybe april i dunno. but citrus was probably my favourite 'modern-day' shoegazing album, didn't think too much of the new single but i'm still excited

YOU'LL ALL BE EATING YOUR WORDS ON DANAN WHEN YOU HEAR INFINITY MILK

Spoiler alert
probably
[close]

sublingual

I'm looking forward to amazing new albums from both Future of the Left and Brand New in the first half of the year.
It'd be great to see the Crimea pull out the stops on their new release, but I've got a feeling it'll be largely mediocre.

High hopes for a huge return to form from the Prodigy as well.

rjd2

When is Plan B new album? Surely next year?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Cack Hen on January 02, 2009, 08:24:02 PM
YOU'LL ALL BE EATING YOUR WORDS ON DANAN WHEN YOU HEAR INFINITY MILK

Spoiler alert
probably
[close]

I actually don't mind their name.  I'm curbing my enthusiasm on the basis of their records and live show (which I caught over the summer). 

Though that's got more to do with the genre within which they're operating - chirpy post-hardcore - than anything specifically against them.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: sublingual on January 02, 2009, 08:53:24 PM
Future of the Left

Oho yes! That's got me excited, I hope they do a mclusky and just get more wild with each album.

CaledonianGonzo

Two favourites of mine should be returning with - long overdue - new 'platters':

Kings of Convenience with the sure-to-confuse 'Quiet IS The New Loud'

and

Midlake with 'Courage of Others'

Hopefully they should both see the light of day during the next 12 month, and hopefully the latter haven't rewritten their own rulebook too extensively.

Quote from: sublingual on January 02, 2009, 08:53:24 PM
I'm looking forward to amazing new albums from both Future of the Left and Brand New in the first half of the year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Brand New album doesn't get released until 2010

boxofslice

I'm looking forward to the new Wilco record which should arrive this year. If the song they played on The Colbert Report last year is an indication it should be a cracker.