Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:36:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2009 records?

Started by Deadeye Dick, January 01, 2009, 10:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: boxofslice on January 03, 2009, 10:07:56 AM
I'm looking forward to the new Wilco record which should arrive this year. If the song they played on The Colbert Report last year is an indication it should be a cracker.

Hope so. I'm still a little cold on a lot of 'Sky Blue Sky'.
I hope they tour again over here as well. The last gig in London was cancelled due to the guitarist having chicken pox or something and was never rescheduled.

I still don't own any Wilco albums, despite my love for Uncle Tupelo.  It's time I did.  Which to start with?

scarecrow

Being There is probably the more like Uncle Tupelo and is great, but Yankee Hotel Foxtrot really is where it's at for me, Trotsky. Get both. I mean, if you like Tweedy's UT songs, both are a safe bet, though I suppose Being There is a slightly safer one.

I'll do it very soon.  It'll fit well with my current listening to Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams.

CaledonianGonzo

+1 on Being There as a good starting point.  It's not a million miles away from Ryan Adams' Gold, but it's a fair bit more consistent...

Caroline

I really like Summerteeth but among the Wilco fans I am friends with I am the only one who does.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Get "Kicking Television", live album, brilliant!

scarecrow

Quote from: Caroline on January 03, 2009, 07:42:45 PM
I really like Summerteeth but among the Wilco fans I am friends with I am the only one who does.
Sumerteeth is wonderful but suffers from the opening track being easily the worst song on the album. She's a Jar just might be my favourite of their songs. The entire run from Being There up to A Ghost is Born is incredible.

Thanks for the tips.  Sorry for hijacking this thread.  (Do we have a Wilco thread?  I have a vague memory of one or something similar).

As you were...

*whistles*

Braintree

Is there really a Michael Jackson album coming out? I knew he had done the odd recording here and there but didn't think he cared enough to formally do something

boxofslice

Quote from: non capisco on January 03, 2009, 12:44:08 PM
Hope so. I'm still a little cold on a lot of 'Sky Blue Sky'.

I really like the album. It has a nice relaxed feel to it and as Tweedy said at the time, he just wanted to write some songs without getting bogged down in the studio technicalities. For me the reason why they're my favourite band apart from being gret live (seen them four times) is that each album has its own sound and feel, yet still remains a Wilco record. Tweedy is probably one of the best songwriters in America in the last ten years.

actwithoutwords

The forthcoming Andrew Bird album is pretty good, from my listens so far. Though he occasionally lapses into blander territory. Also, Here We Go Magic's self-titled debut sounds great. I'm a bit dubious on the Antony album so far I have to say. Not really enjoying it.

Don_Preston

Fingers crossed that Neil Young's Archives boxset will finally get the release. Even better if he does decide to release them on the Compact Disc format

actwithoutwords

Oh, also really really looking forward to a new Clogs album, featuring a bunch of guest vocalists this time apparently, and a Bell Orchestre release.

Quote from: Don_Preston on January 04, 2009, 01:14:08 PM
Fingers crossed that Neil Young's Archives boxset will finally get the release. Even better if he does decide to release them on the Compact Disc format

Definitely coming.  Amazon US are taking pre orders for the DVD and Blu-Ray sets.  Allegedly, he's putting out a CD version later.  I'm a bit concerned that Amazon UK aren't listing it at all; though on reflection, that's probably to do with the DVD and Blu-Ray sets being region 1 encoded, I'd have thought.

Frankly, I want NY's archive set to be available in the UK so much, it's starting to hurt.

purlieu

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on January 03, 2009, 10:01:03 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the new Brand New album doesn't get released until 2010
Oh don't say things like this.  :(

The Masked Unit

Cage has two releases out this year: "I never knew you (ep) and "Depart from me" (LP), the (live, most of the frequency range eliminated) snippets of which I've heard so far point to yet another classic El-p production if nothing else.

Speaking of El-p, he also has an album (currently called "Hold this Piranha" but bound to change) which is hopefully due out this year but has no release date at present. If I thought for a secong that the new Madvillain album would come out this year I'd be very excited

Would like to see something from Interpol and Blonde Redhead, but AFAIK no announcements have been made, and in all probability it's too soon after their last records to expect anything this year.

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: actwithoutwords on January 04, 2009, 01:26:16 PM
Oh, also really really looking forward to a new Clogs album, featuring a bunch of guest vocalists this time apparently

If it's all Berninger I'll be happy.

Glyn

The new manics album featuring songs called 'Joan Collins' existential question time' and 'Me and Stephen Hawking'
should be at very worst an interesting listen. I think the best they can hope for is 'The Holy Bible - the B sides'.

purlieu

I'd love for the Manics to come out with a really WTF record, like I expected Lifeblood to be after hearing Richard Nixon for the first time.  I reckon they still have it in them somewhere.

Don_Preston

Re-released at the end of last year were the out of print albums by seminal guitar-droners Loop, but considering how I've just heard about it, it counts as 2009 release. Expanded to double albums, they contain Peel Sessions and the like.

sublingual

Quote from: purlieu on January 05, 2009, 09:08:49 AM
Oh don't say things like this.  :(

I'm optimistic about a brand new brand new album actually. A Christmas eve message on their myspace said:

We have all been in the studio on and off since about March. The convenience of recording around the corner has been great, but sometimes a little too comfortable setting.
During 2008, we have rounded up some some pre-pro, some real-pro,and some semi-pro material. There are about 15 songs for us to play around with and it seems as though things are winding down and in the final stages.
We cannot exactly tell you when this record will be done, but we can tell you that the new year will bring a bit more excitement from our side of things.

purlieu

Ah, fantastic.  I'm really excited to hear it - even if it's not that good, I'm so curious to see where they've taken their sound this time.  If you project their previous album progression past The Devil And God you end up with something like the second Silver Mt Zion album.
Anyway, I'm sure it'll be ace.

Toad in the Hole

Yes Marvin to A.C. Newman, have heard the new album once and to me it's not quite as good as The Slow Wonder, but then I do love that a lot.  Much more mellow, generally.

CG, didn't realise there was a new Fannies album due.  This is truly great news!

I like Summerteeth too, Caroline.  Can we be friends?  I think Trotters will like Summerteeth also as it's the most 'powerpoppy' of their albums to my mind.

boki

'Summerteeth' is worth getting for 'A Shot In The Arm' alone, the fact that there's a bunch of other cool songs on there is quite a bonus.  In fact, I now need to go and take my own advice, since I originally 'bought' it on a long-gone computer...

I've just picked up the two disc version of 'A Ghost Is Born'.  I've heard it's not Wilco's best, but it's got 'Theologians' on it and I already know I love that.

lazyhour

I think A Ghost Is Born is one of Wilco's best.  I was dying with anticipation after YHF and at first I didn't think A Ghost Is Born quite stacked up against it.  On returning to it a year or so later I realised that the mood and tone of A Ghost Is Born is superior to YHF, which at times has the indie schmaltz which I feel spoils Summerteeth.  A Ghost Is Born is a bit thicker and harder and works all the better for it.

Their essential studio albums for me are YHF, A Ghost Is Born and Being There.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The new Eighties Matchbox B-line Disaster album is apparently set to be relased this year. Along with new records by Doves and Om, this year is already 3 times as interesting to me as the last.

alan nagsworth

Tom Vek, maybe? I certainly bloody hope so, I rediscovered 'We Have Sound' yesterday after about 6 months of involuntary abscence from it and it's such a brilliant album. And it's nearly 4 years since it was released, and he's not toured or anything lately. Noupdates on his website, etc etc... Drowned In Sound apparently like to make jokes that he's dead...

WELL FUCK OFF, HE'LL BE BACK AND THEN YOU WON'T BE LAUGHING.

buttgammon

If Vek doesn't do another album soon I'm going to have to track him down and force him at gunpoint to start recording again.

We Have Sound is just so, so brilliant.