Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2009 records?

Started by Deadeye Dick, January 01, 2009, 10:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Nellie McKay's new album Normal as Blueberry Pie (A Tribute to Doris Day) was released this week. It's been two years since her last album Obligatory Villagers, and sees the return to a major label after her falling out with Sony/Columbia. Nellie is now signed to Verve; those familiar with her work will probably remember the lyric from her debut album Get Away From Me - "Should have signed with Verve instead of Sony".

I'm not really familiar with Doris Day's back catalogue, nor am I usually a fan of cover albums but there is something about this effort that just works. It's not just a cutesy, ironic take on fifties music; Nellie clearly respects the work of Doris Day and has taken great care in crafting this album.

The album lacks Nellie's usual acerbic wit and jaunty, addictive melodies but in return showcases her vocal talent and explores a more softer, graceful side of Miss McKay.

Although I would have preferred an album of original material, Normal as Blueberry Pie is a welcome escape from the autotune dominated pop music of the mainstream.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Shameless on October 19, 2009, 08:34:22 PM
Charlotte Hatherley's newie, New Worlds, was released today. I bought it from Amazon via download (7 squid), and blimey, it's good. Ten insanely catchy rocky tracks, just over half hour in duration. Magic.

Leaving Ash was the best thing she could've done, as this now makes three quality solo records on the trot. Some fantastic songwriting, and I really like her voice. Can be really bootiful at times. I need to get out to see her live this time round.

Wahey! I can't wait to get my hands on her this album!

Ja'moke

Has anyone heard Nerina Pallot's new album? I'm debating whether to get hold of it or not, I really like the single Real Late Starter...

Nerina Pallot - Real Late Starter - Official Music Video

I have Nerina's other albums and as much as I like them, I still prefer her stripped down live performances better.  Shame her version of Steely Dan's 'Peg' never got farther than a promo CD release.

Anyway...  New Tim Buckly live album from the archives:

Live at The Folklore Center, NYC, March 6, 1967

...Listening to it now on Spotify - and it's awesome.

rjd2

So was anyone else totally underwhelmed by the new Muse album?

lazyhour

Why does Nerina's face appear to be made of solid gold?

Paaaaul

Quote from: rjd2 on November 06, 2009, 02:22:36 PM
So was anyone else totally underwhelmed by any Muse album?

Yep

Serge

Fans of Lindstrom and other Nu-Disco types might like the new album by Etienne Jaumet. I know him as half of the John Carpenter/ Goblin tribute act Zombie Zombie (which sounds like I'm slagging them, but I'm not - 'A Land For Renegades' is a great album!), but he's just put out his first solo album, 'Night Music'. It put me in mind of Lindstrom's 'Where You Go I Go Too', possibly because the opening track is a 20 minute plus synth epic, but with added saxophone! There are four shorter tracks in the same vein. It's produced by Carl Craig, as well. I'm just hoping they stick out a vinyl version at some point, but give it a listen, it's great!

Sounds good. I loved the Lindstrom album and anything with Carl Craig's touch is always worth a listen, surely.

purlieu

Quote from: rjd2 on November 06, 2009, 02:22:36 PM
So was anyone else totally underwhelmed by the new Muse album?
Mmm, the 'symphony' is quite pleasant, I enjoyed the R&B-type track, and it's quite nice to hear them doing a full on Queen moment, but otherwise it was utterly Muse-by-numbers, even moreso than they've been before.

I've been listening to the We Were Promised Jetpacks album a lot lately, and I don't know whether I just generally have a soft spot for Scottish indie or what, but I think it's absolutely magnificent and far better than I was ever expecting.  Probably riding second only to Idlewild's Post Electric Blues (hello again, Scotland) in my albums of the year list so far.

Vitalstatistix

Hudson Mohawke's Butter is very nice record, but has only 3 or 4 stand out chunes. Tracks like "Gluetooth" and "ZOooOom" are the finest for me, because they align his s*****c playfulness with solid beats and grimey synth hooks. I like his take on dubsteppy electronic glitch-hop, it's cutting edge but with some retro lines and a sense of humour. More fun than the slightly similar but serious Flying Lotus record.

purlieu

Quote from: rjd2 on August 14, 2009, 11:23:33 PM

Eyedea & Abilities....By The Throat
Very good stuff, much more abstract and less hip hoppy than usual but it's a top notch release. It certainly does not outstay its welcome as it only has 11 tracks and are all quite short. Along with P.O.S it is one of my favorite rap albums of the year.

Thanks, just listened to this and it's out-fucking-standing.

ThickAndCreamy

I completely agree, it's a magnificent record. The subject matter is quite interesting as well, seeing as half of the songs are  just about chemical imbalances.

However, with the beats being as good as they are I could settle for some poorer lyrics and still love it.

I really do need to listen to some more modern hip-hop.

purlieu

I haven't given the lyrics a proper listen yet, my initial judgement was all about the music, and that rarely happens with hip-hop really.

Some surprises have appeared in my trawl through new music, including really enjoying the new Mars Volta album, and the Biffy Clyro record being nowhere near as terrible as 'Mountains' and 'The Captain' would suggest.

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on November 12, 2009, 12:50:02 AM
I really do need to listen to some more modern hip-hop.

Try the new Anti-Pop Consortium record, Fluorescent Black. I thought this new E&A album was horrible, emo-rap by the way. I used to think Eyedea had a nice flow but this is stomach-churning.

chand

Quote from: clingfilm portent on November 12, 2009, 04:46:47 PM
Try the new Anti-Pop Consortium record, Fluorescent Black.

Listening to this now, it's fucking ace so far. Was slightly apprehensive about it since some of their work since 'Arrythmia' has been patchy (Priest's album was largely balls, Beans' last solo record had some pretty ill-advised stuff on it), and bands that break up for 7 years and get back together don't normally work, but this is very good stuff by the sounds of it.

Quote from: chand on November 16, 2009, 09:15:37 PM
Listening to this now, it's fucking ace so far. Was slightly apprehensive about it since some of their work since 'Arrythmia' has been patchy (Priest's album was largely balls, Beans' last solo record had some pretty ill-advised stuff on it), and bands that break up for 7 years and get back together don't normally work, but this is very good stuff by the sounds of it.

Yup, its a delight. I'm not exactly well versed in their early work, and from what I've heard it's nowhere as tight as this record sounds. Anyway, album of the year for me.

Quote from: Paaaaul on November 16, 2009, 11:38:25 PM
If you like it so much - remix it!!!!!!!

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/11/antipop-consortium-remix-contest.html

Oh my goodness me.

I actually flunked the last remix of theirs I tried for the track Capricorn One a month or so ago...

Thank you, I've decided to win the competition in your honour.

CaledonianGonzo

A late contender for compilation of the year from the rarely-less-than-righteous Soul Jazz records:

Sure, some of the selections might be a little obvious, but than any comp of this nature would be incomplete without the likes of T Plays It Cool or Across 110th Street.

Regardless - it's both tite and pimp dick.

Serge

That is a great compilation, with the exemplary sleevenotes you'd expect from Soul Jazz, but may I also recommend this fella:

Bob Stanley really puts a good comp together.

Marty McFly

Read a few reviews of this and decided to check it out.. beautiful, rustic, ghostly Americana with a vocal sound a lot like Ryan Adams on some songs, and Paul Simon on others.

Here's a live video of a song on the album.. mm, it's going down a treat on a cold winter's night.

The Fireplace: AA Bondy - "Mightiest of Guns"

http://www.myspace.com/aabondy

rjd2

So then I checked out a hip hopper called Fashawn album and its really slick stuff, fans of Dilated Peoples should like it. The lads a very talented rapper and its understandable why its got such good reviews online.

Some tracks from it....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrEIIRVZ9g
and this featuring Evidence from Dilated Peoples....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3agcQNvZWtA

the other album which I have been enjoying has been the following from Cunninlynguists

Quality stuff from an act whose work I kept meaning to check out.

rjd2

That Fashawn album sounds better with every play, those two tracks upon reflection are nowhere the best stuff on the record. Quality hip hop really.
One more recommendation

For those who don't know its a collaboration album between the Black Keys and loads of rapper folks. Their is lots of Wu Tang dudes on tracks and the likes of Monch, Q-Tip, Mos Def all make appearances. Its very good stuff really. Here is some highlights. this track has Monch and RZa on board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvmppAUuuv8&feature=related
Mos Def and Billy Danze of MOP on this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttwuRgY88Wo&feature=related

Its very good and their is youtube videos of the tracks been done if interested.