Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:07:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Postal Service

Started by imitationleather, February 02, 2004, 06:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

I recently - ahem - "bought" their album, 'Give Up' (oh come on, it's not like I was ever going to actually pay money for it) and I was extremely surprised by it.

Firstly, it wasn't shit. I had read a recommendation on the music discussion pages on Ceefax, which is usually full of idiots arguing over whether or not Good Charlotte are punk and if Busted are the new Led Zeppelin (seriously, it sounds like I'm making it up, but I'm not).

Secondly, I was expecting it to be American rock type stuff, but it's actually electronica and really really good.

If you haven't heard it, I heartily suggest that you either buy it or - ahem - "buy" it. Seriously, you won't regret it.

I am weasel

Seconded...one of the surprise gems of last year...and if I can suggest you BUY IT coz it's on the indie label SUB POP, and not on a Major 'cashmonster' label.

But of course if you're skint then 'buying it' is always acceptable.

And while you're there you can also buy the new 'Clouddead' album (called 'Ten') which is coming out on the 8th of March. It's fucking top!

They have a single called 'Dead Dogs Two' which is out now and features a gorgeous BOARDS OF CANADA remix...

imitationleather

I am probably going to buy a hard copy. Not only because they're on a small label, but also because if I download something I like a lot I buy it so I don't feel so much like a dirty rotten scoundrel.

I'll check out that other band you suggested. Cor, I'm going to have to get a job at this rate...

poison popcorn

yeah. i um... bought... some of it too, and was quite impressed. not sure which album i... ah... bought, but some good tracks were:

natural anthem
sleeping in
district sleeps alone tonight

got some DNTEL from recommendations in the same thread and was very happy, so cheers to whoever mentioned them too.

weekender

I am particularly after the video to 'Such Great Heights', I caught that on MTV or somewhere when I was arseholed, and it stuck in my head as a nice video and song, first time I'd heard of them.

I meant to download the album, but forgot about it.

ccab

I downloaded the album on the strength of these drooling reviews and having listened to it I'm convinced you're all either mad or American teenieboppers. The synth music's strong & on it's own I'd rate the album very highly. But it's all ruined by that guy's girly, flimsy voice - how can anyone bear that wistful adolescent croon? & those lyrics deserve that voice. Together they castrate both the music's testicles. I can accept a few of the ladies might like it - but burglar-kidnapping hard fuckers like weekender? surely not.

falafel

I 'bought' this, and then actually went and *bought* it because I liked it so much. I still can't get over how good it is. I reckon the guy's voice is just right for the tracks: it needs to match the fragility of the 'glitch' backing; everything sounds like it could fall apart any second.

If you can find for download 'the dream of evan and chan', I'd go for that as well; it's the first instance of these guys collaborating, on DNtel's album. It's possibly better than the whole of Give Up... possibly.

chand

Quote from: "I am weasel"And while you're there you can also buy the new 'Clouddead' album (called 'Ten') which is coming out on the 8th of March. It's fucking top!

Yes, I agree with this, I found a cheap promo of it and it's lovely, although I suspect despite it not being as off-the-wall as the first record it may still be an acquired taste.

Macerate and Petrify

Agreed, Give Up is a fantastic album, I've been pimping it off to people for a few months now and everyone seems to like it. I love 'We Will Become Silhouettes' and 'Such Great Heights'.