Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:37:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Words that sound like nails on a chalkboard

Started by steevbishop, February 05, 2004, 12:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steevbishop

Inspired in part by gazzyk1ns People or "things" which, implausibly, you or your mate(s) have no knowledge of thread, and partly by my own frustrations, I had to see if I was the only one that finds particular words, and their use, horribly jarring to my ears.

Examples:
LUSH
Oh, good Christ. There aren't many words in the English lingo that get my spine agitated, but this is so there it's unreal. Luscious: now that's sexy, there's nothing wrong with that, given a rare and considered airing; but to hear someone say 'Yeaaaah, that's lush' in regard to maybe food/a naked chick/an idea or whatever, is plain wrong. It sounds limp, and the speaker always sounds like they're a thicktard when saying it.

TASTY
A perfect example of how whacking a Y on the end of a word opens doors to lyrical laziness. Say it aloud, and hear how pathetic a word it actually is. As inappropriate as it is to describe a good looking woman in a builder's manner, I find it far worse when it's used to describe food. "Ooh, this is tasty!" Gah! You bellend! If someone told me my cooking was tasty, I'd be branding their lips with a smouldering poker before they even finished the word. There are far better words out there, if you appreciate the flavour, so go find them.
The only bye I give this is Samuel L. Jackson's line in Pulp Fiction. The fucker made it work and I give him credit for that.

What's yours?

Purple Tentacle

Actually at the end of a sentence, usually uttered by Student Grant types, or Richard "Cunt" Curtis.

It's a one-word telling off.

Bilko

How many more 'Words/Sayings/Phrase you don't like' threads can there be?

zozman

Literally.... when it's not followed by something literal.

"Literally by the skin of his teeth" is a good example.  Oh and "how long is a piece of string".  That fucks me off too.

Timmay

I've mentioned it before, but my ex-boss used to use the terms "a wash-up meeting", and "make sure we're singing from the same hymn sheet". That fucked me off.

And an ex-colleague used to finish off almost every sentence eith the word "chap" when talking to you. Grrrrr......

Vermschneid Mehearties

Like.

Yeah, it'd be difficult for some things, but like y'know, if we like stopped using it like in this context so much, I'd be like pretty happy.

Mak'ems are exempt, as it is part of their identity.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "zozman"Literally.... when it's not followed by something literal.

"Literally by the skin of his teeth" is a good example.

Or "I literally died of embarrassment." Oh, so I'm talking to your ghost am I? Well careful with that ectoplasm - this shirt was clean on today.

Serendipity. Some people rate this as their favourite word. Gah! To me it sounds incredibly dopey. It always makes me think "serendip-shitty". Howitzer. Now that's a proper word, although that could be down to my Geordie parents.

zozman

All of these are SO true......  grrrrrr!

Krang

"On the way" instead of "by the way"

"Tri-ology" instead of "Trilogy" ?!?!

"In flames" instead of "On fire"

Johnny Yesno

Jackarse. That's another one. It's fucking jackass - a male donkey or, by metaphor, a fool. It's nothing to do with the American word for botty. Jeez!

Muppet. When not referring to bits of cloth on sticks.

Des Nilsen

"Literally by the skin of his teeth" is a good example.  Oh and "how long is a piece of string".  That fucks me off too.

Delia Smith once informed the nation that:
"in modern supermarkets these days, you can literally shop round the world"

what does she mean?

oh and,
"what's the magic word?", when you haven't said 'please'

king mob

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"Like.

Yeah, it'd be difficult for some things, but like y'know, if we like stopped using it like in this context so much, I'd be like pretty happy.

Mak'ems are exempt, as it is part of their identity.

Instead of a swear box i banned our sales reps using the word like out of context or using the phrase "you know" in every fucking pitch!!

It was  successful & the English language was saved for another day.

Matthias

My mother starts every sentence with, "d'you know.." and it fucking irritates me. There's a lad here at work who says "and whatever" every 5 seconds and my boss litters most sentences with, "whassaname" or "on that note".

On the other hand, I realised only 5 minutes ago, that p**i is a funny word. Even funnier than tit.

Say it out loud...

p**i

the hum

Some BBC Scotland football coverage a while back, the summariser (Sandy Clarke, for those who care) uttered "The ref has literally gotten away with murder tonight".  Even the commentator (Rob McLean) seemed to notice the distinct absence of dead bodies lying round the field, for his response was "..er, surely not literally".

Des Nilsen

Cambrian Times

Ginger to describe someone with dark red hair. It's outdated and inaccurate.
Ginger is too pale in  colour to be accurate in describing that darker shade of red hair. Strawberry Blonde I can see as ginger but not the real reddish hair.
(Re A**d M*****n - for an example)

Cinnamon I find is far more accurate.

zozman

Quote from: "Cambrian Times"Ginger to describe someone with dark red hair. It's outdated and inaccurate.
Ginger is too pale in  colour to be accurate in describing that darker shade of red hair. Strawberry Blonde I can see as ginger but not the real reddish hair.
(Re A**d M*****n - for an example)

Cinnamon I find is far more accurate.

You're ginger aren't you?

me

Quote from: "zozman""how long is a piece of string".

Twice as long from the middle to either end is your answer there young fella me lad.

To answer the original Q: "Many thanks" annoys me no end. One will do thanks, just a thanks, not a "many thanks", fuck off !!

zozman

Quote from: "me"
Quote from: "zozman""how long is a piece of string".

To answer the original Q: "Many thanks" annoys me no end. One will do thanks, just a thanks, not a "many thanks", fuck off !!

Jesus.  I forgot about  "thanking you" *shudder*

steevbishop

Quote from: "me"To answer the original Q: "Many thanks" annoys me no end. One will do thanks, just a thanks, not a "many thanks", fuck off !!

Hmmm, I've been including that on the end of every email I send at work. You make a good point, I need to quit it.

Couplathanks,
Bish

Narshty

The use of the word 'subtle' to describe something when what is actually meant is 'low-key'. The Office is a particularly pertinent example.

imitationleather

I know someone who, whenever you explain your troubles to him, says, "Bad luck" in a faintly smug tone. It drives me up the friggin' wall.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "steevbishop"
Quote from: "me"To answer the original Q: "Many thanks" annoys me no end. One will do thanks, just a thanks, not a "many thanks", fuck off !!

Hmmm, I've been including that on the end of every email I send at work. You make a good point, I need to quit it.

Couplathanks,
Bish

Oops! I do that too.

A thank,
JYN

Purple Tentacle

Now I think about it, "Chalkboard" is a word I hate.

Invariably these words only get changed, not because black people object to them (nobody in their right mind would object to using the word "black" to describe something that is black), but because middle-class whitey thinks that the poor ethnics might get confused and angry.

Scotland is the knacker's yard of the English language. In particular, I enjoy the indiscriminate use of the word 'pure'. For example, a recent conversation on the train between two Burberry-clad youngsters developed thus;
First youth: "Ah pure saw that 'Celebrity' thing last night.'
Second youth: "Aye, so did ah. See that Jordan? Hur baps are pure huge!"
First youth: "Sure they ur! Ah'd pure like tae....(he broke off abruptly, spotting my obvious interest)  whit the fuck ur you lookin at??? Ah'll pure fuckin burst ye, ya cunt!!!!"

Pure unnecessary, sure it is?

steevbishop

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Now I think about it, "Chalkboard" is a word I hate.

*gulp*