Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:53:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Words that sound like nails on a chalkboard

Started by steevbishop, February 05, 2004, 12:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sore bottom mum

I hate the use of "at the end of the day..."

It's usually followed by some smug, stupid and obvious piece of wisdom.

Doctor Stamen

I know someone who says 'mint' all the time, highly infuriating.  Everything's "fookin' mint".  If he keeps it up for much longer then I may have to drive a tractor up his arse.

Ironic.  Especially when used in the context of raining on your wedding day.

sore bottom mum

"I'm creative" is overused...

...humans are a creative species!

weekender

In my experience, people who say "I'm creative" are not actually creative at all but like to think of themselves as pioneers, when in fact their ideas were invented in the 14th century by a chap called Stuart.

sore bottom mum

....and upper middle class woman who describe objects as 'jolly'!

weekender

Maybe they're referring to jolly objects.

sore bottom mum

terminallyrelaxed

Scenario - go on say it out loud. Feel like you need a wash now don't you? It has nasty connotations.
Jubbly Fuck. Off.

JesusAndYourBush

SCORELINE
"And what's the scoreline Bob."
"It's currently 3-nil Jim."
It's score, just score, not friggin scoreline.
I blame that Angela Rippon, she started it when she had a short-running quiz show on the BBC at teatime sometime in the late 80's.  She always referred to the score as the scoreline.

SIBLING
I just hate that word.  People who use it should have one of their arms ripped off and beaten with the soggy end.

VUNERABLE
The word is vuLnerable, with an L, you silly, silly, silly, silly fucking media arsehole.  So many people on the tv and radio don't pronounce the first L and it drives me up the wall.

perrise

What I hate the most is how most people simply cannot pronounce 'mischievous'.  Its not 'mis-CHEEV-ee-us', its 'mischief-ous', you silly shits.

DonkeyRods

Because - the boss's wife uses that word to turn a quick answer into an hour long epic describing a week's worth of irrelevant detail

El Unicornio, mang

It's an obvious one, but 'axe' used by black Americans, and now black Englishmen who want to be American. It's 'ask' you fuck!!! I understand that some people have difficulty pronouncing s and k together, but most of them are just doing it to sound 'street'.
In fact, slang in general I hate. Ghetto fellows who say "aaaaiiiight" and "knowwomsayin'?" after every other word annoy me, as do the young folk from my home city who just can't seem to grasp the English language. "divent", "naarrr", "ganin'", "toon". Grrrrrrr

sore bottom mum

Quote from: "The Unicorn"It's an obvious one, but 'axe' used by black Americans, and now black Englishmen who want to be American. It's 'ask' you fuck!!! I understand that some people have difficulty pronouncing s and k together, but most of them are just doing it to sound 'street'.
In fact, slang in general I hate. Ghetto fellows who say "aaaaiiiight" and "knowwomsayin'?" after every other word annoy me, as do the young folk from my home city who just can't seem to grasp the English language. "divent", "naarrr", "ganin'", "toon". Grrrrrrr

mmm...Without wishing to sound like Guardian reader, I think all of the above is easy to say when you are a balanced and confident of who you are. I think the use of this 'street' slang is just a way some people can identify themselves with others around them. If you grow up where this use of language is common, it's natural that you will adopt it. It's also human nature that different groups of people find each other irritating.

Sorry for sounding smug and like i know what i'm talking about, because i don't really.....it's still more important than anything that people can voice their opinions without thinking about being politically correct.... but i have got a black cat.

My biggest irritation is people who chew chewing gum loudly behind me on the bus.
I've finished now (someone shoot me)

Dr. Gizmonic

Sprog. Sprogling. Sproglet.

I hate parents.

Raminagrobis

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"SCORELINE

VUNERABLE
The word is vuLnerable, with an L, you silly, silly, silly, silly fucking media arsehole.  So many people on the tv and radio don't pronounce the first L and it drives me up the wall.

That reminds me, I was listening to the World Service the other day and some stupid bint had phoned in to complain that the sloppy diction of BBC reporters was making it impossible for her to teach 'proper' English to the kids. Her complaint was that nobody seems to pronounce the 'h' in words that begin 'wh' (her contention was that these words should be aspirated so they sound more like 'hw').
"When I hear the word 'white', I say to myself: what, as in 'Isle of Wight'? And the pronunciation of  'whales' causes massive confusion when made to sound the same as 'Wales'."

I must admit I had never noticed this pattern before in my own speech and have  flagellated myself accordingly.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"

VUNERABLE

Mind, it was recently pointed out to me that we Brits don't say the letter 'L' in calm, the Americans do. I refuse to say it with an l though

gazzyk1ns

Yeah the Americans put a lot of effort into getting their accents around "calm", don't they... the end product isn't really worth it though, always comes out as "caulm". It's interesting how they inexplicably elongate some words, instead of "condom" it has to be "cahhhhhhndm" with them.

Ronster

Not quite the same I know but the words 'flannel' and 'froth' really get my back up - just horrible sounding words....and 'gusset' is pretty rotten too.

(and as for a frothy flannel gusset......ewwwww)

Cerys

"Good call"  (grrr)
"Exetera" (grrrr)
"Say again?" (grrrrslash)

Cambrian Times

Quote from: "zozman"

You're ginger aren't you?

Nope. It's dark brown.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Genrela mispronunciations do irritate me immensely, and despite what the accepted street drawl is when you ocme to actually writing things down there's no escaping how Axe is spelt strangely ask. A lot of people in the Us I've spoken to (on ye nette) have also tended towards phonetic spellings like dought instead of doubt- which is slightly irritating
Worse though are mispronunciations close to home like Texes instead of texts, or pacifically instead of specifically.

Then again all words can make your ears bleed if the accent (and pronunciaitom) are grotesque enough. I can't stand pretty much any english accent as a result. I probably don't like many foreign (clumsy word yuck) accents and don't really understand why some people go gaga for them, surely tone and timbre make a voice sexier. ?

steevbishop

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns""cahhhhhhndm"

Damn near squirted tea from my nose, you git!

Matthias

Living in the Black Country, I have to endure the severe misuse of the English language every day.

PROBLY - Probably
ONY - Only
IT'S MARN - It's mine
I PUCK IT UP - I picked it up
IT'S RUNG - It's wrong
I AY AY I - I'm not
YOME A CUNT - You are a cunt
HAA BIST YER AA KID LIKE - Hello

The Black Country... a place best avoided

NattyDread

People pronouncing 'nuclear' as 'nuculer'. That has got right on my thrupenny bits for as long as I can remember.

sore bottom mum

The Bejesus

Quote from: "Smackhead Kangaroo"General mispronunciations do irritate me immensely

Couldn't agree more.  If it weren't for GBH charges and jail I would happily punch anyone full in the face who says "misinterpretated" or similar.

Grrr.....

Matthias

Quote from: "The Bejesus"
Quote from: "Smackhead Kangaroo"General mispronunciations do irritate me immensely

Couldn't agree more.  If it weren't for GBH charges and jail I would happily punch anyone full in the face who says "misinterpretated" or similar.

Grrr.....

I don't understand, Bejesus, I think I may have misenterpretated you.

*SMACK!*

Oh, my nose! He wasn't lying you know!

The Bejesus

Quote from: "Matthias"
Quote from: "The Bejesus"

Grrr.....

I don't understand, Bejesus, I think I may have misenterpretated you.

*SMACK!*

Oh, my nose! He wasn't lying you know!

I'm sorry, here's a kick in the balls to take your mind off your face.

descends into slapstick

MonkeyDrummer

In the Boots round the corner from my work the girls never stops asking me if i have a boots's card.