Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:21:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old School Hip Hop (Yesh Yesh Ya'll)

Started by Ja'moke, January 11, 2009, 07:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

I'm a massive hip hop fan, have been for many years and recently I've been getting a great taste for some old school hip hop after seeing the '30 Years of Hip Hop' documenatry. I've always been in to De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys etc but want to widen my hip hop collection from the 'Golden Age', I've got bits and bobs from various artists but there is always room from more...

So any strong recommendations? The last few weeks I've been downloading a lot of Boogie Down Productions, Kool Moe Dee and some earlier Pete Rock stuff.

Lee

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Perhaps not quite the "golden age", but you can't go far wrong with this.

Goldentony

Schoolly D - Saturday Night, The Album
Steady B - Bring The Beat Back
Whodini - Escape
Just Ice - Back To The Old School
Divine Sounds - What People Do For Money (12" single)

All worth a look at. That Divine Sounds records in fucking incredible.

Funcrusher

Run DMC - Raising Hell and the first two Eric B and Rakim albums are pretty essential. A decent best of Sugarhill comp.

Ja'moke

I've got Entroducing, bought my brother it on vinyl from Chrismtas actually.

I've been looking at some Schoolly D actually, might check some more of his stuff out.

Thanks for the suggestions. And to the Google tag, Google is evil, it gives you too much, I trust peoples taste on here...most of the time, so thought I'd ask.

Are any of Slick Rick's albums worth getting?

Don_Preston

You can't go wrong with LL Cool J's "Radio."

Goldentony

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 11, 2009, 08:04:19 PM
I've got Entroducing, bought my brother it on vinyl from Chrismtas actually.

I've been looking at some Schoolly D actually, might check some more of his stuff out.

Thanks for the suggestions. And to the Google tag, Google is evil, it gives you too much, I trust peoples taste on here...most of the time, so thought I'd ask.

The Great Adventures Of Slick is worth a listen

Pharcyde's "Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde"
Leaders Of The New School "T.I.M.E.: The Inner Minds Eye" (now out of print, so go torrent seeking. You'll know them from the Tribe Called Quest track "Scenario" and as the band that Busta Rhymes made his name in).

Nik Drou

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 11, 2009, 08:04:19 PM

God yes.  In fact, just get all of them.

Anyhow, No-one's mentioned Ultramagnetic M.Cs yet.  Go get 'Critical Beatdown', 'Funk Your Head Up' and 'Four Horsemen'.  Go get Tim Dog's 'Penicillin on Wax'.  Go get Kool G Rap and Polo's stuff.  Go get Cypress Hill's first record. Go get Masta Ace's 'Slaughtahouse'.  Go get  KMD's 'Black Bastards'. Go get Wu-tang's '36 Chambers' and the first solo records by ODB, Method Man, Ghostface Killah, GZA and Raekwon.

CaledonianGonzo

I'd actually argue that the Old School is better represented by compilations rather than single artist albums (obvious exceptions like Public Enemy, De L Soul, Beastie Boys, NWA, etc. aside).

The Hip-Hop Don't Stop compilations are as good as any (especially volume 2).

Or, speaking of DJ Shadow, this could be worth a look:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/148249-dj-shadow-the-4-track-era-bundle

ThickAndCreamy

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet).
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
Run DMC - Raising Hell or Run DMC - Greatest Hits

I would recommend more but old school hip hop albums are usually too inconsistent for my liking, with only a few great songs with huge amounts of filler. It's horrible recommending greatest hits albums usually but for stuff like this, it's often needed.

tarmac

Back to the Old School : Adventures on the Wheels of Steel by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.  3 discs chock full of old school brilliance, which covers all the 'essential' stuff with none of the crappy radio edits.  Seems a bit pricier than when I first got it, cheap as 'owt second hand though.

N.W.A. and the Posse is worth a look too, though it's not really an N.W.A. record, just a selection of various Dre produced tracks from the late 80's.  The cover art should be a fair indication of what to expect...

If you like Public Enemy maybe give Critical Beatdown  by Ultramagnetic MC's a shot - very similar in their old East Cost style beats to Public Enemy, but in my opinion UMC have vastly superior flows, (which is in no small part due to Kool Kieth's presence).

Lord, as a middle-class white man, I feel like a fuckin' tool using this terminology.

edit: oops, Nik Drou's just mentioned UMC.  Take this as an extra affirmation or something.

Good thread

Kurtis Blow's self titled album
Criminal Minded by Boogie Down Productions
Straight out the Jungle by the Jungle Brothers

and I echo most of the other posts

only_sleeping

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 11, 2009, 08:43:13 PM

Or, speaking of DJ Shadow, this could be worth a look:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/148249-dj-shadow-the-4-track-era-bundle

the first cd in this collection (can't buy it now) is great stuff - lots of artists mentioned in the thread in it.

further to the nwa suggestions, i've always preffered solo ice cube. try - amerikkka's most wanted or death certificate.

also try:

long live the kane by big daddy kane
strictly business by e.p.m.d.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Nik Drou on January 11, 2009, 08:37:27 PM
God yes.  In fact, just get all of them.

Anyhow, No-one's mentioned Ultramagnetic M.Cs yet.  Go get 'Critical Beatdown', 'Funk Your Head Up' and 'Four Horsemen'.  Go get Tim Dog's 'Penicillin on Wax'.  Go get Kool G Rap and Polo's stuff.  Go get Cypress Hill's first record. Go get Masta Ace's 'Slaughtahouse'.  Go get  KMD's 'Black Bastards'. Go get Wu-tang's '36 Chambers' and the first solo records by ODB, Method Man, Ghostface Killah, GZA and Raekwon.

I've got lots of Wu Tang stuff. I'm kind of looking for real old schol stuff, early to late 80's. My brother is in to Ultramagnetic MC's, not heard much of their stuff myself though.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 11, 2009, 08:43:13 PM
I'd actually argue that the Old School is better represented by compilations rather than single artist albums (obvious exceptions like Public Enemy, De L Soul, Beastie Boys, NWA, etc. aside).

The Hip-Hop Don't Stop compilations are as good as any (especially volume 2).

Not a big fan of compilations, in any genre, not sure why, I just have a thing for listening to the album in its complete and original form.

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way. A lot of stuff I've got,  I'm not a 'newbie' to hip hop by any means, just wanting to get hold of some more old school stuff, ones that you don't hear as much of.

Run DMC and NWA are those hip hop groups that you know so much about and know how well praised they are, but for some reason I have never bought one of their albums. I know most of their hits and their cultural impact on hip hop but never actually listened to a full album.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: The Region Legion on January 11, 2009, 08:33:55 PM
Pharcyde's "Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde"

YES!

Also, Arrested Development's album '3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of...' is FANTASTIC. Plenty of awesome funky beats, plenty of Sly & The Family Stone samples... and great rhymes interspersed with equally great vocal hooks. I find De La Soul et al to be a bit wishy-washy sometimes, I have to be in the right mood... but the Arrested Development album is an album for many occasions and one that is always well-received by my friends when they're round.

Vitalstatistix

I like KMD's Black Bastards, does that count?

Goldentony

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 11, 2009, 10:56:50 PM

Not a big fan of compilations, in any genre, not sure why, I just have a thing for listening to the album in its complete and original form.

The Sugar Hill Records Story

Everything essential ever released by Sugar Hill records, a lot of these are only available as 12" single anyway so it isn't taking anything away from it.

dry_run

I agree that you should start with a compilation. A lot of old school hip-hop has terrible production. The rawness of it though does sometimes create sounds that are completely out of this world and almost not hip-hop. Check P.S.K. - Schoolly D or Paper Thin - MC Lyte.

The other joy of getting into this stuff is that you'll find tunes that have been sampled and referenced by tunes you know. Phrases and rhymes that appear again and again throughout hip-hop started in these records. For Slick Rick check out La-di-da-di and you'll see what I mean.

There's a lot of shit though so looking at hip-hop don't stop comps is fine. It's not really an album based artform. This mixtape is my favourite. No idea how you get hold of it though! http://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/dj_cash_money/old_school_need_ta_learno_plot_ii/

dry_run

Goldentony

If you look hard enough in the right places you can find compilations of every year from that book

Ja'moke

Quote from: Goldentony on January 12, 2009, 01:12:14 PM
The Sugar Hill Records Story

Everything essential ever released by Sugar Hill records, a lot of these are only available as 12" single anyway so it isn't taking anything away from it.

Okay that does look pretty decent. Thanks for that.

Quote from: dry_run on January 12, 2009, 01:41:00 PM
I agree that you should start with a compilation. A lot of old school hip-hop has terrible production. The rawness of it though does sometimes create sounds that are completely out of this world and almost not hip-hop. Check P.S.K. - Schoolly D or Paper Thin - MC Lyte.

I think I kind of gave off the wrong impression. I'm not new to old school hip hop by any means, I'm just looking to find some more lesser known artists, basically from the time hip hop first started emerging. MC Lyte's "Lyte as a Rock" is a great record, good call on her. Thanks for the heads up on that book though.

But this thread can definitely be used for those getting in to old school hip hop from scratch too. Or just use it as a general discussion of old school hip hop as I don't think there is a dedicated thread to the genre.

Also, what are the best hip hop documentaries? As I mentioned earlier, the 30 Years of Hip Hop one is pretty good but is kind of an overview and doesn't get right in to the nitty and gritty of a specific era. I've heard that the 'Scratch' documentary is one of the best...

Goldentony

QuoteAlso, what are the best hip hop documentaries? As I mentioned earlier, the 30 Years of Hip Hop one is pretty good but is kind of an overview and doesn't get right in to the nitty and gritty of a specific era. I've heard that the 'Scratch' documentary is one of the best

Sort of related - there's a documentary called Style Wars which is all about the graffiti artists and breakdancers (mostly the rock steady crew) from the early 80's New York which is really good, it doesn't focus on any of the musicians but you get to see a really good insight into the genre and different parts of it (the four elements of hip hop and all that) as it was just becoming popular. There's a second disc which has follow up interviews with a lot of people from the original too.

Not a documentary but you can get the Shiggar Fraggar shows with the Invisibl Skratch Piklz on video (only episodes 3 - 5 i think) which are worth getting if you can find them anywhere

Lord Mandrake

Big Daddy Kane, Intelligent Hoodlum, 3rd Base, X Clan, Brand Nubian.. If you wanna get real old school or pre-school check out the Last Poets..

There was a British group "Caveman" they were fuckin A...

rjd2

Quote from: only_sleeping on January 11, 2009, 09:18:51 PM

further to the nwa suggestions, i've always preffered solo ice cube. try - amerikkka's most wanted or death certificate.

It's a disgrace the way that people look down on Ice Cube these days. For a guy has done more for hip hop than the majority of backpack nerd rappers (some I like by the way) he gets very little credit, while a an average rapper like Dre who has every decent verse ghost written is held as some sort of lyrical god. Sorry I don't mean to divert the thread, I am just myself relistening to his early stuff and wow the guy was incredible. Sadly the only way he will ever get the respect for it if he dies I suspect.
Alan's tip of Arrested Developments first few albums is sound. They are the awesomeness.
Oh yeah for Cube Death Certificate and The Predator is awesome.

Ja'moke

I've got Death Certificate but I never really warmed to it. Although I can't say I'm a massive fan of gangsta rap anyway. Perhaps I should try AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted though, as I believe that is when he starts developing a bit of a political edge to his lyrics.

Fry

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 12, 2009, 02:10:08 AM
YES!

Also, Arrested Development's album '3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of...' is FANTASTIC. Plenty of awesome funky beats, plenty of Sly & The Family Stone samples... and great rhymes interspersed with equally great vocal hooks. I find De La Soul et al to be a bit wishy-washy sometimes, I have to be in the right mood... but the Arrested Development album is an album for many occasions and one that is always well-received by my friends when they're round.
Arrested Development are amazing, you're right. But don't you find their constant god bothering a bit grating at times?

Also, I still can't get into Bizarre ride 2...

Digable Planet's first album is really worth listening to.

only_sleeping

Quote from: rjd2 on January 12, 2009, 06:03:55 PM
It's a disgrace the way that people look down on Ice Cube these days. For a guy has done more for hip hop than the majority of backpack nerd rappers (some I like by the way) he gets very little credit, while a an average rapper like Dre who has every decent verse ghost written is held as some sort of lyrical god.

maybe something to do with the acting career? i'm not saying i think it's justified, - it's not - but i think in some people's eyes, cube's music has been diluted by the films he's picked.
he was a brilliant lyricist with razor sharp delivery, and is light years ahead of not just most rappers today, but most of his peers too.

____

also, this site has some pretty useful mixes that people might be interested in. nothing spectacular, but fun nonethless.

non capisco

Quote from: rjd2 on January 12, 2009, 06:03:55 PM

while a an average rapper like Dre who has every decent verse ghost written is held as some sort of lyrical god.

I don't think anyone thinks Dre is a lyrical God, do they? A production God maybe but I've always heard disparaging things said about his clodhopping MCing.

ThickAndCreamy

I've never heard anyone congratulate Dre on his lyrical skill as it's so blatantly obvious he has so little. 2001 is a fine example of this, spouting cliched crap repeatedly which is clearly mostly boring, uninspired crap at that. His beats can be wonderful, his flow and lyrics on most occasions are not. However, I do love his flow on Express Yourself by N.W.A., one of my favourite 80's hip hop songs. His production is constantly praised to high heaven though, which is justified on some occasions (The Chronic) but for most it seems to be completely average.

It's like critics praising Timbaland as a "credible" hip hop producer, just fuck off, he's awful.

It's hard to talk about this without laughing at the absurdity of this discussion.