Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:32:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old School Hip Hop (Yesh Yesh Ya'll)

Started by Ja'moke, January 11, 2009, 07:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

I think Timbaland uses the same drum loop on everyone of his beats.

Although I've got to admit, I love his work on Bubba Sparxxx's 'Deliverance'.

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on January 12, 2009, 08:19:17 PM
I've never heard anyone congratulate Dre on his lyrical skill as it's so blatantly obvious he has so little. 2001 is a fine example of this, spouting cliched crap repeatedly which is clearly mostly boring, uninspired crap.

And it's not even his own cliched crap!

VegaLA

Don't strike compilations completly.
The Streetsounds electro collection from the early 80s are well worth diging up. Anyone into Hip Hop back in 83/84 would rush to the record store in their local High st and get the latest edition.
I managed to find them online myself and they brought back some sweet memories.

Some familiar names you guys have dug up here. I may try to dig up some 'Full force' and 'UTFO' stuff. I really liked 'Doug E Fresh' but after the success of the Inspector Gadget ("The Show") single it was no longer cool to like him. The spat between him and the Fat Boys/Kurtis blow was amusing, watching Dougie on TOTP put the boot in during his performance of 'The Show'.
Who remembers the Roxanne Shante/Real Roxanne spat?

Ooohh.. I think this is the TOTP performance of 'The show'.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gww98XxU1lc[/youtube]

I just remembered how my early 90s were spent, mainly calling up the box channal requesting 2 Live Crew vids.

CaledonianGonzo

As good a place as any to mention the fact that Paul's Boutique is 20 - yes, 20! - years old this year.  To celebrate, it seems there's an anniversary edition coming out with (presumably) some bonus features, as well as a DVD-style commentary from the Boys themselves.

If you don't ready have it, Ja'moke, you should consider the original album an essential acquisition.

Goldentony

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 13, 2009, 07:00:14 AM

As good a place as any to mention the fact that Paul's Boutique is 20 - yes, 20! - years old this year.  To celebrate, it seems there's an anniversary edition coming out with (presumably) some bonus features, as well as a DVD-style commentary from the Boys themselves.

If you don't ready have it, Ja'moke, you should consider the original album an essential acquisition.

They're so awful at commentary on DVD's, i have no idea why they keep doing it.

Some places have a compilation of every original song used as a sample on that record - it's fucking huge

dmillburn

Quote from: Goldentony on January 12, 2009, 05:18:47 PM
Sort of related - there's a documentary called Style Wars which is all about the graffiti artists and breakdancers

Excellent doc, well worth buying. If you need any more convincing it was co-produced by Henry Chalfont who was co-author for the Subway Art and Spraycan Art books, which where pretty much the ultimate graff books back in the day (and still absolutely essential now)

Scratch is pretty decent too and there's two other documentaries I'd recommend, The Freshest Kids (A History of the B-boy) and, if you can find it anywhere, 5 Sides Of A Coin

dmillburn

Quote from: VegaLA on January 13, 2009, 04:30:31 AM
The Streetsounds electro collection from the early 80s are well worth diging up.

Too right, I think Hip Hop Electro 13 is probably my favourite ever record, mainly because it reminds me of Fresh 86 at Wembley (which to use a wanky cliche was pretty much the Woodstock for 80's Hip Hop, simply incredible line-up and people coming from all over the country for it, if you were into hip hop it was the single biggest event of that era) and partly because despite a couple of duff ones there's some great tracks on there including MC Chill's The Prophecy.

Morgan Khan was on about a UK Fresh reunion show about 3-4 years back and got as far as advertising (and I think selling) tickets and distributing flyers but then it was pulled which was a shame. The Street Sounds label is back up and running though so I'm hoping we'll see something in the future. If he'd had the foresight to video Fresh 86 he'd have made a fortune off of DVD sales.

Did anyone else get their name into Street Sounds Hip Hop 18? Think it was number 18 anyway - the previous one came had come with a little form inside and the first couple of hundred people to reply got their tag written in the gatefold sleeve of the next release. I was ecstatic to find my entry had made it in and rushed down on the day of release to buy it only to find out they'd obviously not been able to read my writing and had spelt it incorrectly. Bastards.

Ja'moke

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 13, 2009, 07:00:14 AM

Maybe not a popular opinion, but I've always preferred Licensed to Ill to Paul's Boutique. Both fantastic albums but LTI takes the edge for me.

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 13, 2009, 08:50:57 PM
Maybe not a popular opinion, but I've always preferred Licensed to Ill to Paul's Boutique. Both fantastic albums but LTI takes the edge for me.

I'm a big fan of Ill Communication, I think 'Sabotage' into 'Get it Together' is a fantastic styles clash with the abrasive chaos of their early hardcore influence onto the old school pass the mic routine between the three Beasties and the smooth flow of Q - Tip. The album is worth getting for those two songs alone.

Quote from: tarmac on January 11, 2009, 08:48:32 PM
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

Ms Trotsky and I had a good laugh at them on the 'Best of The Tube' DVD.  Not very furious, are they?

only_sleeping

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on January 13, 2009, 09:19:12 PM'Get it Together'

that's my favourite song. ever.

though check your head is my favourite beasties album.

Maximash

Quote from: Fry on January 12, 2009, 07:55:54 PM
Also, I still can't get into Bizarre ride 2...

Outside, now.

Seriously though.. I can't understand anyone who doesn't see Bizarre Ride as the absolute peak of west coast hip-hop up to that point - they're California's answer to A Tribe Called Quest. The album isn't mastered too well, with the tracks bobbing up and down volume-wise throughout the album (particularly annoying on It's Jigaboo Time) but come on:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJunijzmjks[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3RS_agsrPc[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmLdQIYf4WY[/youtube]

Just so individual. Nothing they did afterwards measured up, although Labcabincalifornia comes close, and all are good (yes, even Humboldt Beginnings, which gets a really hard time).

There are some rumours that a new album with all 4 members is in the works called "Back II The Pharcyde" out this year. If there's one old-school hip-hop album that I demand everyone must own, it's this one.

Also, Low End Theory by Tribe Called Quest.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Fry on January 12, 2009, 07:55:54 PM
Arrested Development are amazing, you're right. But don't you find their constant god bothering a bit grating at times?

Not at all! Sometimes it can seem a bit patronising but on the whole I don't let it phase me. I'll admit that it's not the lyricism that attracts me to hiphop 90% of the time, it's the production. Arrested Development have awesome backing tunes that manage to divert away from the religion fishin' just enough to make it a big enjoyable whole.

If I were to try and get someone to like Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde, I'd strongly recommend you check out the song 'Passin' Me By'. If you don't like that, give up. ON LIFE!

samadriel

Quote from: The Region Legion on January 20, 2009, 02:08:51 AM
Just so individual. Nothing they did afterwards measured up, although Labcabincalifornia comes close, and all are good (yes, even Humboldt Beginnings, which gets a really hard time).

Any thoughts on "Loneliest Punk" by Fatlip?  D/Led the other week, quite liking it so far.

ThickAndCreamy

If anybody wants a good blog where there are over 400 Old Skool Hip Hop albums to download for free, check this out;

http://etalonhiphop.blogspot.com/2007/11/big-daddy-kane.html

I've just got Big Daddy Kane up but you can download from any of the artists there.

Quote from: samadriel on February 24, 2009, 02:37:29 AM
Any thoughts on "Loneliest Punk" by Fatlip?  D/Led the other week, quite liking it so far.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Pretty schizophrenic album though - some great beats that just aren't exploited at all (Fatlip Intro) and some that start out with him obviously calling some unlucky producer with a completely indecipherable beat he sings at him, that the producer then has to make something out of.. but these tracks never actually become tracks proper, just filler (The Bass Line, I Got The Shit). M.I.A. is also way too good a beat for just the phonecall that's on it.

I don't think the album really starts swinging until Today's Your Day but after that all the real-deal tracks are almost all great, especially Joe's Turkey which is a properly powerful track, you can really hear his frustration and desperation in it. "Coming through in the clutch / ready to touch as much as possible / so I'm gonna do what I gots do / get money, make money by any means / whatever that means, no more pork and beans". If anyone can be singing that, it's him. The Story Of Us also a highlight, as is Lyrical Styles which is true old school Pharcyde style.

There's only one track that I just think should have been left off - Freaky Pumps. After an album mostly about self-discovery, pride coming before the fall etc. this very dull "I'm in the strip club" posturing really comes out of nowhere and doesn't sit with the rest of the tracks at all. Should have been Worst Case Scenario instead, the other single he released in 2000 alongside What's Up Fatlip?

Make sure to watch the documentary Spike Jonze did with him called What's Up Fatlip?, filmed in 2000. He was already in a pretty bad place career wise then, and the album came out 5 years later. Would have loved to have seen a followup when the album actually dropped.

djtrees

Some old Mixtape marvellousness from the best radio station in the world W.F.M.U.

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/listener_fodders_posts/

Desi Rascal

If you haven't already done so Hunt Out a dvd copy of Wildstyle

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCas6larVCw[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwk5onM6fgk&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRCwLQhB-D0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qefZczEMmjI&feature=related[/youtube]

Desi Rascal