Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:35:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Air - Latest album???

Started by Gazeuse, April 28, 2004, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazeuse

Would one of you clever people please tell me which is Air's most recent album.

Ta in advance!!!

Walkie Talkie.

Couldn't you have just gone to http://www.allmusic.com?

european son

Quote from: "DevlinC"Walkie Talkie.

Talkie Walkie

smoker

and the title track is a blinger

joFFeman

talkie walkie is right, and it ain't that good an album, in my opinion the weakest by the air fellows. just can't get into it.

Not just me then.  I find it extraordinarily dull.  Though I do like Cherry Blossom Girl.

Gazeuse

Ta for that

Quote from: "DevlinC"Couldn't you have just gone to http://www.allmusic.com?

I don't know anything at all about Air, so I thought I'd ask those in the know *taps side of nose*

european son

Quote from: "Gazeuse"

Ta for that

no no, tis called Talkie Walkie. honest.

mr rou-rou

other comments here whores talk about air

those saying it's crap, do you actually like air, or is it like me popping into the Stereofuckheads thread to insult them?

I'm not championing the album as best work ever, but it certainly isn't crap.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Quote from: "joFFeman"talkie walkie is right, and it ain't that good an album, in my opinion the weakest by the air fellows. just can't get into it.

I disagree. It has only one weak track on in my opinion (Alpha Beta Gaga), and is the most seamless example of acoustic electronica I've ever heard. It's brilliant.

Moon Safari is excellent also, but I think 10000Hz Legend is most probably the weakest, though I loved Electronic Performers, Caramel Prisoner, Don't Be Light, Radian and How does It Make You Feel?

The guide in The Grauniad described Air fans as 'people who don't really like music'. Look at my music collection them you tosser.

Personally, i like that quote.

Moon safari was pleasant, with humour, but spawned one of the worst musical fashions in my lifetime, i.e. 'chill out'. The main problem with virtually everything that folowed it was the complete lack of humour or originality.
It became the fashionable album to own in 1998 and spawned a generation of people who thought that Groove Armada and Zero 7 produced 'quality' albums.

I like some ambient music amongst my house, belgian nu-beat and ghetto booty bass, but only when there is more to it than Wurlitzer, moog and strings preset to 'nice noise'. I hate people saying things like 'it's got no soul, man' but that really is the case here.

Air aren't bad, they have some good inventive sounds tied to decent pop songs at times, but on the whole their default niceness makes me sick, because they completely lack character. Even worse, they play the faux-stargazer-earth-child role which strikes me as unbelievably pretentious when they've done nothing of lasting value.

Listen back to Moon Safari, the first one's good, two more and that's yer lot. I'm not talking about the ones with the bird on either, they make me want to die.

Second album, bit more interesting in my opinion, but still very annoying in parts, why do they play on their poor English so much? It's not naive and innocent, it's calculated feyness. Horrible horrible horrible.

The soundtrack for the Italian guy, absolutely lightweight musical content. Ditto Virgin Suicides, bar the single.

Talkie Walkie, chodfest. Um, if you want to listen to an excellent blend of acoustic and electronica, how about Four Tet? It's the best. Next try Fonica - Ripple. Now that's a great little album, melodic with its own feel.

Premiers Symtomes was the best, because they hadn't used all the same noises before and used up all their best melodies on this one.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I like Four Tet also, though I prefer Air's style.

That quote is absolute bollocks though because it's a complete generalisation. I understand what he was attacking, and I despise the way their music is used on almost everything on TV because "everyone knows its good". It just shows how desperate producers are to seem 'in touch'.

I've liked Air since I first heard them. I like their music. I'm not trying to like them to adhere to some sort of preset lifestyle. So what if the last album was nicey-nicey. It still produced Cherry Blossom Girl, Alone in Kyoto and Run (amongst others) which are some of my favourite pieces of music I've heard this year.

I dislike Air for stuff like Radio#1, Alpha Beta Gaga, People In The City, and Surfing on a Rocket (though the music is top notch, the chorus is embarrassing), when they overplay their 'frenchness', if you get what I mean.

So in summary, I basically resent being labelled as someone who doesn't really like music by some generalising shithead who is probably just trying to be unconformative rather than actually believing in anything. Come round to my house, and I'll put on some music you won't even begin to understand.

I'll search out Fonica- cheers for that.

mr rou-rou

that Italian one was gash, obviously aimed at a very specific market, fans of both the author and Italian speaking Air fans.

I know the crab likes his French tuneage, strange to read your allergic reaction to Air.

I agree about the chill out floodgates and I rode a lot of those ripples on my lilo with margarita in hand but now I can't really listen to my Café Del Mar volumes 1 – 10 any more because its like being gummed at by friendly pensioners, so I agree about music with a little more bite.

Still, sat in the sun with the choice of regurgitated pop rock or syrupy moogishness (in a Zero7, Groove Armada, Air style) I know what I'd go for.

I posted this in another thread, but Air's DVD documentary is a strange deflated piece of cinema, black and white and limp and rambling with the sound quality of a £5 stereo, but I still enjoyed it, but it didn't make enough use of the subject matter, i.e the actual band members, how they managed to remain in the background in their own film is a mystery.

edit: Four Tet? bland as :)~ it has that horrible Ninja tunes* 'trendy' artist stigma and really it's just a musical smudge like a lot of their artists, if music was wool, Four Tet would make someone a nice jumper.

Fridge were miles more interesting, and the bass player has an album out under the name 'Adem', but I'm sure you know that.

pinch of salt and all

*even though they aren't on Ninja Tunes

mwude

I keep meaning to get round to listening to it, but bah! what's the point? I'm sure it wibbles & moogs in all the right places, but without being consistently decent or interesting like Premiers Symptomes.  

Although it can't be anything like as bad as the new Zero 7 album.  I'm still a big fan of 'chill out' music (although not yer fucking Cafe del Mar or Ministry's 'Now that's what I call dull' compilations).  But that Zero 7 album.  Jesus!  What's the idea?  It goes nowhere & does nothing for a whole album.  Soporific in extremis.

edit - I've said it before & I'll say it again (and I'm sure the bostonian pincered-one will back me up) best Air track is 'Soldissimo' by Etienne de Crecy.

Super Discount 2 to look forward soon as well.  woo, and indeed, hoo.

mr rou-rou

we are just spoilt for choice,

damn P2P programs making critics of us all through exposure.

Why can't I go back to the days when my idea of a top mix tape was Abba on one side of a C90 and Iron Maiden on the other. It's no wonder my dancing confuses people.

Sorry, I don't even like Air and I was just guessing.

And Gaz, go to that site I linked you to - all you would have to do is type "Air" in the artist search and it would give you a list of all their releases in order - the one at the bottom of the list would have been the new album. Useful place I've found.

Gazeuse

Ta...Thanks for the link!!!

Quote from: "mwude"Although it can't be anything like as bad as the new Zero 7 album.  

That you got as a birthday present. I was wondering why he didn't ask me in advance what to get you. Dago dope.

Borboski

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"Come round to my house, and I'll put on some music you won't even begin to understand.

Why? Is it music for bats or dolphins?

You reminded me of this from Look Around You:

QuoteSome people think this is music (insert bird singing) It's called 'bird song'. It's hardly a song though is it? More a random cacophony of squawks and chirrups.

I think that's the quote.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I'm sure some of it is, yes!

I was just making the point that, just because I like Air, it doesn't mean I'm automatically disposed to like Dido, David Gray, Robbie Williams, Outkast and Busted, which that twat-of-a-hack insinuated.

mwude

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"That you got as a birthday present. I was wondering why he didn't ask me in advance what to get you. Dago dope.

It's not his fault he has no taste.  I meant to return it, but lost the receipt.  I suppose I should take it down to an exchange shop, but they probably wouldn't even take it off my hands.

But what's better?  Bland, beige wallpaper music that only offends by its inoffensiveness?  Or screaming, neon yellow wallpaper music with slashes & rips in it with squealing feedback & vocodered chainsaws?

I'm going to become a manager soon of my new ensemble project entitled 'The best b(l)and in the world'.  Ronan Keating & Mel C on lead vocals.  The Lighthouse Family as backing singers.  The Coors providing the instrumentation.  All singing soppy ballads penned by Dido & Gary Barlow.

hmm...vocodered chainsaws...that sounds ace.

the nearest thing i can think of would be 'necessary evil' by armand van helden. checkit!

joFFeman

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"other comments here whores talk about air

those saying it's crap, do you actually like air, or is it like me popping into the Stereofuckheads thread to insult them?

I'm not championing the album as best work ever, but it certainly isn't crap.

i didn't say it was cack, but it's definitely halfway there when compared to other air releases. i am an air fan. check my audioscrobbler stats if you don't believe me. talkie walkie just doesn't hook me.

edit: my favourite air album is 10000Hz legend, followed closely by the virgin suicides OST. i don't know what that makes me, since everyone else feels 10000Hz is by far inferior to the rest.. i just know it's the one i like best. except for radio #1, which is the most horrible song they've ever shat out.

european son

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"I'm sure some of it is, yes!

I was just making the point that, just because I like Air, it doesn't mean I'm automatically disposed to like Dido, David Gray, Robbie Williams, Outkast and Busted, which that twat-of-a-hack insinuated.

from that quote i will make a stark generalisation and boldly claim that you've never heard more than four Outkast songs ever.

go download/buy/borrow Aquemeni, and then dare to mention them in the same breath as those other artists.

Outkast, David Gray. hah. please.

EDIT: in fact i'll go as far as saying that the talentless hack has a point. for you to compare Outkast to Dido (presumably because they both sell more than James or something), illustrates that your liking/knowledge of pop music does verge on the mediocre.

touche!

i'm answering for him.

mr rou-rou

now now ladies,

Dido, David Gray, Robbie Williams, Outkast and Busted just represent popular music/artists (i'm sure that's the context they are being used in)

as an analogy for mainstream popular music those artists are acceptable.

over ruled :)

phes

Quote from: "european son"
Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"I'm sure some of it is, yes!

from that quote i will make a stark generalisation and boldly claim that you've never heard more than four Outkast songs ever.

go download/buy/borrow Aquemeni, and then dare to mention them in the same breath as those other artists.

Outkast, David Gray. hah. please.

EDIT: in fact i'll go as far as saying that the talentless hack has a point. for you to compare Outkast to Dido (presumably because they both sell more than James or something), illustrates that your liking/knowledge of pop music does verge on the mediocre.

Damn straight. Love that shit, and as single releases go, I'm having a hard time thinking of a better recent pop song than 'HEY YA!'.

morgs

Have Moon Safari which I like a lot at the time and haven't played in a long time.  This new CD though... Find it quite hard NOT to play.  Very peaceful background music when I am typing worksheets and lesson plans! So thumbs up from me.