Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:05:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frank Zappa

Started by Brian Coat, April 28, 2004, 02:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Coat

just wanted to donate a thread to Zappa... a true genius who DID only sleep 3 hours a night and strangely (when you bear his music in mind) did NOT take drugs. But I don't believe that.

Favourites would have to include:

Hot Rats
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Absolutely Free
Joe's Garage pt 1
Sheik Yerbouti

GoochDogHigh5s

And...
Only in it for the money
Apostrophe

Dirty Boy

I've been into zappa since i was about 15.Used to  go round a certain mates house and get stoned halfway to madness while listening to hours of Zappa, Can and King Crimson.Even now, listening to some of his stuff makes my lungs feel sticky.

I think Uncle Meat would have to be my favourite, closely followed by One Size Fits All and The Grand Wazoo, but i like most of the early stuff and various other bits and bobs.I never had a geat deal of interest in his post-70's material though, slick disco rock with 40 minute guitar solo's become boring for me real fast

Love Jon Poole's cover of Brown Shoes Don't Make It too.Every zappa fan should hear it :-)

Geej

The wonderful Guitar album

I love that to bits, truly to bits.
If you like Grand Wazoo try Waka/Jawaka very similar feel to the whole thing.

Best Band You Never Heard in your Life
Make a Jazz Noise Here
You can't do that on stage anymore (most of it...)

Edit - where can I find
QuoteJon Pooles version
then?

Nearly Annually

Quote from: "Brian Coat"genius ... DID only sleep 3 hours a night ... did NOT take drugs.
Only sleeping 3 hours a night is an excellent replacement for drugs, I would think. Leading to the whole genius/madness thang. It was always rumoured as he got older that he would run for president. I think only assassination would have stopped him.

I don't know what half of Zappa's tracks are called, because as the Antilibrarian I never used to write track lists on my cassettes. But I love Nowhere, Turn, Why does it hurt when I pee?, SATLTSADWitch - oh fuck it, I love loads of it. Still trying to find an old VHS of the long discontinued Does Humor Belong In Music? In fact, if I got it on DVD, it might well persuade me finally to enter the DVD age.

Is the Guitar album of which you speak, Geej, the double vinyl one with all his live solos on it? Lor, that's a bit much that one. Noodle overload - pass the Neurofen.

phes

End up workin' in a gas station. Damn right I would If Frank told me to.
I'd be PUMPIN THAT GAS, EVERY NIGHT, fuck yeah. For what it's worth, I dont think that he did take any drugs. Bill Hicks said they put hair on yer balls, I reckon Frank had MASSIVE mega hairy balls.

Gamma Ray

Zappa was a king among men, and along with his weird pal Captain Beefheart made the world a much funnier and more colourful place to live. Some days, just the mention of his name is enough to make me laugh ...

I remember reading that book that he read/spoke (lent it to a friend who has taken three years to get about a third of the way through it) and him saying that he plunged loads of money in the 80s into trying to get his orchestral compositions performed. It went something along the lines of 'do you have any idea how much it costs to employ an entire orchestra? Lots', but anyhow - have any of youze heard that stuff, and what's it like?

Elliot

I remember first hearing Zappa when we went to score from the local travellers must be about 15yrs ago.
Joes garage was playing in the background and I was well and truely hooked.

I have Frank Zappa - A&E Biography.mpg
If anyone wants it let me know and Ill torrent it.

Perhaps a thread

Get your Sterio Excursions Torrents here

obviously only stuff thats not available on cd or video cd etc.

Wonder if Neil would mind?

phoresy

Favourite Zappa quote:

QuoteRemember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

More to be found at:http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/quote/

boki

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"
Quote from: "Geej"

where can I find
QuoteJon Pooles version
then?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008COQL/qid=1083228489/026-0918590-5078013

Only don't spend that much at Amazon when you can get it direct from Org for 4 quids.

alan strang

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"I remember reading that book that he read/spoke (lent it to a friend who has taken three years to get about a third of the way through it) and him saying that he plunged loads of money in the 80s into trying to get his orchestral compositions performed. It went something along the lines of 'do you have any idea how much it costs to employ an entire orchestra? Lots', but anyhow - have any of youze heard that stuff, and what's it like?

It kicks several asses. Try the London Symphony Orchestra CD. And turn it right up.

Jaffa The Cake

I got it from the toilet seat.

mr rou-rou

does anyone have a large image of Zappa sat on the bog? There was a big print of it on sale on ebay a couple of months ago and I really wanted it but it sold for over £200

...well I've started posting so I'll finish, I've just found they are available in poster form here

a fella at work many years ago taped me Beefheart on one side of a tape and Zappa on the other, sorted, Mudshark symphony(?) got me into Zappa.

I'd still like a jpeg of Zappa on the bog if anyone has one, it would make a nice desktop.

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"a fella at work many years ago taped me Beefheart on one side of a tape and Zappa on the other, sorted, Mudshark symphony(?) got me into Zappa.

I think you mean basically the first half of Filmore East, June 1971 - fantastic album, one of my favourites of his, although I hear that era (referred to as the Flo & Eddie era, I assume because of those two guys from the Turtles being in the band) is not well liked by purist Zappa fans. Says a lot about his diversity really.

Oh and, favourite Zappa albums..

Sheik Yerbouti
Filmore East, June 1971
Hot Rats
Roxy & Elsewhere
Zappa In New York
The Grand Wazoo
Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Anyone else bought the Baby Snakes DVD? Amazing concert, beautifully remixed into 5.1.. and it seems the Roxy & Elsewhere concert is going to get the same treatment once Dweezil Zappa has some free time.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"does anyone have a large image of Zappa sat on the bog?
I've got a postcard of it on the wall in front of me...Next to postcards of GONG and The Clash.