Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:22:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MF DOOM - Born Like This (new album!)

Started by Vitalstatistix, February 13, 2009, 01:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: wikipedia

Born Like This is the upcoming album by American hip-hop artist, MF DOOM. In late January, Lex records confirmed DOOM's new album title to be "Born Like This", and that the "MF" would be dropped from his name, now just DOOM.[1] It is set for release on March 24, 2009.[2] The album is self described as Dumile's "definitive album... encapsulating but surpassing all of his previous work."[3] A track entitled "Ballskin" from the album was posted on DOOM's Myspace page on 13 January 2009.[4]

[edit] Track listing
#    Title    Time    Guest Performers    Producers
1    Supervillain Intro          MF Doom
2    Gazzillion Ear          J Dilla
3    Ballskin    1:30       Jake One
4    Yessir       Raekwon    MF Doom
5    Absolutely          MF Doom
6    Rap Ambush          MF Doom
7    Lightworks    1:55       J Dilla
8    Batty Boyz          MF Doom
9    Costume Foolery          MF Doom
10    Angelz    3:07    Tony Starks (AKA Ghostface Killah)    MF Doom
11    Cellz    4:21       MF Doom
12    Stil Dope          MF Doom
13    Better Than Beer       Kurious Jorge    MF Doom
14    Microwave Mayo          MF Doom
15    More Rhymin'          MF Doom
16    That's That    2:07       MF Doom
17    In Ya Dreams          MF Doom
18    Thank Ya          MF Doom

http://www.myspace.com/mfdoom

On first few listens, "Ballskin" is no classic, but I'm still pretty hyped. Been waiting on this for a long time.

Goldentony

Strange to see Angels on there, that was supposed to be on the Ghostface/DOOM album i think. I hope it hasn't been shitcanned altogether, i was really looking forward to it.

Looking forward to this anyway, always great to get new DOOM records

Vitalstatistix

Yeah that surprised me too. Angels has been out for ages. I'd be surprised if the Ghostface album ever materialises.

Jaffit

wooo!

Whats the word on the street about this then? Up to his usual standards?

Vitalstatistix

I think all that's been heard are Angels and Ballskin, so you can judge for yourself. Personally think those two are just OK, but still holding out high hopes...

chand

Wasn't it also Lex that were gonna release the DOOM/Ghostface thing? Sure they annoucned that too so I'm not getting excited until I see this on the shelves. What happened to the second Madvillain too? It's weird how everything cooled off, pretty much since Dangerdoom, after three years of him being everywhere.

alan nagsworth

'Batty Boyz'?  :-/

Er... anyway, bring it on! I've been waiting long enough to assess whether Doom has properly turned shit or whether he is about to wow us like never before. Why is he dropping the 'MF' though? He might as well drop the mask.

tarmac

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 17, 2009, 03:16:58 AM
'Batty Boyz'?  :-/

Heh, beat me to it!

Ballskin sounds alright.  There seems to be a lot more agression in his flow  - I like that.  I think the beat's a little bit weak though, sounds like watered down Madvillian. 

5-Track Promo EP for 'Born Like This'. I think this may be the EP artwork - either way, it's pretty sweet.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SPOG7BGW

Assorted other (unconfirmed) tracks are apparently floating around too...

Edit: Initial impressions - definitely more aggressive delivery, he sounds a little huskier. Beats are very DOOM, in a good way, sounds quite fresh to me, though I haven't listened to much hip-hop in a long long time. 'That's That' has the best beat for sure, dig the crooning at the end :) Pretty excited about this one, hopefully it'll spill out somewhere soon enough. Nothing earth-shattering so far to my ears but all his stuff takes its time to unfurl for me, I'm not really that into hip-hop any more. Wu Tang/Ice Cube is still more up my street.

Vitalstatistix

Thanks for that Crab, will give it a blast later. Nice art.

Vitalstatistix

I'm really psyched after listening to this promo a few times. It's growing on me, as all good DOOM does, as the density of the lyrics unpack themselves.

The more I listen, the more I'm really diggin "Ballskin", although it's nastily short. It's nice and upbeat and humorous, would sound right at home on Mm..Food.

"Lightworks" - A beat by J Dilla I've heard a million times, so it was a nice surprise to hear it on the promo. Aggressive delivery that Crab mentioned is most evident here I think.

"Angelz" - This one's been out for ages. Ghostface sounds great with DOOM, but I hate the beat, and it's too repetitive.

"Cellz" - A pretty boring minute and a half of instrumentalish with a Bukowski sample (I think!). When DOOM comes in it turns very nice. Grimy cartoony feel, and DOOM's flow is vintage brilliance.

"That's That" is a true crowd-pleaser, simple yet brilliantly catchy beat with great violins. DOOM sounds like he's really having fun here, crooning and growling and basically being his hilarious and brilliant self.

Ja'moke

Hasn't Doom lost the plot a bit now? Not turning up at shows and sending out imposters and stuff.

Vitalstatistix

alan nagsworth

These new tracks are genuinely great. His lyrical flow is still top notch, and I agree about this aggressive new undertone. It sounds good! Loving those faux-dramatic mystery cartoon beats aswell.

Man I can't wait to get my metal fingers on a copy of this.

Maximash

joeyzaza

I haven't heard the full thing yet, but I hope there's some new beats on there. As mentioned, "Angelz" has been around for ages, and so has J Dilla's "Lightworks" beat. "That's That" is nice, but it's recycled from one of the "Special Herbs" albums. Here's the track that the sample is from:

Galt MacDermot - Princess Gika

Vitalstatistix

Well, it ain't the classic we've been waiting for. It's a really mixed bag, in my opinion.

The man's genius for dense wordplay is still in evidence, but he doesn't seem to have bothered allying this to any concepts ala Mm..Food, or messing around with any of his other aliases ala "Fancy Clown".

The productions generally pretty messy. Lacks the warmth and humour of Op Doomsday, or the flourishes and focus of Mm.. His voice is too gruff for my liking, and too high in the mix.

There's a lot of filler too, skits and rubbish collabs which, for me, add nothing: "Supervillain Intro", "Yessir", "Angelz", "Still Dope", "Supervillainz", "Bumpy's Message", "Thank Ya". The last three tracks are filler!

On the positive side, it's still brilliant to hear him back rhyming, and he's still one of a kind. I'm really feeling all these tunes: "Gazillion", "Ballskin", "Absolutely", "Lightworks", "Cellz", "Microwave Mayo", "More Rhymin", "That's That".

"Batty Boyz" is a questionable attempt at humour - accusing superheroes of looking gay (!?) but it does have this killer bit in:

"Wrote this lyric in the bed with a chick,
she had the tightest grip around the head of my
bic! Now can I get my pen back?"

I really like this line from More Rhymin, too:

"He talk to himself
when he need someone to hate on
the black McCain campaign negative debate-a-thon"

I agree with all of that.

The production is, for me, way too simplistic as well. The majority of the beats are just very conspicuous loops, few unexpected flourishes, very very little that made me want to turn it up. He's in lyrically fine form, as is to be expected, though I've got to let it all sink in a bit more but there's also a general lack of conceptual/goofy playfulness which I expect from and enjoy about DOOM. It's not a bad album in the slightest, just musically a bit bland right now, there's no density to it, I feel that I've already 'got' the beats after a couple of listens.

Shit, bro, how many ways to say the same thing?

DanRev

So worth me ordering on wax or just a download scenario?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on March 17, 2009, 12:24:55 PM
The last three tracks are filler!

Lest we forget, though, that a hefty portion of Mm.. Food was filler, and shit filler at that. And, not being one to slag of Operation: Doomsday or owt, but the production isn't exactly stellar on that album. I dunno, though, as I've not heard this new album in comparison. But production has never really mattered for me with regards to Doom's music, as my first exposure to his music was Operation: Doomsday.

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 22, 2009, 01:05:47 AM
Lest we forget, though, that a hefty portion of Mm.. Food was filler, and shit filler at that. And, not being one to slag of Operation: Doomsday or owt, but the production isn't exactly stellar on that album. I dunno, though, as I've not heard this new album in comparison. But production has never really mattered for me with regards to Doom's music, as my first exposure to his music was Operation: Doomsday.

The major flaw with Mm..Food, and the only reason it's not held up as a classic, is that sequence of skits/instrumentals which span tracks 6-9. The idea of sticking a bunch of filler right in the middle of your album is just rubbish. Everything else is gold though! And the production on Food sounds slick as anything compared to Born like this.

Yeah Doom's always had a messy, lofi kinda production style, but on Op Doom it's totally charming, catchy and clever, on this new one it's just...dirty? Nags check it out and see what you think...

The underplayed melody on More Rhymin is growing on me, mind. That track's nice.

chand

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on March 22, 2009, 09:56:18 AM
The major flaw with Mm..Food, and the only reason it's not held up as a classic, is that sequence of skits/instrumentals which span tracks 6-9. The idea of sticking a bunch of filler right in the middle of your album is just rubbish. Everything else is gold though! And the production on Food sounds slick as anything compared to Born like this.

True. And the skits are fine in and of themselves, they just needed spreading out over the album rather than sticking all together in the middle. But yeah, that album is a lot of fun, it's one of the ones I grab most regularly these days when looking for some DOOM, along with Madvillainy and the first Viktor Vaughn.

Not listened to any of this yet, I've ordered it from Amazon, I wanna just hear the whole thing in one go.

tarmac

The major flaw with Mm..Food, and the only reason it's not held up as a classic, is that sequence of skits/instrumentals which span tracks 6-9.

Yeah that section is a bit of a shame, more so as the DOOM & Vast Aire collaboration track which uses one of those very instrumentals is absolutely incredible.  Shame it wasn't part of MM..FOOD.

Got the new'un on pre-order, although as of yet I've only listened to those tracks he had on the myspace.

alan nagsworth

Yeah Doom's always had a messy, lofi kinda production style, but on Op Doom it's totally charming, catchy and clever, on this new one it's just...dirty? Nags check it out and see what you think...

The underplayed melody on More Rhymin is growing on me, mind. That track's nice.

Yeah that's the filler I was talking about. It isn't amusing or interesting at all, I would've preferred them as just instrumentals interspersed, as chand says, in between the other tracks.

I would download it but it's hard for me to do so without home internet access so I think I'll just buy it.

Incidentally, did you guys know that Operation: Doomsday has been reissued? Instead of paying upwards of £40 for an import, you can now snag it from UK retailers as easy as pie for a nice and reasonable price. I know I'll be buying one soon...

chand

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 22, 2009, 06:56:40 PMIncidentally, did you guys know that Operation: Doomsday has been reissued? Instead of paying upwards of £40 for an import, you can now snag it from UK retailers as easy as pie for a nice and reasonable price. I know I'll be buying one soon...

I noticed it when I ordered 'Born Like This', I ordered it at the same time. I already have the mp3s but it was a pretty gaping hole in my DOOM collection that needs filling.

Pope

Am I alone in thinking that his voice sounds completely shot? He's straining really badly throughout this entire record.

He's been struggling with tonsilitis for months, I heard. Bit of a bummer but he didn't have enough cash to go back into the studio to re-record his vocals. He moved into a new apartment for the first time, been living with his mum since he went solo.

tarmac

First impressions - most of the beats are disappointingly unremarkable.  I initially really liked the gruffer sound to his flow, but eventually he does start to sound a little ill. (Ill as in poorly, not ill as in bad.  And that's bad as in good etc.)

The artwork is really nice, although the Egyptian/Arabic theme doesn't seem to have much presence in the record itself - would have been nice to have another concept or at least something fun.  I'd casually use the word genius to describe 'Doomsday and 'Food, which I why I'm finding this quite a let down.  Maybe it'll grow, but I usually find if DOOM's stuff doesn't hit me straight away, it never quite hits the mark.

Did you change your profile sig to fit mine? We can be sig buddies!

tarmac

Oohh I hadn't noticed.  But I'm not one to turn away a potential sig buddy! 

'Sig Buddies' also sounds like a more light-hearted division of the Neo-Nazi movement, so I'm in.