Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:06:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MF DOOM - Born Like This (new album!)

Started by Vitalstatistix, February 13, 2009, 01:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarmac

The stand out tracks have really grown on me - 'That's That' and 'Supervillainz' are particularly ace, up there with his best.  Incredibly, I quite like Batty Boyz too! I think it's knowingly quite puerile and the said immaturity of calling superheroes gay fits well with the DOOM persona - he often paints himself as a comedy/slightly rubbish villain, so to me it sounds like something the character would actually do.  I especially like the image of him and Green Goblin busting into the Batcave - I'd love him to explore a comic book themed approach over the course of an entire album - teaming up with other villains, taking on superheroes etc.

Sadly, the flaws of the album are also becoming ever more apparent - interesting beats wasted as 20 second filler tracks, hackneyed old clichés like shite answer phone message tracks and worst of all, police dispatch samples. (NNNNGHHHHHH)

Still a lot to love though, overall I'm really enjoying it.

Vitalstatistix

I think there's more good lines in "Hoe Cakes" than in this entire album. Very disappointed.

I have a feeling there's more to come from DOOM this year though, so maybe he can redeem himself somewhat...

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on April 05, 2009, 01:42:23 PM
I think there's more good lines in "Hoe Cakes" than in this entire album. Very disappointed.

OK I take that back.

It's growing on me a little, but the parts that are so excellent make the filler all the more frustrating.

Anyway, I love this sequence from Gazillion Ear:

Half cocked and half baked
Used to keep a full stock of work half rocked and half shake
My mistake, sign a track agreement
For more G's than lines and cracks in the cement
In any event it's fake like wrestlin'
Get em like Jake The Snake on mescalines
Ahem, elixir for the dry throat
Tried to hit the high note, Villain since a itsy bitsy zygote
By remote, send in the meat wagon
Braggin' MC's packed in with they feets draggin'
These stats are staggerin'