Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:04:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Festivals [2009]

Started by actwithoutwords, February 23, 2009, 06:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

actwithoutwords

There's a Glastonbury thread as usual, but not a general festivals thread yet I don't think. What are people heading to? Will the festival industry continue to thrive or is the credit crunch likely to take its toll? I think the festival market probably reached saturation point a couple of summers ago, and there was certainly less on in Ireland last summer, can't remember about here.

I do love festivals though, I've been to at least one every year since I was 16. Glastonbury would have been awkward this year due to complications regarding moving out of my house that weekend and uncertainty as to what country I might be in. Neither of the ATPs have particularly jumped out at me yet, though both line-ups are pretty good. It would make things so much easier if they could just made one of them markedly weaker.

However, after hearing how good Primavera Sound is for years, I think I'm finally going to go this year. The line up so far is superb, and there's still announcements to be made. Plus it's a weekend in Barcelona into the bargain, which is a bit of a step up from Minehead. Booked my ticket last night when they were still 115 eurodollars. So very excited indeed. Anyone here ever been to it before/ going this year? Advice?

Primavera line up includes:

SONIC YOUTH
MY BLOODY VALENTINE
YO LA TENGO
DAN DEACON ENSEMBLE
SPIRITUALIZED
LIGHTNING BOLT
DEERHUNTER
ANDREW BIRD
MAGNOLIA ELECTRIC COMPANY
THE TALLEST MAN ON EARTH
BLACK LIPS
THE DRONES
MARNIE STERN
GIRL TALK
SHEARWATER
BLOC PARTY
THROWING MUSES
BAT FOR LASHES
SQUAREPUSHER
THE JESUS LIZARD
APHEX TWIN
SHELLAC
THE VASELINES
JARVIS COCKER
DAMIAN JURADO
ALELA DIANE
BOWERBIRDS
ART BRUT
PHOENIX
ARIEL PINK
WOODEN SHIPJS
CRYSTAL STILTS
WOMEN
PLANTS & ANIMALS
PONYTAIL
VIVIAN GIRLS
CRYSTAL ANTLERS
GANG GANG DANCE
THE MAE SHI
FUCKED UP
WAVVES
GHOSTFACE KILLAH
PAINS OF BEING PURE AT HEART
MICHAEL NYMAN

Vitalstatistix

Holy moly that is one killer line up. Faaack I'm on that.

ThickAndCreamy

I'd just like to comment and say, fuck me, that is a good line. I can see at least 8 artists I would love to see live who I have never seen before and a few more I would love to see again. One of the best festival lineups I've seen this year along with ATP New York. I do actually envy you going to that, it sounds fantastic, I would go as far as saying you're a bit of a cunt for going when I'm not in fact. You bit of a cunt.

As for festivals, I would like to go Latitude if my friends can afford it and choose not to go to any other more expensive, awful festivals. I'll also go to Offset Festival which is located right near myself and was wonderful for £40 for 2 days last year even if most of the bands performing I didn't seem to care for.

I would of loved to go Glastonbury this year but unfortunately my friends cannot afford it and I couldn't bare going to a festival alone for the nightlife.

Little Hoover

I went to latitude last year (and for free since I know one of the co-ordinators for the event) which was really rather good, although they do need to make some of the tents bigger or, just put screens outside or something, and work on stopping the sound from other stages being heard in other tents.

glitch

Already got tickets/etc. sorted for the Bangface Weekender this year so hopefully I'll be running into the people who thought I was there last year.

I'm on the fence about Maschinenfest as rumours are that it's changing to more wall of sound noise and doom metal than my preferred rhythmic noise, glitch and breakcore.

Might try and make it to Bestival but that Primavera line-up looks fucking grand.

Old Thrashbarg

A couple of months ago it was looking likely that I'd be off to Glastonbury. That's almost certainly off now what with it being sold out, Neil Young (the main reason for me wanting to go) still not being confirmed, me not being overly enamoured with what I've heard of his latest stuff anyway and the friend I would've gone with possibly not being in the country at the time of the festival.

Download looks like the next best option, although that's reliant upon my perpetually penniless and only metal-liking friend being able/wanting to go.

Lee

Primavera Sound does look incredible. Pity their website's in broken English. Can you actually camp there, or do you have to find accomodation elsewhere?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: glitch on February 23, 2009, 08:02:18 PM
Already got tickets/etc. sorted for the Bangface Weekender this year so hopefully I'll be running into the people who thought I was there last year.

Yes! Good man! We should exchange phone numbers beforehand I think, so we can get together for some kind of chalet shindig.

I'd like to try Latitude this year (any ideas who's playing), and get a Download day ticket for whatever day ZZ Top are playing.

Captain Crunch

Usual twin attack of Wacken and Supersonic for me.  Early Supersonic line-up:

Not quite as underwear-spoiling as it might be but it's all about the vibe.  Of sausages.  Also, I am sorely tempted to go to Hellfest this year:

http://www.hellfest.fr/web08/accueil.php?langue=english#/artistes/

I've heard it's a bit shoddy in terms of organisation and yes, the exchange rate doesn't help but that line-up is something else.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: Lee on February 23, 2009, 11:58:06 PM
Primavera Sound does look incredible. Pity their website's in broken English. Can you actually camp there, or do you have to find accomodation elsewhere?

No camping as it's not far from the city centre. There's a list of accomodation on the website. Looks like I might have access to a free apartment, which would be a serious result, cost-wise.
Rankings of festivals I've been at (obviously to an extent influenced by the line-ups of the years I've attended):

Glastonbury
ATP (Minehead)
Witnness (Fairyhouse)
Latitude
Oxegen (Punchestown)
V (Chelmsford)

Other festivals I would like to go to at some point: Rock en Seine, Coachella, Electric Picnic, Rock Werchter, ATP New York.

ThickAndCreamy

That Primavera Sound lineup has been on my mind for hours now, I can't get over just how much I want to go to it. However, the idea of not camping is somewhat disheartening and let's one of the best lineups I've seen down.

Latitude's lineup and tickets are being released on the 23rd of March, I hope it's good enough to warrant a visit as I've convinced myself not to go for the last two years and hope I find no reason whatsoever to not go this time.

I would also make a festivals I would like to go to at one point list, but I have never been to a festival that is worthy of any great mention, music wise anyway, so it seems almost futile to make one.

imitationleather

KRAFTWERK ARE PLAYING AT BESTIVAL! WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP!

Sorry about that, I've just always been desperate to see them live and missed out when they toured the UK five years ago. I never thought I'd get another chance, so I'm completely made up about this.

This year I'm going to:
Bloc (Which is next weekend. Hooray, the summer starts here!)
Bang Face Weekender
Glade
Bloom
Shambala (I'll be stewarding at this one. An all-new festivalling experience for me.)
Bestival (KRAFTWERK! KRAFTWERK! KRAFTWERRRRRRK!!!!!)

I bloody love festivals, me.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

My best friend and I really wanted to go to the ATP Fans Strike Back festival, mainly to see the apparently one-time-only Sleep reformation. Sadly however, we left it too late to book a two person chalet and neither of us know anyone else who is interested in going.

For a festival with a primarily metal/rock focus, Butlins seems a rather incongruous setting. Even the V Festivals let you pitch a tent in a field.

lazyhour

Indietracks looks to have an increasingly good line-up year on year, if you're a twee bollocks fan in the North. 

This year it's being co-curated by great Spanish label Elefant, and already confirmed at this early stage are Camera Obscura, BMX Bandits, Mighty Mighty, Nick Garrie, The School, Tender Trap, and a whole host of underachievers.  My band is playing too, so we get in free!

ThickAndCreamy

Of Montreal and TV On The Radio are pretty much definite for Latitude (going on sale 26th March), as they have both have single gigs in London a few days before the festival.

I can't wait for Latitude.

LC

TITP has Janes Addiction, Blur and Mogwai. Solid.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Blur and Mogwai? Are the organisers hoping to get some sort of scrap going?

vrailaine

Primavera is amazing this year.
Coachella looks pretty good.
Roskilde always is solid enough.
Oxegen/T in the Park have great lineups this year, last year oxegen was fairly well ran too so if they do as good of a job as last year it'll be great.
Electric Picnic was great last year and the year before, but the lineup this year is looking like its gonna be piss poor... mind you last year they surprised me when i was expecting nothing

no_offenc

So far this year I'm going to the Breeders weekend at ATP, Kendal Calling and End of the Road.  And may well hit up ATP at chrimbo as well depending on who's on and if I have money.

ThickAndCreamy

The confirmed headliners for Latitude this year are;

Friday: Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
Saturday: Grace Jones
Sunday: Pet Shop Boys

I doubt I'll be going anyway now, all of my friends have refused to come. Going to a gig alone is one thing but a whole festival would be horrible, so I'm choosing just to go Offset.

ThickAndCreamy

Latitude's tickets are now on sale and the line up has been fully announced;
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/latitude/2009/lineup.shtml

As well as the headliners there's Doves, Editors, Gossip, Luke Haines, Turin Brakes and many other acts that do not justify the extortionate price of £160+ including all fees this year.

Marvin

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on March 23, 2009, 08:43:41 PM
Latitude's tickets are now on sale and the line up has been fully announced;
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/latitude/2009/lineup.shtml

As well as the headliners there's Doves, Editors, Gossip, Luke Haines, Turin Brakes and many other acts that do not justify the extortionate price of £160+ including all fees this year.

It's not been fully announced, they've announced about 8 bands!

ThickAndCreamy

Radiohead are headlining Reading festival*.

I'm seriously surprised, what happened to their green policies?

*Others are Arctic Monkeys and Kings Of Leon /dull.

And Bloc Party again on the main stage.....

I'm assuming either the ROCK DAY will be downsized and moved to the NME/RADIO 1 Stage or perhaps the organizers have been unable to attract any big names who've commited to Download or Sonisphere so they've scrapped the ROCK.

ThickAndCreamy

They've scrapped the rock day entirely by the looks of it and gone with indie throughout with a few small, and godawful, metal bands scattered around.

This lineup is a hell of a lot better than last years anyway, although that isn't much of an achievement at all.

DanRev

I'm happy just to be seeing Ian Brown and Prodigy (though they're nothing like they used to be, a few tunes from experience will see me buzzing for the rest of the weekend) and Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys and Kings Of Leon are all somewhat guilty pleasures of mine. People are fuming about the line up, but I dont really mind it at all.

ThickAndCreamy

I'm bloody surprised, not fuming. Arctic Monkeys and Radiohead are extraordinary good headliners for Reading, especially Radiohead. They're pretty much the perfect headliner to a major festival really, they have mass support and make incredible music.

Compared to last year the line up so far looks very promising, I can see around 3 or 4 bands I would be very happy to see live.

Deadeye Dick

Almost ended up coughing up for a day ticket purely for Radiohead, but I'm pretty glad I got bored by the endless website crashes and gave up now though: Yeah Yeah Yeahs are fun but hardly amazing, Vampire Weekend and Bloc Party deserve their own circle of hell and Leeds Festival is, quite simply, a cunt magnet.  Despite the commotion over the surprising headline choices, I'm still glad I plumped for Latitude: Sir Nick of Cave shall be in attendance, Bat For Lashes and the reformed Magazine are set to headline in the Uncut tent, Luke Haines has been confirmed (and Of Montreal all but) and it looks almost certain that Leonard Cohen will be taking the Sunday lunchtime slot that Joanna Newsom had last year.  [jazzclub]Niiice.[/jazzclub]

DanRev

Magazine have reformed? Saaa-weeet. I see an Awaydays cash in there, seeing as they're prominently featured in its soundtrack I believe.