Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Festivals [2009]

Started by actwithoutwords, February 23, 2009, 06:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThickAndCreamy

Can anyone recommend me some great festivals at all? I don't mind if they are in Europe or in the UK but they must have a great lineup, have camping and generally be well recommended for the price.

I've been invited to go along to Isle of Wight Festival, but I'm reluctant because (a) I want to spend the limited money I have on a festival I will enjoy (b) the lineup looks shockingly bad. I'm keen to see the Pixies but one band alone is not worth it.

Has anyone been to the Isle of Wight festival? What's it like?

ThickAndCreamy

I've just found out about the Green Man festival, I don't have a clue how I've missed it - http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/greenman/2009/lineup.shtml

Some picks;
Bon Iver
Beach House
Future Sound Of London
Grizzly Bear
Animal Collective (Highly likely, explained below)

Seriously. For £110, this is one of the best festival lineups I've seen for the price in the UK for a long, long time. Also, Animal Collective are rumored headliners as well, they did arrange a Brixton gig for the 20th, with Green Man being on the 21st to 23rd.

Also, I can convince my friends to go as one of them likes Bon Iver, FUCK YES FUCK YES FUCK YES FUCK YES!

ThickAndCreamy

Animal Collective confirmed as headliners for Green Man. Very, very good news!

Vitalstatistix

Green Man is in an absolutely gorgeous location. Hopefully for you it doesn't piss it down like it always does for me whatever fucking festival I choose each cunting year.

Excuse me...

Green Man is nice, but there was a fair amount of shite, middle-of-the-road folk and blues last year. Everyone's lovely though :)

Deadeye Dick

Don't really have the money for it, but Animal Collective and Bon Iver is horribly tempting...I guess (hope?) that this isn't the kind of event where you have to snap a ticket up ASAP, so I might see how things are in a month or two if I kind rustle up some other interested folk.  Dosn't help that my initial Latitude optimism has plummeted since they announced Newton 'fuckface' Faulkner...if they put him on before Spiritualized, I may just have to cry a little.  While pissing into his gaping mouth, you understand.

purlieu

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on April 07, 2009, 11:31:15 PM
Future Sound Of London
No.  Amorphous Androgynous present A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind.  Seven hour thing with DJs, stalls, live set from AA and allsorts.  Sounds fascinating, but once again I imagine the promoters will say LOOK ITS FSOL LIVE like they did at Bloc so everyone was pissed off they played from their studio (I think my site was the only place on the internet which actually advertised this fact).  Ugh.

I'm going to change the direction of the thread because I'm going to Download.  The Leeds/Reading lineup is God-awful.  When the fuck did it turn into V?  Actually, V might even have a less NME-friendly lineup this year which makes it more appealing than ex-Carling.  Although missing tickets for Brand New's tour did make me consider it for a second.
Download's pretty dire but does have Slipknot (one of the best live bands around at the moment), Billy Talent (for old times sake) and so far a decent bunch of bands further down the list.  Architects made it for me, probably the best 'heavy' band the UK has to offer at the minute.  The number of nu-metal bands is a bit unsettling, though, and leaves me to wonder exactly who's going to see Limp Bizkit and how twattish they're going to be.

Primavera has a couple of bands I want to see, but is going to be full of the same type of horrendous up their own arse indie cunts that sometimes get a bit much at ATP.  Of everyone I know who is going, all of them are terrible, terrible people.  So I'm avoiding that.

actwithoutwords

Hmmn. I was just going to pop in here to mention that the couple that I'm meant to be staying with in Barcelona have broken up, leaving me in limbo slightly, and unwilling to push on the subject with either of them: "So, that harrowing break up of a five year relationship... what exactly does that mean for my Primavera accomodation?"
However, in the context of the previous post regarding indie cunts, any potential sympathy for our holy trinity of potential heartbreak/awkwardness will have been severely mitigated.
Though this has obviously failed to prevent me just crowbarring in what I was originally going to write anyway.

ThickAndCreamy

It's lately become clear to me what festivals I can actually go to this summer;
Reading Festival
Offset Festival

My fucking mate refuses to pay £100 to go to Green Man as it's too much apparently (of course £185 for Reading isn't at all, is it?). This is after he agreed to go, the fucking cunt. So now, unless I go on my own to Green Man which sounds about as enticing as shoving ones fist up ones rectum, sitting on it then going to a water park, I've no choice but Reading.

Oh Reading, I cannot wait! The wonderful cheer of over 100,000 teenagers and young adults ready to set fire to my tent and tell me just how fucking amazing Kings Of Leon were man, they blew my mind! I just cannot wait for someone to party boy me, piss on my tent and run around me naked screaming a family guy quote. This situation is fucking horrible, I can't even convince my friends to go glastonbury as it's "too big", yet Reading is fine it seems...

This situation is so shit I think I'm turning into [banned troll] with my constant hatred.

imitationleather

Get some new friends, dude.

Or chat to people on the festivals' forums for a bit. You'll end up with similar people to go with before long.

DanRev

Most festival forums I've been on have been full of cunts, either do-good fun police types or just thick fuckers.

Viero_Berlotti

Festivals are great to go to for a day, but don't sleep there at night. It's like living in a middle class refugee camp. Just concentrate on enjoying the bands, the rest of the 'experience' is a depressing mix of shit, dirt, piss, bad drugs and crap campfires.

Festival gigs are like listening to your favourite bands best songs through a naff stereo whose volume and balance are constantly going up/down or to the left/right, except this time you get the privilege of watching some knob in front of you try to set fire to a plastic bag with a broken clipper.

imitationleather

^Taking the piss or just good old wrong bollocks? You decide! If you're being serious, maybe you ought to try going to a festival that isn't Reading or V or one of those sorts.

Festivals are the fucking tits. Camping is the best bit. Music is secondary.

ThickAndCreamy

I also disagree completely with Viero, one of my best memories of last year was at Offset festival at night. I was slightly drunk and ended up speaking for hours with lots of decent and humourous people about subjects my mates never discuss, e.g. UK comedy, Chris Morris and a load of old crap. It was one of the most fun nights I can remember in recent memory and for me, the nights are one of the greatest parts of a festival. Most people seem to be friendly, eager to talk to you and generally quite open and welcoming. It's beautiful compared to where I live and in London, where many seem to try every possible method available to not be bothered and to stay in silence.

It sounds like you've only been to the bigger festivals which usually are filled with cunts or people forcing everyone to have their idea of a 'good time'. This often equates to setting things on fire, shouting random words out as loud as possible at 4am and generally acting like complete cunts. From what I've heard this doesn't apply so much to most of Glastonbury however, but for V, Reading and Leeds etc. it's what you expect to happen unfortunately.

That's why I was so excited for Green Man, the line up is amazing, the setting seems amazing and I presumed the people wouldn't be cunts either.

purlieu

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on April 19, 2009, 01:34:38 AM
Festivals are great to go to for a day, but don't sleep there at night. It's like living in a middle class refugee camp. Just concentrate on enjoying the bands, the rest of the 'experience' is a depressing mix of shit, dirt, piss, bad drugs and crap campfires.

Festival gigs are like listening to your favourite bands best songs through a naff stereo whose volume and balance are constantly going up/down or to the left/right, except this time you get the privilege of watching some knob in front of you try to set fire to a plastic bag with a broken clipper.
Thank you, Mr. Fun.

glitch

Well Bangface is in a few days. Huzzah!

Got my ticket for the August thing they're doing too, currently debating on Glade or Bestival.

Maschinenfest is still a given.

dmillburn

Bit of a nightmare clash for me - Supersonic and Truck are both on the same weekend this year leaving me in a bit of a dilemma as I've not missed a single Truck for the last 10 years and it's probably my favourite smaller festival. However Supersonic has been great the last few years, and it's just down the road from me meaning I can get a taxi home to my bed each night. Plus Goblin were announced for Supersonic last week so it looks like it's got to win, although it's going to be very strange not heading down to Truck for the first time in a decade.

ThickAndCreamy

For anyone interesting in Offset Festival, they are releasing details of the lineup this Thursday!

Also, if you sign up to their mailing list before that you can get an early bird ticket for this year for an incredible £35, for two days including camping, it's a magnificent price.

Quietly Pissangel

Anyone complaining about festivals this summer, be thankful you're not going to this:

http://www.sellindgemusicfestival.co.uk/music.php

I'm going because my ex-housemate from university is organising it, but this means being subjected to his shit NME jangly spiky wank "indie" for a weekend. I don't know if anyone's heard of Thomas Tantrum or 4 or 5 Magicians, but they're staggeringly bad even for that particular genre - I fully expect them to be hugely successful. Most of the other bands are in the same vein. My ex-housemate also liked the fucking Ting Tings before they got famous.

Supergrass might be good though.

ThickAndCreamy

I've heard extremely awful things about 4 or 5 Magicians before, they were actually at Offset last year I believe as well. I also must agree that the lineup for that festival looks very shit indeed.

Marvin

It is a shit line-up, go and see Emmy the Great though, she's good.

dmillburn

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on April 27, 2009, 06:21:48 PM
For anyone interesting in Offset Festival, they are releasing details of the lineup this Thursday!

I enjoyed Offset last year, ridiculously cheap, some great bands, a good laugh and well worth £35 seeing as it was £40 last year. The atmosphere was a bit lacking compared to the others I went to last year but then it was very much an old school "watch some bands in tents" festival with nothing happening apart from the music. Absolute bargain for the price though.

Mentioned it last year but if you are looking for a small festival I really enjoyed Standon Calling http://www.standon-calling.com/ It's very different from Offset, much more of an 'experience' - the whole place is themed really well (last year was a Japanese theme, this year is space related) and they are known for plenty of surprises, hidden areas and even entire secret stages. Plenty of weird stuff like an underwater disco in the swimming pool last year and a bit of a glasto carnival atmosphere with interactive weirdo performance type stuff dotted about. Food was good and it even had proper flushing toilets with hand lotion dispensers and stuff too, although that still wasn't enough to stop someone doing a shit on the lid of one of the toilets on the Sunday. 

The only bad points were security were a pack of cunts and you can't bring your own alcohol in so have to buy it at the bars (which weren't that expensive but it's still a pain). The line-up was alright rather than amazing (Super Furrys, AMT, Melt Banana etc) but there was more than enough to keep you occupied. However it was something genuinely different from all the other smaller festivals I've been too, the closest thing to a mini-Glastonbury in terms of all the weirdness going on. The best festival of last year for me, with Supersonic a close second.

vrailaine

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on April 07, 2009, 11:31:15 PM
I've just found out about the Green Man festival, I don't have a clue how I've missed it - http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/greenman/2009/lineup.shtml

Some picks;
Bon Iver
Beach House
Future Sound Of London
Grizzly Bear
Animal Collective (Highly likely, explained below)

Seriously. For £110, this is one of the best festival lineups I've seen for the price in the UK for a long, long time. Also, Animal Collective are rumored headliners as well, they did arrange a Brixton gig for the 20th, with Green Man being on the 21st to 23rd.

Also, I can convince my friends to go as one of them likes Bon Iver, FUCK YES FUCK YES FUCK YES FUCK YES!

also:
Andrew Bird
British Sea Power
Dirty Three
Four Tet
Pivot
Roky Erickson
WILCO

That is a brilliant lineup, hopefully almost all of those spill over into the electric picnic over here.

ThickAndCreamy

dmillburn that sounds like great fun, just a shame it's too far away from London to warrant thinking about for myself, that and the lineup doesn't look very appealing at all.

Also, I must agree about Offset, although I did get a bit bored during the daytime mainly due to the heat and lack of decent bands on offer. The atmosphere seemed friendly though and the nights were extremely good fun. I can't wait to go again this year, especially if the lineup is better.

dmillburn

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on April 28, 2009, 02:17:04 PM
dmillburn that sounds like great fun, just a shame it's too far away from London to warrant thinking about for myself, that and the lineup doesn't look very appealing at all.

Yeah, line-up isn't looking too great so far (although I'd like to see Sun Ra Arkestra and Chrome Hoof were probably the best band at Offset for me last year) but to be fair they're only the first few to be announced so maybe the headliners will be decent. It wasn't exactly an amazing line-up last year either (we only went for one band) but it didn't really matter as there was plenty of other stuff going on. It is in the middle of nowhere though.

Offset was pretty much the opposite of that (bands in tents and some dodgems) but still really enjoyed it and agree the Saturday night was a great laugh apart from the early curfew and a few fights kicking off between idiots. The sound on the main stage needs sorting for this year too, it was horrible at times especially on Sunday

Anyone ever been to Shambala? Got lots of friends who rave about it, most saying it's the best small festival they've been to in years but it all looks a bit too hippy/crusty/healing crystal/jesters hat for me.

purlieu

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on April 27, 2009, 09:32:04 PM
I've heard extremely awful things about 4 or 5 Magicians before, they were actually at Offset last year I believe as well.
Ah, we put them on at the weekend and I was very impressed.  Under the circumstances - seven bands, most of whom ran over, leaving them about 20 minutes - they maybe put on a better performance, very lively and intense.  Maybe it's because they were covering The Vaselines for the Scottish bands gig.  Maybe it's because they were really lovely guys.  But I was surprised how much I enjoyed them, considering I generally dislike NME indie pap.
Offset is a pretty dire lineup though, I agree.

ThickAndCreamy

You mean Standon Calling, don't taint Offset and it's rather great lineup for the price.

Also, Green Man has announced the last headliner for Saturday, and some more bands;

Headliner - Jarvis Cocker

Other additions - Blue Roses, Broken Records, Dent May And His Magnificent Ukulele, Emmy The Great, The Fence Collective presents Rozi Plain / The Three Craws / The Pictich Trail, James Yuill, JC Carroll (The Members), Magic Arm, Noah And The Whale, Sibrydion, Swanton Bombs, The Aliens, The Fuzz Birds, Trembling Bells, and Zun Zun Egui.

Meh really, there's not a single musician there I want to see, and Jarvis as a headliner is quite disappointing.

purlieu

What?  Yes.  The other one.  I saw the word offset above my post and came to some bizarre, ill thought-out conclusions.

daimoniac

im holding out to see what maschinenfest has in store. obviously gotham's being done for me.

last machinenfest i went to was in '07, and it was fucking immense. if electroanschlag is still on (and ive not missed it) i may head to that.

i was thinking of the amphi-festival, or M'era luna... or even Castle Party - Castle Party is one i'd really like to do, and with front 242 headlining, it should be a right good fest this year!

glitch

electroanschlag was a few weeks back I think, some friends went to it.

Maschinenfest is still to announce anybody - but it's probably the Hands/Ant-zen guys that didn't play last year ;)