Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Festivals [2009]

Started by actwithoutwords, February 23, 2009, 06:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThickAndCreamy

THE HORRORS | THE SLITS | A CERTAIN RATIO
FUTURE OF THE LEFT | ARCHITECTS | ROLO TOMASSI
FACTORY FLOOR | THROATS | NUKE EM ALL | MATHS
DOUGLAS HART (Jesus and Mary Chain DJ set)

Offset Lineup so far. Apart from The Horrors it's all rather meh to me, however with 150 more acts to be announced I can't really complain.

Marvin

Surely The Horrors are the most mundane thing on that line-up? What's remotely 'mundane' about The Slits or Future of the Left?

ThickAndCreamy

Future Of The Left played last year, and by mundane I meant unsurprising or bands I'm not really bothered about seeing live, really, it was a wrong choice of words for myself.

Marvin

A better choice of words would be 'bands I don't like or know much about'.

'Mundane' is better suited for describing mundane bands. Like The Horrors.

ThickAndCreamy

Or of course bands that are too fucking old to play and well past their best, but there's no need to be so pedantic is there?

Famous Mortimer

If ThickAndCreamy's only exposure to the Slits had been their godawful second album, "mundane" would have been an incredibly polite word to describe them.

Marvin

I was being tounge in cheek with my second response there. No offence intended to anyone concerned. Except The Horrors.

Johnny Townmouse

Douglas Hart is a great DJ, and a fabulous video director/visuals artist.

But that band he is in are the dictionary definition of mundane. Le Volume Courbe. Christ.

purlieu

Factory Floor are very good.

phes

Does nobody go to the Big Chill?  Maybe everyone hates it -  it's usually my first choice for plenty of space in a beautiful setting, decent grub and a good old rave up.

This year really looking forward to Metro Area, David Byrne, BSP rescoring two documentary films, Orbital, Chris Cunningham live, Spiritualized and Slam. I haven't heard of 95% of the line up though because I pretty much don't have a clue.

actwithoutwords

Primavera this week. Very excited now. Anyone else going in the end?

ThickAndCreamy

So, what festivals is everyone going to this year, tell me now!

I'm going to (along with an excitement ratio out of 10);

Green Man Festival (9.5)
Reading Festival (6) 
Offset Festival (8.5)

djtrees

I'm off to Fusion Festival in Germany, but due to it being in that Europe it seems mainly to be populated by weird European folk types. Is there anyone here who has heard of any of these lot (apart from the obvious, Alec Empire, Chromehoof, etc)

Quietly Pissangel

Quote from: Marvin on April 27, 2009, 10:55:12 PM
It is a shit line-up, go and see Emmy the Great though, she's good.
Just looking through the thread again, thought I'd follow this up by saying that I did go and see Emmy the Great at Sellindge and I'm now very much a fan of hers. So cheers for that, Marvin!

glitch

Boatface, Glade, Bangfest confirmed

Still thinking about Bestival and Maschinenfest

Deadeye Dick

Was looking at getting some Green Man tickets, but money, holidays and various other spanners got thrown into that one, so just Latitude for me.  Now the line-up's more or less complete it's looking pretty tasty - with one Mr. Thom Yorke providing a rather delicious cherry on the top - and considering I've still got to organise the whole actually-getting-the-fuck-down-there aspect of things it's probably for the best that's my only festival, but, y'know...Animal Collective and Jarvis...*sighs, gazes loningly at an imaginary pin-up of Avey Tare with the newly bearded one*

Vitalstatistix

If I have any money left from a trip to Asia (unlikely) I reeeally want to go to End of the Road, partly because Okkervil River and Dirty Projectors are two of the best live acts I've seen, but mainly because I need to go to a festival every summer or I die.

edit - oooh Tallest Man on Earth and The Dodos and Ben Goldacre too!

lazyhour

Quote from: lazyhour on March 10, 2009, 11:41:31 AM
Indietracks looks to have an increasingly good line-up year on year, if you're a twee bollocks fan in the North. 

This year it's being co-curated by great Spanish label Elefant, and already confirmed at this early stage are Camera Obscura, BMX Bandits, Mighty Mighty, Nick Garrie, The School, Tender Trap, and a whole host of underachievers.  My band is playing too, so we get in free!

TEENAGE FANCLUB ARE PLAYING.

So, is anyone else going to this?

if you live in the Derbyshire are and fancy it but are penniless, I may have a free ticket for you, but be quick.

Famous Mortimer

I fit in with all those things. Whereabouts/whenabouts is it?

lazyhour

Next weekend (24-26 July) at Midland Railway, Butterley, Derbyshire.

http://www.indietracks.co.uk/

You in?

Famous Mortimer

Bugger, I'm hosting a houseful of Scottish MMORPG fans then, and showing them the delights of the Peak District. Ta for offering though lazyhour.

lazyhour

Captain Crunch

lazyhour

Indietracks tix now gone.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: glitch on June 25, 2009, 12:07:59 PM
Boatface, Glade, Bangfest confirmed

Still thinking about Bestival and Maschinenfest

Yeah baby, I'll also be at Bangfest by the looks of it. See you there.

Quote from: Captain Crunch on July 18, 2009, 11:46:48 PM
Looks interesting...

http://damnationfestival.co.uk/

Oho! It sure does! Therapy?, Rotting Christ, Electric Wizard, Mistress... ohh this is mighty tempting! Pretty cheap considering the awesome line-up so far, aswell.

Lee Van Cleef

Jesu??????

Fuck.  I'm there.

I'm interested to see Rotting Christ, though I always thought them a bit average.  Negura Bunget?  I thought they split up?

I'm also seriously considering going to at least the Saturday of Supersonic, this weekend.  Corrupted, Thorr's Hammer.  It says on the poster that Sunn are playing too, but they aren't in the line-up listings.  I'd like to see the Sunday too, if only for Goblin... but gotta move back to Norfolk some time.

Other than that I'm definitely going to the Saturday of Bloodstock.

dmillburn

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on July 20, 2009, 12:41:14 PM

I'm also seriously considering going to at least the Saturday of Supersonic, this weekend.  Corrupted, Thorr's Hammer.  It says on the poster that Sunn are playing too, but they aren't in the line-up listings.

They are playing on the Friday - the timetables are up now on the site http://www.capsule.org.uk/supersonic/2009/page/saturday

Quite excited about this now, roll on Friday.

Captain Crunch

I skipped Supersonic in the end.  It is a really top festival but I just couldn't justify it with that line-up.

For Damnation, the strongest rumours for a headliner are Immortal, Morbid Angel, Pig Destroyer and Eyehategod.  I'm there if it's Immortal - one of the best live acts I've ever seen.  Might go even if they're not playing.

In other news I have literally, basically and actually just booked my Wacken ticket, wahay!

Massive palaver this year what with GWAR being on for Bloodstock then pulling out and other people being up for stuff then not.  Anyway it's set now, I might have a friend coming over to join in or might be me on my jack for the duration but I'm past caring now, just concentrating on the jizzfest to come!

Really looking forward to seeing Heaven & Hell, UK Subs and everyone's favourite Epic Metal layabouts, Borknagar!  Other than that I'll just be accosting anyone in a GWAR shirt and feebly attempting to get backstage by flashing my Slavery Card.

If any other whores are going, shout and I'll buy you a Mystery Meat.

http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2009/

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: Captain Crunch on July 20, 2009, 05:41:57 PMFor Damnation, the strongest rumours for a headliner are Immortal, Morbid Angel, Pig Destroyer and Eyehategod.  I'm there if it's Immortal - one of the best live acts I've ever seen.  Might go even if they're not playing.

Jusdt get all four of them!

Fuck, the thought of seeing Pig Destroyer live makes me wanna cry.

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: dmillburn on July 20, 2009, 04:14:14 PM
They are playing on the Friday - the timetables are up now on the site http://www.capsule.org.uk/supersonic/2009/page/saturday

Quite excited about this now, roll on Friday.

Well that pisses me off, since I can't make the Friday.  FUCK.  Missing Goblin AND Sunn?

Bastards.