Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Festivals [2009]

Started by actwithoutwords, February 23, 2009, 06:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

If it's any consolation they'll just be doing a 'dry' set – no exciting vocal performances from the likes of Cope or Attila. 

Backstage With Slowdive

I was going to go to Exorcism, but Cruciphlegm pulled out.

thepuffpastryhangman

I'd been told Shambala. Was checking it out today, and noticed this thread. No mention of it anywhere. Whether that's promising or not I'm none the wiser. That's it.

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: Captain Crunch on July 20, 2009, 06:39:55 PM
If it's any consolation they'll just be doing a 'dry' set – no exciting vocal performances from the likes of Cope or Attila.

Not really. When I saw them (whenever it was) they did that kind of performance and it blew the fucking doors off.  Fabulous.  I'm trying to contrive a way that I can make it there for that, because I was already cheesed about missing Venetian Snares.

dmillburn

Friday should be ace - PCM have apparently got something special planned for it, maybe another special guest?

By the way for anyone coming for Supersonic that needs cheap accommodation the Formula 1 still has rooms free at £28 for a double or triple room. I doubt it's the nicest place ever but for under a tenner if there's 3 of you it would do the job

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: dmillburn on July 20, 2009, 08:28:41 PM
Friday should be ace - PCM have apparently got something special planned for it, maybe another special guest?

By the way for anyone coming for Supersonic that needs cheap accommodation the Formula 1 still has rooms free at £28 for a double or triple room. I doubt it's the nicest place ever but for under a tenner if there's 3 of you it would do the job

Do they have a webshite?  Or is it the old fashioned dog and bone?

Edit: Found it.  Sound like a big girl, but I'm not sure I can do without a shower.

Captain Crunch

LVC, you need to get a load of this lot (not playing at Supersonic but should be touring later this year):

http://www.myspace.com/cthonicrites

Ta

dmillburn

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on July 20, 2009, 09:16:18 PM
Do they have a webshite?  Or is it the old fashioned dog and bone?

Edit: Found it.  Sound like a big girl, but I'm not sure I can do without a shower.

They do have showers but they are shared between 4 rooms (I think) rather than one per room. Friends have said it's really basic but clean and it's only 5 mins from the Custard Factory, however don't expect too much...

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: Captain Crunch on July 20, 2009, 09:31:14 PM
LVC, you need to get a load of this lot (not playing at Supersonic but should be touring later this year):

http://www.myspace.com/cthonicrites

Ta

Yeah, I like me some Moss.  I bought the latest from The Heavy Sounds recently, but haven't got round to listening to it yet.

Deadeye Dick

Just got back from Latitude a few hours back, and apart from the Thursday night monsoon and the cunt who stole my phone on Saturday (and Aidan Moffat having to cancel - get well soon, you miserable genius you) was just incredible.  Major highlights included:

• getting to the front for Of Montreal for plenty of fun drunken dancing, awesome tunes and hilarious dancing only improved by the freaked-out Ladyhawke fans stood to my right
  • Fever Ray putting on one of the most immaculately realised and absorbing sets I've ever seen - especially impressive considering I wasn't that sold on the record
  • Marnie Stern and her unfeasably beautiful bassist
  • Spiritualized playing some Spacemen 3 material, meaning that after watching Spectrum last year I have now seen both of the main men play S3 songs
  • almost crying with joy during True Love Waits in Thom Yorke's set
  • Nick Cave being the fucking king of the main stage (especially during ultra-ramped up versions of The Mercy Seat
  • blagging free cider by accident
  • getting into the Film & Music tent in time for the surprise Jarvis Cocker cameo, consisting of a perfomance of Slush, an improvised instrumental and a cover of Purple Haze with the beatboxer Shlomo - no, I am not making this up

Still annoyed that I missed Saint Etienne mind.

Lee Van Cleef

Well, all of that was a bit of a clusterfuck.

Booked a room at F1 for Friday so I could do Friday and Saturday, then found out that they were out of Friday tickets.  So had a to order a weekend ticket.  Looks like I'm doing all three days after all.

3-d lobster

Quote from: Deadeye Dick on July 20, 2009, 11:07:17 PM
Stuff

I didn't see Of Montreal but I agree with everything else. I was so happy Django Django were shit because I then left them to wander into the Film tent and got to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO3IlWk1ogc

I'll add to your list The Duckworth Lewis Method. Who would have thought you could right so many song about cricket let alone make them this good.

The guerilla science lectures were also amazingly interesting, like watching the royal institute Xmas lectures in a caravan. I watched 3 of them, not just because of the very hot women that presented it.

Also Robin Ince's Book Club is out of this world good

imitationleather

I had another amazing Glade. I was a bit worried about the change of venue but it worked perfectly. The sound levels were much improved from last year where it was actually possible to have a conversation over the music. It rained a lot but never got too muddy, which was another plus. Squarepusher was a disappointment, but I'm used to him being completely underwhelming live now. Besides, Duran Duran Duran, DMX Krew, The DJ Producer, Dr Donk & The Donkmeisters, Parasite and Countryside Alliance Crew playing non-stop arse-clenching blinders more than made up for it!

I also had probably the lushest food I've ever had a festival. No meal was a disappointment. Ooh yeah. Fuck Pot Noodles, chilli burritos are where it's at for festival grub!

I've been sleeping a lot this week. All them crazy drug things really take it out of a guy...

Captain Crunch

An 'infomercial' for Gathering of the Juggalos 2009.   I'd never heard of it before, looks nutty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNe11E_KiAk

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: Captain Crunch on July 18, 2009, 11:46:48 PM
Looks interesting...

http://damnationfestival.co.uk/

Thye added Lock Up to the bill recently.  That'll be killer.

boki

Damnation looks pretty neat, although I only really know of a few of the acts (quite a lot of familiar names, but I think Therapy? and Jesu are the only ones I've bothered with much) - CaB Grebmeet?

ThickAndCreamy

Right for the lot of you, if you could help me here it would be lovely. Any suggestions of bands to see at Reading or Green Man?
At Reading especially I can see barely anyone I would like to watch, only Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, Faith No More, The Horrors, The Ghost Of A Thousand, A Place To Bury Strangers and Titus Andronicus. See, I would love / adore some suggestions for bands I could see that are very good, not just okay. I really don't want to end up watching bands like Streetlight Manifesto all day, it would be very dull. I'll also probably see Danananakaroyd just for the live show.

Any suggestions for Green Man would also be welcomed, although there are a lot more bands I already want to see there.

Don_Preston

White Denim are the only act that stand out, other than Vampire Weekend, but the way they're relegated to the small print at the bottom means they'd only be on for 10 minutes, I'd guess.

Deadeye Dick

If you're seeing A Place To Bury Strangers and The Horrors, I'd highly recommend The Big Pink - nice, shoegaze-y noise (check out the track 'Velvet' for a decent inkling of their sound).  I've seen Broken Records, The Joy Formidable, Patrick Wolf and Pulled Apart By Horses live at various times, and they've all put on pretty decent shows, and ifthey're not on your list, I'd give Friendly Fires a try too: can't say I'm a massive fan, but they're always good fun and would probably be an ideal festival band.  I've heard (if not seen) many great things about Black Lips as a live band, so they could be worth a punt too.  I would suggest Maximo Park, but I saw them in Newcastle at the start of their last tour, and they were pretty underwhelming in a playing-far-too-much-of-a-shit-new-record way, so tread with caution there.

The Plunger

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on July 24, 2009, 05:15:12 PM
Right for the lot of you, if you could help me here it would be lovely. Any suggestions of bands to see at Reading or Green Man?
At Reading especially I can see barely anyone I would like to watch, only Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, Faith No More, The Horrors, The Ghost Of A Thousand, A Place To Bury Strangers and Titus Andronicus. See, I would love / adore some suggestions for bands I could see that are very good, not just okay. I really don't want to end up watching bands like Streetlight Manifesto all day, it would be very dull. I'll also probably see Danananakaroyd just for the live show.

Jesus, do NOT go see Danananakroyd, the more people that turn up to see them, the more encouragement they'll get. Seriously, they are an abortion of a band.

Anyhoo, from the rest of the lineup I'd say go see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I've not been overly fussed with them before, but their new lp is absolutely fantastic. And they will put on an excellent show. I watched them win over a t-in-the-p audience on the tele, so they must be good.

thugler

Any suggestions for Green Man would also be welcomed, although there are a lot more bands I already want to see there.

Soulsavers and Mark Lanegan (DEFINATELY), Leftover Crack, Riverboat Gamblers, Chuck Ragan, Municipal Waste, Deftones.

Old Thrashbarg

If I was going, the Friday would consist of definitely watching Alexisonfire (twice), Bouncing Souls, Anti-Flag, FNM, and then, depending on timing/clashes, Funeral For A Friend, New Found Glory and the early line-up on the Lock Up Stage.

Saturday would definitely include The Bronx and Rise Against. I'd also try to see Mariachi El Bronx (The Bronx playing mariachi music) and Eagles of Death Metal, who are shit, but when seeing them at Leeds a couple of years ago, they couldn't have enjoyed their set any more and that happiness was pretty infectious. As for the res tof the day, maybe Atreyu and again some of the earlier Lock Up bands.

Sunday definites: Frank Turner and The Living End. And probably The Gaslight Anthem, Gallows and Lostprophets.

It's a pretty poor line-up really, although there is a sprinkling of good stuff thinly spread throughout..

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: The Plunger on July 25, 2009, 01:42:38 AM
Jesus, do NOT go see Danananakroyd, the more people that turn up to see them, the more encouragement they'll get. Seriously, they are an abortion of a band.

Anyhoo, from the rest of the lineup I'd say go see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I've not been overly fussed with them before, but their new lp is absolutely fantastic. And they will put on an excellent show. I watched them win over a t-in-the-p audience on the tele, so they must be good.
I may watch YYY's if there's nothing else on, however I really can't say I'm desperate or at all interested in getting their albums, although if their performance wins me over I may change my mind.

Also, I do know Dananananetc. make very irritating and pretty bland music, I've just heard and read they put on a fantastic live show. I really don't like most of the wave of young, poppy UK bands spawned by DIS though, especially Johnny Foreigner. Seen them live twice (festival and gig support) and both times it's been extremely hard not to shout out obscenities at the singer.
Quote from: Deadeye Dick on July 24, 2009, 10:36:05 PM
If you're seeing A Place To Bury Strangers and The Horrors, I'd highly recommend The Big Pink - nice, shoegaze-y noise (check out the track 'Velvet' for a decent inkling of their sound).  I've seen Broken Records, The Joy Formidable, Patrick Wolf and Pulled Apart By Horses live at various times, and they've all put on pretty decent shows, and ifthey're not on your list, I'd give Friendly Fires a try too: can't say I'm a massive fan, but they're always good fun and would probably be an ideal festival band.  I've heard (if not seen) many great things about Black Lips as a live band, so they could be worth a punt too.  I would suggest Maximo Park, but I saw them in Newcastle at the start of their last tour, and they were pretty underwhelming in a playing-far-too-much-of-a-shit-new-record way, so tread with caution there.
I've seen Maximo Park numerous times live, and yes, if they play anything other than their first record it's quite awful. Their second album, I haven't even bothered with the third, is just straight up shit. It's like hearing a 16 year old pompous english student at a private school, trying to write a record. Just don't listen to it.
I've also seen Patrick Wolf before numerous times however he has never actually appealed to me really and every time I've seen him has been bland. Just listened to The Big Pink as well, I'll probably check them out live they don't sound bad at all if a little uninspiring. I'll judge them live anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'm finding it hard to find much out of the line up really.

Lee Van Cleef

Just to say that Supersonic was my best live music experience ever.

Goblin, Corrupted, Master Muscians of Bukkake, Sunn, Thorr's Hammer, Nissenenmondai, Earthless, Drum Eyes, zZz... the list goes on.  I loved it.

Goblin and Corrupted stole the show.  But shit, that was pure awesomeness.

dmillburn

Yup, Supersonic was fucking immense, saw so much good stuff. I think Master Musicians of Bukkake just about edged band of the weekend for me but it's a tough call - Eathless, Goblin, Drum Eyes and Corrupted were fantastic too. Was that F1 hotel alright?

thugler

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on July 27, 2009, 09:38:44 PM
Just to say that Supersonic was my best live music experience ever.

Goblin, Corrupted, Master Muscians of Bukkake, Sunn, Thorr's Hammer, Nissenenmondai, Earthless, Drum Eyes, zZz... the list goes on.  I loved it.

Goblin and Corrupted stole the show.  But shit, that was pure awesomeness.

Yeah wish I had gone to that, sounded amazing and pretty eclectic

Vitalstatistix

T%C go see Vitalic!

Shimmery French Tech House :)

Or just sell your ticket because that lineup is pony.

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: dmillburn on July 28, 2009, 04:48:50 PMWas that F1 hotel alright?

Yeah it were alright.  Only downside was not being able to have a wank in the shower.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on July 29, 2009, 07:05:22 AM
T%C go see Vitalic!

Shimmery French Tech House :)

Or just sell your ticket because that lineup is pony.
To cut a long story short I'm going less because of the music and more because its the only major social event I'll be able to have with lots of my friends this summer. The lineup is indeed a behemoth of crap, I know. The main stage and the NME stage are especially shit, however complaining about Reading isn't particularly worthwhile. It's like shooting fish in a barrel really, everyone who isn't in love with the NME knows it's an awful lineup. I'm just very happy Radiohead are headlining, as I doubt there will be another chance I will get to see them live.