Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogaming v2.0 [post individual threads for games]

Started by HappyTree, March 02, 2009, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

This weekend I played my first ever COD game. I'm borrowing World at War at the moment. I can't work out if it's rubbish or brilliant.

My main issue is the fucking grenades. Jesus, they just don't stop coming, and I never see the marker until 0.2 seconds before the bloody bastard blows up. I have a real blind spot for it. I wish they'd made it red instead of grey.

Also, the controls seems a bit clunky, and I'm forever getting trapped behind bits of scenery whilst some Japanese fella is shooting the shit out of me. Also, the missions seem criminally short. So yeah, really wasn't impressed initially.

However, my opinion changed during the first Russian level, which I thought was excellent. It reminded me of a PS2 game where you play a sniper and crawl around Germany on your belly. That was great. The presentation is marvellous through out as well.

Right now, I just can't work out if I like it or not, but will plough on through.

turnstyle

Whoops, double post.

MojoJojo

Quote from: turnstyle on January 18, 2010, 09:15:31 AM
My main issue is the fucking grenades. Jesus, they just don't stop coming, and I never see the marker until 0.2 seconds before the bloody bastard blows up. I have a real blind spot for it. I wish they'd made it red instead of grey.

Yeah, grenades always cause problems in FPS - they punish new players. I remember in COD4, on one of the desert levels it's possible for a player on one side to throw a grenade almost from their start point into a load of parked cars near the other sides start point - which would often net two or three kills from players who haven't seen the trick/worked it out yet. They really punish inexperienced players, which is why they were cut from TF3.

chand

For some reason Dark Void was out early in my local Tesco, played the new Army Of Two as well and I'm starting to get a sense of deja vu from these games, given that leading characters in both are done by Nolan 'Nathan Drake' North, in his normal Nathan Drake-ish voice. Apparently he's not content with just being Nathan Drake, Prince Of Persia and yer man from Assassin's Creed. His list of credits is interesting; he can do other voices (he's a Frenchman in The Saboteur, did a few God Of War voices and did Sigmund in the recent Ratchet and Clank, all of which were nothing like his voice), but he seems to just be the go-to guy for these regular American lead characters and it's starting to feel a tad weird.

falafel

Quote from: chand on January 18, 2010, 01:46:08 AM
I preferred inFamous to Prototype by a distance, I felt inFamous was paced better and I preferred the city to the boringly straight buildings of Prototype (which they had to be cos you need to be able to run up them).

I never got that far into Prototype though, it started off well but it went a bit mental, like introducing the disguise mechanic and then immediately making it fucking useless by putting machines that can see through your disguise all over the places you need to be. Straight off the bat you can unlock shitloads of moves and I was losing track of the number of moves I could do. I gave up really on when I was at a mission where I was getting completely battered on account of my guy being set up for hand-to-hand combat but having to do missions where guys with guns are killing you from all sides. Might give it another go at some point, but I really never got along with it.

Infamous is certainly more polished in many ways but for sheer mayhem, once you've got to grips with all the different things you can do, Prototype is the most joyfully chaotic game I've ever played, really. It has the best big boss as well. There's so much going on all the time that it does take some time to get used to it, but all the climbing and wall-running is second nature after a while and the moves are great fun. It does pay to take a varied approach as well, which isn't always the case in inFamous. Plus, inFamous railroads you just as much, especially
Spoiler alert
towards the end when you keep getting plonked onto moving electrified platforms that you're not allowed to leave
[close]
. And the physics, whilst impressive, often got me stuck whilst running away from explosives, or failing to hang onto a sign after climbing about half a kilometre up some tower or other, and various other irritating gaffes.

Can't really remember the plot of Prototype, though. Just lots of visions of exploding cars and pulling helicopters down from the sky with my massive grappling hook.

Blazed through both though, less than a week each. Never do that normally.

mobias

I've got to the later stages in Uncharted 2 now and like last few missions in GTA you can't quite decide whether this is hugely entertaining or one of the most fucking annoying things you've ever done in your entire life!

Penfold

i had prototype and infamous at the same time and liked both in different ways.

prototype was fun for mad running, gliding, smashy smashy fun and infamous was fun for sneaky sneaky shocky shocky, and if i remember correctly they both had moves that enabled you to jump off any high building and slam into the ground.

they then ended up in the pile of games i get halfway through then move on. i'm sure i used to finish games when i was younger.

i have some spare microsoft points after christmas and i have no idea what to get.

i was going to choose between GTA San Andreas because i miss flying around and parachuting off the mountain yet i hated the turf war part, or Crackdown as i can afford it.

is there anything on the XBLA horizon i should wait for?

mobias

Finished Uncharted 2 this evening. I thought the last quarter of the game was a bit bollocks to be honest and bit lacking in the inventiveness it showed between the middle and three quarter way mark which is when it really started to blow me away with its scale a design. Shambhala was amazing and getting into it was incredible but I don't know why they had to populate it with those dungeons and dragons type characters. It would have been better if there had been much more of a let up in the endless fighting. I got quite tired of it towards the end.

Incredible scope and attention to detail though. The graphics and physics are incredible. I wonder how much further they'll push it with Uncharted 3.

Still Not George

Quote from: Penfold on January 18, 2010, 06:18:16 PMis there anything on the XBLA horizon i should wait for?
I couldn't possibly comment.

Ahem.

Penfold

Quote from: Still Not George on January 18, 2010, 10:19:28 PM
I couldn't possibly comment.

Ahem.

If i didn't know better i'd say you know more than you're letting on.

Crackdown it is then.

turnstyle

Having given COD; WAW a fair old go now, I absolutely love it. I've learnt what appears to be the golden rule of the game: Get behind something and duck. Once you realise that it's a wonderful experience. The set pieces are great too.

However, I still say that grenades are unfair in this game (so...much like war then I guess!), as the grey indicator is really easy to miss.

I think I might try a few levels on Veteran...which could totally frustrate me and see me hurling the ruddy thing out of the window.

Still Not George

Quote from: Penfold on January 19, 2010, 10:44:25 AM
If i didn't know better i'd say you know more than you're letting on.

Crackdown it is then.
It's definitely worthwhile, I still pull it out for the occasional jump-about-and-smite sesh.

400 points, hopefully in June, assuming MS don't try to dump us in the XBIG amateur hour ghetto - in which case it'll be a bit later while we play Musical Publishers

Shoulders?-Stomach!

After hpmons heads-up and an admittedly lukewarm review (6/10) on Games tm....

I really want to play The Void!

jutl

QuoteSony's PlayStation video game console is "poison" and leads children down the capitalist "road to hell," Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said.

Those games they call 'PlayStation' are poison," Chavez said. "Some games teach you to kill. They once put my face on a game, 'you've got to find Chavez to kill him.'
from http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h0pLR7_-bFm07MYtwOWdy5uMT_mQ

more here: http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/106/1061736p1.html

Well I think I'll steer clear of this PlayStation game series then.

Santa's Boyfriend

It's a shame Chavez has gone after computer games in general, although I can understand how he might have reached such a conclusion.  Coming from an outsiders point of view where a lot of very rich and powerful people would very much like to see him dead and his powerbase destroyed (and have tried to unseat him by force at least once already), you can see why he might think the way he does - especially after this game came out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenaries_2:_World_in_Flames

Not sure why he went after Nintendo though.

MojoJojo

Probably a similar reason to why China has semi-banned Avatar -outside cultural influence, and money leaving the economy.

Although the subject of some games probably doesn't help.

jutl

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on January 20, 2010, 09:37:07 AM
especially after this game came out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenaries_2:_World_in_Flames

from that link:

QuoteGunnar Gundersen, cofounder of the Venezuela Solidarity Network, dismissed arguments that it's "just a game", saying:

"We have to put it in the context of how it would feel if the reverse was done. Can you imagine if a wealthy Venezuelan game-designing company with links to the military and funding from a famous Latin American entertainer invented a game where you invade the US to assassinate the president and take over the economy?"

That sounds like a decent pitch to me.

QuoteNot sure why he went after Nintendo though.

Mario runs a petit bourgeois plumbing business with nepotistic employment practices, and both he and Link are constantly propping up their respective degenerate monarchies.

Slaaaaabs

Been playing Dark Void this afternoon, very disappointed as I loved the Crimson Skies game that these guys made on the old XBox. Even Bear McCreary appears to have made a half arse effort by reusing his Battlestar Galactica off cuts for the music.

Borboski

I got a 40" Samsung yesterday, I can't say how much more impressive the games look on a bigger screen with full HD (is it 'i' which is more detailed).  Madden is just unbelievable, COD too - because I sit fairly close the screen you feel like you're sat "in" the game. 

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: Borboski on January 20, 2010, 07:19:07 PM
I got a 40" Samsung yesterday, I can't say how much more impressive the games look on a bigger screen with full HD (is it 'i' which is more detailed).  Madden is just unbelievable, COD too - because I sit fairly close the screen you feel like you're sat "in" the game.

Agreed, makes a massive difference.

1080p is the setting you want. The 'p' is progressive so every line is drawn and 'i' is interlaced so every other line is drawn alternately.

Borboski

Sorry, it's P that I've got.  I thought it was amazing, and then remembered that on the xbox you tell it whether it's i or p, so changed to p, and noticed another improvement!

Still Not George

Quote from: Borboski on January 20, 2010, 07:49:56 PM
Sorry, it's P that I've got.  I thought it was amazing, and then remembered that on the xbox you tell it whether it's i or p, so changed to p, and noticed another improvement!
It's utterly incredible, isn't it? I couldn't do 1080p until we got a HDMI cable, and once it was in it was amazing. Even the starting splashscreen is ludicrously crisp and sharp.

jutl

...although almost no games actually render at anything higher than 720p - they're just upscaled.

PS3 games native resolutions
360 games native resolutions

AsparagusTrevor

Another reason I like PC gaming. I have the PC hooked up to the telly via DVI and play at nice full 1080p and it's sharp as a sharp buggerson, and with anti-aliasing and all that gubbins.

glitch

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on January 20, 2010, 07:10:19 PM
Been playing Dark Void this afternoon, very disappointed as I loved the Crimson Skies game that these guys made on the old XBox. Even Bear McCreary appears to have made a half arse effort by reusing his Battlestar Galactica off cuts for the music.

That's a shame, I was really looking forward to it as I enjoyed Crimson Skies on the PC and XBox.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: glitch on January 21, 2010, 02:02:46 PM
That's a shame, I was really looking forward to it as I enjoyed Crimson Skies on the PC and XBox.

To follow up on what I said, I'm a bit further in now and it has definitely improved. Also I don't know what the console versions are like but the PC has a very poor field-of-view by default which makes it horrible to see what is going on in the periphery, especially when it comes to landing on platforms or keeping enemies in view while flying. However you can use the same config file tweaks from Borderlands to make it a much more enjoyable experience. I'll post a comparison in a little bit.

Bear McCreary remains a lazy shit though, one of the tracks is almost note for note the jangly bits from his "All Along The Watchtower" arrangement from BSG.

REVEEN!

And he's not even a real bear.

Penfold

ModNation Racers Beta is up for anyone interested.

Not sure how it works, i hope all you need to do is download it as it 2gb and open to the first 100,000.

This game and Yakuza 3 are he reasons I need to get my PS3 disc drive fixed.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: jutl on January 20, 2010, 10:50:06 AM
from that link:

That sounds like a decent pitch to me.

I was thinking the same thing actually!  I also always thought there ought to be a jihadi version of GTA but there you go.