Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogaming v2.0 [post individual threads for games]

Started by HappyTree, March 02, 2009, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

Since I seem unable to begin a thread, only being able to input text in the quick reply box; given that Neil would prefer new threads to adding to long, rambling ones; and given that someone already suggested such a thing

could someone please start a Fallout 3 thread? I don't know how much time I'll have to play games, now that the second semester is nearly upon me and I'm woefully behind in class preparation. But I'd like to ask those who've played it what the best way is to make sure I see lots of side quests. I understand that once you finish the main campaign you can't do anything else so I don't want to miss out on whole sections of the game.

In other news, I just bought GRID whose demo I have played to death. Of all the driving games I've ever played GRID has the best handling I've ever come across.

Neil

JPA did just that, HappyTree.  It's a pity there was never a dedicated home for that game before now, it's slowly generated a TON of discussion over the months.  Still too dear pre-owned, though.  Last week I got Burnout Paradise, and Dead Space.  I'm addicted to the former in particular, despite not really liking driving games. 

The Fallout 3 Thread

HappyTree

AsparagusTrevor

I know I'm late to the party but I just started playing GTAIV which I bought during Steam's holiday sale.

I was initially disappointed by it, it started off quite slow, the series' humour seemed to be absent, and even though I bumped the graphics up to high it isn't a much of a looker. I'm really getting into it now though, the gameplay and the plot, and I've found the humour is actually present below the gritty exterior.

I'm not too far,
Spoiler alert
just started the mission where you have to nick the cop car and pull the vans over, shortly after Niko kills Vlad.
[close]

Artemis

Oooh, Assassin's Creed II arrived in the mail today! I was thinking about selling it new, but I might open it up and give it a bash later. It's supposed to be good, no?

Desi Rascal

That reminds me

Does anyone reccomend Beyond Good And Evil? its one of those games i've been meaning to get round to forever, does it deserve the critical plaudits it recieves?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Desi Rascal on January 22, 2010, 11:02:10 PM
That reminds me

Does anyone reccomend Beyond Good And Evil? its one of those games i've been meaning to get round to forever, does it deserve the critical plaudits it recieves?

I was unsure about making a purchase, but bought it on a whim and completely loved it.

HappyTree

Beyond G+E is probably the funnest game I have ever played. The music is very engaging, the whole world is very well realised. It was more of an experience than a game, really.

AsparagusTrevor

Good god yeah, I'm looking forward to the AvP game a lot. I played the first two PC games to death, and everything just worked logically and it was an Alien and/or Predator fan's wet dream. Great mulitplayer too, having three completely distinct species with their own learning curve was the spiritual successor to L4D's versus mode.

VegaLA

AsparagusTrevor

Honestly, they'd really have to try hard to fuck the concept up. As long as they've kept to the structure of the originals it should be a definite one to watch and an instant classic.

Big Jack McBastard

<nothing to see here move along>

Great that there'll be more game talk, Neil. I do often want to start threads about various 'minority interest' games but fear that a post will get swallowed up in this one and any discussion which suits me will be still-born.

Slaaaaabs

Anyone complete the first Mass Effect on the 360 but want to play the sequel on the PC? There is a website with a decent collection of completed game saves with the various outcomes/alignments so you can sort of continue with your own Shepard character... http://www.annakie.com/me/

Flower is just a really beautiful game, isn't it? I'm restricting myself to one level per session to make it last but am hoping it'll have immense replay value.

Can anyone recommend other 'off the beaten track' ps3 games which generally go under the radar?

I 'played' that recently at FACT, they've got some video games-themed exhibition on at the mo (not that great, mind you).

I 'enjoyed' it but I couldn't understand what I was 'doing', either.

A good one I played in the early PS3 days is Loco Roco, maybe you've already got it. More obviously 'puzzle game' and a different beast to Flower but hunky dory, anyway. Also some loose infinite shoot-em-up thing which reminded me of bacteria. Anyone know what I mean?

Little Hoover

Quote from: thehungerartist on January 24, 2010, 06:12:34 PM
Flower is just a really beautiful game, isn't it? I'm restricting myself to one level per session to make it last but am hoping it'll have immense replay value.

Can anyone recommend other 'off the beaten track' ps3 games which generally go under the radar?
Yeah, flower was wonderful.

echochrome is an interesting psn puzzle game, it's like an escher painting in game form. where you make paths by rotating the perspective of the level.

Pseudopath

Quote from: thehungerartist on January 24, 2010, 06:12:34 PM

The secret flowers and trophies ensure plenty of replayability, but I still go back to it from time to time just because it's so damn gorgeous.

Super Stardust HD is hardly 'under the radar', but I've probably dedicated more hours to it than any shop-bought title.

If you haven't played Braid in any of its previous incarnations, it's a must.

Pseudopath

Quote from: The Boston Crab on January 24, 2010, 06:46:14 PM
Also some loose infinite shoot-em-up thing which reminded me of bacteria. Anyone know what I mean?
Riff: Everyday Shooter? That was pretty cool too, although hard as tungsten nails.

Milo

Also some loose infinite shoot-em-up thing which reminded me of bacteria. Anyone know what I mean?

Maybe flOw?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlOw

Rubbish Monkey

Nucleus is a bacteria based shoot em up and PowerUp Forever has you shootin parasites or somethin

It was flOw but also good suggestions, Monk Monk.

Nik Drou

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom is out on Friday.  Zavvi already have it on preorder for 18 quid.  IGN have given it 9.0 (for what that's worth), should I fuck everything and get it?

HappyTree

Dunno when I'll get time to play it, but as I was buying Rob Brydon's Anually Retentive I thought I might as well chuck the 3-quid Mirror's Edge into the basket too.

I hope someone develops a proper Parkour game where you can explore everything around a large city, enter buildings, swing off them, etc. A bit like Skate, like in 3rd person perspective so I can watch all the cool moves I do.

Quote from: Nik Drou on January 25, 2010, 07:16:05 PM
Tatsunoko Vs Capcom is out on Friday.  Zavvi already have it on preorder for 18 quid.  IGN have given it 9.0 (for what that's worth), should I fuck everything and get it?

I played the Jap import a while back. It's a shitload of fun, wild, easy to pick up but presumably has depth - just wasn't quite SF4 so I stuck with that.

samadriel

That fucking X-box site crashes my browser, so I can't click, but if that's today's game trailer, then... jeez it's redundant (nothing new in it, it was just put out to coincide with the announcement of... oh, some special edition bollocks in Japan or whatever.  And the release date, which we already knew the ballpark of anyway.  Ho-hum.)  They put out a trailer for the little anime thing they're releasing too, by the Gonzo studio; it's still saddled with the SF4 team's shit design-work (nice Little Lord Fauntleroy outfit on Seth), but it's much better than the shite anime bits from SF4, that's for sure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXjvdCZLvI

spanky

In December my PS3 got the YLOD and died with The Saboteur inside. I tell Sony this on the phone, and they send a courier to collect the console with disc inside (tried all the suggested methods to eject it, no dice). I was told it could take up to six weeks to return the disc.

Yesterday I got a letter saying 'Our technicians... have confirmed there is no disc within the unit'

Speaking to someone on the phone they confirmed this, and also mentioned that a warranty sticker was broke (I have never attempted to open the machine or do anything more drastic than plug something into the USB slot).

Anyone else had this? I'm fully aware that legally I cannot prove that the disc was in there, but I've asked to lodge a complaint and am waiting on a supervisor call. If they want, they can send a courier around to collect the useless empty Saboteur case.

Essentially I bought a console for over £400, which then failed in under four years. Over £100 for the replacement, and now another £40 worth of game I can no longer play, and all I'm guilty of is buying one of their consoles.

I've written a polite yet mildly threatening letter of complaint to Sony.

Little Hoover

Hmm I had the console die with a disc inside, and they replaced the console a couple of days later and they did manage to get the disc back to me in about 6 weeks (And they said on the phone that they couldn't gurantee it, but they'll try to get it back to me in 6 weeks) Sorry you didn't have such a good experince.

VegaLA

Just wanted to recommend the game 'Condemned' in case anyone lissed it since its such an old game. I just completed the 'Bart's Department store' level and I have to confess it is one of the scariest stages i've ever played in a game ever. Knocks the shit out of anything RE* offered.
The atmosphere, the sense of dread, the sound and the shitty location all make for an experience in fear.
Seriously i've never been messed up playing a horror game like this before.
Give it a go, the first few levels are standard but it gets better as you advance forwards.

*Never played Silent Hill so can't comment.