Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:37:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogaming v2.0 [post individual threads for games]

Started by HappyTree, March 02, 2009, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The strength of the Vice City-onwards settings is that their real life counterparts are so well represented in films and the like. You can find your way around by following buildings that you're already familiar with. The only landmark that comes to mind when I think of Tokyo is that big radio mast, and that's not really enough to base a game on.

Consignia

I don't know, there are plenty of landmarks in Tokyo. Areas such Shibuya, Shinjuku and Odaiba all have their own flavour that's recognisable. The Yakuza games do accurately convey the feeling of the Kabukicho district without actually using a real area.

However, I've never seen the allure of a Tokyo based GTA. It seems there's a lot of demand for it, as it always comes each time a new GTA setting comes around. GTA games always have heavy grounding in film references, and I don't think there are too many Japanese crime films that are popular in the western eye.

Nik Drou

Am I the only one who's fancied a GTA with a futuristic setting?  Say 50-100 years hence, flying cars, elaborate weaponry, mad architecture and all the sledgehammer satire would probably be in better context.  I'm not sure how you'd do the radio, maybe have original music composed for it.

No?

HappyTree

On that note, when's Crackdown 2 coming out?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Nik Drou on February 21, 2010, 10:53:55 PM
Am I the only one who's fancied a GTA with a futuristic setting?  Say 50-100 years hence, flying cars, elaborate weaponry, mad architecture and all the sledgehammer satire would probably be in better context.  I'm not sure how you'd do the radio, maybe have original music composed for it.

No?
Could certainly be interesting. I'd really like to see one set in the late '60/early '70s though. There's be absolutely loads of scope for film references, satire and such. Not to mention the potential aceness of the soundtrack.

AsparagusTrevor

GTA2 was set slightly in the future. They didn't go far with the concept though, no flying cars or laser guns, although there was that electricicty gun thing.

MojoJojo

Hijacking flying cars could be difficult.

Still Not George

Not if you have a jetpack.

AsparagusTrevor

Or extending limbs like Inspector Gadget.

falafel

mobias

I did hear somewhere that Rockstar seriously considered setting San Andreas in the 1970's. I think Rockstar North's upcoming Agent game which is set in the 1970's is going to be their little nod to that era's culture rather than setting a GTA in that decade. 

spanky

LA Noire is 40s/50s too which covers that era for a while.

My initial thought on the next GTA was that they'd use Carcer City which is already part of the GTA world but yet to be visited (I think Manhunt used it?), and that they'd go for an industrial Detroit/Baltimore kind of Eastern city, with a fair bit of influence from The Wire which seemed to get very hip while GTA4 was being made and beyond.

Not much in the way of landmarks though, unless they went for a Baltimore/DC state environment like San Andreas.

spanky

Quote from: spanky on February 03, 2010, 12:54:08 PM
In December my PS3 got the YLOD and died with The Saboteur inside. I tell Sony this on the phone, and they send a courier to collect the console with disc inside (tried all the suggested methods to eject it, no dice). I was told it could take up to six weeks to return the disc.

Yesterday I got a letter saying 'Our technicians... have confirmed there is no disc within the unit'

Speaking to someone on the phone they confirmed this, and also mentioned that a warranty sticker was broke (I have never attempted to open the machine or do anything more drastic than plug something into the USB slot).

Anyone else had this? I'm fully aware that legally I cannot prove that the disc was in there, but I've asked to lodge a complaint and am waiting on a supervisor call. If they want, they can send a courier around to collect the useless empty Saboteur case.

Essentially I bought a console for over £400, which then failed in under four years. Over £100 for the replacement, and now another £40 worth of game I can no longer play, and all I'm guilty of is buying one of their consoles.

I've written a polite yet mildly threatening letter of complaint to Sony.

Yeah boyee.

mobias

HappyTree

I just received Saboteur. Looks excellent. First chance I get I'm going to climb the Eiffel Tower!

buntyman

Anyone got Tetris Party on the Wii and would like to take me at online games of it?

VegaLA

Quote from: HappyTree on February 22, 2010, 01:03:29 AM
On that note, when's Crackdown 2 coming out?

Unfortunately no date set as of yet, but have a look at the package artwork.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22168/Crackdown-2-Box-Artwork-Revealed/

HappyTree

I saw some preview footage of the developers showing different functions in a kind of God mode. You can tie things together with magnetic bombs and send gas canisters jetting off unpredictably if you shoot the ends off. It looks "awesome".

TGS 2009: Crackdown 2 Demo 2 of 3

turnstyle

Anyone played Half Minute Hero on the PSP?

It's essentially an 8 bit action JRPG, in the vein of Zelda/Final Fantasy, BUT the twist is...well, can you guess the twist? Um, yes, you only have 30 seconds to complete the level. So you have to visit the villages, talk to the locals (time is frozen in towns), complete side quests, fight beasties and kill the boss in 30 seconds. You CAN reset the time limit by paying money to the Time Goddess in towns, but you get penalised for it.

It's great. There are four different modes, but I've only played and completed the trad RPG one so far. However, each level has a couple of side quests, which I'll be going back for.

It's also genuinely funny, if you've got a passing knowledge of 8 bit RPG's.

VegaLA

Cheers HappyTree, sounds interesting mission wise, and although the game is set in the same location as the original it does look a bit too familiar. I was hoping at least they would move in another direction just to give it a more fresh appeal.

Lee Van Cleef

Hey numpty nuts,

Yesterday I went crazy and splurged £500 on a new HD TV which is all pretty and shiny.  Next thing I was thinking of getting was a 360 so I can partake in crazy good gaming.  Anyone know the best deal on a decent bundle with a 360 Elite?

weekender

Go here:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/

Search for Xbox 360, that should give you an idea of the current good prices.

If you can wait a while, every now and then a really good deal for things like an Xbox will get posted.  For example, this one looks quite good, and still seems to work:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/611992/xbox-360-elite-console-halo-odst-wi

Lee Van Cleef

Didn't see that one when I searched play but that's gold, and it comes with Fable II which I really want to get.  With Forza for tradebait that looks like a really nice package.  Cheers dude.

Now to justify to myself spending another £200.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 22, 2010, 03:14:13 AM
Could certainly be interesting. I'd really like to see one set in the late '60/early '70s though. There's be absolutely loads of scope for film references, satire and such. Not to mention the potential aceness of the soundtrack.

Yes please!

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: weekender on February 27, 2010, 12:09:39 PMhttp://www.hotukdeals.com/item/611992/xbox-360-elite-console-halo-odst-wi

Quick question, does that come with the HDMI cable in the box?  Not sure because it doesn't mention it anywhere.

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on February 28, 2010, 01:02:04 PM
Quick question, does that come with the HDMI cable in the box?  Not sure because it doesn't mention it anywhere.

The Elite used to but I don't think it does any more. It'll probably have the same lead I got with my 60GB Pro, which works as either composite (ie. crappy) or component (ie. good).

Big Jack McBastard

There are some dirt cheap HDMI cables on ^mazon got one for under £2 a few weeks back. Check to see if your telly supports 1080p though, mine doesn't and I was somewhat miffed at that.

Also it played up when I set up Guitar Hero 5 to use Dolby (got a load of hiss). I can barely see any difference in picture between the composite and the HDMI to be honest, but that is at 1080i.

jutl

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on March 01, 2010, 07:23:54 AMI can barely see any difference in picture between the composite and the HDMI to be honest, but that is at 1080i.

If your TV is 720p then you're better off just setting your console's output to be that, rather than relying on it to do the resampling.

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on March 01, 2010, 07:23:54 AM
There are some dirt cheap HDMI cables on ^mazon got one for under £2 a few weeks back. Check to see if your telly supports 1080p though, mine doesn't and I was somewhat miffed at that.

Also it played up when I set up Guitar Hero 5 to use Dolby (got a load of hiss). I can barely see any difference in picture between the composite and the HDMI to be honest, but that is at 1080i.

Yeah I saw a bunch on play.com for a relatively good price.  Yeah my TV is 1080p.  I bought it brand new on Friday, LG 32LH5000.