Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogaming v2.0 [post individual threads for games]

Started by HappyTree, March 02, 2009, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: ozziechef on March 12, 2010, 05:51:31 PM
Red Ring of Death for me yesterday and sawe my Xbox picked up on its' trip to Germany today.

They say 20 days to get it back but does anyone have any experience?

Less than a week for me. My friend got his in eight days.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on March 12, 2010, 06:18:03 PM
Anyone else see the Unlimited Detail Technology presentation on Youtube? Polygons are dead!

Unlimited Detail Technology

Looks a lot like voxels to me, but apparently not according to Bruce Dell (who sounds like a daytime TV presenter)

http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com/
All very interesting indeed, but like SNG I can't help but feel a bit skeptical. Dell seems to talk a lot without actually saying very much and it's hard not to feel prejudiced towards someone with such an incredibly smarmy manner (though if it does what he say then I guess he's naturally going to feel a bit pleased with himself).

Spiteface

Gamesmaster to return?

This might turn out to the best news I've heard today.

Still Not George

I suspect he's read a tutorial on smart raycasting techniques while half asleep, remembered it subconsciously, then thought he's invented it.

Just seen your link, jutl.
QuoteCould some one please explain to me what memory cache is and why I have never encountered it in C programming.
Do you think Neil would permit me a open-mouthed emoticon just this once?

HappyTree

When my 360 RROD'd, from signalling the fault online to getting it back in my hands was 13 days.

Slaaaaabs

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That's what I was thinking. Except that I couldn't remember the name of the company.

Little Hoover

So I played through that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and it's pretty good, it doesn't feel much like a Silent Hill game, but it was interesting nonetheless. The story and characters certainly do go off in a different direction, and the horror aspects of the game have certainly been stripped back.
Spoiler alert
There's hardly even any bloodshed in this game, the religious cult aspects of the first game have been taken away entirely, it's about a man searching for his daughter, and he seems to be losing his mind, the town's under a snowstorm, but nothing supernatural seems to be going on for anyone else in the town
[close]
There's not very much in the way of horror really, if you wanted to box it in to a genre, it'd probably be better classified as a "psychological thriller" or something. The main problem is, outside of the icy world where the creatures pursue you, you're in no danger, and you're just exploring the town, solving mostly very simple puzzles. It still manages to create a bit of a tense atmosphere, but there's really not much challenge. The nightmare sequences don't work very well, since the object tends to just be to run away, which means there's a frantic tension, but not really a sense of fear. It also just means you have to look at your map, and try figure out which way to go, in advance, it gets pretty frustrating when you get lost, and these sequences of the game are pretty short as well. I suppose they're somewhat successful in that you don't look forward to them you're glad when they're over, but they just aren't very well designed.
As for the whole "psychological profiling" and the promises that they way you play would radically affect the game, well it only works in quite a limited way, and doesn't seem to deliver some of the things that it promised, but it's ok.

So an interesting experiment that works with varying levels of success, doesn't feel like a proper silent hill game, but I found it a lot more enjoyable than homecoming.

hoverdonkey

Red Ring of Death for me yesterday and sawe my Xbox picked up on its' trip to Germany today.

Mine came back in about 10, which seemed rather impressive

mycroft

Spookily, I'm also having to send my Xbox off after discovering its E74-related death just now. Glad it sounds like a quick and easy process, just awaiting my label to be e-mailed along.

weekender

It turns out you can have sparkly game stars on your save file of New Super Mario Bros Wii if you don't activate the Super Guide during the game.

I wish someone had told me that before I'd activated it on World 1, just to see what it looked like.

I only know now because having not used it since, I'm going back to check if I've missed anything hidden in the game using some online walkthroughs, and do you know what?  That's the only thing I've missed.

FUCK, FUCK AND FUCKING FUCK.

Harfyyn Teuport

I help out with an initiative here in Dublin, Fighting Words, which gives kids the space to try a little creative writing where its been denied in mainstream school syllabus. Every day is surprising but today I learned that Dublin's seven year olds are eerily games-savvy.

They knew him as Shigsy but insisted I spell the name for them properly. Spelling aside, it's entirely their invention.

This picture in particular blows my mind...

I think Iwata-san needs better PR to really grab the attention of Dublin's coveted 7 year old inner city kids market.

Big Jack McBastard

I've done this 3 times now, twice on my old machine (both motherboard faults) once on my new one (dodgy disc drive)

First went to Germany and took 16 days, second went to the south of England somewhere and took 8 days, third went to Germany again and took 12 days.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: mobias on March 12, 2010, 06:29:32 PM
Bruce Dell sounds like he's taking the piss, I don't like him, I don't like him at all.

Seconded, you can feel the sneer of the man and just how many times can you hear the phrase 'unlimited point cloud daataa' before you want to slap him.

The fact that it's showing a static pre-rendered model world, duplications, glitches and all with no in-world movement (bar the old 'no clip' eye moving through them) which is also horribly choppy points to this being tripe. It needs some massive improvements and actual examples of working mechanics before it should be even glanced at seriously.

Lee Van Cleef

This morning I've been playing Bayonetta.

I love it.

keith bland

Hello.

If you have got Pikmin or Pikmin 2 on the Wii then did you know that you can have a different cover for these games if you want? Because there is another cover actually printed on the other side of the cover so all you have to do is turn it over to have a different cover. Pikmin and Pikmin 2 are from this special series called play control which is a series of games that actually used to be on the Gamecube but now they are on the Wii so maybe all of the games from this series have got different covers but anyway I only just found out about Pikmin and Pikmin 2 having different covers and the different covers are better than the original covers if you ask me.

Keith

I would love you to write a review in Top 1000 Games, Keith.

Only if you've got the time, mind.

Father O`Blivion

Mafia II
(Now) Due for release on 04/06/2010

Gedthafugoutoveer, youz Czech mooks.

dredd

Still Not George

I fired up a new world this lunchtime. The new description system is fucking INSANE.

_Hypnotoad_

That looks like the geekiest game in the world

Look at what you could be doing !

Father O`Blivion

Edit - Misread the above post due to the copious inhalation of soft drugs.

Is Mafia II not out yet?

Depressed Beyond Tables

Today's latest PS3 update means you can no longer install other OSs on the system. If you don't update you can't connect to PSN.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/03/29/ps3-firmware-3-21-coming-april-1st/

Still Not George

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on April 01, 2010, 08:53:29 PM
That looks like the geekiest game in the world

Look at what you could be doing !

Tis true, we could be wasting our time playing exactly the same fucking FPS game over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again with slightly different graphics, like some kind of ultraviolent FIFA franchise but with much more dull brown. That would in fact be an option.

NAH! If anybody wants me, I'll be building an enormous deathtrap involving lava, and a statue of myself, made out of ASCII characters, while simultaneously trying to prevent everyone going crazy and killing each other. In a game that has a more realistic damage system than BF2. No, seriously, it does.

Father O`Blivion

Quote from: Still Not George on April 01, 2010, 10:52:20 PM
some kind of ultraviolent FIFA franchise but with much more dull brown.
Tom Clancy's African Cup of Nations Bloodbath?

I'd buy it.

ThickAndCreamy

I played Rock Band for the first time last night with 3 other people. Probably some of the most fun I've had in a very long time playing a multiplayer game.

Having to sing along is probably the best part, as the awful bluntness and extremities that I and my friends sing at make it impossible to play along without nearly breaking down in laughing fits. Rock Band is magnificent! (Even if I am about 2 years too late).

_Hypnotoad_

Quote from: Still Not George on April 01, 2010, 10:52:20 PM
Tis true, we could be wasting our time playing exactly the same fucking FPS game over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again with slightly different graphics, like some kind of ultraviolent FIFA franchise but with much more dull brown. That would in fact be an option.

NAH! If anybody wants me, I'll be building an enormous deathtrap involving lava, and a statue of myself, made out of ASCII characters, while simultaneously trying to prevent everyone going crazy and killing each other. In a game that has a more realistic damage system than BF2. No, seriously, it does.

Nerd

Still Not George

You just can't get over the fact that a game using ASCII graphics has better water simulation than your graphics whorefest.

Entropy Balsmalch

Super Mario Kart finally out for the Virtual Console.

I suspect I'm going to buy it, play it for about an hour and then scratch my head as to how I lost almost two years of my University life to playing it.