Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:47:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogaming v2.0 [post individual threads for games]

Started by HappyTree, March 02, 2009, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Sorry, I've never bought my own console because I've always had free access to them, from my brother as a kid, and then at work from when I was a teenager. I spend most of my working day playing as much as I can and still do my job, despite the fact that I am a sub, and rarely get to get my teeth into a game long-term. But my Ghostbusters obsession means complete ownership of every drop of the story.

I deeply regret saying anything now, I'm just excited, you cunts.

Deadman97

Really pleased to hear that it delivers, cheers Jem.

chand

Just been on Steam and noticed that they've discounted the Oddworld games to £1.50 each, or you can buy a pack containing both Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus for the ludicrously cheap price of £2.25.

VegaLA

Competition for MS, Sony and Nintendo ?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/25/video-onlive-streaming-game-demonstrated/

Not heard about it before today but a friend saw it mentioned on Yahoo so this may be one to keep an eye on.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I had that idea yeeeeeeeeaars ago.

I'm a genius.

Famous Mortimer

I also ready a bunch of stuff about how Britain, especially, would need significantly better infrastructure if anyone really wanted to use this service properly. I may be talking nonsense, of course, but it seemed compelling.

glitch

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 27, 2009, 07:35:16 AM
I also ready a bunch of stuff about how Britain, especially, would need significantly better infrastructure if anyone really wanted to use this service properly. I may be talking nonsense, of course, but it seemed compelling.

There was a big convention on IPTV this week. It's being discussed by the people who want to push better infrastructure so they can serve better streaming.

Has anyone tried the new Fallout 3 DLC?

Yet more ways that we, the consumer, no longer have physical product worth money. The money leaves our accounts and can never return.

Steam is bad enough, as far as I'm concerned. This can just fuck right off.

Still Not George

Quote from: The Region Legion on March 27, 2009, 12:16:22 PM
Yet more ways that we, the consumer, no longer have physical product worth money. The money leaves our accounts and can never return.

Steam is bad enough, as far as I'm concerned. This can just fuck right off.

Something a little better coming from, of all people, Stardock...

http://www.destructoid.com/the-solution-to-the-drm-crisis-goo-of-course--126378.phtml
QuoteUniversal Activation.  If I buy a copy of a game from Steam or Direct2Drive or Impulse that is also available on one of the other platforms, I should be able to re-download it form any of the services that it's available on.

Used copies. But with Goo, now the game developer and the user can both benefit and let gamers resell their copy to someone else. That's because the Goo'd EXE is encrypted and the user can voluntarily disable their access from it thus making it transferable.

Untethered gaming. Because Goo is all self-contained, there's no third party client floating around. A developer can use this on their game and have it available at retail or other digital distributors.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Resident Evil 5 is very good fun.

Someone may have already mentioned one of the boss fights is basically the cave troll from Fellowship of The Ring.

This is like a weird mixture of Shenmue QTE set pieces/Tomb Raider basic puzzle solving/House Of The Dead type-arcade gaming/Ninja Gaiden overkill.

The action is top-notch but you do rather pine for the old never-shredding affairs, trying to use ammo sparingly. It's not scary anymore, at all. Even the dumb-ass AI zombies stand right next to you, you don't shit yourself like on the old game, you just reload calmly in the knowledge that 75% of the time they won't even acknowledge that you're there. And that's on Hard.

The worst thing about finishing levels on co-op is seeing how routinely worse I am at the game than my flatmate, even though we've both had a standing start.

Probably 7-8/10 would be a fair score for it.

The 'cave troll' in RE5 sounds pretty much like the cave troll from RE4...which is basically the cave troll from Fellowship of the Ring.

I was so pumped for RE5 after 4 gave me one of the best gaming experiences of my life but they've really dumbed it down for the 360 crew and turned it into an arcade-cum-FPS-cum-all-over-mah-casual-tits.

You're dead orrrrn about the ammo-sparing resource-whoring knee-shootin'-a-knife-swipin'-oh-crumbs-he's-a-gettin'-up-BOOM-HEADSHOT of the previous games. That's the fucken joy of Resi. Playing the cunt ten times until you're Primo Levy and can swish through it using only the pistol. That gives you the thickest, hardiest, most damned purposeful boner you'll get with the game.

Quite simply, it's not Resident Evil.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I would've thought the Wii's lightgun style action and the different demographics of the Wii's audience would be more of an incentive to dumb-down.

At least, I can't see what's particularly outstanding about the 360's dumb-ass games as opposed to the Wii or the PS3's dumb-ass games.

I think in my opinion they just got excited about the hardware capabilities and lost sight of what they achieved when they were surrounded by an invisible technological harness and had to make do.

I was JUST about edit an explanation for that in. I was making fun of my anti-360 comments elsewhere. I've got my eye on one myself, largely for SFIV and GTA IV. That said, ignoring my ill-toned remark, it's not Resi to me.

If it was on the Wii of course, your gun would jam every other round and you'd have to shake the cunt loose, then play a boxing minigame against your zombified Mii.

That said, I just got Call of Duty on the Wii and the controls are fucking superb, up there with Metroid and Medal of Honour 2. If the Wii had just a little more firepower...the controls really are incredibly satisfying sometimes. I also played through SMG last week with my lady friend. She loved it. It brought a tear to my eye. Well, obviously it didn't but I was really happy to actually play a game again with someone who understands the joy of Mario. New PES out soon too. The last was a revelation, quite an astonishing way to play a football game after twenty years of conditioning, even if my thick cunt mate thinks that FIFA actually gives you more control over the players/ball than simply dragging and pointing EXACTLY where you want it to go. What a fucking dope. Hope they've sorted out the defending this time, it could put them even further ahead.

Little Hoover

Resi 5 Is fun, but the problem is every step of the way your thinking "they did this better in RE 4" The only changes they've made are for the worse. There just isn't the same variety of gameplay, the boss battles aren't as inventive. It just lack the perfect pacing and structure and all that stuff. And the plot just takes itself too damn seriously, I appreciate there's people that really care about the ongoing story arc for some reason, but to me it's just not very interesting. 4 had a much more knowing sense of humour about itself.

Fry

The fight against the
Spoiler alert
water monster thing
[close]
was beautiful though.

Little Hoover

It was a good spectacle, but it wasn't tactically a very interesting fight.

Spiteface

I'm currently about two thirds of the way through RE5.

You're all right, it's just not RE4.

Took me a while to get past that very first bit with the horde of Majini, if I am to be followed by a partner, I want them to be invincible, like Tails in Sonic 2.  I don't want to have to worry about something like that (I'm not playing co-op with another human).  It also detracts from what made RE4 so great.

I'll bullshit about RE5 a little more once I've finished it.  RE4 was the first one I played to completion since RE1 many moons ago.

chocky909

The only one I ever played all the way through was Code: Veronica on the Dreamcast. Great stuff.

j_u_d_a_s

Wot? No love for Resident Evil 2? The finest entry of the old school Resi games?

I echo all of the above comments. It does feel like a dumbed down version of Resi 4,
Spoiler alert
my heart sank especially during the scene where Jill and Chris fight Wesker with Matrix Fu
[close]
. It seems to be competing with shootfests like Gears of War and it just can't. Not with a control system that already feels antiquated. And the AI partner is just a collosal pain compared to Left 4 Dead.

If it hadn't have been for that big number '5' at the end of the title, it would have been merely functional. But the problem is as we've all surmised, it's just not Resident Evil.

Between this and Silent Hill:Homecoming, I can't believe how 2 of my favourite game franchises have fallen so far this generation.

Famous Mortimer

I like Silent Hill: Homecoming. Certainly better than 3 or 4.

But...

MAX PAYNE 3 COMING THIS WINTER
I'm excited like a giddy schoolgirl.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 28, 2009, 06:49:48 AM
MAX PAYNE 3 COMING THIS WINTER
I'm excited like a giddy schoolgirl.

Oh fuck yes. FUCK YES. As long as he's not voiced by Mark Wahlberg...

chand

Quote"This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation."

Finally they're moving on from the chirpy, happy-go-lucky joker from the previous games.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: chand on March 28, 2009, 12:32:30 PM
Finally they're moving on from the chirpy, happy-go-lucky joker from the previous games.
Short of him turning to the screen and blowing his own brains out in the first seconds of part 3, I don't see how it could get any bleaker. And, I played Max Payne 2 all the way through on hard level to get the happy ending too!

I am really, really looking forward to this. I hope they keep the same voice actor from part 2, as he was great.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 28, 2009, 06:49:48 AM
I like Silent Hill: Homecoming. Certainly better than 3 or 4.

Buh?!?! I can definitely understand 4, but 3?
Homecoming's problems were of familiarity in that you saw everything you expected to see in a Silent Hill game and the plot twist was signposted from the start. It's worst crime as well was visually paying tribute to the movie, photocopying what was already a bad photocopy. As a game it played well but once you figured out the attack patterns, combat became a chore rather than the neccessary evil it was in the previous games.

SH 3 at least was visually interesting, seeing the pulsating walls and 4 for all of it's many faults at least tried to break out and expand the idea. Homecoming was a fangame in every respect and not in a good way.

Famous Mortimer

I agree that 4 was an interesting idea, it just didn't work and it was way too far into the game before you got any inkling of what was going on. And I just never "felt" 3, it just didn't click with me.

For those of us who suck at fighting baddies at the best of times, the monsters in 5 have been a nice challenge. Given that it's been years since the film and even longer since game 2, it didn't feel like a photocopy to me, at all. As far as puzzles and fighting, it's at least the equal of any game in the series, and while it does bear more than a passing resemblance to part 2, if you're going to look like any game, at least look like one of the best games ever.

Plot twist? I'm not at the end yet, but I've got a fairly good idea what it might be. Ah, if I wanted a proper plot I'd read a book. Yes, I am making making excuses for it because I like it.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 28, 2009, 01:15:34 PM
I agree that 4 was an interesting idea, it just didn't work and it was way too far into the game before you got any inkling of what was going on. And I just never "felt" 3, it just didn't click with me.

For those of us who suck at fighting baddies at the best of times, the monsters in 5 have been a nice challenge. Given that it's been years since the film and even longer since game 2, it didn't feel like a photocopy to me, at all. As far as puzzles and fighting, it's at least the equal of any game in the series, and while it does bear more than a passing resemblance to part 2, if you're going to look like any game, at least look like one of the best games ever.

Plot twist? I'm not at the end yet, but I've got a fairly good idea what it might be. Ah, if I wanted a proper plot I'd read a book. Yes, I am making making excuses for it because I like it.

Fair dos, I've always treated this series like a book though. Homecoming felt like it had missed the point on so many levels, there's a couple of areas that do look absolutely stunning though to be fair.

It is a perfectly servicable game but not enough for me to chew on. And let's face it, SH 2 is now like a giant shadow casting itself over the entire franchise. It does seem unlikely that any further sequels will stand on their own merit without being in some way compared to 2 or indeed if they'll ever surpass it.

I don't like this next gen of consoles, I want my money back!

Famous Mortimer

I think there's a limit to how far this sort of game can go. Much like all the big franchises. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do reboots of them all at some point with the new generation of consoles - Silent Hill, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. They're all cash cows and you might as well take advantage of the people who remember the original games fondly, getting them to buy it for nostalgia and the new generation of gamers who'll get it because it's shiny and looks awesome and has all the cool stuff of the original still there.

Little Hoover

I'm probably alone but I thought SH4 was better than SH3. SH3 was all too familiar and repetitive, and it was too action oriented, giving you machine guns and katana's sort of takes away some of the fear. SH4 had the right idea, awkwardly fighting with whatever blunt instruments you can find is the way to go, and any ammo you can find is like gold dust. As well as this, it's plot is far more interesting. Surely it's a good thing in a horror game to not really know what's going on, I found the way it slowly reveals it's plot far more interesting, there's no real mystery to 3 it explains all it's plot rather than leaving the audience to interpret and figure things out for themselves.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: chocky909 on March 27, 2009, 10:09:28 PM
The only one I ever played all the way through was Code: Veronica on the Dreamcast. Great stuff.

As we're talking about Resi 5 dumbing down into a pseudo-lightgun action, it's worth pointing out that there was a decent arcade style port of Code Veronica for the PS2.

Code: Veronica is my favourite as well. It looked beautiful and it had the same old-school tension of 'I am on my own. There is no-one else. Five zombies are shambling towards me. I have eight bullets and no herbs. Where is the toilet, please?'

Resident Evil 2 was a nice development of the original I thought. The worst things about the older ones were the amount of backtracking, which I used to hate. Easily forgivable though seen as they contain actual zombies rather than spade-wielding Africans infected with Rage AIDS.