Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogaming v2.0 [post individual threads for games]

Started by HappyTree, March 02, 2009, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Little Hoover on March 28, 2009, 02:14:30 PM
SH3 was all too familiar and repetitive, and it was too action oriented
I have to agree with you there. It's funny that fan fiction should be mentioned, as that's pretty much what I thought about 3. Revisiting the plot of the first game and jettisoning the psychological complexity that made 2 so great.

By the way, if you don't want bad Silent Hill fan fic, avoid the comics. They are gash.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 28, 2009, 02:54:33 PM
Easily forgivable though seen as they contain actual zombies rather than spade-wielding Africans infected with Rage AIDS.
That's the thing that wound me up the most - where the hell are the zombies at? It's just not as much fun killin' and a-slaughterin' ordinary people with a weird bug in them, than it is zombies.

VegaLA

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 28, 2009, 04:57:36 PM
That's the thing that wound me up the most - where the hell are the zombies at?

Capcom shuffled them off to their new francise, 'Dead Rising'.
Which is no bad thing.

Famous Mortimer

"Dead Rising" was no fun because there were just too many of them. I reckon you could kill a lot of zombies with a sword, or a baseball bat...certainly a lot more than about 5 or 6, which seemed to be the game's limit for any weapon before it became useless. The 10-minute Arcade free trial was more than enough exposure to how the vast majority of the game ran, I thought.

Is it too much to ask that games companies make exactly the sort of game I personally want, and bugger the expense or potential popularity of such a move?

Still Not George

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 28, 2009, 09:05:34 PM
"Dead Rising" was no fun because there were just too many of them. I reckon you could kill a lot of zombies with a sword, or a baseball bat...certainly a lot more than about 5 or 6, which seemed to be the game's limit for any weapon before it became useless. The 10-minute Arcade free trial was more than enough exposure to how the vast majority of the game ran, I thought.
Pish and tush. I've killed dozens of zombies with the heated frying pan alone. And that's before you start using the special magazines and so on...

The katana etc. are meant to be shortlived because they're so implausibly powerful they're really wasted on zombies, they really should be saved for psychopaths. The baseball bat, knife etc on the other hand are really good, pretty reliable weapons.

Famous Mortimer

I bow to your superior knowledge because it's not like I played the game a lot - I think I did about 6 hours on it before getting bored. I would definitely have stayed for longer if I'd had a frying pan :) My mate did the ridiculous unlock of getting a real lightsabre through playing it for X hours nonstop without dying.

Still Not George

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 28, 2009, 09:56:21 PM
I bow to your superior knowledge because it's not like I played the game a lot - I think I did about 6 hours on it before getting bored. I would definitely have stayed for longer if I'd had a frying pan :)
It's really easy to get. In Paradise Plaza (the bit you come out in from the Warehouse), there's an eatery upstairs (just opposite the sports shop with the infinite supply of baseball bats). If you go in there, the frying pan's behind the counter, and you can power it up by wielding it, then moving over to the stove and pressing 'B'. Then press and hold the attack button just in front of a zombie to burn it's face off.

QuoteMy mate did the ridiculous unlock of getting a real lightsabre through playing it for X hours nonstop without dying.
It's an awesome thing to see, that lightsabre... I don't think there is any other reasonable way to get the "kill every single zombie in the mall" Achievement within the 72 hours.

mikeyg27

I'd just like to thank everyone waxing lyrical about the older Resi games for reminding me that I've been hoarding the Gamecube versions of a few of them. I've just started playing Resi 2 and once you get over the tank-like controls it's pretty good stuff.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The older Resident Evil games seem to have become a bit underrated over time. I've noticed there is a tendency for folk to refer to them as nothing more than cheap shocks, when Resi 4 and especially Silent Hill are being discussed and, much as I love the first two Silent Hills, I think that's unfair on Resi. Those classic Resident Evils are dripping with atmosphere and Silent Hill is not above the odd sudden noise to give you a fright, the first one even did the cat in the cupboard cliché.

Spiteface

Quote from: mikeyg27 on March 29, 2009, 01:24:19 PM
I'd just like to thank everyone waxing lyrical about the older Resi games for reminding me that I've been hoarding the Gamecube versions of a few of them. I've just started playing Resi 2 and once you get over the tank-like controls it's pretty good stuff.

Actually, I was going to ask about these.

A while back in Gamestation in Cardiff, I saw a second-hand Nintendo Gamecube, bundled with the remake of Resi 1, and the conversions of 2 and 3, both of which I never got round to playing (save for a demo of 2 for PS1).  All for a total of £45.  Is it worth it?  I still have rather fond memories of Resident Evil 1 on PS1, and feel like I may have missed out on 2 and 3.

Talking of Resident Evil 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf0EpML-AWM

I liked the game, but my GOD did ever have moments of naffness.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Spiteface on March 29, 2009, 03:48:37 PM
Actually, I was going to ask about these.

A while back in Gamestation in Cardiff, I saw a second-hand Nintendo Gamecube, bundled with the remake of Resi 1, and the conversions of 2 and 3, both of which I never got round to playing (save for a demo of 2 for PS1).  All for a total of £45.  Is it worth it?  I still have rather fond memories of Resident Evil 1 on PS1, and feel like I may have missed out on 2 and 3.
At that price, maybe. The CEX prices for the GC conversions are usually around £12 each (the remake is cheaper), and they're not necessarily the easiest games to get hold of. Ebay prices for the ports even seem to hover around £15+.

QuoteTalking of Resident Evil 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf0EpML-AWM

I liked the game, but my GOD did ever have moments of naffness.

Heh, yeah, the dialogue's something else, isn't it? Of course, the remake adds a CGI intro instead and  improves / ruins all the original dialogue and voice-acting. My favourite line in RE2 so far has been "About two months ago, there was this incident... involving zombies... in a mansion".

Baxter

samadriel

Ooo, this reminds me... House of the Dead 2!

"Gary!  Come quickly -- we're in a serious state!"

Gosh, I hadn't heard some of these, this is Roger Explosion-grade.

Baxter

Sounds like a thread, if only I could think of more examples.

I had my girlfriend in stitches the other night after we'd played some RE4 on the Wii.

"What are ye boyin?" I said, about twenty times. "What are ye SELLIN?" I continued. "I'll boy it for a hoy proice!" with which I topped it off.

Then I said "Not enough CASH!" but she didn't laugh because she'd never heard him say that when we were playing and the whole thing was getting a bit stale by then too.

"What are ye boyin?" I could say that until I die, I reckon. it never fails to tickle me.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 29, 2009, 05:55:14 PM
I had my girlfriend in stitches the other night after we'd played some RE4 on the Wii.

"What are ye boyin?" I said, about twenty times. "What are ye SELLIN?" I continued. "I'll boy it for a hoy proice!" with which I topped it off.

Then I said "Not enough CASH!" but she didn't laugh because she'd never heard him say that when we were playing and the whole thing was getting a bit stale by then too.

"What are ye boyin?" I could say that until I die, I reckon. it never fails to tickle me.

Have you seen this? Great stuff... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXx0qwe0wc

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

HappyTree

This Shenmue spoof thing is hilarious. The Assassin's Creed one is pretty good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgmCdt4EgxU

Phil_A

Ah, the old classics

This is my favourite HOTD2 clip. Not only does the delivery manage to be both completely flat and melodramatic at the same time, just listen to how the "actor" gets the emphasis wrong on every single word.

Still Not George

Still Not George

Spiteface

I just finished Resident Evil 5.

I'm gonna try not to spoil this for anyone who hasn't (I'm not sure who else here has done so).  But if there is to be a RE6, where do they go?  Unless they go into remakes/reboots of earlier titles, they can't really do anything now.  It all seemed very "Final" to me.

Famous Mortimer

Spiteface, I'd hazard a guess they'll do a proper all-singing-all-dancing remake of part 1. They certainly won't stop cranking out RE titles while there's still money to be made.

Little Hoover

I would have thought there's still something to explore with Ada, and who she's working for.

VegaLA

Quote from: Still Not George on March 30, 2009, 02:54:12 PM
And also:

Telegraph in "shit paper blames Wii Fit for perfectly healthy man dying for no reason" SHOCKER

Fucksakes. Wonder how long until Jack Thompson cites this one?

There's no mention of what happened to the kebab he ordered.

Still Not George

Beck

Quote from: mikeyg27 on March 29, 2009, 04:17:30 PM
Heh, yeah, the dialogue's something else, isn't it? Of course, the remake adds a CGI intro instead and  improves / ruins all the original dialogue and voice-acting. My favourite line in RE2 so far has been "About two months ago, there was this incident... involving zombies... in a mansion".

Mine too! I've played through RE2 more times than I'd care to count, and that was always one of the highlights, being as it is immortally amusing. During the same conversation, there's a terrific example of the ridiculousness that can result from having voice actors record their lines separately; after the dying cop orders Claire/Leon out, s/he lets out a solitary "But," stopped by an interruption - "I said just go!" - that happens about three seconds later. And after you've left, the door locks immediately - the guy can barely speak, yet he sprints to the door as soon as you're out of it. Also: the name 'Brian Irons.' As I recall, much of the rest of it wasn't as absurdly wooden as the first game, and the third felt a bit more classy again. All in all, they've far more charm than the non-zombie sequels, as fun as those are...

Loving those public-botherer vids - the Ico one in particular had me laughing hard and numerous.

Edit: Oh hang on, I had a reason for coming in here. Does anyone know if you can have a normal 360 controller work on a laptop (for emulation and the like) or is the 'for Windows' the only one that'll do it?

Little Hoover

That shenmue thing is great, I don't even know the game yet his voice and delivery just works perfectly as a parody of so many games.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I just finished Resi 5 as well. Not bad in the end, but the final fight was underwhelming. Still the same dull formulaic last-gen boss fights. IE- they do about 5 different types of attacts, and have weak points in some of the transitions. Fucking inspired, Capcom.

What was most annoying was having to defeat him that way after the game leads you on numerous false starts that lead you to believe that you and your partner could take the guy on and win, even without plugging him with the Uroboros virus.

You unlock an arcade version of the game at the end which is quite fun, practically unlimited ammo and hordes of Rage AIDS infected Africans to slaughter.

Milo

Quote from: Beck on March 31, 2009, 05:50:47 PM
Edit: Oh hang on, I had a reason for coming in here. Does anyone know if you can have a normal 360 controller work on a laptop (for emulation and the like) or is the 'for Windows' the only one that'll do it?

Normal wired ones do work. Think I might have had to let it connect to Windows Update to get a driver.