Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:47:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Awfully New Cricket Thread

Started by aaaaaaaaaargh!, March 02, 2009, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Its one of those compound things- the hype and fear factor has worn off, he's had to plug away on some unhelpful wickets and was scuppered with a few injuries that affected his rhythm. Likewise he seems disinterested and downhearted to not be considered good enough.

One thing to hold on to though- Graeme Swann. Big time charlie who resurrected a career through toiling and learning the game inside out. Rashid has a solid unspectacular action- he just needs more experience to the point where he's mentally tough...if you dont have guts as a legspinner you will get carted.

Bobby Treetops

The good news is I've got a free (yes free e.g. won't cost you a penny) ticket to the England vs Australia One Day International at the Oval tomorrow. The bad news is that it's next to me...boom boom!.

Anyway if you're interested send me a PM

Seriously I'm struggling to get rid of a free ticket, how fucked is that.

rjd2

No idea why Australia were favorites for this ODI series, some very mediocre players in this team.

Clarke out to a nothing ball as I type.

Also

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-pakistan-2012/engine/current/match/562445.html

Road.

Kumar, Mahela and Samarweera must be dying to have a bat on this pitch.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Has the match been light/rain affected? Pakistan have scored a a decent rate yet after 2 full days only scored 488...

The pitch must have been D.O.A if Pakistan can amass a score like that. I feel sorry for the likes of Kulasekera, it's not like he has much of a chance here.

...Australia are struggling to get above 250 here, on what looks like a good batting pitch!

rjd2

Only 44 overs today, and some rain expected in the next few days, so with that and its flatness (5 of the last 9 tests here were draws) can't see a result unless Ajmal does something magical when he bowls.

George Bailey finally playing some shots, they need 260 or so to be competitive, their bowling looks very average now that Cummins is out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah, Lee and Johnson have a threat, but our batsman do like the ball coming onto the bat. I sometimes worry when quick bowlers come along but if you look since the 90s, we've usually done very well against any genuine fast bowlers, it's the economical line and length ones we've struggled against, exception perhaps of Dale Steyn.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A more piss easy and routine win over Australia i cannot remember.

Not even satisfying really- Aussie batting wasnt up to much today, and their bowling is erring on the ordinary.

rjd2

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2012/engine/current/match/542650.html

KP gone for a first ball duck against Hampshire. Have to see the funny side of that, he treated Hampshire like shit and he has shown no interest in playing for Surrey despite them struggling instead preferring to go on holiday. Probably would not have even bothered last night if it wasn't a chance to smash up Hampshire.

rjd2

Different format and all that, but nothing from Australia's ODI team that should concern England. Wade looked totally out of his depth against England's fast bowlers, while Warner, Forest and all their bowlers have done fuck all this series.
Bailey and David hussey looked ok, but hussey has always been overlooked no matter how good his form, and with his age  I'd be shocked to see him ever play a test.

rjd2

QuoteAustralia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson says Barmy Army taunts in past Ashes defeats dented his confidence.

But as he prepared for another clash with the old enemy in the fifth and final one-day international at Old Trafford, the erratic 30-year-old left-arm paceman insisted he no longer carried any mental scars.

The taunts from the 'Barmy Army', an England supporters group, became especially wounding during England's triumphant Ashes tour of 2010/11, with Johnson hearing repeated chants of: "He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, that Mitchell Johnson, his bowling is *****."

"I think back then I let it affect me a lot," Johnson said.

"It's hard not to when that's all you can hear in the cricket ground - your name being sung, and the songs are very catchy.

"I was at that point in my career where I was letting things get to me - it was not necessarily just the crowd, it was everything."

However, Johnson - for whom this short tour has been a first taste of international cricket in seven months following a toe injury in South Africa - added: "But I've pushed on past that.

"I've learned to deal with it and I look at it as a reflection of my performances - they are threatened by me a little.

"I've had some pretty good performances against England in the past."

England though are already a series-winning 3-0 up ahead of Tuesday's match.

Johnson has featured in just one match this series, a six-wicket defeat at The Oval, where a return of 0-43 in seven overs included several no-balls.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/...-1226422191919

Man up Mitch and admitting this? Fucking hell, the likes of Ponting, Merv hughes and Steve Waugh especially must be shaking their heads in shock.

Also Sri lanka finally win a test series

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-pakistan-2012/engine/current/match/562446.html

Should have gone for it, but Pakistan will be the last to complain they have shut up shop in similar scenarios before.

Pleased to see Chandimal in the team, ideally he should be opening instead of the average Tharanga.

Bowlers did well but none of them up to this series looked like decent test bowlers and Pakistan have a history of making nobodies looking invincible.

Pakistan need to stop playing Sami, look at his average selectors!

gabrielconroy

Haha - "...and the songs are very catchy".

The words aren't hurtful, but what's so beastly is that the songs are so damn catchy!

The Duck Man

I was at the ODI on Tuesday - I must say it was marvellous, just as the game was petering out into an easy England win, for Michael Clarke to bring Mitchell Johnson on as a sub and stick him on the boundary.

He was right in front of where I was sat for a number of overs, and the crowd give him a fair bit of stick. Only a few airings of "the song", more calling out "Miiiiiiiiiiiiitchell, Miiiiiiiiiiiitchell", cheers whenever he faced them and boos when he didn't. It didn't seem to trouble him - he gave a pantomime yawn, hand over mouth at one point, and gave them a thumbs up at one point.

There was also an absolutely brutal fist fight in the crowd at the end of the Aussie innings. About five blokes on each side, one had blood pouring down his face.

alcoholic messiah

SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT SHOWDOWN FORM GUIDE

Test figures in matches played from November 2010 to June 2012 inclusive:

England Batting:

Inns
     Runs
        Ave

South Africa Batting:

Inns
     Runs
        Ave

England Bowling:

Overs
   Wkts
       Ave
     Econ
       S/R
   5w
   10w
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

South Africa Bowling:

Overs
   Wkts
       Ave
     Econ
       S/R
   5w
   10w
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Reserve players:
Steven Finn averaged 12 with the bat, and took 24 wickets at an average of 33.04.
Graham Onions took 4 wickets @ 22.00.
Lonwabo Tsotsobe scored 16 runs in 4 innings, and took 7 wickets @ 48.86.
Albie Morkel, Robin Peterson and Thami Tsolekile have only 10 test appearances between them, and none since March 2009.

No major surprises there, with the glaring exception of Kallis' distinctly average bowling figures (a decline that's inversely proportional to his superb recent form with the bat).

rjd2

Dull enough day, Trott and Cook's partnership while important and good wasn't much fun for the neutral. Saffers gave up a little to quickly and seemed rusty which is understandable as none of them have played longer format cricket since March.

England's day obviously, get close to 500 stick them in and see how they do. Alviro is a bully who is in no form, Ab may be tired after his wicket keeping and of course Kallis has an average in England which won't terrify anyone.

I wouldn't want to be relying on the likes of Rudolph and Duminy if they lose early wickets either.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They collapsed a few times with the Broad and Swann duo last time, but it's really in our own hands here, if we set a big score that puts them under pressure, perfect for our bowlers to go to work- clearly being The Oval you'd like to think Swann would play a part.

What I'm worried about is against the West Indies we didn't convert these positions into big scores. South Africa have a much stronger batting lineup and we need to kill the game off first and apply that pressure.

The Duck Man

Quote from: The Duck Man on April 05, 2012, 05:58:40 PM
Wouldn't they make a wonderful celebrity couple?! It's Katy Perry and ...um, Doug Bollinger.

Well, this just took an interesting turn...

QuoteKaty Perry may face legal action in India in relation to a performance back in April.

Lawyer K Jebakumar has filed an indecency complaint against the 'Teenage Dream' singer and Australian cricketer Doug Bollinger over their dance moves on stage at the launch of the Indian Premier League.

Jebakumar claims that Perry and Bollinger offended members of the public with their on-stage antics, while also distracting pupils taking exams, reports The Sun.

He is putting the case forward under the Indian Penal Code, stating that they were acting in an "obscene and lascivious" manner and that they "distracted students who were writing exams at the time".

The pair have not been formally charged and will not have to attend any court hearings, but may do so in the future if his claims are deemed valid.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 19, 2012, 10:31:39 PM
They collapsed a few times with the Broad and Swann duo last time, but it's really in our own hands here, if we set a big score that puts them under pressure, perfect for our bowlers to go to work- clearly being The Oval you'd like to think Swann would play a part.

What I'm worried about is against the West Indies we didn't convert these positions into big scores. South Africa have a much stronger batting lineup and we need to kill the game off first and apply that pressure.

Looks like we might not do that, unless Broad and Prior do a Pakistan and put on 150. However South Africa do have Tahir who is very good, if not for much else, at clearing up an innings. If he could bowl to recognised batsmen they might have a spinner on their hands.

rjd2

Should get 400 or so which means it's still going to be really tough for South Africa to win this despite bowling very well today.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Can't understand why Tahir isn't on- Prior and Swann love the ball coming onto the bat. A couple of 4s and 6s are worth getting the innings over with and keeping the momentum.

rjd2

9 down, useful stuff from England's tail which is probably the best of all the test playing nations.

South Africa will need the likes of Duminy/Philander and Steyn to contribute some runs this series.

rjd2

Bye flat track bully.

Surely he and fellow minnow basher (in tests) Ravi will be abandoned if they fail in this series?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I wouldn't have thought so. We aren't learning from India's situation with number 6's, they were constantly trying to fit someone in there who was above mediocre and didn't manage it, in about 13 years. We should just choose one of Morgan/Bairstow/Bopara and keep playing them a good 10-15 tests solid. After all, the other batsmen were persevered with through lean patches rather than dropped on a whim. And our 80s/90's sides suggest impatience doesn't yield results.

It does put Paul Collingwood's position in the side into perspective- he did a really important job, and even when he wasn't scoring big runs he often shored things up- Bopara, Morgan and Bairstow all look like shaky starters, and not the sort of people willing to dig in.

rjd2

Not the most inspiring of lists sadly, would like to see James Taylor have a go but its not going to happen just yet. Probably best to persist with Ravi as with the India tour next he's the best bet against their spinners.

Love Steyn but at this moment in time Anderson is a better bowler than him.

alcoholic messiah

From 2010 onwards (17 innings in total), Ian Bell's batting average in home tests currently exceeds 100. Assuming he bats in the 2nd innings, he'll need either 85 runs or an unbeaten knock to maintain that record.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

He'll need to wait for Amla and Kallis to bat us to death first.

alcoholic messiah

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on July 21, 2012, 08:57:22 PM
From 2010 onwards (17 innings in total), Ian Bell's batting average in home tests currently exceeds 100. Assuming he bats in the 2nd innings, he'll need either 85 runs or an unbeaten knock to maintain that record.

Bah. At lunch today, when his partnership with Prior was worth 60 runs, I kinda fancied him to tick both those boxes. If he'd scored at anything resembling his usual strike rate, the 220 balls he faced would have comfortably allowed him to extend his streak, and probably would have left him just 3 centuries short of joining Strauss, Pietersen and Cook in the Twenty Test Tons Club.

The freshly concluded match is eerily similar to a previous meeting between these sides which, until today, held the record for the largest disparity in runs per wicket between victors and vanquished[nb]According to Cricinfo's text commentary.[/nb]:

SA runs per wicket: 25.65 (273 + 240 / 20)
ENG runs per wicket: 265.50 (531 / 2)
ENG won by an innings & 18 runs

ENG runs per wicket: 31.25 (385 + 240 / 20)
SA runs per wicket: 318.50 (637 / 2)
SA won by an innings & 12 runs

South Africa's batting display also ranks third on the bestest average runs per wicket of all-time list.

rjd2

Slaughtered.

So many gifts from England's batsmen over the last few days to save this, Bell batterd well but gave it away and the less said about Strauss and white KP the better. Luckily for Ravi their doesn't seem to be many alternatives, Compton maybe?

Only concern for South Africa is the wicket keeping, Ab was poor when Tahir was on, but the other wicket keeper on tour doesn't seem much use with the bat. Its not as if Rudolph or Duminy did much to be dropped!

Quote from: rjd2 on July 23, 2012, 08:12:58 PM
So many gifts from England's batsmen over the last few days to save this, Bell batterd well but gave it away and the less said about Strauss and white KP the better. Luckily for Ravi their doesn't seem to be many alternatives, Compton maybe?

I'm thinking one change, Finn for Bresnan. The batsmen will get another go.

rjd2

http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-new-zealand-2012/engine/current/match/560929.html

Clash of the minnows and all that jazz, decent first innings score for New Zealand, and what must be a first in years, the openers contributed! Guptil normally gives it  away in test cricket but pleased to see him gut it out, he should have got a century though.Nice cameo from Bracewell at the end but Darren Sammy exposed how clueless he can be as captain. Instead of having Roach or Ravi on to play away Bracewell or Martin (last partnership) he elected to bowl himself and Narine. Once Fidel came back the carnage was ended but it was just stupid from Sammy, some would say it was greedy, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Gayle and Powell putting on a good partnership here as i type, 118/0 after 31 overs, not a massive Powell fan but its a superb opportunity to score big on what is a flat pitch especially with Gayle blasting away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZ9zWcsGGI

Dwanye Bravo who really should be playing test cricket has released a pretty dreadful song with some Reggae dude.

The Duck Man

I could only manage a minute of that, but I enjoyed the comical sight of the sexy cricket girls.

Anyway, here's the most expensive over in the history of professional cricket, from the Glos-Sussex T20 the other day. 38 runs: 4+nb (worth 2), 4+nb, 6, 6, 4, 0, 4, 6. And the 0 would have been a leg-side wide if Styris hadn't backed off in an attempt to smear it through cover, while the 4 on ball 5 very nearly went for six.