Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:25:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thank You

Started by Abbie, April 29, 2004, 04:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbie

Forgive me father because I have sinned.

Today, I ventured onto another forum (gasp).  'Oh look, a debating forum' I thought and in I went.  The first half of my day was spent arguing against the ID cards; I have to admit to shamelessly ripping off many of the points raised on our thread here (and sometimes copying word for word).  The attitude on the site in question was the typical "those who have nothing to hide have nothing to worry about" yada yada bollocks.  I noticed that other threads on the board had been locked by over-zealous moderators (all of whom were very pro-ID cards), so I chose my words wisely.  

Satisfied that I had made my point on the ID card issue, I moved on to the next thread entitled "means testing for the poor" and was confronted with this:

QuoteIt annoys me when I hear of people who are poorer who seem to get lots of stuff for free.  I realise that some help should be given to them, but having looked into it in some detail recently, I think far too much is given for nothing.

The current government seems obsessed with giving poor people 'a fair chance'.  Well I'm sorry, but I think they've already had their chance.

When I was at school and uni I worked bloody hard and come out with good qualifications.  Since then I have always worked very hard and put full effort into all that I do and I now earn just enough to get by comfortably.

I know of people I went to school with who never made an effort, have never tried at anything in thier life and yet are able to live reasonable lifes taking all the hand outs avaliable.

If people are poor, it is almost alway for a reason and quite often this is because they don't make enough effort in what they do.  And it's not just about being able to get qualifications.  I had a plasterer in recently who dropped out of school at 16 coz he wasnt good at anything, but he was willing to make and effort and try at something, so he did a plastering course and now ears 70k a year.  There are many, many other 'trades' that are begging for people willing to try to get into it and the money is there.

Am I being too harsh?  Or do other think that the whole means testing thing has gone too far these days?  Should we take all the money from those who work hard to earn it and give it to the poor so that we all have the same?

Discuss!

So what's my point?  Well, I know I can get carried away sometimes and call you all 'bummers' and 'cunts' etcetera, but i've decided it's about time I thanked you all for being such rational, reasonable, intelligent, caring, interesting, funny individuals and for not polluting my eyes with guff similar to the above every time I log on.  Most of you have introduced me to something I wouldn't have known about had I never found CaB, which has broadened my horizons a fair bit I reckon, and I can also bluff my way through most conversations in real life these days thanks to the variety of topics raised on this here site.

Thank you, one and all.

Carry on.

You're welcome Abbie.

oh you didn't mean me? oh right.. yeah, ok.. bye then....

fanny splendid

No problem, any time.

(Although if you worked a little harder, you could have done it all your self, you know. We wont be here forever. One day you'll have to work it out for yourself, instead of bumming of us all the time, oh yes.)

Gazeuse

Say ten Hail Mary's and we'll call it quits.

untitled_london

Quoteanother forum

linky please!

it'd be nice to see how the other half live occasionally. i keep findingin myself in nice places, with decent ppl, who are both eloquent and have proficient reasoning skills to see the situations & events with a degree of persepctive.
(with the exception of the P2P issue, which i have to admit i just don't have the energy (or enough alcohol) to reply to yet)

:P

Krang

No problem. Now we just need to settle the bill.

Santa's Boyfriend

Well, I think that that poster is quite right.  I'm going to post there from now on.

TraceyQ

Who do I hand my keys in to?

Geej

Just leave them at the door, and don't forget, if you are the last one out turn off the lights, lockup and post your keys through the door.

(Some sort of smiley here?)

Nearly Annually

"Another forum" - hehe, I get it.

Where else would you get to cop a feel of Tracey's green legs?

Cunt bummer.

Ooh, I feel like Jerry Maguire.  Who's coming with me?

Abbie

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Ooh, I feel like Jerry Maguire.  Who's coming with me?

You're not going anywhere, sunshine.  They wouldn't put up with your stage-flouncing where i've just come from.  They like people with 'proper' jobs, like doctors, who genuinely need to wear a satchel when they go out to carry things like medicine and needles, instead of a copy of Wuthering Heights and some lippy.

smoker

i caught my brother wearing a satchel last weekend, is this the new "lahndahn fing?"

Quote from: "Abbie made mention of, but not wrote, because it was Emily Bronte what"Wuthering Heights

Do you think they'll let me in at their window?

That's a convoluted and shit-joked way of asking for a link.  Ah wan read this rubbish.

Quote from: "smoker"i caught my brother wearing a satchel last weekend, is this the new "lahndahn fing?"

I bought mine six years ago.  Not that it's a satchel.  It's a big gay handbag, with pockets for nail varnish.

hencole

Quote from: "smoker"i caught my brother wearing a satchel last weekend, is this the new "lahndahn fing?"

It's been a London thang for years and years now. I don't have one as they're to small and I like to carry a large makeup bag. Some of us don't have the natural good looks PLC does.

hands cold, liver warm

I want to thank everyone who has put up stuff in the image archive recently, such as magazine scans and DVD captures.

THANK YOU

SOTS

No problem Abbie.

Was the forum a bit like Digital Spy? It seems there's an endless line of cunts waiting to fuck you off with one little comment on there.

Everyone on there is exactly like that. I don't give a fuck what happens to everyone else because they're not me, and they're not like me. When in comes to the poor, the young, the old, they just don't give a toss as long as it doesn't affect them directly. Wankers.

Emma Raducanu

SOTS young lady, I'm sending you to swearers corner for three days.

Suttonpubcrawl

So what in the name of fuck happened here then?

wherearethespoons

Quote from: Suttonpubcrawl on June 17, 2008, 09:24:23 AM
So what in the name of fuck happened here then?

Basically, I was getting praise heaped on me.

Pie Pie Eater

I was going to start posting on Electrical (http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/) but I made one point against someone else's argument (obviously a well-established poster) and was hounded off as a troll. Oh well.

George Oscar Bluth II

Let's do the timewarp again.

SOTS

Quote from: DolphinFace on June 17, 2008, 04:45:56 AM
SOTS young lady, I'm sending you to swearers corner for three days.

Heh, I didn't realise this was an old thread. I came across it looking at what threads people where reading in the "Who's online?" section.

And I didn't realise I swore quite that much the last time either. Wasn't drunk though.