Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:35:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stone Roses reforming?

Started by aaaaaaaaaargh!, March 17, 2009, 11:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Thought this would never happen really*, but it looks like it might be:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/03/17/madchester-reunited-115875-21204347/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/17/stone-roses-reunion-reported

21 nights during the summer apparently, no mention of whether or not they'll be doing festivals unfortunately - would love to see them, even if they're going to be no good.

*has Ian Brown run out of cash or something do you reckon?

SavageHedgehog

I thought that Mr. Jonathan Squire had "officially" retired from the music business?

Not that I'm bothered mind, as I have no desire to pay to hear Ian Brown sing live.

LadyDay

The cynical side of me thinks this "source" is probably Gareth Evans cheekily trying to cash in on the 20th anniversary by getting column inches for the Roses.

The uncynical pop fan side of me thinks PLEASE GOD NO and is planning to nail planks across John Squire's door to stop him leaving the house.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A few years ago I'd have been really excited about the prospect of them reuniting, but now not so much. Brown's singing isn't nearly as big an issue as his generally twatty presence onstage.

It does seem that on average every six months stories are run which claim that The Stone Roses (or The Smiths) are 'definetly' reforming; only for the stories to be revealed as bullshit by the end of the day.

I suspect that this will be the case again. But then again, knowing my ability to predict things that means they'll be rehearsing in my neighbours garage as we speak - I probably just passed them in the street.

Famous Mortimer

I saw Ian Brown live about x years ago, when his second solo album had just come out, and his live voice wasn't all that bad - certainly not as bad as hundreds of live reviews had me expect.

But, it would just be to make money, as Squire has done jack shit of any value since he left the Roses and Brown appeared quite happy ploughing that UNKLE-shaped furrow. I would pass, almost certainly.

Custard

Not true though in fairness, as apparently Squire is doing well in the art world, with his splashly painting an that.

The only one I can really imagine craving or needing a reunion would be Reni, the only one to completely disappear. No idea what he's up to these days.

The Roofdog

Oh God. If this last barrier falls the Smiths are going to reform aren't they.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shameless on March 17, 2009, 05:30:47 PM
Not true though in fairness, as apparently Squire is doing well in the art world, with his splashly painting an that.

I stand corrected. I'll qualify it to be nothing of musical value.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: The Roofdog on March 17, 2009, 05:47:54 PM
Oh God. If this last barrier falls the Smiths are going to reform aren't they.

No, SPM will never do that as it will simply prove people want that more than another solo tour.

CaledonianGonzo

Ian Brown and John Squire have come forth separately to deny this. 

Pity.

I may be in the minority, but I tend to look quite fondly on only-in-it-for-the-moolah reunions of this nature - and I say that in the knowledge that I will soon be observed playing a massive amount of air guitar in front of a re-tooled Jane's Addiction a mere few months down the road.

Ultravox are back, too.  Bit less excited about that one.

Jemble Fred

It all pales into insignificance in comparison to the Ghostbusters reforming for the 25th anniversary.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 18, 2009, 12:30:55 PM
Ultravox are back, too.  Bit less excited about that one.

They released more good albums than the Roses!

That's a bit of a snide comment. Sorry. But truthfully, I both like the Roses and find their haigography a little baffling. Maybe you had to be there.

Ramses VIII

I doubt that brown would be up for this-but if they did it they should maybe think about recording together again- If they fail to find the old magic they could always record a cover version of the `Rupert The Bear` TV Themetune as their groundbreaking 1st LP always sounded to me like different variations of that tune...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLrMLPHJ7iI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLrMLPHJ7iI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>