Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:13:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Facebook II

Started by purlieu, March 20, 2009, 07:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudi

Yeah, there were a whole bunch when I visited.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: rudi on June 05, 2010, 12:03:43 PM
Yeah, there were a whole bunch when I visited.

And you still punched them?

Ballsy!

rudi

Punching's for kids; I tutted.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: chand on June 05, 2010, 11:46:16 AMHe's deleted a bunch of wall posts since I last posted, some of his most recent ones were along the lines of "they say you can't beat a n**ger, but you can with a stick!" and something about how people should randomly punch n**gers in the street.

Oh, yuck. :-(  Yeah, that's definitely report-worthy, and I would have tipped off his employers before Facebook, so the comments could still be there when his bosses looked.

Quote from: Little Hoover on June 05, 2010, 11:39:32 AM
Why is it so unbelievabe? There's lots of celebs on facebook that don't have a huge number of friends, he probably just turns down most fans that send friend requests.

Except that his summary box says "I will accept as many fans as possible! x :)"

But as I said, it's only been running three days, so that's probably the main reason, that and/or people just not believing it's really him.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Friend request from Ms. Lakia Hutchison. No, no idea who she is. She only has 2 friends. I wonder why it was me out of everyone else in the world. Good choice, but still- odd.

Here's the boring bit when you tell me she's made out of computers by 8 year old Taiwanese hackers.

My younger cousin posted a picture of himself saluting alongside a wax work of Adolf Hitler. Will the youth of Luxembourg ever learn?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 07, 2010, 10:46:47 AM
Friend request from Ms. Lakia Hutchison. No, no idea who she is. She only has 2 friends. I wonder why it was me out of everyone else in the world. Good choice, but still- odd.

Here's the boring bit when you tell me she's made out of computers by 8 year old Taiwanese hackers.

Add her & look at her wall/latest update and you'll probably see that she says she's uploaded a bunch of very naughty pictures to some site that'll want your credit card before you can see the pics.

chand

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 07, 2010, 04:54:26 PM
Add her & look at her wall/latest update and you'll probably see that she says she's uploaded a bunch of very naughty pictures to some site that'll want your credit card before you can see the pics.

Yep, she's a spambot:

Quoteokay im really boooreddd, come see my vids:) http://r-rated-photos-9.info/59545.jpg

Don't click the link, it just redirects to a dating site.

I never get these on Facebook, I get a load that follow me on Twitter and then disappear after a couple of days.

Retinend

some good wandalism just posted on that page

QuoteI've just heard that 30% of Europeans are gay.

fucking polish, coming over here, feeling our knobs.

QuoteJust been laid off from my job in the sweetcorn factory. Apparently they can pay the same amount for 3 foreigners.

fucking Polish, coming over here, peeling our cobs.

QuoteI saw a fuckin polish in asda LOL NO other day, he wuz peeling back the corners of all the children's yoghurts so tey went off.

Fuckin polish, comin over here congealing our yogz

ThickAndCreamy

Facebook have finally gotten rid of the ability to have interests / favourite movies / activities that are not groups now. So everything you write has to be from a group, not from what you want.  So now I can't list my favourite music as Ghanian laughtronica or post-binge (an offshoot of boozecore).

The strengths of facebook seem to be dwindling for me constantly, it's certainly becoming less useful anyway.

purlieu

Yes, it seems to want to get every page linked up to every other page into some sort of database rather than, y'know, letting us put what we like where we like.  I'm a 'fan of' a few musicians on Facebook who are friends and so on, and now I've got them listed in my music section.  It's not exactly representitive of my taste anymore.

El Unicornio, mang

It added stuff that I didn't even list, like 'Michael Jackson', no idea why. And I can't add 'judo' to interests because according to facebook such a thing doesn't exist. I'm really hoping people start going back to myspace soon. I went on there yesterday for the first time in months and it was so much better.

boki

As irritating as FB is becoming, it's still got a way to go before becoming as hideous as Myspace, which still retains the upper hand in terms of browser-crashing.

Lady Beaner

The sight of MySpace gives me ball-ache. And I don't even have any balls.

Shut up, boki.

alan nagsworth

dr beat

QuoteFacebook have finally gotten rid of the ability to have interests / favourite movies / activities that are not groups now. So everything you write has to be from a group, not from what you want.  So now I can't list my favourite music as Ghanian laughtronica or post-binge (an offshoot of boozecore).

This is something which really pissed me off too, as I had my info/interests set up similarly and liked it that way.  However, I've found a way round it by posting all my music/film/TV etc likes in the 'Bio' section which Facebook doesn't seem to touch, and ignoring the other sections.

chand

My cousin now apparently using Facebook to do her parenting, this is her status:

Quotewell charlotte and melissa u best keep ur bedroom tidy ive just gutted it AGAIN there was so much s**t under your beds and dirty clothes MELISSA........yes you melvin all the clothes i raked up from under the bed where all yours..............

PaulTMA

Every single person in my suggested friends in Female, possibly as I'm officially listed as 'Single'!  Good for me!

Captain Crunch

The Duck Man

This site seems to be an aggregator of things that people have "liked" on Facebook. Fairly bleak, although not for typical reasons of racism etc. but more the vast amount of nonsensical things people are willing to publically approve on the internet.

ThickAndCreamy

The endless focus on the inane and truisms on facebook is one of the worst parts of it. It stops it often for me from being a fun time waster to just wasting time. I get bored of friends joining groups such as "I remember when wearing nappies used to be cool" and so forth, I wouldn't care if it didn't take up half of the page.

I now realise the joys of facebook for me have started to almost completely disintegrate and it has solely for me turned into a way of wasting time. but still being bored out of my mind. Gah.

alan nagsworth

http://www.fbpurity.com/

QuoteFluff Busting Purity is a Greasemonkey script that alters your facebook homepage to only show the most relevant information to you.

The script is compatible with Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera running on Windows, Mac or Linux or Apple Safari runing on Mac.

This thing has saved me from certain homicide. Now my friends are quiet, contained and respectable individuals once more! I don't ever have to see them joining groups, liking pages, or find out who has changed their profile pictures ever again! There are so many features to it that you can choose to hide. You could pretty much block everything from your news feed besides status updates if you wanted to.

Jemble Fred

I don't understand – Facebook allows you to do all that anyway. I've just hidden about 20 separate folk today, and it was like the taxi finally arriving for a load of party stragglers an hour after you wanted to go to bed.

Also gets rid of adverts/suggestions and all that shite. It's a Godsend.

boki

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 23, 2010, 05:28:31 AM...my friends are quiet, contained and respectable individuals...

You blocked me??!!!

23 Daves

I found out a couple of days ago that my mother-in-law is the absolute queen of status-blocking on Facebook.  She was having a problem with Facebook, and my wife stepped into help, and was subsequently horrified to see that any status updates posted by either herself or her brother were blocked.  She was a bit shocked and asked why, only for mother-in-law to respond: "Oh, I don't need to see the trivial bits you post up there every other day.  If I want a conversation with you, I can talk to you on the telephone".

Naturally, of course, my wife has spent the last two years phrasing her status updates carefully so her mother can't see things she's not supposed to, only to discover that she has sod all interest anyway.  I've seldom laughed so hard, I can tell you.  And so far as I'm concerned, this gives everyone carte blanche to block whoever the hell they want without feeling too guilty.

The Duck Man

So... what does she use it for? Is it just because it's there? She's like an internet George Mallory, with a similar level of failure.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Jemble Fred on June 23, 2010, 10:22:21 AM
I don't understand – Facebook allows you to do all that anyway. I've just hidden about 20 separate folk today, and it was like the taxi finally arriving for a load of party stragglers an hour after you wanted to go to bed.

No, without FBPurity you can just hide certain people or individual groups so it's only possible to a certain degree. FBPurity allows you to hide every notification on the feed that is about someone joining any groups, liking any inane pages, changing their profile picture (I do this a lot to be fair but I don't expect people to be constantly notified about it) and anything else like that. As Bosto said, it also hides the ads and suggestions on the side of the page so you don't get the annoying "Reconnect with Horatio!" or "Suggest a profile photo for Oswald!"

Quote from: boki on June 23, 2010, 11:17:37 AM
You blocked me??!!!

I would never block you. You are a concentrated beam of sunlight searing my flesh in a world of fog and mud. Also you are bloody hilarious.

23 Daves

Quote from: The Duck Man on June 27, 2010, 01:04:58 AM
So... what does she use it for? Is it just because it's there? She's like an internet George Mallory, with a similar level of failure.

That was more-or-less my wife's response to her, and a long discussion ensued along the lines of "Oh, you know... people's photographs".  She may have a point there, though - I barely know anyone who would actually bother to email photos to their friends now, so you would have to be on the FB photo feed to see people's holiday/ wedding updates.  Thus, she is not deprived the sight of her friend's offspring getting hitched, nor the photos of her buddies crying into their hats.