Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Facebook II

Started by purlieu, March 20, 2009, 07:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vrailaine

Quote from: Still Not George on July 09, 2010, 11:07:00 PM
Bear in mind how many CVs have "listening to music" in the Interests bit.
None? Mine doesn't cos it'd sound shite and a more in depth description would sound cunty.

Although my current one is something like: history, puzzles, reading, computers
...which is probably viewed on as "I don't want to mention films, music and games"

EDIT-I actually had "motives" down on it til I was told to remove it.

hpmons

Quote from: Still Not George on July 09, 2010, 10:44:57 PM
As an aside, I had an almost unbearably awesome idea for a Facebook game the other day. Can't talk about it for obvious reasons, but watch this space.

Previously I had seriously considered creating a game called "Intermittent Reinforcement" in which playes click repeatedly on a large box which releases items after a random number of clicks. Said items could then be shared with other players and collected to gain meaningless achievements with names like "Meaningless Achievement".

Like Anti-Idle The Game? (I am ashamed at how much time Ive spent playing that game...)

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: spanky on July 09, 2010, 11:00:13 PM
Sadly, I'd seen people 'like' it before Facebook converted your interests into fan page form.

It's annoying that facebook did that.  You used to be able to type what you liked in that box, but it's automatically gone through the text and converted some of them to groups (where they exist) and just thrown the rest away.

Still Not George

Quote from: hpmons on July 10, 2010, 09:29:16 PM
Like Anti-Idle The Game? (I am ashamed at how much time Ive spent playing that game...)

Kind of, yes, but more specifically aimed at Farmville and similar shite.

Dusty Gozongas

chand

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 10, 2010, 11:53:53 PM
It's annoying that facebook did that.  You used to be able to type what you liked in that box, but it's automatically gone through the text and converted some of them to groups (where they exist) and just thrown the rest away.

It actually asked me if I wanted to do it, and stupidly I clicked yes, not remembering what bands and stuff were in my likes. It didn't recognise half the bands in my list and it had trouble with hyphens for some reason, so instead of being a fan of Iowa noise-rockers Raccoo-oo-oon I am now a fan of "Racoon" and "Oon". Jackie-O Motherfucker became "Jackie" and "O Motherfucker" and it tried to turn several descriptive phrases into band names. Not only that, from somewhere it got the phrase "Rock music", so I now like "rock music", and not only that but I get amusingly pointless recommendations like "Hip-hop: many people who like Rock Music also like this".

dr beat

QuoteIt's annoying that facebook did that.  You used to be able to type what you liked in that box, but it's automatically gone through the text and converted some of them to groups (where they exist) and just thrown the rest away.

It actually asked me if I wanted to do it, and stupidly I clicked yes, not remembering what bands and stuff were in my likes. It didn't recognise half the bands in my list and it had trouble with hyphens for some reason, so instead of being a fan of Iowa noise-rockers Raccoo-oo-oon I am now a fan of "Racoon" and "Oon". Jackie-O Motherfucker became "Jackie" and "O Motherfucker" and it tried to turn several descriptive phrases into band names. Not only that, from somewhere it got the phrase "Rock music", so I now like "rock music", and not only that but I get amusingly pointless recommendations like "Hip-hop: many people who like Rock Music also like this".

Might have mentioned this before, but I got round this by copying and pasting all the stuff from the old 'Likes' section into the new 'About Me' section. 

Still Not George

phes

does anyone else find that purity doesn't work all the time? 

Fry

QuoteLady A  If anyone sees Tim can you please remind him he does have a son. Who is unwell.
about an hour ago

Lady B whats happend bubss?
xxx

'Lady A' Bailey is not well. He was ment to come see him so he turns his phone off! He can never be bothered to see his own son tells his mates we aint together and he hates me yet tells me the opposite.

'Lady B' omg, what an actual din!

Just made me laugh, calling someone the equivalent of a "silly billy" for being really quite horrible.

hpmons

The only religious person I have on my Facebook, she is very sweet but calling God "awesome" and "amazing" just seems amusing.

Sounds like the housemate just had an eating disorder and has been...temporarily cured.

Treguard of Dunshelm

That's actually a bit worrying, cos lots of people who are "cured" by faith healing only have the symptoms suppressed temporarily...they usually come back after a short while, and anyway, the underlying condition hasn't gone away, just the symptoms. Could be quite dangerous if she has a severe reaction to something she eats.

Still Not George

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on July 13, 2010, 03:54:28 PM
That's actually a bit worrying, cos lots of people who are "cured" by faith healing only have the symptoms suppressed temporarily...they usually come back after a short while, and anyway, the underlying condition hasn't gone away, just the symptoms. Could be quite dangerous if she has a severe reaction to something she eats.

Apparently, eating the things she was "intolerant" to "made her ill and made her brain slow down". In other words, psychological symptoms. She's been "cured" of something she never had in the first place.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: phes on July 11, 2010, 05:25:49 PM
does anyone else find that purity doesn't work all the time? 

Yeah, because Facebook has such a pathetically short attention span, meaning the scripts that FB Purity works to override are subject to change during Facebook's little transitional periods (like that recent one where they changed the homepage status update field to limit your output to just text or photos, and then within a week realised they were idiots and changed it back), and so Purity needs to update its Greasemonkey script in oder to stay on top of the site.

It's worth 'liking' the FB Purity page on Facebook itself so that you receive its feed like you would for bands you like, and suchforth, so that you know when it's updated and when to download the latest version. Failing that, check the official site and keep on top of it that way. It can be a bit of a pain when Facebook updates its scripts sometimes three or four times in a week, but compared to the amount of bile that spouts up in your news feeds, it's worth keeping on top of.

phes

Yep, I've since worked this out. I'll just check the script for updates regularly and keep on top of it, because as you say it is worth it. The wordblock is a real gem - no more posts about the cute things friends pets or offspring do every day.