Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:10:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Politics of Downloading

Started by Johnny Townmouse, March 24, 2009, 10:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Talulah, really!

Of course the whole Nuremberg as rock concert forms the backbone of "Pink Floyd the Wall", equally on "Wish you were here" they certainly had plenty to say about the subject of the music business and this "alienation" stuff but being a little known cult act no one paid any attention to them so instead...

I'd like to put forward the controversial (and indeed silly) theory that in fact the honour of inventing the modern rock tour belongs to that other great mass-murdering dictator Mao Zedong with his "Long March" tour of China.

Hey, hey, we're the Mao Zedongs,
You never know where we'll be found.
so you'd better get ready,
We may be comin' to your town.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 16, 2009, 07:25:56 PM
Lets have a YouTube break:

Fair Enough.

Holger Czukay - Der Osten Ist Rot (the east is red)

Dusty Gozongas

Czukay can never do any wrong. slight pun there btw.

And now, thanks to the being reminded, I shall download the fuck out of Czukay's online contents in order to make him a poor man. I encourage everybody else to join me so that he may be poor. But quicker than if it was only me doing it.

jutl

Quote from: Dusty Gozongas on December 16, 2009, 11:45:34 PM
Czukay can never do any wrong. slight pun there btw.

And now, thanks to the being reminded, I shall download the fuck out of Czukay's online contents in order to make him a poor man. I encourage everybody else to join me so that he may be poor. But quicker than if it was only me doing it.

You're not making him any poorer, you're just saying that you like his work and it's worth no money. In the end it's a self-made comment on your own taste, more than anything.

Dusty Gozongas

Only joking. or was I?

Nah, actually, most of the Czukay/Can mp3s I have are of tracks I've already paid for on vinyl or CD. Sometimes both.

Sovereign

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8471290.stm

Head of major label group accuses piracy of killing local music.

NoSleep

Lfbarfe

John Kennedy's an interesting chap. When he was a lawyer, his firm represented an independent producer who had an artist and a track in which PolyGram were interested. It's a pretty involved story, but the long and the short of it is that PolyGram got the artist and track (which got to number 1), Kennedy's client got nothing, and, midway through the legal tussle, Kennedy left his legal firm to head up PolyGram. All an unfortunate coincidence, obviously. The independent producer in question can't help but laugh when Kennedy gets all pious about 'copyright theft', though.

23 Daves

Quote from: Lfbarfe on January 21, 2010, 06:02:57 PM
John Kennedy's an interesting chap. When he was a lawyer, his firm represented an independent producer who had an artist and a track in which PolyGram were interested. It's a pretty involved story, but the long and the short of it is that PolyGram got the artist and track (which got to number 1), Kennedy's client got nothing, and, midway through the legal tussle, Kennedy left his legal firm to head up PolyGram. All an unfortunate coincidence, obviously. The independent producer in question can't help but laugh when Kennedy gets all pious about 'copyright theft', though.

Weren't backing tracks from flop (or unreleased) songs also plundered from the archives and 'redeveloped' into new songs on a number of occasions back in those days?  I've heard a lot of anecdotal talk about this, but nobody's ever been prepared to name actual cases in the press or in any of the books I've read.

An interesting case has actually come to light on my blog (not that I'm plugging it) here: http://left-and-to-the-back.blogspot.com/2009/06/plague-looking-for-sun-bw-here-today.html

It would seem that a band who refused to sign to Decca still had one single released by Decca anyway, but were simply never told about it.  Compilation editors have been trawling the Decca archives for years trying to find out who they were, only to find complete blanks.  All this presumes that I'm not being wound up, or that the person isn't remembering events from 42 years ago wrongly, of course.  Or that their manager didn't sneakily sign something away.  I don't know if we'll ever get to the bottom of this one. 

Lfbarfe

That's a really interesting case, Dave. I'd be interested to know who produced their Decca sessions.

23 Daves

Quote from: Lfbarfe on January 21, 2010, 10:53:11 PM
That's a really interesting case, Dave. I'd be interested to know who produced their Decca sessions.

Yes, I really hope we find out more, although whenever I do ask people to get in touch with me or respond with more information, they invariably don't. 

I'm also reminded of the old Maurice Gibb "Have You Heard The Word" saga which is documented here:  http://www.jpgr.co.uk/fut.html

Beacon were distributed by EMI for quite some time, so weren't some cut-and-run bedroom indie (although there's no question they weren't a high-faluting outfit either).  It just seems that when it came to ownership of masters and copyright, there were some very liberal interpretations of the rules going on back then.  The fact that an illicit Bee Gees recording was issued under another name on a label which had released hits before, and nothing was done about it, seems insane now. 

Lfbarfe

Going to be covering the Digital Economy Bill debate live on CaB Radio tonight.

Uncle TechTip

Second reading was last night, what happens tonight?

It was quite interesting actually, Tom Watson introduced the House to the concept of artificial scarcity, remixing, and even drew attention to the copyright infringement within that Gene Hunt poster, of course that's fair use. And whaddayaknow, John Redwood put up a spirited attack against this faulty legislation.

But 95% of MPs were not present and I don't think there's anything we can do now, except bone up on VPNs.

Lfbarfe

Debate starts about 8.30pm, so I'll go on early and will be taking Skype calls.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 07, 2010, 05:33:54 PM
But 95% of MPs were not present and I don't think there's anything we can do now, except bone up on VPNs.

To be fair (nnngggg, I know), a maximum of twenty MPs can actually ask question, so any others would have to just sit there. Many of them do watch the proceedings on a telly elsewhere - quite possibly from the bar, which is how I'd do it.

(Removed by request. Neil)

NoSleep

I think there have been similar letters sent to others on here before (check back in this thread, even).

Don't reply and nothing will happen. It's just a letter from a solicitor, not a court order. Chancers.