Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:45:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spice Girls around Forever?

Started by european son, April 30, 2004, 01:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpants

No, I think your name is just about right...  ;-)

Utter Shit

Quote from: "mrpants"No, I think your name is just about right...  ;-)
Yah, boo, sucks to you. Et cetera.

Frinky

Oh, and then there was the Spice Girls Movie. That counters pretty highly against them.

mayer

Quote from: "Auntie Ovipositor"
Quote from: "mayer"yeah, Wannabe was one of the most important hits of the 90s, but pop's moved on leaps and bounds since then.

"Important"?

You're joking, right? I assume that was just a bad choice of adjectives.

no, i'm being serious. i never liked the song, i still don't. when it came out i really hated it and had to use my copy of Definitely Maybe as some sort of shield.

but important? god yes. between Take That and the Spice Girls there was countless broadsheet articles claiming that the age of the manufactured boy band was over, its last few remnants kicking about, but that the massive success of groups like Bros/E17/TT was long gone.

we knew that was rubbish, the writers, deadline pending, probably knew it too, but with a neat gender-switch and "Wannabe" the Spice GIrls confirmed it. they also were the first massive "girl group" of that type, when all before it had been thought that to attract the young girls you needed unthreatening boys. the success of Girls Aloud over the wimpy One True Voice was more evidence for this.

the tune, of course, was gash. i didn't mean it those notes and lyrics were important, but yes, the song had massive cultural importance.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Frinky"Oh, and then there was the Spice Girls Movie. That counters pretty highly against them.

Oddly, I've got a friend who saw this again quite recently and said that it already seems like a very kitsch, unintentionally hilarious item.  God knows how it will seem in ten years' time if that's true.

23 Daves

Quote from: "mwude"
Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Victoria Beckham can probably still get to number one with a combination of hype & a massive budget, but the rest?

I also wouldn't bank on that anymore...  her record company has just gone bankrupt (I wonder why?).  I also can't imagine anyone else stupid enough to sign her and spend millions on her, since her albums and singles are hardly the stuff even fickle pop legend is made of, sales-wise or otherwise.

kidsick5000

Face it kids. As a fivesome, the Spice Girls were as close a phenomenon to the beatles as we shall see for a long time.

Before any of you go mental and cry infedel. Im talking about a popular phenomenon (and yes, that may not be spelt right) NOT a musical wonder.

They were popular all over the world, and to be honest its a real shame that Mel B got her way and ruined everything.

They were harmless. and with the occasional fun tune. They shouldve been huge beyond belief. But thats what you get for putting your band together from fame school strangers.

thomasina

Quote from: "23 Daves"
Quote from: "Frinky"Oh, and then there was the Spice Girls Movie. That counters pretty highly against them.

Oddly, I've got a friend who saw this again quite recently and said that it already seems like a very kitsch, unintentionally hilarious item.  God knows how it will seem in ten years' time if that's true.
I saw it when it came out (in my defence i have to say that I went with my daughter, who was very young and desperately wanted to see it).  Even then, it wasn't half as bad as I expected.

Frinky

I'm stunned by the responces!

Maybe I will have to watch it again... hopefully now not being 16, I won't be, erm, distracted by Emma.

Sweet Emma.