Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:02:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"6/10", "It's Comedy With L - plates" - David Davis Reviews The Day Today

Started by Retinend, April 24, 2009, 04:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Quote from: Retinend on April 27, 2009, 12:42:45 AM
Here's the Havers/ Smiths clip for download/stream (ignorance any firefox warning - the site's fine)

click: http://www.freewebtown.com/crustclock/haversonsmiths.mp3

Actually, you have to copy and paste:

http://www.freewebtown.com/crustclock/haversonsmiths.mp3

Quote from: gloria on May 01, 2009, 01:58:49 PMI've a feeling Brigstocke knew this was bullshit when he said it but did so for a cheap laugh.  Never underestimate a comedian's ability to discard reason or mock something laudable in the scrabble for an easy audience-pleasing joke.  The alternative would be to have a sensible conversation about a subject they care about and that's more than a lot of comedians can handle when they're on stage.

If only comedians weren't constantly obliged to crack wise, the general tone of media discourse might be rather healthier. (cf Brigstocke's occasionally-quite-good rants on the Now Show)

Quote from: Parkin on April 25, 2009, 06:36:46 PMAt the other extreme, you can't really expect Jonathan Pryce to give you 25 minutes of constistently high-level riffing

Well, no, you can't. But just me who thought Pryce was great?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Eis Nein

Whenever I hear this smug twonk's name I imagine it to the tune of The Fall's 'Choc-stock'.

"Brigstocke-ah, Marcus Brigstocke"

The "Why are you laughing" line is particularly apposite.

neveragain

Quote from: Retinend on May 01, 2009, 12:41:45 PM
McGrath might be useless, and as good as Faulty Towers is, I didn't actually find anything particularly uninformed or wrong about what he said. He just had no appreciation for the slapstick or (admittedly antiquated) Teuton-bashing.

He clearly had only watched the two episodes discussed, to the degree of getting characters' names wrong and suggesting Mrs Richards was a regular character. Also, how one can say there is only one joke in The Germans is mystifiable when that episode also contains the fire drill scene and The Major's racism dialogue, on top of Basil's mad ramblings upon walking into the hotel, the moose head, his insults towards the nurse and everything else contained therein. On from that, to say there is only one joke in the entire series... it's wrong, incorrect.

Retinend