Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:18:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Time Trumpet - DVD edits

Started by 13 schoolyards, April 30, 2009, 09:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

13 schoolyards

So, having purchased the Time Trumpet DVD and promptly doing a double take thinking I'd clearly just spent money on a dodgy pirate copy - but no, it's just very, very cheaply packaged design-wise and contains no extras whatsoever - I noticed a couple of things:

a): While the DVD is copyright 2009, the packaging is 2008 (unlike The Thick of It Specials, which I bought at the same time and have a copyright of 2009 for both), which suggests it might have been sitting on the shelf for a while before release.

b): The back cover also contains the dreaded line "due to contractual reasons, certain edits have been made".  I don't have my copy of the original handy to check against, but I'm guessing (wildly, mind you) that these cuts are in eps 4 & 5, as all the other eps are around 28m20sec while those two are closer to 26m30sec (ep 4) and 27m30sec (ep 5).  So... anyone have any idea what might have been cut?

glitch

Wasn't 4 or 5 the terrorism episode that got held back by a week or so?

benjula

fuck sake, not even 2004 the stupid version included, £20 in HMV too, ridiculous.

2pintz

Just noticed that the BBFC are listing that there are Easter Eggs on the disc.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/FF2E3B47C9B19A3B80257584003E06EC?OpenDocument

Haven't got it myself yet but anyone know anything more about these/found them yet?

Tiny Poster

Anyone notice that Roger Drew and Will Smith are credited as the two main writers on the disc? Explains a lot, that.

Lfbarfe

Well, I seem to recall saying that it was missold at the time. It got publicised as Armando Iannucci's Time Trumpet (Was it titled as such on the shows? Can't remember and my off-airs are downstairs), presumably to maximise the ratings, but it was Drew and Smith's series, shepherded through by Iannucci. As an Iannucci series it was poor, but as Drew and Smith's first network TV outing, it has to be viewed in a different light - shows promise, etc.

13 schoolyards

Easter egg-wise, it turns out they're easy to find - pushing up on the main menu screen will get you the first two, and pushing up on the episode select menu gets you the third.  The two on the main menu are a two minute clip of a home renovation show with a twist at the end, and a whole five uncut minutes of the home bacon network (though I stopped after the first few seconds, so there could be other footage there -doubtful from what I saw, mind).  The one on the episode screen is four and a bit minutes showing how they put together the green-screen effects from a couple of segments.  All interesting enough, but nothing amazingly special.

I think the fact Iannucci does the voice over throughout probably helped people think he had a bigger role than he may have had in the writing.  The interview segments to me always felt largely improvised between Iannucci and the guests as well.

A.A

I seem to like this show a lot more than most on here.

I prefer pretty much everything else Iannucci's ever done, but I liked this plenty all the same.

Inside-out Charlotte Church makes me laugh for some reason or another. As did Tim Henman.

And at least I can tolerate Ayoade in this, as opposed to his work in The IT Crowd which is just unbearable...although, that could possibly be said about the entire show itself.