Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:21:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker loopy, nuts are we

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, May 01, 2004, 12:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snooker is...

Pot Black
29 (72.5%)
Load of Crap
11 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: May 31, 2004, 12:12:42 AM

weekender

Quote from: "thomasina"I never watch sport on TV as a matter of principle.

What sort of shit principle is that?  That's like saying "Oh, I don't touch glass as a matter of principle" - which sounds like a fucking pretentious wanker thing to say.  Justify yourself further please.  Thanks.

thomasina

Quote from: "weekender"
Quote from: "thomasina"I never watch sport on TV as a matter of principle.

What sort of shit principle is that?  That's like saying "Oh, I don't touch glass as a matter of principle" - which sounds like a fucking pretentious wanker thing to say.  Justify yourself further please.  Thanks.
Its a long story.  I was married for a long time, you see. I was moderately interested in some sports before that, but several years of having anything i was doing doing interrupted by 'Watch this replay! look, he missed a fucking sitter!' and 'Well he should have played for safety there' help to provoke a reactionary shudder when any sport is shown on TV.  I still enjoy the novelty of not knowing anything about any sporting event.  So its not a universal principle, by any means, just a special one for me.

mwude

Tapping the table when your opponent plays a decent safety shot.  The raised hand to apologise for a fluke.  Is there any sport out there where the two competitors have such a degree of respect for each other and sense of fair play?  It's marvellous to see.  

If only footballers would hold their hand up in apology if they've fluked a goal off their arse, or if rugby players applauded the other team if they scored a nice try.  The world would be a better place if everyone treated it like a snooker match.

I'm predicting one of the least competitive finals ever.  I like Dott, he's got a hilariously high-pitched voice & I have got a mental picture in my head of him going "eeh! eeh! eeh!" like a little mouse when he was smashing up his cue.  But if O'Sullivan plays at about 50% he's still going to trounce the poor squeaky bastard.  If Dott gets more than 6 frames I'll be surprised.

gazzyk1ns

Hehe he's just won the first 4...

Purple Tentacle

I know a certain Tentacle who's looking forward to a spending spree on tuesday....

This is fantastic! Still can't imagine him keeping it up though.

weekender

5-0 to Dott.  I bet that chap who's got 50,000 to 1 for an 18-0 Dott victory is shaking with nerves like an electrocuted leper.

imitationleather

Well, it's 5-3 now innit. Ah well, another dream over etc.

This has been much better than I was expecting, Dott playing better than ever and O'Sullivan really getting back on form in the last few frames. Oh yeah, this is shaping up to be a classic.

Evening session's about to start...

gazzyk1ns

Oof, Dott missed that red which he certainly shouldn't have... and now it's all even at 6 all. You've got to favour Ronnie again now although Dott did stay ahead of Stevens when pushed...

imitationleather

I hope Dott doesn't fall to pieces now that it's all level again, although I doubt he will. He's got backbone, that boy.

Jesus, how old is Alex Higgins? He looks older and iller than my grandad...

Bah! It was the best value bet I have ever seen. Never mind.
Outrageous odds!

I still have Ronnie  to win 18-17 at 20`s
only £1 though.

Back  

Blue Square - BET DETAILS  

SELECTION(S)
Event info: R.O'Sullivan v G.Dott  
 Embassy World Championship  
 15:08 02/05/2004  
Market: Frame Betting  
Selection: R.O'Sullivan 18-17 @ 20/1 Not Settled To Win  

RECEIPT(S)
Receipt No: O/0739933/0000022
Placed At: 22:34 01/05/2004
Bet Type: Single
Stake per line: £1.00
Number of lines: 1
Stake: £1.00
Tax: £0.00
Tax rate: 0.00%

SELECTION(S)
Event info: R.O'Sullivan v G.Dott  
 Embassy World Championship  
 15:08 02/05/2004  
Market: Frame Betting  
Selection: G.Dott 18-0 @ 50000/1 Not Settled To Win  

RECEIPT(S)
Receipt No: O/0739933/0000021
Placed At: 22:34 01/05/2004
Bet Type: Single
Stake per line: £1.00
Number of lines: 1
Stake: £1.00
Tax: £0.00
Tax rate: 0.00%

Never mind .
piss!

mwude

Quote from: "mwude"But if O'Sullivan plays at about 50% he's still going to trounce the poor squeaky bastard.  If Dott gets more than 6 frames I'll be surprised.

Blimey!  How wrong can you be?  I'm hoping I get proved wronger & wronger because this could be shaping up to be a cracking final.  Nuff respec to the tiny scottish mouse man.

Purple Tentacle

Bah, there's £5 I'll never see again!

imitationleather

Now here's another game we can play...

What unscheduled programmes do you think BBC2 is going to show in place of the snooker now?

weekender

They'll just put that Alex Higgins clip on repeat for a few hours.

Purple Tentacle

Adam Hart-Davies takes us from the primordial soup through to the implosion of the universe.

gazzyk1ns

Just some film I've never heard of. Porridge and some kind of related program are on after though, they were scheduled I assume?

Ronnie did deserve to win, but it was sad that Dott only won one frame today - that's not really representative of how he played.

mwude

Mystic Mwude strikes again!  Yesterday I predict a whitewash & it's really close over the two sessions.  Today I predict a tight, interesting final & Ronnie wins 10 out of 11 frames.  I should be a pundit with accurate guesses like that.

Graeme Dott went up even further in my estimation when he offered the streaker some chalk.  It's a shame he didn't make more of a game of it.  If only I'd put a bet on Ronnie mentioning his dad in the post-match interview.  Still, I'd have got very crap odds on that.

I recently read an interview in a friend's copy of Loaded with Alex Higgins.  In it, he managed to produce the quote of the decade:

QuoteI've made a lot of mistakes, but at least I'm not Stephen Hendry.

Heh, couldn't have said it better myself.

I used to love the snooker when I was younger.  I used to watch the final of the World Championship in the bedroom I shared with my brother on a black and white telly, keeping the contrast low because we were supposed to be sleeping.  I remember one of the years Steve Davis won it, we were urging him to put the trophy on his head to look like a dillock, and he promptly obliged, which was a hilarious joke when you're about ten.

Doesn't seem the same now it's not all brown backgrounds and a pub feel.  Players like Bill Wuerbenick - the fat Canadian who had to drink copious ales and stuff betablockers down his neck to calm his nerves - are greatly missed.