Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

XTC

Started by Ghost of Troubled Joe, May 01, 2004, 01:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Quote from: "23 Daves"The XTC "Song Stories" book is really good at highlighting specific influences, so I'll have to have another look at it when I get home tonight.  In general, though, I seem to remember that "25 O Clock" was a pastiche of the Electric Prunes "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night", "Have You Seen Jackie?" of "Arnold Layne" (although frankly, unless you were told you'd never realise it - only the lyrics give the game away) and "Vanishing Girl" was meant to have a Hollies/ Byrdsy feel.  The Smoke's "My Friend Jack" comes in there somewhere as well.

Here's the ones that I remember (off the top of my head)...

25 O'Clock - The Electric Prunes 'I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night'

Bike Ride to the Moon - Pink Floyd 'Bike', Tomorrow 'My White Bicycle', The Move In General

My Love Explodes - erm...?

What in the World??... - The Beatles 'Only A Northern Song', Zager & Evans 'In The Year 2525'

Your Gold Dress - The Smoke 'My Friend Jack', psychedelic-era Rolling Stones in general

The Mole From the Ministry - The Beatles 'I Am The Walrus' and loads of others (I personally reckon The Moles' 'We Are The Moles' was an influence too)

Vanishing Girl - can't remember this one; as far as I'm concerned there's a fair smattering of 'psychedelic' Hollies/Herman's Hermits etc in there

Have You Seen Jackie? - Pink Floyd 'Arnold Layne', The Who 'I'm A Boy'

Little Lighthouse - some Steve Miller Band track I can't remember the name of

You're a Good Man, Albert Brown (Curse You Red Barrel) - Kinks/Small Faces/Who in general

Collideascope - um...?

You're My Drug - The Byrds in general

Shiny Cage - The Beatles 'I'm Only Sleeping'

Brainiac's Daughter - jolly upbeat Paul McCartney stuff in general

The Affiliated - hmmmm...?

Pale and Precious - Brian Wilson in general

Darrell

Vanishing Girl is the Hollies' 'Bus Stop', isn't it?

Brainiac's Daughter I took to draw mainly from 'Hello Goodbye' (the arrangement and rhythm), 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' (the production), 'Lovely Rita' (the lyrics), and 'Martha My Dear' (the vocal delivery).

There's a bit of Bonzos (and 'I'm The Urban Spaceman' particularly come to think of it) in Albert Brown too.

The video to Mole From The Ministry is mainly the Bonzos' 'Equestrian Statue' Pathé promo, right down to the austere voiceover at the start. I'd also argue there's more of 'Piggy In The Middle' than 'I Am The Walrus' to the visuals too!

23 Daves

"Collideascope" was supposed to be "Instant Karma" era solo John Lennon, wasn't it?

And yes, TJ, I'd agree that there's more than a bit of The Moles "We are the Moles" about "Mole From the Ministry".

I'll have a look at the book when I get in tonight, but I think you've nailed most of the reference points.

23 Daves

RIght... according to "Song Stories", the references are as follows:

"25 O Clock":  Chambers Brothers "Time Has Come Today", early tracks by Man, The Electric Prunes "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night", Tomorrow's "My White Bicycle"

'Bike Ride To the Moon':  Pink Floyd's "Bike", The Move's "I Can Hear The Grass Grow"

"My Love Explodes": The Yardbirds "Over, Under, Sideways, Down"

"What In The World?": Beatles "All Too Much", Manfred Mann "Semi Detached Suburban Mister James"

"Your Gold Dress": Nicky Hopkins piano playing on Rolling Stones "She's A Rainbow", The Beatles "Strawberry Fields Forever".

"The Mole From The Ministry": any Beatles, and the sayings of Benjamin Franklin.

"Vanishing GIrl": The Hollies "On A Carousel" or "King MIdas in Reverse".

"Have You Seen Jackie?": anything by Keith West and Tomorrow, and "Arnold Layne".

"Little Lighthouse": Electric Prunes, Grateful Dead, Blues Magoos, Quicksilver Messenger Service, contents of CBS Sampler The Rock Machine Turns You On.

"You're a Good Man Albert Brown": The Kinks, The Small Faces

"Collideascope": The Turtles "Sound Asleep", John Lennon, "possibly" The Move's "Blackberry Way".

"You're My Drug": The Byrds.

"Shiny Cage": The Beatles: "I'm Only Sleeping"

"Brainiac's Daughter": The Beatles "Martha My Dear", "Penny Lane", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Good Day Sunshine".

"The Affiliated": Jack Jones "WIves and Lovers", Unit Four Plus Two.

"Pale and Precious": The Beach Boys.

I can't quite hear some of these comparisons myself, but there you go... they're all from the horses mouths, as it were.

Darrell

Stop the presses!

Fuzzy Warbles 7, 8 and 'Hinges' (volume 9 by any other name) are out!

nuttyxander

A dual or more purpose bump...

Firstly, I've cracked and now have a copy of The Fuzzy Warbles Collectors Album and really like it. I was finding it a little hard to get into fully until I came accross these rather cool podcasts in which Andy Partridge talks through the lot rather nicely.

Secondly, I accidentally stumbled on this rather nice set of more muso-y reference notes for The Dukes.

Besides Song Stories (which I devoured in a few hours) are there any other good books on XTC?

Sadness

Quote from: "nuttyxander"Besides Song Stories (which I devoured in a few hours) are there any other good books on XTC?

Chris Twomey's "Chalkhills and Children".

Essential.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XTC-Chalkhills-Children-Chris-Twomey/dp/0711991057

kaprisky

Andy Partridge interview on WFMU from last month, starts about 18 minutes in and lasts for about 20 minutes, taking in compression chambers, his record label, the state of modern music and his valium addiction....

Yeah.  I have chalkhills and children too.  Must get around to reading it sometime.

As for the Fuzzy Warbles, I only have three of them so far.  I can't justify the cash to pick up the box set, so I'll probably just hold out longer until the ones I don't have turn up cheaply somewhere.

Ciarán2

Andy Partridge has been talking about how "XTC are well and truly in the fridge", and how he's lost touch with Colin Moulding. It'd be a terrible shame if "Apple Box" ("Apple Venus Vol 1 and Wasp Star Vol. 2") turn out to be the last XTC releases. But Partridge has this collaborative effort with Terry Chambers coming out under the same Monstrance.

Anyway, just thought I'd shed a public tear for the possible passing of XTC.

A total shame.  I'd always hoped that I'd have 'Where Do The Ordinary People Go', 'Spiral' and 'Say It' in some more traditional form than mp3 someday.

Sadness

Well trotters, you can have "Spiral" and "Say It" (I'm on that one!!) as part of the "Apple venus" 7-inch vinyl singles box-set here : http://www.xtcidearecords.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Limited_Edition_Vinyl_Pressings_3.html

XTC will be fine by the way, trust me. Whether solo or together, there will be more and sure I'll have a few Andy co-writes on my next Pugwash record out later this year if yiz' get all impatient like.....

Cheers.

And you are so lucky!!!  Please lick Andy's arse for me because I really would given the chance.