Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:57:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wimblemong 2009 - Sign up here.

Started by DocDaneeka, June 21, 2009, 01:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An tSaoi

Quote from: Lookalike Mark Chapman on June 23, 2009, 11:38:04 AM
Has anyone else noticed how 'Wimblemong' sounds a little bit like 'Wimbledon'?

My mind = BLOWN

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on June 23, 2009, 10:31:52 AMif we set a deadline of tomorrow evening for entering. I'll do a randomised draw on that night (assuming I'm well enough - endoscopy day today!) and we start on thursday.

so everyone enter forthwith. I'm looking at you Mr Cardinal Tit Storm

I'll be away until Monday, so there will be a delay if I have to serve. If that's okay you can count me in (although I would rather have sat this one out - damn you for calling me out Ziggy!).

Viero_Berlotti

It'd be like Federer not competing in Wimbledon it Tit Storm sat this year's out.

always sober

I have little better to do and would like to play please.

ziggy starbucks

Can't believe I've been dragged into this

the list so far

DocDaneeka
Lee Van Cleef
Cerys
Viero_Berlotti
ziggy starbucks
Clone Army
The Region Legion
chocky909
Gmoney
Kishi
Joeyzaza
Delete
Baxter
Miles
Lee
Fry
Old Thrashbarg
An tSaoi
Jutl
Micanio
Vitalstatistix
Neil
8TT
no_offenc
Lookalike Mark Chapman
Cardinal Tit Storm (good man)
always sober

and somebody else decide whether dreaded notbbcer Phil_A should be in or not

Quote from: Phil_AI'm in!

I will be away for a couple of weeks in July, though. Is this going to be a problem?

I'm expecting another year of dominance by the big three - miles, jutl and cardinal tit storm

and if anyone has any problems with the rules, last year game set up by God Derek Trucks should explain everything very clearly http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=18682.msg920825#msg920825

I have zero interest in monitoring every bloody game so I won't be. Players should be able to sort themselves out regarding playing shots on time, counting votes etc. I have a wife to look for and I have no time for such frippery. I will find her soon and happiness will follow.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

I should probably remain neutral in all this, but if ziggy wins again he'll have no shortage of wives, and I shall be first in the queue.

An tSaoi

So when does it start, because it looks like I may - just may - be away from Thurdsay to next Wednesday. Maybe.

alan nagsworth

EDIT: Just me trying to make excuses for not competing, when in reality I would happily drop everything in a vague attempt to compete again this year.

COUNT ME IN FOR THE FIGHT

joeyzaza

By my count that's 29 entrants so far, close to the nice round knockout tournament number of 32. If we exceed it, there'd need to be another round, so should we cap this year's number of entrants at 32 i.e. only the next 3 people to sign up are in? If we're still short by this evening, we'd only need to give a maximum of 3 people a bye into the next round.

Is the whole draw usually done at the start i.e. do you get to know who you'll be potentially facing in subsequent rounds? If so, it means you could potentially do some tactical voting to try and make your own path to glory easier. Would that be desirable? I say yes.

Before it starts, it might also be a good idea to lay down some guidelines for what to do if you know you're going to be absent for part of the competition e.g. the minimum notice period that must be given, and the maximum amount of time extension that can be granted.

If we don't have rules, it'll just be ANARCHY LOL.

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: joeyzaza on June 24, 2009, 12:57:10 PM
Before it starts, it might also be a good idea for me to lay down some guidelines for what to do if you know you're going to be absent for part of the competition e.g. the minimum notice period that must be given, and the maximum amount of time extension that can be granted.

go on then

I'll make the draw* this evening some time. As joey points out 3 people will get byes unless more people enter

*using a super high tech Excel random number generator

Little Hoover

I'm almost tempted to say I'll enter, just to make up the numbers, although all I have is ms paint, and If I downloaded some photoshop thing, I probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it, so whoever drew me might as well have a bye anyway. so it doesn't seem worth it

Small Man Big Horse

Oops, haven't noticed this until now - but yeah, I'm up for it again.

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: Little Hoover on June 24, 2009, 04:36:32 PM
I'm almost tempted to say I'll enter, just to make up the numbers, although all I have is ms paint, and If I downloaded some photoshop thing, I probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it, so whoever drew me might as well have a bye anyway. so it doesn't seem worth it

You can use whatever software you like and wimblemong is not a technical photoshop challenge - make something that amuses me you

yay or nay?

Spoiler alert
say yes!
[close]

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 24, 2009, 04:44:16 PM
Oops, haven't noticed this until now - but yeah, I'm up for it again.

good man

Spoiler alert
why am I organising this? I hate you all
[close]

ziggy starbucks

one more person needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DocDaneeka

Need Fanny Splendid to sign up, shame he doesn't seem to post anymore.

actwithoutwords

I might give this a go finally, though if someone that's actually good wants to do it, I'll step aside.

Edit: I'm really going to regret this.

Emma Raducanu

Muteki did one of the best photoshop jobs I've ever seen in February. I really wish he'd join.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: DolphinFace on June 24, 2009, 05:33:46 PM
Muteki did one of the best photoshop jobs I've ever seen in February. I really wish he'd join.

Thanks for the encouragement, yer big shitter.

ziggy starbucks

the Excel random draw..............

delete vs baxter
chocky909 vs cerys
clone army vs lee van cleef
fry vs small man big horse
Kishi vs Phil _A
joeyzaza vs lee
8TT vs cardinal tit storm
alan nagsworth vs little hoover
lookalike mark chapman vs jutl
old thrashbarg vs always sober
neil vs ziggy starbucks
docdaneeka vs the region legion
no_offenc vs An tSaoi
miles vs viero_berlotti
micanio vs actwithoutwords
vitalstatistix vs gmoney

the person named first starts the thread and posts the first shot

there may be the odd problem with Phil_A, CTS and An tSaoi being away during the tournament but docdaneeka or joeyzaza will think of some clever solution

Little Hoover

Fine, I suppose I have to do it now, this will be my greatest humilation.

joeyzaza

Re: What to do if you're going away during the competition.

How about:

1) You need to mention at least a week before you go away that you'll be absent, otherwise "tough shit".
2) You can have up to 1 week extra to post your shot e.g. If your opponent serves first, you'll have to respond within 10 days instead of 3.

Will that be enough to accomodate everyone?

Pre-submit Edit:

So, are we having a new draw for every round, or shall we keep that order?

e.g. After I humiliate lee, I'd get to crush either Kishi or Phil_A in the next round, with my opponent getting to post first. It would potentially mean that delete would get to serve first in every match, while gmoney would never ever ever get to serve first, but that's the luck of the draw*, right?

Also, Neil vs ziggy. Tasty!

Spoiler alert
AKA karma's a bitch, fool!
[close]

Clone Army

I think redrawing pairs after every round

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: joeyzaza on June 24, 2009, 06:26:29 PM
e.g. After I humiliate lee, I'd get to crush either Kishi or Phil_A in the next round, with my opponent getting to post first. It would potentially mean that delete would get to serve first in every match, while gmoney would never ever ever get to serve first, but that's the luck of the draw*, right?

I've drawn up a provisional fixture list all the way to the final. I won't tell you who you would play if you win because that would infringe the sacrosanct rules upon which all of wimblemong is created.

Or I might just randomise the whole thing. It depends which gives me the best  draw assuming I beat Neil

Spoiler alert
JOKE!!!
[close]

An tSaoi

I will be away from tomorrow evening until sometime next mid-week.

Vitalstatistix

Sorry homies, there's just no way I'm going to be able make this :(

Congratulations gmoney, you outclassed me in every department.

actwithoutwords

Could someone draw up a rough schedule then for the first few rounds? It starts tomorrow right?

ziggy starbucks

it starts now, the servers have ~3 days to start their threads and play their first shot

anyone want to replace Vitalstatistix?

Spoiler alert
why am I organising this, it'll all turn to shit and I'll take the bamlem
[close]

gmoney

I'm getting to the final on byes alone. Watch me.

Lee

Quote from: joeyzaza on June 24, 2009, 06:26:29 PM
After I humiliate lee

Yeah, good luck with that. You can't humiliate that which already has humility.

Phil_A

I'm away from the 5th to the 17th of July, just to fuck things up good and proper...