Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:51:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Krautrock

Started by Serge, June 24, 2009, 11:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

Good luck with that! 'Trans-Europe Express', 'Radioactivity' and 'Man Machine' are usually easy to pick up new on vinyl relatively inexpensively. There are vinyl reissues of the first two albums and 'Ralf Und Florian', which are a bit more expensive, but practically the only way other than downloading you'll get hold of them at the moment. It's a shame that Kraftwerk are so Stalinist about their back catalogue, I'm sure lots of people would be grateful to have easy to find editions of the first three albums out there, even if they don't fit in with the later image. 'Ralf Und Florian' particularly is a delightful album, and rightfully talked about as such in that documentary.

I was happy to see Edwin Pouncey in there too, as I vaguely know him. Well, to say 'hello' in recognition to.

There's a reissue coming out soon that might be of interest to Cluster, Neu! and early Kraftwerk fans: 'Wunderbar' by Riechmann. Half a dozen beautiful instrumentals by the mysterious Riechmann, who apparently had barely completed the album before being stabbed in a fight in a bar. It dates from 1978, as does 'Durch Die Wüste', Roedelius' first album, which is getting reissued soon too. Hurrah!

Craig Torso

Did anyone see Kraftwerk in Manchester a few days ago at the velodrome?  Halfway through Tour de France the Great Britain cycling team came out and did laps, it was fantastic.

Also, has anyone ordered from the klingklang.de shop?  I'm not sure whether to get a small or medium t-shirt and was wondering if anyone's had any experience with them?

Serge

Didn't see it, but read about it. Am rubbing my hands with glee at the fact that Ralf Hutter is going to be interviewed on this weeks 'Culture Show' though.

NattyDread

There's a fantastic 6 dvd collection of performances doing the rounds called 'Krautrock Nacht 1&2'. Taken from German telly, there's some great early Kraftwerk, Can, Amon Duul II etc, and loads of folk I've never heard of.

Wee piece on it here:
http://www.bigozine2.com/features06/DTkrautrock.html

An tSaoi

Quote from: Serge on June 25, 2009, 05:30:16 PM
Yeah, the term 'krautrock' is slightly dodgy - it's a typical mid-'70s british music press bit of racism. The German music press of the time should have called anything british 'Limeyrock', I guess!

I see it more like "Spaghetti Western" which started off somewhat offensive, but was later accepted and became the proper, not disrespectful term.

And are Kraftwerk ever going to release their back catalogue, Der Katalogue or whateve rit was going to be called?

Serge

I think the Kraftwerk back catalogue is pencilled in for September, but I'm not holding my breath, it's been pencilled in for so many other dates before.

PaulTMA

I know mp3 requests are genrally frowned up here, but my file of 'Von himmel hoch' from the deleted first Kraftwerk album is corrupted...  Hopefully I'll get it for my half-birthday, or something.

Famous Mortimer

I was reading the paper yesterday and apparently Kraftwerk did a gig at a velodrome in Manchester the other day, supported by Steve Reich (!) and with accompaniment from the British cycling team from the Olympics. That sounds like maybe the best gig ever.

dmillburn

Any other fans of Brimingham's heavily Krautrock influenced lot Einstellung? They are playing the Flapper this coming Friday and are well worth checking out live, seen them a few times now. Their album was decent stuff too, there's some tracks on their myspace http://www.myspace.com/einstellung (although the ones marked live are from some gig with a string quartet so not really typical of their sound).

lazyhour

Apparently Kraftwerk did a Manchester gig recently and the British cycle team joined in the fun!  Can anyone confirm/deny?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: lazyhour on July 07, 2009, 02:56:51 PM
Apparently Kraftwerk did a Manchester gig recently and the British cycle team joined in the fun!  Can anyone confirm/deny?
lazyhour, you are rubbish for not reading two posts up.

NoSleep

Quote from: lazyhour on July 07, 2009, 02:56:51 PM

Confirmed

lazyhour

I'm just too subtle for you people.

Famous Mortimer

lazyhour

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 07, 2009, 07:41:50 PM
Or too rubbish.

Quite possibly.

Anyway, let's move on.  I hear that Kraftwerk played a concert in Manchester recently that featured the England Olympic cycle team actually riding their bikes in the venue.

lazyhour

I'm truly sorry.

Hey, I listened to Kanguru by Guru Guru for the first time the other day, and I was a bit underwhelmed.  I need to give it some more listens, but I think I was expecting to have the roof of my mind blown off.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: lazyhour on July 07, 2009, 09:47:09 PM
I'm truly sorry.

Hey, I listened to Kanguru by Guru Guru for the first time the other day, and I was a bit underwhelmed.  I need to give it some more listens, but I think I was expecting to have the roof of my mind blown off.
I think you're great really.

And I never got Guru Guru either. They were one of the bands that passed me by.

Serge

I might have already mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm another one who never quite 'got' Guru Guru. I've downloaded 'UFO', but I don't know.....it doesn't really do it for me. It's like all that tedious blues rock stuff that Copey goes on about in 'Japrocksampler' (yes, Speed, Glue And Shinki, I'm looking at you) that seems to get included because of where it came from rather than it's actual worth. See also any krautrock compilation that includes the bloody Scorpions.

Roy*Mallard

Heathens! I truly love the first 3 Guru Guru albums (UFO, Hinten, Kanguru). There's something raw and dynamic about the playing. And how can you not love Bo Diddley? BAU BAU BAU BAU BAU BAU BAU BAU BAUN "BO DIDDLEY!"

Where did NoSleep mention 'Les Rallizes Denudes'?

The record 'Heavier Than A Death In The Family' blew my mind off on a sun-scorched epic walk through the city the other day. My brain and body were burned good. Incredible sounds.

Serge

I've downloaded some Les Rallizes Denudes and it is incredible stuff. From the Japrock book, from the little I've heard, so far I like Les Rallizes, Flower Travellin' Bands 'Satori' and Takehisa Kosugi's 'Catch Wave'. Not so keen on Speed, Glue And Shinki, Brast Burn and the first Flower Travellin' Band album. Can't make my mind up about the Taj Mahal Travellers.

P.S. Ralf Hutter on 'The Culture Show' tonight!

PaulTMA

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 07, 2009, 11:16:46 AM
I know mp3 requests are genrally frowned up here, but my file of 'Von himmel hoch' from the deleted first Kraftwerk album is corrupted...  Hopefully I'll get it for my half-birthday, or something.

Right...anyone have an mp3 of 'Von himmel hoch' they wouldn't mind sending me?  Thanks.

NoSleep

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 08, 2009, 09:25:54 AM
Where did NoSleep mention 'Les Rallizes Denudes'?

The record 'Heavier Than A Death In The Family' blew my mind off on a sun-scorched epic walk through the city the other day. My brain and body were burned good. Incredible sounds.

That was in The Black Angels thread, TBC. Thanks to Marvin for putting me onto Les Rallizes Denudes in the first place.

Famous Mortimer

Kraftwerk on the Culture Show, BBC2, right this minute.

Serge

Still stuck at work, waiting for the bugger to show up on iPlayer!

An tSaoi

Blast - missed it.

Neville Chamberlain

The Kraftwerk feature consisted of Miranda Sawyer attempting to chat with Ralf's robot, some footage of what looks like a great show, a little bit of history about the band which didn't really reveal anything most people with a passing interest in the band wouldn't know already, and some total cock in a pink suit who clearly went to the Kraftwerk gig expecting to see The Ramones or something and then reviewed the gig as if it should have been The Ramones.

I was still reeling from the feature covering that patronising nonsense that was the Manchester parade. Good grief. Oooh, Big Issue sellers. Some old ladies in a mock-up cafe. Some boy racers. Something about fish 'n' chips.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 09, 2009, 08:16:43 AM
The Kraftwerk feature consisted of Miranda Sawyer attempting to chat with Ralf's robot, some footage of what looks like a great show, a little bit of history about the band which didn't really reveal anything most people with a passing interest in the band wouldn't know already, and some total cock in a pink suit who clearly went to the Kraftwerk gig expecting to see The Ramones or something and then reviewed the gig as if it should have been The Ramones.

I was still reeling from the feature covering that patronising nonsense that was the Manchester parade. Good grief. Oooh, Big Issue sellers. Some old ladies in a mock-up cafe. Some boy racers. Something about fish 'n' chips.
All I needed to see was the panel they'd assembled - tedious-opinions-4-hire professional Mancunian John Robb, some fucking idiot in a pink suit, and Terry Christian, before I turned off. I apologise if my post made anyone watch it. God knows why they couldn't have just shown more footage of the show, as if we don't want to actually see the band perform, but we do want to see people who've never claimed to be fans of theirs talk about them for 5 times as long.

Serge

Started to watch it on iPlayer, but lost interest when I saw it was just the robot. I guess it was Ralfs voice, but it wasn't really an interview with him, was it?

I should have guessed, though. He's notoriously reticent, and has only become comparatively interview-friendly over the last few years. I remember one in Mojo or Uncut I enjoyed where he called Wolfgang Flur a 'fucking nutcase' after the publication of his (Flurs) book. Which is funny, as it was pretty much the same opinion I had of Flur after reading about half of it and giving up.

An tSaoi

I don't think I've heard a single good thing about that book. What are the main contentious points?