Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I've just noticed that Kelis is good

Started by mwude, May 03, 2004, 03:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwude

That big scary haired woman shouting how much she hates you.  You know the one, purple bits in her hair & going "aarrrrrgh!" all the time.  She's great & I've only just spotted the fact, largely down to seeing her video for 'Trick me' which is a great vid & a belter of a song.  She's gorgeous as well in an odd, undefinable sort of way.

Have I been missing out?  I know she's been around for ages now.  Are her albums any good or will I be sorely disappointed cos she's only good at singles?  She's like the Sugababes but all rolled into one & made loads better.

Utter Shit

If you're into the Neptunes style of production, you'll love her - she's from the same area as them, and has had all her stuff produced by them since long before everyone was all over Pharell's balls. I don't really like her, but then I find the Neptunes beats very samey, half their tracks sound the same to me.

mr rou-rou

Kelis is pretty damn sexy, it's the fro and occasional hotpants, all the stuff my mother warned me against. it's the devil's booty

She was very good on Jules Holland years ago with a couple of rocky numbers and although I can't remember the track titles there must be about 5+ songs of hers I like, Milkshake is very catchy and good fun.

I'd have to agree with the Neptune comments, Pharrell and chum do nothing for me, and when I read about their 'groundbreaking beats' I just pull a face and move on :/

bugger, I've just spent 45 minutes looking for the b3ta parody of Kelis's Milkshake, what a pain in the arse it is not being sat at your own computer where you have all of these things archived.

smoker

she's brilliant. apart from that first single which wasn't exactly easy listening, everything of hers that's hit the charts has been pure class on toast. been considering buying some of her stuff for a while now

Frinky

Quote from: "smoker"been considering buying some of her stuff for a while now

"But I dunno, you never know what might happen if I buy it... What if I cut myself on the CD? No, I couldn't risk it, it's better to be safe than sorry..."

Sorry to bring this down to it's most basic level, but I find her voice pure horn. I quite like the beats and the production of the newer stuff, and although I've not heard the older stuff, I think her vocal talents could carry her regardless. Tops.

The first album was one of The Neptunes' first big commercial projects, and was suitably off the hook according to most people, I guess because they wanted to pull out all the stops, like with the first NERD album. That said, I hated that breakthrough single of hers. I remember reading a review 'why hasn't anyone thought of it before?!?! A shouty chorus?!?!?!' What a load of bollocks.

The second album was supposed to be dogdirt though, but with this new one she's gonna really take off according to Jockey Slut, great production again and even better tunes, hence mwude's new-found confusion/appreciation. Don't worry, you ain't missed shit dawg, but maybe get hold of the new one. My main problem though, and this may seem bizarre to you, is that I couldn't listen to a female voice for the duration of an album, no matter how horny it is. I honestly can't think of a single album I own with a female singer all the way through. It's pretty retarded perhaps, I'm not some woman hater, I just don't associate as well with a female voice. Anybody else feel the same?

Also, concerning the Neptunes, these days every track does sound identical, but they've had more hits with their groundreaking formula than you could shake a Korg preset at! They forged a great sound, possibly more distinctive than Timbaland in the R&B world (maybe because he's more experimental) but haven't pushed it anywhere really. The first NERD album was the pinnacle for me, mixing their clipped beats, tight keys etc. with a load of boss synths and unusual melodies, but since then they've stalled. The new NERD album is wack as fuck.

chand

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"That said, I hated that breakthrough single of hers. I remember reading a review 'why hasn't anyone thought of it before?!?! A shouty chorus?!?!?!' What a load of bollocks.

What bugged me about it was the way it was built up (admittedly not by Kelis) as some kind of massive turn of the century female empowerment anthem, when it was really just someone whinging about being cheated on (cf about a million other pop records). Still, I liked it apart from the chorus, and have enjoyed pretty much everything she's released since.

Jimmy

I liked that vs. Richard X one.. the one that went "After all that we've been through/Time won't change, the way I feel about you" in the chorus.

It had a nicely weird video as well.

As for the Neptunes, if they can make me admit to liking Justin Timberlake tunes, they must be doing something right. Some of his stuff is downright funky.

smoker

Quote from: "Jimmy"I liked that vs. Richard X one.. the one that went "After all that we've been through/Time won't change, the way I feel about you" in the chorus.

It had a nicely weird video as well.

is that the one that goes "i just wanna get along with you?"

if it is you're spot on. good stuff, milkshake and run away from home were all class as well

david

Quote from: "smoker"she's brilliant. [SNIP]

she certainly is, *especially* when mashed up with 90's female grunge rockers L7...

'Shit-Shake'

i've had this one out for a little while but have only just noticed this thread.

ta-ta...

Nearly Annually

And there, like the deeply enigmatic entity with 2 posts to his name he his, he went.

I wonder if Kelis' chuff is as brightly coiffured as her noddle. Any mention of L7 forces one to think.

Look, I know it's about as fresh as wondering what Meatloaf won't do, but has anybody heard a definitive definition for this "milkshake" thing yet?

Yes, that early Later performance was indeed helpful in spotting Kelis as a proper talent.

Edit: Although your dirty pillows are full, I don't think they're a full explanation, Tracey.

TraceyQ

I could teach you, but I'd have to charge etc.

I saw a quote attributed to her. It's honestly just shaking your tits.