Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:07:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2009/10 Season

Started by Tokyo Sexwhale, July 07, 2009, 11:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chand

Quote from: Mr Colossal on July 08, 2009, 09:59:56 PMI dont think he'll go.    Everton come across as a close-knit squad that really enjoy their football- and seeing as they're a club that are still improving, and he's got quite a good rapport with the Goodison fans, I can't see him as the type of player that would trade it in to move to a team that have yet to prove that they're even capable of challenging the big 4 as of yet.  Whether Everton have come as far as they're likely to come, and have the finances to compete with the biggest teams on that level, is another issue.   If he was sensible he'd stay and establish himself as an Everton legend, be flattered by the city interest, and maybe wisely take the 'retirement-fund' move he's earned, if it one day becomes inevitable.  But if Everton strengthen again, I can only see a City Move swapping like-for-like, until they're good enough to pip a team to fourth. 

The stuff about finances is the key though I suppose, Everton does seem like a great club to be at but a lot of players will consider them to be a club that's essentially fighting incredibly hard to be fifth, whereas City have stoopid money they can use to theoretically go higher. I'd say he would be better to stay with Everton this year and see what happens at City rather than jumping ship now at a time when their team is really just beginning to take shape. But then I'd advise anyone not to go to City.

Ted-Maul

Re: Lescott - Surely it's better to be one of the most important players in a good team that have gotten were they are by being good players

rather than

being just another name on an ever-increasing list of "stars" at a club whose main attraction is a wealthy owner (man city + chelsea)?

I just think of people like Wayne Bridge, Scott Parker, Wright-Phillips, Gareth Barry and think WHY? You stupid greedy cunts.....

If Lescott wants to leave then fair enough, I wont really hold it against him but I will see it as a massive step/set back for Everton.

Craig Torso

Quote from: Ted-Maul on July 09, 2009, 12:05:28 AM
I just think of people like Wayne Bridge, Scott Parker, Wright-Phillips, Gareth Barry and think WHY? You stupid greedy cunts.....
This is a game of 'odd one out' right?

MuteBanana

SSN put up RVP appearances and goals for the seasons since he's been at Arsenal. I couldn't help finding them rather average, especially for a striker.

So what gives? Is he just young and finding his form? Playing in midfield? I don't know why I've got such an attitude about it. I guess deep down I find it slightly amusing that a top four club would go to lengths to tie down an obvious mediocre striker who has had plenty of time to make an impact.

Is he worth keeping at Arsenal?

Also, good to see Spurs doing one good bit of business for once. Seemed to have sold Zokora for a bit more than we paid for him. Excellent.

Mr Colossal

Van Persie starts > goals

2004–05    26      5    
2005–06    24      5    
2006–07    22      11    
2007–08    15       7    
2008–09    28      11

So he's improved massively on his first 2 seasons from a about a goal every five to about a goal every 2 games (ok, so a bit less than that this season.)   

I dont think thats a bad return for a player who's more of a wing/forward than an out and out striker,   who spends a lot of time injured.  Plus he's got the flair to pull something special out of the hat and turn a game around...   I think any side would rather have a player like that in their squad than not.  Just casting an eye at the top scorer charts will tell you football has changed slightly in recent years- its a lot more common now to have a squad full of players all chipping in with a reasonable 10-15 goal haul, than one focal-point bagging 30-40.

MuteBanana

Those stats look better. SSN were throwing round 30s and 40s.

Geraint

Quote from: MuteBanana on July 09, 2009, 12:29:20 AM
SSN put up RVP appearances and goals for the seasons since he's been at Arsenal. I couldn't help finding them rather average, especially for a striker.

So what gives? Is he just young and finding his form? Playing in midfield? I don't know why I've got such an attitude about it. I guess deep down I find it slightly amusing that a top four club would go to lengths to tie down an obvious mediocre striker who has had plenty of time to make an impact.

Is he worth keeping at Arsenal?

Also, good to see Spurs doing one good bit of business for once. Seemed to have sold Zokora for a bit more than we paid for him. Excellent.

His ridiculous skill on the ball makes him far more useful than his goalscoring record (which isn't bad) would suggest, plus you've got to factor in that he's injured all the time so loads of his games are nowhere near 90mins. As a total neutral who really doesn't give a shit either way about Arsenal, he'd be one of the best in the Prem if injuries hadn't taken their toll.

Basically every stat SSN use on cobbled together packages about whatever player or manager is in the news today is entirely worthless. Strikers measured purely on goals scored, so van Persie, Kuyt, or Tevez come off worse than James Beattie. Managers are judged purely on win percentage, so a shit manager at a big club like Souness at Liverpool will always be at least on a par with, say, Hodgson at Fulham or O'Neill at Leicester. The only time they ditch these stats is when it reflects badly on someone that works for them or is a good source of insider rumours - so Harry Redknapp's statistical similarity to Perrin is never mentioned, for example.  It's all just one of their ways of stretching out about (being generous) 2 or 3 hours of content on a weekday to 24 hours to fill the channel.

Ted-Maul

Was it in the last World Cup when Van Persie was shit-hot? It might have been the Euros but he was fantastic until soon afterwards, he inevitably got injured.

I've always thought he is just about to get over his injuries but he never seems to. I hope he does and becomes consistanly good. I'd love him to play for my club!

Geraint

Quote from: Ted-Maul on July 09, 2009, 11:25:34 AM
Was it in the last World Cup when Van Persie was shit-hot? It might have been the Euros but he was fantastic until soon afterwards, he inevitably got injured.

I've always thought he is just about to get over his injuries but he never seems to. I hope he does and becomes consistanly good. I'd love him to play for my club!

was the Euros I think, all the dutch flair players like him, Sneijder, van der Vaart and Robben hitting form at the same time with RvN on the end of the chances. Won all 3 group games handily (demolishing Italy and France), and I was convinced nobody else could win the thing.

mr. logic

Being a Newcastle United supporter, I am in the process of adopting the 'embittered lower league supporter' persona, and it's working out great for me.  There is a queasy guilt associated with the tacky Premiership and its tacky money and it's nice to be loosened from those chains.  Mind, my romantic notion that it may lead to more Saturday 3pm games has been dashed:  four of our first six have been shifted. 

So, yes, Championship folk, how do you see our team handling things this year?  i genuinely feel that if Ashley doesn't die in a car crash sell the club, we may be staring at another relegation. 

Hobes

I know there's at least one other Forest fan on here so you're not alone in the Championship.

On the subject of Forest, I'm chuffed too bits so far with some cracking signings by the dour Davies. Anderson is a great capture after impressing last season, and at a low price (300,000 or so?).

Also, we've at last got a sponsor! The bookmaker Victor Chandler

mr. logic

I'm looking forward to our away game at Forest, one of my favourite grounds in the country and a great night.  Forest's inabilty to have a top flight team has been a source of frustration for years and clearly we have decided to meet you halfway.

Watch some fucker move the fixture to a thursday morning or something.

If Ribery signs for Liverpool I'm tempted to say I'll eat a box of 12 Krispy Kreme doughnuts at the 10th anniversary meet.  Just can see it happen, although the odds have been slashed to 8/13 per oddschecker.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on July 09, 2009, 09:16:35 PM
If Ribery signs for Liverpool I'm tempted to say I'll eat a box of 12 Krispy Kreme doughnuts at the 10th anniversary meet.  Just can see it happen, although the odds have been slashed to 8/13 per oddschecker.

What's that all about? I saw that a few minutes ago. Bizarre news. The summer is still all about sorting out the Alonso/Mascherano problems.

Quote from: actwithoutwords on July 09, 2009, 09:27:07 PM
What's that all about? I saw that a few minutes ago. Bizarre news. The summer is still all about sorting out the Alonso/Mascherano problems.

I think Rafa is emboldened and has effectively told Real Madrid where to go by not agreeing to lower Alonso's value.  He also had a dig at Barry in his press conference today, I assume it was Barry anyway, confirming that he tried to sign him and saying that some players seem to be motivated more by money than anything else.  He also criticised the overheated transfer market, so all in all he's been busy recently.

Lord knows what's happening with Mascherano, I dearly hope he stays, he's an annoying bastard to play against.  The Ribery thing seems to be pie in the sky as I thought Liverpool had pretty much spent their transfer kitty on Johnson and were relying on sales of players to fund further transfer activity although some of that seems to be scuppered as Dossena is probably needed now that Fabio Aurelio seems to have put himself out for part of the season after knackering his knee playing football with his kids on the beach.

The Duck Man

Who's actually in charge of Newcastle at the moment? Coaching wise I mean. Hughton appears to be doing pre-season, but is Shearer still behind the scenes. And wasn't Shearer filling in for Joe Kinnear? Does he still have a contract? I'm yet to see any suggestion it's been ended. Or was it til the end of the season and the press have just let his drift from sick-leave to unemployment go by unnoticed?

Also, Newcastle don't have a hope in hell of going up. Not sure they'll go down, though. Depends what the squad looks like. Middlesbrough's signings so far have been comically pedestrian. As a Watford fan I'd have considered them about par for us, and I've have been pretty underwhelmed by Coyne.

jaydee81

Newcastle won't go down this season. They'll follow the Leeds/Forest/Leicester/Southampton/Norwich pattern of being a bit crap, losing in the play offs and then getting relegated.

jaydee81

Quote from: Hobes on July 09, 2009, 08:51:09 PM
I know there's at least one other Forest fan on here so you're not alone in the Championship.

On the subject of Forest, I'm chuffed too bits so far with some cracking signings by the dour Davies. Anderson is a great capture after impressing last season, and at a low price (300,000 or so?).

Also, we've at last got a sponsor! The bookmaker Victor Chandler

Yep there's a few Tricky Trees around including myself. So far this summer we've bought a couple of players we already have on loan (which I remember Nick Hancock describing in a copy of 90minutes magazine from the mid 90s as being like opening your Christmas presents after you've already sneaked a look at them), another player who was born in Nottingham (is there any club that has a devotion like Forest's to buying players who were born in that city? None of the Notttingham lads we have bought seem to have been picked up by our academy) and Dele Adebola. Dele Adebola. Hmmm.

mr. logic

Quote from: The Duck Man on July 10, 2009, 01:12:03 AM
Who's actually in charge of Newcastle at the moment? Coaching wise I mean. Hughton appears to be doing pre-season, but is Shearer still behind the scenes. And wasn't Shearer filling in for Joe Kinnear? Does he still have a contract? I'm yet to see any suggestion it's been ended. Or was it til the end of the season and the press have just let his drift from sick-leave to unemployment go by unnoticed?

Also, Newcastle don't have a hope in hell of going up. Not sure they'll go down, though. Depends what the squad looks like. Middlesbrough's signings so far have been comically pedestrian. As a Watford fan I'd have considered them about par for us, and I've have been pretty underwhelmed by Coyne.

Far as I can tell, neither Kinnear nor Shearer have any of their contracts left;  they were both up at the endo of the season.  The assumption is that when the takeover is complete Shearer will take over, the snag being that nobody wants to buy the club.  Which mean Hughton is in charge of training and pre-season.  Hughton is popular with our fans for his quiet dignity, but can't manage for shit, and, frankly, I'm not sure there's much to respect about his willingness to take on a job he is clearly not cut out for.  I'd have alot more time for him if he sacked it off and forced Ashley's hand.

Fuckface Kinnear has been making noises about coming back if 'Mike' (ugh) doesn't find a buyer, but I have a feeling Ashley will consider even that option too expensive.  We're fucked basically, and Mike Ashley is a cunt.

actwithoutwords

I hadn't heard about this before, slightly grim story undermined by the strange anti-European tone.

Peanuts and Bananas Are the Pay for Your Infamy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHvDNj_VijA

bennett

Quote from: actwithoutwords on July 11, 2009, 11:45:14 PM
I hadn't heard about this before, slightly grim story undermined by the strange anti-European tone.

Peanuts and Bananas Are the Pay for Your Infamy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHvDNj_VijA

yeah, you've got to love Americans haven't you.

Slaaaaabs

Michael Owen now has a shirt number

And it is 7

richey

Carlos, what have you done?

What money on him ending up being loaned to a club back in Argentina this time next year to sort him self out. Its City, thats got to happen hasn't it?

buttgammon

If they get Adebayor then Tevez will probably get fewer games there than he got for us last season.

actwithoutwords

I think the sad news about John Hartson is probably worth a mention here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8147852.stm

Still only 34. Fairly shocking. The combination of brain and testicular cancer sounds quite strange too.
Hopefully he'll be able to get through it anyway.

Quote from: buttgammon on July 14, 2009, 06:14:51 PM
If they get Adebayor then Tevez will probably get fewer games there than he got for us last season.

I think that Santa Claus and the ever fucked Craig Bellamy, as well as the ever fucked legions of other Man City strikers, will be the ones to miss out, rather than Tevez "probably" being left out as you suggest.  I'd have thought he'd be one of the first names on City's team sheets for the big matches.

Latest transfer rumour to start messing around with bookies' odds is Aguero to Arsenal, Paddy Power have suspended betting, although that could mean a number of things.

chand

Quote from: buttgammon on July 14, 2009, 06:14:51 PM

Tevez appeared in 51 games for United last season, the most City will play this season is 50, even if they go all the way in both cups.

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on July 14, 2009, 07:22:40 PMI'd have thought he'd be one of the first names on City's team sheets for the big matches.

Which big matches would these be?

On a related note, I wonder how many of Tevez's apparent problems with United are down to the fact that after three years in England he still doesn't speak English?

How does he communicate with his bezzie Park?

chand

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 15, 2009, 03:16:00 AM
How does he communicate with his bezzie Park?

Park speaks Spanish. He's also friends with Evra, but Evra doesn't speak much Spanish so Park translates it into English for him.

mr. logic

Do the Man. Utd fans that booed their manager on the day the won a record equalling League championship and sang 'sign him up' through the acceptance speeches now feel like the absolute cunts they clearly are?