Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:46:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2009/10 Season

Started by Tokyo Sexwhale, July 07, 2009, 11:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: mr. logic on July 15, 2009, 10:49:55 AM
Do the Man. Utd fans that booed their manager on the day the won a record equalling League championship and sang 'sign him up' through the acceptance speeches now feel like the absolute cunts they clearly are?

Probably. I can only imagine that feeling will be channeled into hating the money-grabbing lying cunt that is Carlos Tevez and the classless City fans who sung Munich songs when he arrived at their ground.

Quote from: actwithoutwords on July 14, 2009, 07:02:12 PM
I think the sad news about John Hartson is probably worth a mention here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8147852.stm

Still only 34. Fairly shocking. The combination of brain and testicular cancer sounds quite strange too.
Hopefully he'll be able to get through it anyway.

Horrible news, spread to his lungs as well. I hope the treatment allows him to successfully fight the disease, his punditry has been superb, and refreshingly articulate in the age of Crooks and Redknapp.

richey

Real shame to hear that, hope he pulls through. Sounds pretty bleak though.

Always played his heart out for Wales, whoever it was against.

dude

Does not look good for Big John. The cancer has also been discovered in his lungs, and after an operation, his condition is described as 'critical'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8151728.stm

Tokyo Sexwhale

Villa look like they're going to buy Stewart Downing.  For £12 million.  And he's crocked until October.  Crocked by a Villa player last season.  And now there will be (hopefully unfounded) speculation that Ashley Young will be off.

Laughably, Spurs seem to think they have a chance of getting Young.

Apparently Harry is not at the Exeter friendly this evening, so I'm not sure what people will read into that. The only Spurs related rumours that seem to have at least some credence are the two Kyle's from Sheffield United.

Out of the hundred or so names we are linked with during this window the most discussed are Young, Hunterlaar, Vieira and Beckham, all seem very hard to believe.

*Correction eyewitness reports were incorrect, he was in the Stands.

Depressed Beyond Tables

For fans of footy stories here are two:

Peter Ndlovu recalls an unsavoury incident from the African Cup of Nations.

It is from the 2006 African Nations Cup in Egypt. We had just played our final group game, ending on a high by beating a strong Ghana side but still crashing out of the tournament. At the hotel that night we decided to have a few drinks and toast to our victory. I had invited my friend Tony Yeboah along (fans of English football will remember him from his highly successful period with Leeds United) as he had been watching the match.

The lads started giving Tony a lot of stick for his country's loss, especially our head coach Charles Mhlauri. Tony was taking it quite gracefully but, as a proud Ghanaian, I could sense his patience was wearing thin. Nevertheless, the drinks kept flowing and so did the jokes.

It came to the end of the night and some of the lads had disappeared to bed, most notably our coach and Tony. Now during the whole tournament Charles had personally entered the hotel rooms of our most lazy players (Benjani was the worst) and pulled them out of bed in the morning to get ready for training so myself and a couple of the other lads decided to repeat the routine on him. We got the keys from reception and seven of us bundled into his hotel room at 4 a.m. To our horror it was not Charles who we found in bed, it was Tony Yeboah. The worst part was that he was having sex with Charles' wife!

I quickly rounded the boys up and ushered them out of the room, frantically hoping to keep a lid on the situation. After all, it was I who invited Tony to the party! We found Charles in one of the hotel bathrooms. He had had far too much to drink and crashed out.

The next morning, at breakfast, I quizzed Tony about what happened and he delivered a line which I will remember all my life:

"When a man insults my country I insult him, by taking his woman"

Charles did eventually find out about the incident and I think he separated from his wife for a period. The last I heard though was that they are back together and he's now coaching in the USA. The moral of the story is never to piss off Tony Yeboah!

In 1992 Cameroon legend Roger Milla kidnapped 150 jungle pygmies as he bid to set up a charity football tournament. Claiming that it would raise money for their education and health within the African state, matters soon turned pear-shaped when only 50 spectators turned up at the 50,000 all-seater Omnisports stadium to watch teams such as Bee-Sting of Lomie and Ants of Salapoumbe play. Of those who turned up, 25 were ejected after hurling abuse at the pygmies.

A few weeks later, Milla was arrested after the police received complaints that the pygmies had been imprisoned in a single locked room underneath the stadium by an armed guard in a Saddam Hussein T-shirt. A stadium official countered by saying: "You don't know the pygmies. They are extremely difficult to control." A pygmy delegation also complained that they had received just one meal in three days. "They play better if they don't eat too much," argued the spokesman.

Geraint

that Ndlovu/Yeboah story has been doing the rounds for ages, the original just had Ndlovu talking about 'his friend' (but highly implied that it was Tony Yeboah) so this has been edited for extra FWD: FWD: FWD: potential. Also, the Ndlovu column was on footyhighlights.com, described as his 'regular column' and has it's own section at the top - yet there appear to have only ever been 2 entries, this one and one detailing a hilarious prank on Micky Quinn. I don't think it's at all genuine, it's someone from that site writing what is basically comedy fanfic about 'cult' footballers (the original version did not name Charles Mhlauri and at the time it was written he was still manager of Zimbabwe - the american coaching was, at that point, summer camps which many overseas coaches do - and Ndlovu has helped fund the Zimbabwean team's travels after his international retirement, so 'the last I heard...' doesn't ring true about the then-current manager). This one's just playing on cliches about African footballers, like, for example, the ludicrous notion that because Nigeria, among other nations, have falsified player's ages in youth tournaments in the past (when FIFA didn't have such stringent checks) that every famous Nigerian footballer ever is several years older than they claim (despite the sheer implausibility of the Nigerian FA depriving their senior side of a chunk of their best players' primes to win an U17 cup or something)

Depressed Beyond Tables

Yeah possibly, I thought Yeboah's stare would be enough to deter any slagging.

And he can kick mighty hard too.

Mr Colossal

Quote from: dude on July 15, 2009, 01:54:59 PM
Does not look good for Big John. The cancer has also been discovered in his lungs, and after an operation, his condition is described as 'critical'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8151728.stm

Pretty gutted about this,  if anybodies too tall to die surely it's him!?   Especially as he missed out the career ending swansea return, and had been linked with the vacant job there, and at falkirk only last month.

He's only 'toes' away from having full body cancer...  Does anybody ever come back from shit like that?

Comes as a double whammy for wales as the actor Geraint Owen dropped dead on the same day that was anounced, at the ripe old age of 43.  I had no idea who that was and had to look him up.  Apparently he auditioned to be the new bond!  A nation mourns.

Even though he's said his purse is now closed for this summer,     a few brazilian websites are saying he's still sniffing around brazilian under 21 international douglas costa.    Perhaps it's something of a dummy-spit because not only did he miss out on Benzema, another target Javier Pastore, ended up signing for Italian side Palermo after turning down an 9 million pound United move, and Costa's representatives are sticking to his 21 million euro buy out clause- which fergie thinks is astronomical for a player yet to prove himself on any serious stage, which might hint he's still looking for an attacking midfielder... although whether these players would have featured much for united these season begs to be desired, hence probably why Pastore moved to a side where he'd be guaranteed first team action.

chand

Quote from: Mr Colossal on July 17, 2009, 02:14:23 AMEven though he's said his purse is now closed for this summer,     a few brazilian websites are saying he's still sniffing around brazilian under 21 international douglas costa.    Perhaps it's something of a dummy-spit because not only did he miss out on Benzema, another target Javier Pastore, ended up signing for Italian side Palermo after turning down an 9 million pound United move, and Costa's representatives are sticking to his 21 million euro buy out clause- which fergie thinks is astronomical for a player yet to prove himself on any serious stage, which might hint he's still looking for an attacking midfielder... although whether these players would have featured much for united these season begs to be desired, hence probably why Pastore moved to a side where he'd be guaranteed first team action.

We've been linked with Costa for ages, even before the end of last season his name was being floated about. I wouldn't put any stock in Fergie saying he's finished buying, he said that last summer before we bought Berbatov. We may make some more signings after stuff has calmed down (seriously, today's story is Barcelona buying Ibrahimovic for €40m + Eto'o), plus we don't want to look desperate to sign people or we'll get taken for an even bigger ride than usual when it comes to fees. Another factor is Hargreaves, we could be waiting til nearer the start of the season to see how he's shaping up.

As for Costa, the story is that United are confident that Gremio will take a reduced offer because they're in financial trouble, so if it happens I'd expect it to be a reasonable fee up front with a load of add-ons based on first-team appearances etc, that seems to be the way a lot of our deals are structured now. I wouldn't expect him in the first team much this season if we did get him, he's not even always in the first team at Gremio because he's very raw, so he'll be bought with one eye on the future if we do sign him, like Gabriel Obertan.

Danger Man

Quote from: Mr Colossal on July 17, 2009, 02:14:23 AM
He's only 'toes' away from having full body cancer...  Does anybody ever come back from shit like that?

Lance Armstrong survived testicular-brain-lung cancer.

bennett

Quote from: Danger Man on July 17, 2009, 08:48:12 AM
Lance Armstrong survived testicular-brain-lung cancer.

But Armstrong was 25,  and he also had a bit of a weird treatment regime - refusing the standard regimen of drugs and doing a different combination instead to preserve his lungs.

chand

Quote from: chand on July 17, 2009, 08:37:36 AM
I wouldn't put any stock in Fergie saying he's finished buying, he said that last summer before we bought Berbatov.

Quicker than I expected: Manchester United sign striker Mame Biram Diouf from Molde

rjd2

This is a stunning piece of business from Inter if true. Eto'o in my opinion is a better player than Zlatan and then to make the deal even sweeter for Inter they may get 35 million and Hleb? Thats beautiful for Inter if true.
Barca want Ibrahimovic for Eto'o

Both Ibrahimovic (left) and Eto'o have been linked to the Premier League
Barcelona and Inter Milan have started negotiations over a swap deal involving Barca striker Samuel Eto'o and Inter forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Reports suggest Barca will pay about £35m plus Eto'o, 28, for Ibrahimovic, 27, as well as sending Alex Hleb on loan for a season to the Italian club.
Inter president Massimo Moratti told his club's website that he had held talks with counterpart Joan Laporta.
"We will see if it is possible to enter both players in a deal," said Moratti.
Eto'o came close to agreeing a move to Manchester City, before the Eastlands side ended their pursuit on 10 July.
The 28-year-old Cameroon international has scored more than 100 goals in five seasons at the Nou Camp but has been regularly linked with moves away from the club and is out of contract next summer.

Since signing for Inter from Juventus following the Turin side's demotion to Serie B in 2006, 27-year-old Ibrahimovic has become one of the most prized strikers in Europe.
The Swede was top scorer in Serie A last season and has reportedly attracted attention from Real Madrid and Manchester United as well as European champions Barca.
"It was interesting for them to know something about Ibrahimovic, and talk about Eto'o, two players of the same quality," said Moratti.
"If an operation of this kind was carried out, it would regard both players."
Inter and Barcelona have done business once already this summer with Brazilian left-back Maxwell moving to Spain in a £3.9m deal.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8155593.stm

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ibrahimovic is useful to propel your league position as he loves to cash in against the dross. Rarely seen him perform on the big occasion though.

Eto'o's able to do his stuff against all-comers, if he's able to get onto the field.

actwithoutwords

Jesus Christ. 35 million plus Eto'o? Madness. Barca have plenty of big game players to compensate for Ibras bottling, but still...

chand

Well, the deal has definitely gone though. The reports are that it's 35m plus Etio'o AND Hleb (Hleb just on loan for a year though).

It seems Eto'o was just gonna sit out the rest of his contract sulking at Barca so they wanted rid by any means. He only had a year left so I guess Barca didn't want to be trying to buy Ibra in a year for even more money while Eto'o walks out. Wouldn't surprise me though if the Eto'o part of the deal collapsed over personal terms and they have to rework it.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 17, 2009, 06:44:42 PM
Ibrahimovic is useful to propel your league position as he loves to cash in against the dross. Rarely seen him perform on the big occasion though.

Ibrahimovic isn't supposed to have scored a goal in the Champions League in the knock out stage or something like that, I've not actually checked this, but it seems like a surprising stat.

I love Eto'o, I think he's a brilliant player and am surprised by the swap, seems like good business for Inter.

chand

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on July 17, 2009, 10:26:40 PM
Ibrahimovic isn't supposed to have scored a goal in the Champions League in the knock out stage or something like that, I've not actually checked this, but it seems like a surprising stat.

Inter have a shite record in Europe though, going out at the first knockout stage for the last three years, so he'll have only played six maximum at Inter. Although I suppose you could argue that's partly his fault. Ajax only went past the group stage once when he was there, although his CL record at Juve does look pretty poor.

Cristiano Ronaldo had a strangely shit record in the Champions League for ages, I seem to remember.

rjd2

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on July 17, 2009, 10:26:40 PM

I love Eto'o, I think he's a brilliant player and am surprised by the swap, seems like good business for Inter.

It is, Zlatan is a loss but when you consider they are getting 35 million and Eto'o in a return its a stunning coup for Inter.

chand

Owen just came off the bench to score the winner in United's first pre-season friendly. Scoring rate of 1 every 30 minutes so far.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You have someone who can get you back to the Van Nistelrooy/Solskjaer days of ice-cool finishing.

It'll be interesting to see what your strategy will be without Ronaldo. You might go back to wide wing play, 4-4-2 perhaps?

chand

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 18, 2009, 12:58:11 PM
You have someone who can get you back to the Van Nistelrooy/Solskjaer days of ice-cool finishing.

It'll be interesting to see what your strategy will be without Ronaldo. You might go back to wide wing play, 4-4-2 perhaps?

We played 4-4-2 today, starting with Nani and Gibson wide and Berbatov and Rooney up front, ending with Nani and Tosic wide and Owen and Macheda up front. Game was a bit of a slog cos of the intense heat and the fact that everyone was rusty, but Owen did look sharp when he came on and he was always looking to get behind defenders where Rooney and Berbatov might drop back to receive the ball. Could work.

Slaaaaabs

Good start for Owen. Scholes and Foster had nightmares though.

Meanwhile in the world of pathetic misguided gestures...

Give it a year or so.

weekender

Another Man City signing...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8149488.stm

QuoteManchester City have added to their collection of strikers by signing Arsenal's Emmanuel Adebayor on a five-year deal for a fee of around £25m.

The 25-year-old joins fellow new signings Roque Santa Cruz and Carlos Tevez at Eastlands.

And with Robinho, Craig Bellamy, Valeri Bojinov and Benjani also on their books, City have an embarrassment of riches up front.

Well it's one way of obtaining strength in depth.  Anyone know how Man City's defence is looking?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Richard Dunne being a poor man's sweaty Carragher and that total dickhead.

weekender

So basically Man City are following a method of success used in Football Manager on the ZX Spectrum, while other clubs are basing their transfers on the more sophisticated game engine of Championship Manager 00/01?