Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:34:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scharpling & Wurster / The Best Show On WFMU

Started by Paaaaul, July 13, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

I can't believe there isn't a thread about these guys. Well there is now.

Tom Scharpling is a writer on TV series Monk, as well as the host of the weekly "The Best Show On WFMU", which can be heard online at http://wfmu.org/
The show is largely made up of a regular set of listeners calling in to discuss Tom's topic of the week. This is usually quite funny, but can be awful.

Most weeks though, there is a moment of comedy brilliance when Scharpling's cohort, Jon Wurster, calls in.
Wurster is a drummer. And an amazing comedian.

Scharpling and Wurster have created the imaginary city of Newbridge in New Jersey, where most of the action takes place in these phone calls. The amount of effort that has gone into creating their world pays off as it becomes a semi-realistic base for the comedy to launch itself from. As far as the show goes, Tom Scharpling's full time job is in Newbridge's cardboard box factory.

Wurster calls in to the show as an assortment of characters from this world, and the slow-burning comedy normally starts with a relatively straight phone call which eventually turns fantastically ridiculous and usually ends in death threats. Many of the calls are music-related due to the obvious love of 80s and 90s US rock from S&W.
There are many running jokes including some incredibly funny malapropisms, the aforementioned death threats, references to infamous Newbridge events,near swears and Wurster's "Wait! Whaaaaat?" catchphrase.
Some calls obviously have a lot of thought beforehand, others see Wurster winging it, often spectacularly.

Listening to the whole of the Best Show, waiting for one of these phone calls, can be hard work, but thankfully WFMU have now started doing a Best Show Gems bi-weekly podcast which is mostly a selection of the best Wurster phone calls.

If you want to try out some of this hilarity without messing about with podcasts, there are a bunch of calls here and I would thoroughly recommend the hutPod one.

They have released 5 albums of edited highlights from the radio shows which I would rate as the best comedy albums since the Pythons hung up their communal pen.
The first one, Rock Rot & Rule, is the first comedy call made by Wurster when he called in as a musicologist who procedes to wind up the rest of the show's listeners who call in to argue with him.

Give 'em a spin or two. You'll soon be dragging yourself to Newbridge to join the freaks who live there.

(Hello to YoungAmerican, who has interviewed them a couple of times and appeared on the show a couple of weeks ago.)

Famous Mortimer

My favourite character of theirs is Philly Boy Roy, who phones up to complain about the small wafting across the river from New Jersey, or to talk about the shop he owns (that Scharpling can remember all the crazy details that builds up their relationship is fantastic in itself).

It'll still be up, I think, but a while ago Tom had to do a 6-hour marathon, and it was chock full of comedy gold. All New York's finest comedians either called in or were in the studio, it seemed, and the time flew by.

Maximash

Thank you for this, I've been wondering about the 'hilarious call-in show I once heard on WFMU' for some years now, and I believe this is finally it! I've also been listening back to the Glen Jones Radio Program for the past month or so which I love for the banter between Jones and X-Ray Burns, though it can be a pain having to skip an hour of music! Any other listeners?

Paaaaul

As good a character as Philly Boy Roy is, I love the one-off calls like :-

• The Poor Millionaire
  • Brock Peukh - Neighbourhood hero
  • Tony Torgvort - author of The System
  • Anything Inc.

You can download the above calls here

I've been listening to the Best Show for around 6 months, and it certainly can be extremely funny. Philly Boy Roy absolutely cracked me up when he was going on about making it in Hollywood. As time goes on it has disappointed me slightly that Wurster's characters are all so similar though, both in terms of how they sound and in what they say. Possibly that's part of the joke and I'm just not getting it fully, I dunno, but last night Neil was playing Phil Hendrie on the radio and his character work struck me as a lot more impressive. That is the only Phil Hendrie I've heard, so it may not be right to compare them, but I couldn't help but think of the Best Show at the time.

It is also possible that Wurster is much better than I give him credit for, and I haven't even spotted some of his calls, but I think I have an ear for him now. He is funny, no doubt about that.

There have been some odd and interesting comedy interviews on the Best Show too. Kevin Smith being interviewed by his old internet troll nemesis (because Scharpling hates him, apparently) was great. Also, Robert Popper getting harrassed by Tim Heidecker (I think it was) might be worth tracking down. I assume that was all a joke, but I did think Popper came off as a bit of a prat and Heidecker said exactly what I was thinking regarding over-promotion, whether he meant it or not.

It's good, but it may well be worth going for the shorter of the podcasts. I have trouble keeping on top of the 3 hour show.

Thanks for the link Paaaaul.

Paaaaul

Another download - The best of Philly Boy Roy

I'm guessing that because of his lack of range as a vocal actor, Wurster has twisted it to his amusement - deliberately starting his calls in a similar way, using certain words and phrases over and over again and going down similar alleys with different characters.

lazyhour

Hilarious WFMU show featuring argumentative Monk writer, you say?

http://wfmu.org/playlists/sd

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: lazyhour on July 14, 2009, 12:00:50 PM
Hilarious WFMU show featuring argumentative Monk writer, you say?

http://wfmu.org/playlists/sd
I do love Seven Second Delay even more than Scharpling's show. Their recent run of shows at the Upright Citizens Brigade theatre have given them yet another string to their bow. Brilliant stuff.

Paaaaul

I think Seven Second Delay is a much better show on the whole, even though it's not at it's peak at the moment. The Best Show Gems podcast is equally great in my opinion as it is pure wheat.

subterranean

I've just got into The Best Show in the last couple of months; as Famous Mortimer said the six hour show was great; I don't remember one dull moment. One thing I've been wondering is what's the deal with the references to Christmas trees on fire? 

wheatgod

Have been listening to The Best Show for about a year now, its really great stuff and is well worth the 2.5 hour a week commitment. I find Tom's banter with the real callers as entertaining as Wurster's calls, the way he takes what the callers says and runs with it reminds me a bit of Adam and Joe.

The burning Christmas trees is a Fredericks thing, I think he said thats how he disposes of his and Tom made a thing of it. Fredericks is awesome.

Seven Second delay is also awesome. Send me my swag! When I next go to America, I want to visit Hoboken, Newport Ritchie, and of course Newbridge.

actwithoutwords

I have found The Best Show a bit difficult to get into. I've liked it so far, but haven't quite 'got it' yet*. Seven Second Delay, on the other hand, I found really easy. I love that show. I was at the last Upright Citizens Brigade show, the Stoner Olympics one. I backed the wrong stoner :(  Really looking forward to the next one.
I was talking to Ken a few days later, apparently Andy's rape joke did not go down well.
Incidentally, swag-wise, there appears to be tons of stuff being sent out next week. They have been waiting for various things to come back from the manufacturers.

*Thanks for all the downloads in this thread though, that should help.

subterranean

Quote from: wheatgod on July 14, 2009, 07:16:57 PM
The burning Christmas trees is a Fredericks thing, I think he said thats how he disposes of his and Tom made a thing of it. Fredericks is awesome.

Thanks for that.

After seeing so much praise for Seven Second Delay I'll have to give that a go too.

wheatgod

Quote from: actwithoutwords on July 14, 2009, 07:38:02 PM
Incidentally, swag-wise, there appears to be tons of stuff being sent out next week. They have been waiting for various things to come back from the manufacturers.

Yes sounds like Tom S has only just got round to mastering the McCartney CD.

*Thanks for all the downloads in this thread though, that should help.

Yes thanks for these, they've gone down very well! Thanks for uploading. Any more available anywhere?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yup, many thanks for these. Quite enjoying the first Philly Boy Roy call so far. So that's good.

Paaaaul

I'm uploading some more as I type, I'll post them later tonight or in the morning.
I got most of them a couple of years ago on Soulseek.

The best place to get some more S&W for free is emusic.com, if you've never used it before.
You can go here, http://www.emusic.com/promo/brand.html , and sign up for a free trial- you'll need a credit card or equivalent.
With the free account, you can download all five Scharpling & Wurster albums. Bingo. 10 CDs worth of funniness for free.
Cancel your account and put your credit card back in your pocket.

Quote from: subterranean on July 14, 2009, 08:19:04 PM
After seeing so much praise for Seven Second Delay I'll have to give that a go too.

With Seven Second Delay, I would suggest listening to the oldest shows on the WFMU website first, and working forward from there. The last couple of years have seen the show reaching it's nadir, although it does seem that Andy is getting his hunger back for it which could see a resurgence soon.
Also, by listening chronologically, you'll get the bonus of hearing the emotional rollercoaster that Andy and Ken ride outside of the show which never fails to leech into the programme.

Paaaaul

• The Creature From POUT
  • Shout Network
  • Black Tyger
  • Jeffrey Loudell
  • Judge Montgomery Davies
  • Drunk Driver

Download

wheatgod

Neil

Yes, thanks Paaaaul, I've heard about these fellows, and am going to enjoy working through these clips.  Will be back with some opinioning!

Maximash

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 15, 2009, 07:37:41 AM

• The Creature From POUT
  • Shout Network
  • Black Tyger
  • Jeffrey Loudell
  • Judge Montgomery Davies
  • Drunk Driver

Download

Same link as the first!

actwithoutwords

FMU in the Guardian

Bit of a crappy shallow article. But about WFMU and the Best Show nonetheless. Try to ignore the big photo of the Boosh.
Thanks to Paaaaul, I'm really getting into the Best Show now. Thanks a lot for those uploads. Wurster's repetition of certain phrases cracks me up. "Pawing herself", "Complete choke job", "... and get paid for it!" etc.
Anyone get their premium? It's a lovely package, and the Scharpling/Wurster CD is great. Barry Dworkin's timing and intonation of 'black' is just perfect. The Todd Palin stuff is good too. The SSD plate was due in last week, but never arrived, but it may well start going out tomorrow, if it has arrived since Friday.

The Boosh interview last week was somewhat annoying. A pity to hear Scharpling address them so glowingly, particularly with Barratt swinging into animal whimsy mode almost immediately. That said, Fielding came across as marginally less of a twerp than I'd expected. The Boosh are disturbingly popular over here. In fact British comedy in general seems to be very much in vogue. Yer Booshes, Barleys, IT Crowds, Spaceds etc.

On the other hand, the Juggalo Gathering section with Paul F Tompkins a couple of weeks ago is lovely radio indeed. Really infectious stuff. From our sister forum AST: Juggalos

Famous Mortimer

Anyone got their bag of swag yet? It seems a while since they said they were sending stuff out.

EDIT: I should just check the site. Still mailing things out, apparently.

And Tom is awesome at the moment. The last few shows have been brilliant.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 17, 2009, 04:45:20 PM
Anyone got their bag of swag yet? It seems a while since they said they were sending stuff out.

EDIT: I should just check the site. Still mailing things out, apparently.

And Tom is awesome at the moment. The last few shows have been brilliant.

What premiums are you waiting on, if I may ask? Bryce's is the only one not to come in yet, and there were only three boxes of stuff left when I was there last Tuesday. I can have a word if I'm in there this week?

Famous Mortimer

I actually have the letter sat here.

Garden State sticker
Woof-Moo t-shirt
Locked Groove LP
Liz's CD
Talk's Cheap CD
Brian's mp3 CD
Irwin's CD
Seven Second Delay plate
Cherry Blossom Pack mens t-shirt
Jesse's CD
Glen Campbell

That's my list of prizes - oh, and a WFMU clock from the Prize Warehouse.

wheatgod

My swag is on its way, I can feel it.

Where am I going to put the plate? It can't be on display as I don't want visitors to think I am a spaz.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: wheatgod on August 17, 2009, 06:09:02 PM
My swag is on its way, I can feel it.

You feel correctly.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 17, 2009, 05:15:43 PM
I actually have the letter sat here.
That's my list of prizes - oh, and a WFMU clock from the Prize Warehouse.

And yours as well. Both most likely sent out last week apparently.

wheatgod