Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:26:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scharpling & Wurster / The Best Show On WFMU

Started by Paaaaul, July 13, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

I heard one of his calls earlier! Though Tom didn't seem too pleased with it that time round. I blame Spike

Little Hoover

It seemed Tom led him on to talk about it but was then unenthused at having to do it again. You couldn't have won either way. Anyway I would'nt take it too seriously just have something else prepared next time.

Little Hoover

vrailaine

Listened to the last two full shows, enjoyed the maron interview talking about episodes of wtf which he didn't enjoy and all, not quite into the calls yet but I'm getting there.

Is it difficult to get your call onto the show?

Custard

What did y'all think of the Zach Galifianakis appearance on this week's show? Found it weirdly stilted myself. The chat with Tom never really flowed, and wasn't very funny either sadly. Thought it'd be a lot better. Did like
Spoiler alert
the Cape Fear bit, though
[close]

Spike abused early on, too. heh

Last week's with Marc Maron was very entertaining, though. Loved his ex workmate ringing in to have a go at him!

Jim Jarmusch

I haven't been able to make it through a full show for a few weeks now.

Spoiler alert
I don't like the new intro. At all.
[close]

Crabwalk

Paaaaul

Quote from: Shameless on June 10, 2011, 07:05:35 PM
What did y'all think of the Zach Galifianakis appearance on this week's show? Found it weirdly stilted myself. The chat with Tom never really flowed, and wasn't very funny either sadly. Thought it'd be a lot better. Did like
Spoiler alert
the Cape Fear bit, though
[close]

Spike abused early on, too. heh

Last week's with Marc Maron was very entertaining, though. Loved his ex workmate ringing in to have a go at him!

Zach G and Todd Barry are rarely amusing or that interesting when they are on. They're not great improvisers and don't run with Tom's scenarios, like Paul F Tompkins and Patton Oswalt will, and only really go on and fill 30 minutes of Tom's show to make sure they get 5 minutes of promotion for their latest ventures.

wheatgod

Quote from: Paaaaul on June 11, 2011, 09:43:45 AM
Zach G and Todd Barry are rarely amusing or that interesting when they are on. They're not great improvisers and don't run with Tom's scenarios, like Paul F Tompkins and Patton Oswalt will, and only really go on and fill 30 minutes of Tom's show to make sure they get 5 minutes of promotion for their latest ventures.

I've also found Zach G's previous appearances quite stilted, including his in studio appearance. Do like the recurring Mike/party anecdote though. I think on this occasion Tom wasn't helping - he was pretty much saying that Hangover 2 is garbage, and everyone seeing it is a thicko who doesn't deserve to live. What was Zach meant to do?

Custard

Glad it wasn't just me then! Seemed really stilted, and as said, Tom's total disdain for the film constantly shone through the cracks of the otherwise boring as hell segment

Btw, saw earlier that yer Hangover II currently has 35% on Rotten Tomatoes, with virtually everyone shitting all over it. Had no idea it was doing that badly. One to watch on DVD on a wet Tuesday night in about 5 years time, then. Not that I was overly excited to see it beforehand, but I did enjoy the first one for the most part. Bridesmaids is looking slightly more appealing at the moment. Getting great reviews that.

Decent Gems podcast this week, with Wurster's Linus the blogger. Some ace lines throughout, and I well laughed so I did. What a highlight of the week these have become. It's great now, cos one of my best mates now listens, after I recommended them to him. So I've even got someone to discuss the latest episodes with in person. Marvellous! Dunno if he's listening to the full shows yet, mind. Will have to mention them when I see him later this week

"Wait........... WHAAAAAATTTTTT??!!" is fast becoming a meme round our way. heh

actwithoutwords

Knee surgery this morning, boo. Arriving home to find my Best Show DVD has arrived, YAY.

Paaaaul

Quote from: actwithoutwords on June 20, 2011, 11:47:05 PM
Knee surgery this morning, boo. Arriving home to find my Best Show DVD has arrived, YAY.

Ooh - I'm excited now they've hit Europe. I'm also desperate for new WFMU T-shirts as my wardrobe is started to look bare and I think I'll have 3 or 4 coming with the Best Show stuff.

McQ

Quote from: actwithoutwords on June 20, 2011, 11:47:05 PM

This is very exciting. The DVD is getting excellent notices on Twitter at the moment. So far all I've had is my glow-in-the-dark map of New Jersey, but unfortunately it doesn't really glow in the dark properly. A quarter of it does, but the paint must have worn off on the rest, I suppose. Anyone else have that problem? I'll have to get onto Joe McGasko. It's a beautiful poster, aside from that! I'm still patiently awaiting my Seven Second Delay presents Ken and Andy's Great Comedy Covers CD and Ken's Fitness DVD from last year as well, but the last I heard, they hadn't been recorded yet! Ho-hum.

Famous Mortimer

I have a Best Show DVD as well, along with the card set and a big ol' sticker.

Problem is, I'm not the fan of the show I once was, so the first person to PM me a screencap of them donating some coin to WFMU, the best radio station in the world, will get them from me, for nothing (extra).

actwithoutwords

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 21, 2011, 12:49:16 PM
Problem is, I'm not the fan of the show I once was.

Have you listened to Tom on WTF recently? Might be worth a listen. I think it touched on some of the things that seemed to be annoying you about him.

DVD has been lovely so far. It's great to see Jon and Tom together on screen. Several of the pieces have a similar long-form slow burn appeal to the calls. The Ted Leo songwriting session is great.

Famous Mortimer

I'll certainly give it a go. I'm in a mood to revisit my opinions on things.

Custard

Thought someone might get as much of a kick out of this as I have.

Found an in-depth interview with Scharpling & Wurster on Soulseek of all places, by aspecialthing.com

Really interesting stuff about how they got started, the characters, the corpsing etc. Really good

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m2ybgf

Paaaaul

You can find a bunch of interviews, including that one, and a huge archive of the podcast at:-

http://awfulsome.com/tbsowfmu/.getoffmyphone/

Paaaaul

I was very excited to see a WFMU envelope on my doormat when I got home from work.
Was less excited when I opened it and found only a map of New Jersey.

I think I was being optimistic to think that 4 T-shirts, 1 DVD and a couple of CDs could have fitted in that flat A4 envelope.

To those who already have the DVD, how good is it?

First of all, thanks for that archive link.

Second of all, the DVD is great fun. I've not seen any of their previous ones but really enjoyed what I've had time to watch of this. Big thanks again to my main man, FM. WFMU didn't lose either, two donations for the price of one (DVD).

Paaaaul

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 04, 2011, 09:09:04 PM
First of all, thanks for that archive link.

Second of all, the DVD is great fun. I've not seen any of their previous ones but really enjoyed what I've had time to watch of this. Big thanks again to my main man, FM. WFMU didn't lose either, two donations for the price of one (DVD).

It's the only DVD they've done. Most of the Best Show premiums before this have been CDs and T Shirts.

wheatgod

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 04, 2011, 09:09:04 PM

Bosty - how about THREE donations for the price of one? I'll donate either for rental or a full on poi-chase.

actwithoutwords

TRACK JACKET CHAT

I got my main package today actually. The letter with the Jersey poster, which is great, and a lovely package of 3 t-shirts and 1 CD premium. Best Show premium backordered again, which is a pity. But I'm sure this one won't be quite so long.

McQ

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 03, 2011, 02:32:29 PM
You can find a bunch of interviews, including that one, and a huge archive of the podcast at:-

http://awfulsome.com/tbsowfmu/.getoffmyphone/

Wow! Thanks for that! You don't happen to know of a similar resource for Seven Second Delay, do you? The archives are great, but they're no good if you want to go on a podcast walk, like I do.

Paaaaul

Check your PMs.
Just realised that Seven Second Delay celebrates its 20th anniversary next month.

Paaaaul

I shoulda kept my mouth shut for one more day.

Got two WFMU packages today - one full of T-shirts and one full of Best Show DVD et al!

I don't know how often the Seven Second Delay T-shirt is going to be of use in darkest Norfolk though...

Little Hoover

When I went to a Mountain Goats gig recently, I was wearing a WFMU T-shirt. I was stood on a balcony just above the sound desk, I don't think they could have made it out but as they were walking off stage at the end the end John Darnielle pointed in the direction of me or the sound desk and shouted something off mic and I thought I heard the word "show."

wheatgod

Quote from: Little Hoover on July 05, 2011, 06:16:05 PM
When I went to a Mountain Goats gig recently, I was wearing a WFMU T-shirt. I was stood on a balcony just above the sound desk, I don't think they could have made it out but as they were walking off stage at the end the end John Darnielle pointed in the direction of me or the sound desk and shouted something off mic and I thought I heard the word "show."

:')

Custard

I know I'm probably being a bit of a wally here, but where can I order the DVD from?

Couldn't find it on their website or Stereo Laffs!

Am I going blind or wha?