Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scharpling & Wurster / The Best Show On WFMU

Started by Paaaaul, July 13, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCBillington

I got the premium a couple of weeks ago, but since I only got the Best Show premium, it wasn't held up. The RAM tribute is fantastic, BTW.

There has been a Best Show discussion here before, since thats where I first heard about it, about 18 months ago. (Someone here did me a load of stuff, I forget who but THANKS!). I think it was in either a Monk or Podcast thread.

It took me about 5-6 episodes to really get into it, but now the full 3 hours is the highlight of my week. Ive even started through the archives in order, though I'm only up to April 2001.

actwithoutwords

I was at 7SD live this evening. Best of the three I've been to I think. The parrot section was great (Never happened!), as was the Steve Guttenberg interview farce, particularly the moment Breckman realised that the wireless mic could get a signal from the top of the stairs.
Just listening now though, and the sound quality is dire for the first 10 minutes. That's a pity. Presumably caused by that Vic Thrill guy soundchecking in the middle of the fucking show. He was impressively idiotic. Andy's faces are always priceless during the music acts.

"Assbusters 3 makes Assbusters 6 look like Assbusters 4."

Anyway, some crappy photos:

Owen the anti-semitic parrot

Steve Guttenberg interview relay

Post-show melée

Andy Breckman standing with a cardboard cut-out of me

djtrees

Wowzers I'm really jealous. That episode had me laughing like a drain the other night, when 7 Second Delay is on form its one of the most amusing things ever. Oh was it a real parrot? It sounded too good to be real on the radio.

Famous Mortimer

I like the UCB shows, and they're certainly a refreshing change, but their ridiculous stunt topics are still my favourite. The one that was repeated recently where all the clocks in the studio were turned off or removed, and the hosts had to guess when the end of the hour was, with help or hindrance from the callers...a very simple little idea, but brilliantly and hilariously executed.

Oh, if you're listening to the Best Show with the Boosh on it, skip forwards about 30 minutes. It gets good then, you get Aimee Mann's advice section, lots of great callers and so on.

Paaaaul

As much as I love seven second delay, I'm always happier when they play an old unearthed show, like the clock one.
That said, wednesday's show was one of my favourites from the last couple of years. Full of great moments.

ajsmith

Anyone familiar with The Dead Milkmen's "Stuart"?

Famous Mortimer

Package arrived!! No clock, sadly, but I did get the awesome awesome plate:

actwithoutwords

My lunch today. Philly stoyle:

Unfortunately not from a Wawa though.

Jersey stinks!

actwithoutwords

Bump as a reminder for this, starting on Tuesday:

http://www.wfmu.org/marathon/index.shtml

It's been on the cards since the summer, they are quite disappointed to have to try and raise money at this time of year, but needs must. New Best Show premium seems especially nice.

Paaaaul, I don't suppose you know where one could get any more Wurster mp3's? I've gone through all the ones you uploaded, all the S&W albums (multiple times) and Best Show Gems. I think Scharpling and Wurster are pretty much my favourite comedy thing at the moment.

Paaaaul

Quote from: actwithoutwords on November 15, 2009, 08:28:27 PM

Paaaaul, I don't suppose you know where one could get any more Wurster mp3's? I've gone through all the ones you uploaded, all the S&W albums (multiple times) and Best Show Gems. I think Scharpling and Wurster are pretty much my favourite comedy thing at the moment.

4 calls from Marky Ramone, and 4 calls from Zachary Brimstead - enjoy

I downloaded some of these ages ago but never got round to listening properly. That HutPod call was really really funny, not just the gradual reveal, just the interplay, I couldn't wait for the next line. Magic stuff.

Nice one, Paaaaul.

Paaaaul

I've just sent WFMU some money - I was moving house during the last marathon and couldn't afford to. Thankfully some of the premiums from earlier this year are still available so I can get all of the 2009 Best Show CDs, but not that great Woof-Moo T-shirt.

There is a great solo Wurster interview from a few months ago at http://awfulsome.com/tbsowfmu/.getoffmyphone/
from a show called "Am I Right?". He seems to get a bit nervous halfway through it, having revealed too much about the creative process, but relaxes after that and the second half is pretty funny with some interesting stuff about a future S&W project.

actwithoutwords

I reckon you could get a Woof Moo t-shirt instead of the new one if you give Joe McGasko an email. They are pretty helpful about things like that.

I ended up listening to the full S&W AST Radio interview from that website last night. Here.
Wonderful stuff really, and a great insight into their relationship. I wonder what came of the TV pitching they were doing?

Look forward to listening to the Wurster solo interview. There was a Village Voice interview with Tom a month or two ago where he mentioned a new S&W CD of new, specially recorded material in the new year.

Paaaaul

Quote from: actwithoutwords on November 16, 2009, 01:35:34 PM
I reckon you could get a Woof Moo t-shirt instead of the new one if you give Joe McGasko an email. They are pretty helpful about things like that.

Did that and just got an email back from Joe McGasko saying that it would be fine.
Cheers!

Paaaaul

Here's a classic Seven Second Delay show stream on the WFMU site, but unlisted on the archives page.

Naked Bigot Ambush from October, 2000 - the stream is of the May 29, 2002 replay of the episode, hence the Ken intro.

edit - bugger, it's an ace show but the last 12 minutes are missing...

Paaaaul

Quote from: Paaaaul on November 27, 2009, 09:56:59 PM
Here's a classic Seven Second Delay show stream on the WFMU site, but unlisted on the archives page.

Naked Bigot Ambush from October, 2000 - the stream is of the May 29, 2002 replay of the episode, hence the Ken intro.

edit - bugger, it's an ace show but the last 12 minutes are missing...

I found this as part of my recent hunting down of 7SD episodes unlisted or without RealAudio links on the WFMU website.
I've managed to get quite a lot of them and, if there's any demand, I'll upload mp3s of them.
Requests accepted

actwithoutwords

Second Best Show Marathon show this evening, with Patton Oswalt and John Hodgman.

http://www.wfmu.org/marathon

SOME WILL BURN, ALL WILL PAY

Best Show premium sounds amazing once again. A DVD!

Quote from: ScharplingThe Best Show On WFMU 2010 CHUMP STEAMROLLER FUN PACK.

The first item in the Fun Pack is the first ever BEST SHOW ON WFMU DVD! It's a full-length DVD called FANTASIA IN BEST SHOW MINOR, and it's going to be amazing. It features stuff you're never going to believe. Here are some of the people who are going to be involved in the DVD:

PATTON OSWALT   TED LEO    PAUL F. TOMPKINS   ZACH GALIFIANAKIS    FUCKED UP   TIM AND ERIC    JOHN HODGMAN    AIMEE MANN    SCHARPLING AND WURSTER    YO LA TENGO    KURT VILE    MATT FRACTION    TODD BARRY    JASON WOLINER

And SO MANY MORE. There's going to be puppets. Animation. Scharpling and Wurster stuff like you've never seen before. Travelogues from callers like Fredericks from New Port Richie, Julie from Cincinnati, AP Mike and more! Seriously - there are so many people working so hard on this thing. It's gonna be legendary. And when the marathon is over, this thing is COMPLETELY UNVAILABLE.

The second part of the Chump Steamroller Fun Pack is a set of BEST SHOW TRADING CARDS depicting your favorite callers and characters from the show. They are being designed by Chris Moses and Joe Allen - two guys who have done amazing jobs with previous Best Show projects - and they are outdoing themselves on this! We're lining up artists - for starters Michael Kupperman, Danny Hellman, Evan Dorkin and Brian Musikoff are on board - and they gonna be jaw droppingly great. And again, these cards will be GONE FOREVER if you don't pledge DURING MY MARATHON SHOWS!

Last but not least, the first ever BEST SHOW BUMPER STICKER. Also awesome and also available ONLY BY PLEDGING DURING MY MARATHON SHOWS.

Once the marathon is over, THEY ARE GONE FOREVER.

Paaaaul

Quote from: actwithoutwords on March 10, 2010, 12:29:04 AM
Second Best Show Marathon show this evening, with Patton Oswalt and John Hodgman.

http://www.wfmu.org/marathon

SOME WILL BURN, ALL WILL PAY

Best Show premium sounds amazing once again. A DVD!

That premium seems to have done the trick. $160,000 raised over Tom's two shows

Nik Drou

I was up listening until about 3:30am last night.  After this and his 'Gathering of the Juggalos' bit with Paul F Tompkins, Tom Scharpling has become one of my favourite hosts.

If anyone has an mp3 of that Juggalos commentary, could they please PM me?  I can't find mine.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Nik Drou on March 10, 2010, 02:26:30 PM
I was up listening until about 3:30am last night.  After this and his 'Gathering of the Juggalos' bit with Paul F Tompkins, Tom Scharpling has become one of my favourite hosts.

If anyone has an mp3 of that Juggalos commentary, could they please PM me?  I can't find mine.
I think this is what you want

http://awfulsome.com/tbsowfmu/.getoffmyphone/bs090721p.mp3

Tiny Poster

Paul F. Tompkins is gold whenever he appears on podcasts/radio shows. I find them funnier than his actual stand-up.

Paaaaul

Just listening to last night's show.

Tom got excited by my pledge as it came from Norwich.
"Travel Tavern!"

actwithoutwords

I was actually too exhausted last night and fell asleep within about 15 minutes before I'd got around to pledging. Sounds like it didn't make too much of a dent in their figures. On the bright side it means that I got to soak Andy Breckman this evening. Plus my accompanying weak gag just got a laugh out of Andy, woo.

actwithoutwords

Looks like they're not podcasting or archiving tonight's show, but in case anyone is interested Andy's cellphone number is: (201)4040113
I've been sexting him for the last 15 minutes.

Paaaaul

Quote from: actwithoutwords on March 11, 2010, 12:03:44 AM
Looks like they're not podcasting or archiving tonight's show, but in case anyone is interested Andy's cellphone number is: (201)4040113
I've been sexting him for the last 15 minutes.

Bugger - it's the first 7SD show I haven't listened to live in ages.
I would be surprised if it wasn't podcast though.  The waterboarding one got podcast didn't it?
I'll text Andy as a petition until it's up on the site.

edit - if they don't put the show up because of Andy's telephone number, they should be aware that it's been read out numerous times before and is available unedited on at least 3 other archived shows at WFMU.org.

Paaaaul

Is it just me, or have the last few shows been horrible?

actwithoutwords

Quote from: Paaaaul on May 05, 2010, 11:42:09 AM
Is it just me, or have the last few shows been horrible?

Oh really? In what way?
I'm on an old computer at the moment and podcast downloading is messy for no good reason so haven't been listening.

Paaaaul

Quote from: actwithoutwords on May 05, 2010, 12:29:26 PM
Oh really? In what way?
I'm on an old computer at the moment and podcast downloading is messy for no good reason so haven't been listening.

He's done a couple of shows that have been only callers which have been fairly dull.
Last night's show had a brief, and not very good, Philly Boy Roy call, some dull calls, an awkward plugging interview with the Aqua Teen guys, a dull interview with Michael Kupperman...and there I fell asleep. I'll try and listen to the rest of the show later today.

The couple of Mike & Therese stand-in shows that have replaced The Best Show over the last few weeks have been truly horrible.

Dull.

edit - the show descriptions on here are fairly apt http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/BS