Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:48:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scharpling & Wurster / The Best Show On WFMU

Started by Paaaaul, July 13, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Paaaaul on May 05, 2010, 12:37:34 PM
He's done a couple of shows that have been only callers which have been fairly dull.
Last night's show had a brief, and not very good, Philly Boy Roy call, some dull calls, an awkward plugging interview with the Aqua Teen guys, a dull interview with Michael Kupperman...and there I fell asleep. I'll try and listen to the rest of the show later today.

The couple of Mike & Therese stand-in shows that have replaced The Best Show over the last few weeks have been truly horrible.

Dull.

edit - the show descriptions on here are fairly apt http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/BS

Hmm, I find Tom entertaining to listen to pretty much all the time I have to say. Sure there are slow moments, but he's got a lot to contend with, filling 3-hours a week almost every week has got to take its toll on you after 9 years? Surely you enjoyed the March 23rd show with the owner of the pizzeria and the celebrity endorsements? Anyway, I couldn't imagine listening to a 'horrible' Best Show with Tom at the helm, he's one of the funniest Americans people I know of right now. Out of everybody.

Paaaaul

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 05, 2010, 01:05:49 PM
Hmm, I find Tom entertaining to listen to pretty much all the time I have to say. Sure there are slow moments, but he's got a lot to contend with, filling 3-hours a week almost every week has got to take its toll on you after 9 years? Surely you enjoyed the March 23rd show with the owner of the pizzeria and the celebrity endorsements? Anyway, I couldn't imagine listening to a 'horrible' Best Show with Tom at the helm, he's one of the funniest Americans people I know of right now. Out of everybody.

Yep- that was a good show, but I haven't enjoyed any since. It's probably got a lot to do with Jon W having been in Oceania for the last month. Tom can often hold a crap show together, but a couple of the recent ones he's seemed like a passenger just doing the minimum to get through the show.

Bad Cabin

Quote from: Paaaaul on May 05, 2010, 11:42:09 AM
Is it just me, or have the last few shows been horrible?
Funnily enough, I've only been listening (via the full show podcasts) since the celebrity endorsements/Pizza Warehouse show, and I haven't been bored for a second. It's not out of the question that I'm still thrilled by the mere idea of the Best Show at this early stage, but still: you're telling me it's usually much better than even this? If that incredible Death Wish 3 recap represents some sort of low point then I'm really going to have to start digging through the archives.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Bad Cabin on May 06, 2010, 07:19:08 AM
Funnily enough, I've only been listening (via the full show podcasts) since the celebrity endorsements/Pizza Warehouse show, and I haven't been bored for a second. It's not out of the question that I'm still thrilled by the mere idea of the Best Show at this early stage, but still: you're telling me it's usually much better than even this? If that incredible Death Wish 3 recap represents some sort of low point then I'm really going to have to start digging through the archives.

The Death Wish stuff was funny the first time I heard it, but that was 3 or 4 months ago, and he got dragged back into it somehow in that recent show.

If you haven't listened to the Best Show Gems podcast yet, you've got a treat a-comin'. That's all grade A stuff.

February 9, 2010: A Six Hour Tom's Birthday Extravaganza! PATTON OSWALT. ZACH GALIFIANAKIS. PAUL F TOMPKINS. JOHN HODGMAN. TOM'S DADDY. THE DEBUT OF A NEW SONG BY TED LEO WRITTEN FOR TOM. And More? Yes, More!
- that's probably the best Best Show of recent months. Lots of stuff to keep Tom excited, and all of the guests are funny,likeable and obviously have chemistry with him. Except his daddy.

Paaaaul

I thought last night's episode was back up to scratch - great stuff.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on June 02, 2010, 10:41:55 AM
http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=35990&archive=61108&starttime=0:07:30

Peter Choyce - "Kicking Against the Door".

I haven't listened to that yet, but it's always worth listening to the podcast version of TMI as it is usually an uncut version of the broadcast version.

"Kicking Against The Pricks"

http://podcast.wfmu.org/TI/ti100531p.mp3

Paaaaul

Just listened to the first hour of this week's show and it made me laugh harder than anything else has in months.

Quote from: Paaaaul on June 16, 2010, 04:53:14 PM
Just listened to the first hour of this week's show and it made me laugh harder than anything else has in months.

A decent show with some great calls (maybe my favourite moment with Milo yet, even though they were a little mean), but MAN I really can't stand some of Tom's mates/guests. Hover below for a mini-rant.

Spoiler alert
Paul F Tompkins, who is the guest on the show you're referring to here, is so easily reduced to a laughing fit it gets to be a real headache- not to mention his mimicking Tom's shtick (I can't be the only one who thinks this). He doesn't seem to have any kind of singular comedic voice at all. John Hodgman is the only one I can sort of handle but he's barely on any way.

When Zach Galifianakis was on a about a month ago he just about killed my previous liking for him... he just sounded completely worn out (possibly from all the films) and unfunny. He tries to go for this kind of aloof style but completely fucks it up by cracking up at his own gags... and he fakes improvisation which is one of the worst things in the world. He also stepped all over Wurster's shtick when he arrived which is unforgivable. I do still love his involvement in T&EASGJ! though...
[close]

Paaaaul

Probably not worth it's own thread, but Paul F Tompkins' podcast that he's been threatening for months, Pod F Tompkast, is now available

http://pft.libsyn.com/rss

It's not great, but it's got a nice mix of stuff which could be good if he works at it (and bins the stuff like the Jen Kirkman chat)
Not recommended for clingfilm portent

Famous Mortimer

Sometime around a year ago, Scharpling seemingly discovered internet critics and began railing against the "haters". I sent him an email, as a donor to every WFMU appeal for years, that as a producer for a hugely popular TV show and excellent radio DJ, he should give less of a damn about what random joes off the internet thought of him. He did go as far as ignoring me, but sadly no further. It still has its good moments, but it's nowhere near as good as it used to be.

actwithoutwords

Could anyone who has been listening recently summarise what's up with Tom? He seems pretty pissed off on facebook and has taken off the last 3 weeks in a row. Best Show is still on the new schedule, but any ideas what's wrong?

EDIT: Just listening to the last episode before the break, not very pleasant listening.

Paaaaul

Yep. The preceding shows have a bit of grimness to them, but that last one was the first time I really believed he was pissed off and I didn't think at the time that he would be back on in a hurry.The replacement shows have been better than the previous occasional fill-ins though. Is it a coincidence that Tom has been off so much over the last few months while Jon W has been so busy with his bands?

vrailaine

That Mr Loophole thing was fantastic, where should I go next with these?

Famous Mortimer

They've done a bunch of CDs which have their best calls on them, and are pretty decent. If you donate to WFMU, you can get Scharpling's bonus stuff as a thank-you.

vrailaine

Are the CDs credited to "Scharpling & Wurster" or the Best Show On WFMU?

actwithoutwords sent me some links before to more Best Show stuff. I too loved that Mr. Loophole call. If you can find it on their site, check out the HutPod one, it's amazing. Slow-burn, cumulative hysterics.

I have to share this one with you though, just listened to it, in agonizing tears of laughter. I won't spoil anything for you, it's pretty much all great but the section about the lyrics just did for me, even when I rewound it straight away. The essence of comic character and language, right here. Perfect.

The Gas Station Dogs: http://www.mediafire.com/?7upz2g6romba9d3

Paaaaul

Quote from: vrailaine on September 30, 2010, 08:30:07 PM
Are the CDs credited to "Scharpling & Wurster" or the Best Show On WFMU?
http://www.stereolaffs.com/

Relatively expensive this side of the pond, but much cheaper if you buy them from a download shop as they tend to only have 6 or 7 long tracks over 2 CDs so are cheap to download.

Hutpod, as TBC mentioned is available here :- http://www.scharplingandwurster.com/?cat=7 along with a bunch of other juicy stuff.

The best place to get S&W stuff at the moment though is their Best Show Gems podcast feed which has 50 odd clips on it, 90% of which are S&W if you haven't listened to them all yet.

edit - and this link is still working - 4 calls from Marky Ramone, and 4 calls from Zachary Brimstead

vrailaine

I've gone through Rock, Rot and Rule, Chain Fights..., New Hope for the Ape-Eared, Hippy Justice and the Art of the Slap in the last week, basically. Pretty brilliant, should I just download all the Wurster call-ins? I think I could relisten to most of them almost immediately.
The hutpod one is probably the best one still, I was crying with laughter at the start of a lecture afterwards... although the
Spoiler alert
skittle
[close]
bit of Andy From Lake Newbridge had the same effect.

Paaaaul

wheatgod

Tom came back. I've not listened to the whole show yet but he still seems a bit cranky.

What's eating him? Joblessness?

Paaaaul

From what he was saying on the show, it sounds like he has a lot on his plate work-wise at the moment, and I imagine that was a large reason for his extended absence.

vrailaine

Quote from: wheatgod on October 23, 2010, 11:33:08 AM
Tom came back. I've not listened to the whole show yet but he still seems a bit cranky.

What's eating him? Joblessness?
Jesus yeah, very cranky, never listened to a show before. Should I just stick to the Jon Wurster phonecalls?

wheatgod

Listen to the first two shows from August. Wurster is in the studio and things are off the hook.

HOGUS.

Jim Jarmusch

This thread is dead when we have someone from CaB calling up.

I know who you are.

Bad Cabin

I called a few times late last year/early this year (the nervous and slightly lost "Paydirt from Tasmania"). But then again, I barely qualify as being "from CaB".

I assume this is noted Guy Ritchie fanatic "George from London" we're talking about?

Paaaaul

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on April 06, 2011, 05:13:47 AM
This thread is dead when we have someone from CaB calling up.

I know who you are.
He has been talking about his pub quizzes in the Comedy Podcasts thread.