Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:26:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scharpling & Wurster / The Best Show On WFMU

Started by Paaaaul, July 13, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

I'm gonna guess that Todd Barry will be on tonight.

Paaaaul

I'm gonna guess that Todd Barry will be on next week.

Penfold

Paaaaul

Penfold

colacentral

I've started uploading full episodes from the beginning to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/bOyOWhZ73rs

It's slow going so I'm only up to episode 8 so far. They're a bit ropey due to being the early days of the show, but I have a few non-archived shows uploaded which might be interesting for fans.

Roy*Mallard

Quote from: Paaaaul on August 16, 2017, 11:59:55 AM
This week's show = NSFW.

Why? (Sorry, waaaay behind listening to the show - keep going back to the WFMU shows - tho current era is equally good).

Paaaaul

Quote from: Roy*Mallard on August 17, 2017, 01:59:31 PM
Why? (Sorry, waaaay behind listening to the show - keep going back to the WFMU shows - tho current era is equally good).
Very sweary. A surprise guest comes on the show and uses more potty mouth language than all the Matt Walsh, Jon Daly and Jonah Ray appearances added up.
Try not to find out who it is, because it is someone who has a long history in Best Show lore but hasn't been on before, and it is quite amazing.

newbridge

My recent binging of the Red Letter Media "Best of the Worst" series on YouTube (despite the occasional detour into online-juvenilia-humour that I could do without) has been redeemed by one of the regulars wearing a Massa's Tavern shirt on the most recent episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1sxc3V0lzQ

colacentral

Especially amazing considering he is perhaps the biggest humour vacuum of the lot.

I got some stuff through the door for donating via Patreon recently - very exciting to think that Tom has written my name on that card (it could equally have been Mike or someone for all I know). It's all going into the box set along side my piece of rock, rot & rule telephone.

Paaaaul

Was she ever this annoying before?
I know she was always annoying, but she's really taking the biscuit this time around.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Paaaaul on April 11, 2018, 02:42:19 PM
I know she was always annoying, but she's really taking the biscuit this time around.

Before I agree with you, are you talking about M.H?

Hank Venture

Quote from: Paaaaul on August 17, 2017, 02:13:51 PM
Very sweary. A surprise guest comes on the show and uses more potty mouth language than all the Matt Walsh, Jon Daly and Jonah Ray appearances added up.
Try not to find out who it is, because it is someone who has a long history in Best Show lore but hasn't been on before, and it is quite amazing.

who was this?

Crabwalk

Quote from: Paaaaul on April 11, 2018, 02:42:19 PM

She wasn't this bad before. Her worst crime toward the end of her time as a frequent caller was having nothing to talk about, which contributed to that regular caller ban that Tom temporarily imposed. Also, she was pretty humourless and douchey on her phone date with Larry the Perve (dere).

Paaaaul

Around the time of the caller ban, she was on an episode of Seven Second Delay which ended up with the presenters asking their listeners to murder her. I think that was the end of her love affair with WFMU. I haven't heard her call any shows on there since.

colacentral

My one big issue with The Best Show has always been Tom's willingness to hand over a big portion of the show to boring narcissistic regulars. He has kicked back a few times, like the example given above with the regular caller ban, but not enough for me. It's weird because there are alot of other boring non-regulars who he'd GOMP without a second thought. I appreciate that some of these people will be people he's met in real life, people who have helped the show / WFMU etc, but as a listening experience it can be painful.

I'm really not a fan of the southern guy - can't remember his name but he sounds like Vince Gilligan. He's alright sometimes but he's not worthy of the 20 minute calls he frequently gets (or used to get - I haven't been able to keep up with the show much in the podcast era so no idea if he still gets that much air time).

Crabwalk

^ Jason from Huntsville, Alabama? I really like him, but he doesn't call much anymore.

I enjoy Avalanche Bob steamrollering and exasperating Tom, but am glad he's been put on hiatus.

sevendaughters

not listened for a while but I used enjoy Dave From Knoxville, Fredericks from New Port Richey, and Greggulator (he's on a wrestling forum I look in on). Follow Jason from Huntsville on twitter, nice guy.

Paaaaul

Jason calls maybe twice a year at the moment, same with Greggulator. I think Fredericks has called the new show once and I can't remember Dave from Knoxville calling at all post-WFMU.

colacentral

Yeah, don't get me wrong, they all sound like good people, but from an entertainment perspective I could always do with less of them. I tend to prefer the "bad" callers: Spike, Shop for a Coffin, etc.

By the way, I posted in this thread a while ago about starting to upload Best Show clips to YT, mostly non-released S&W calls. Since then I've uploaded alot more stuff, in case anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/user/colacentral

sevendaughters

Quote from: colacentral on April 25, 2018, 03:36:49 PM
Yeah, don't get me wrong, they all sound like good people, but from an entertainment perspective I could always do with less of them. I tend to prefer the "bad" callers: Spike, Shop for a Coffin, etc.

By the way, I posted in this thread a while ago about starting to upload Best Show clips to YT, mostly non-released S&W calls. Since then I've uploaded alot more stuff, in case anyone's interested:

nice, think i've seen your channel before while looking for clips.

Spike is my all-time favourite, definitely, maybe I stopped listening after the whole Weirdos Exposed thing was resolved, it was so perfect, long-form at its peak. There's also a call where Tom convinces him that there's a show on VH1 called America's Next Del Viking that still stops me in my tracks when I think about it.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: colacentral on April 25, 2018, 03:36:49 PM

Happened by your treasure trove while seeking to feed my Heidecker/Turkington jones - nice work. Keep 'em coming.

Mobius

^ Awesome work man. I'm often disappointed by the lack of Best Show stuff on Youtube.

I've only really listened to the Best Show Gems (which are brilliant) so will definitely be checking out your channel.

sevendaughters

just listening to some of the Mit Hamine calls. fucking hell that guy.

Tairy_Green

Quote from: colacentral on April 24, 2018, 07:45:27 PM
My one big issue with The Best Show has always been Tom's willingness to hand over a big portion of the show to boring narcissistic regulars.

Current main offender: Cat from Raleigh. Although they've been quiet for a few weeks.