Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scharpling & Wurster / The Best Show On WFMU

Started by Paaaaul, July 13, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 01, 2019, 01:38:48 AM
I also remember Angus, he had a good knowledge of comedy and I assumed he was a CABer. Don't recall hearing any of DCT's calls although it was great when Tom appeared on Podpit a few years ago.

Thank you! I'd love to do more of those interviews. All ten shows (guests are Kliph Nesteroff, Dave Anthony, Scott Aukerman, Janie Haddad Tompkins, Matt Gourley, Erin McGathy, Tom Scharpling, Jimmy Pardo, Cecil Baldwin and Todd Glass) can be heard here.

Dusty Substance

peanutbutter

Anyone listen to meet my friends the friends from friends?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 31, 2019, 09:30:16 PM
Anyone listen to meet my friends the friends from friends?

I tried to get into it but it didn't do much for me. I probably need to give it another go and binge on a whole bunch in one sitting.

Pat and Dudio did their own podcast on The Best Show patreon about Quantum Leap, but it wasn't great.

One of the best of the Patreon stuff (other than an AMA type podcast with Scharpling & Wurster) was a show called Strange Requests where callers would request songs, clips, old bits of audio etc. and Pat and Mike play them over the top of each other - A bit like an hour long live sound collage.

Tairy_Green

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 06, 2019, 01:14:51 AM
Pat and Dudio did their own podcast on The Best Show patreon about Quantum Leap, but it wasn't great.

This is a part of the Meet My Friends The Friends narrative - without the context, it must be pretty weird!

Crabwalk

Sad news. Avalanche Bob has passed away according to the Best Show twitter account. I know he could be exasperating at times but he seemed a sweet soul underneath the indefatigable self-promotion, and he'll be missed.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 21, 2019, 10:10:51 PM
Sad news. Avalanche Bob has passed away according to the Best Show twitter account. I know he could be exasperating at times but he seemed a sweet soul underneath the indefatigable self-promotion, and he'll be missed.

Genuinely sad news about Avalanche Bob. Gonna miss those calls. He had an unknowing knack of winding up Tom by speaking over him. There's been a really lovely sharing of grief on Twitter from Tom, Mike, Pat and Dudio.

Dusty Substance

Latest Best Show is a two hour tribute to Avalanche Bob.

Crabwalk

The new episode features Nathan Fielder in studio, and it's probably the funniest show since the PFT days. Not many calls, but a LOT of talk about air hockey, The Irishman and donut eating. It's absolutely brilliant.

McQ

Quote from: Crabwalk on December 06, 2019, 08:52:46 AM
The new episode features Nathan Fielder in studio, and it's probably the funniest show since the PFT days. Not many calls, but a LOT of talk about air hockey, The Irishman and donut eating. It's absolutely brilliant.

It was truly great. It's also got me speculating as to whether Tom and Nathan are working on something together and that's why he's been in Lipstick City for so long.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: McQ on December 06, 2019, 09:02:35 AM
It was truly great. It's also got me speculating as to whether Tom and Nathan are working on something together and that's why he's been in Lipstick City for so long.

If that's so, let's hope it doesn't go the way of the PFT collaboration (and friendship).

No offense to Tom, love the show, but is he really even fit to carry Nathan's jockstrap?

Fielder-Morris, maybe. Fielder-Scharpling?

Hank Venture

Quote from: Crabwalk on December 06, 2019, 08:52:46 AM

Is this available for free?

colacentral

There has been a bit of discussion about Tom's Kevin Smith rant in the Jay & Silent Bob thread. Thought it would be better to bump this than keep derailing that.

Quote from: Default to the negative on January 23, 2020, 09:11:18 PM
I'm new to The Best Show, never heard of it until yesterday. Anyone care to recommend a top ten (or however many) list of best episodes/bits?

Some more clips in the same vein as Kevin Smith & Juggalos:

Billy Crystal's Jazz Man

https://youtu.be/RIJ53t7Pgag

Ringo Starr

https://youtu.be/8d1iSO_4_0w

Mike Francesca talks about the Foo Fighters

https://youtu.be/K4SNLRATcM8

-------

The other mode of the show is the scripted comedy bits with Jon Wurster. Tom is essentially the straight man in these bits. They're a bit different from the above clips, they're often slow burns too and the payoff won't be immediately clear. They can last up to an hour, usually more like 30 minutes. Some of my favourites:

The Gorch

https://youtu.be/DZi8sPiEqyI

Michael Jackson reinvents himself as the Prince of Punk

https://youtu.be/T-QjtiUZlpk

And a follow-up to the juggalos bit

https://youtu.be/tmKH2brlEdw

There's lots more, that's less than the tip of the ice berg. You could go down a rabbit hole of just Tom talking to regular caller Spike, but I think you need a bit of show knowledge to get the most out of that.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: colacentral on January 23, 2020, 10:44:12 PM
And a follow-up to the juggalos bit

https://youtu.be/tmKH2brlEdw

Funnily enough, this call popped into my head last night.  It's one of my favourite Wurster calls, next to the Jimmy Crespo and Mike Sajak ones.

"There's something wrong with his hands...they're not there any more."

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Epic Bisto on February 23, 2020, 06:41:12 PM
It's one of my favourite Wurster calls, next to the Jimmy Crespo.....

The Jimmy Crespo one is especially good as it was done completely on the fly with no script and both Scharpling and Wurster manage to keep the call funny without it being mean-spirited or bullying to the young kid on the line.

I suspect Tom is an anti-Sanders liberal (though not quite as unhinged as Klausner), so I was a little worried at the start of this weeks show when he started talking about Chapo and Hands Man, but I must say he threaded the needle well.

colacentral

He always makes fun of how many texts and emails he gets from Bernie Sanders on Twitter, so I'm sure he's a supporter. He's such a purely good hearted person that I wouldn't doubt it.

chveik

Klausner is a Warren-supporting nutcase then. fucks sake

sevendaughters

Klausner is legitimately unhinged politically on Twitter, a total do not follow.

Crabwalk

I will never, ever tire of Tom referring to Brent Daniels/Dinklage. I laugh every single time.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 12, 2020, 10:02:56 PM
I will never, ever tire of Tom referring to Brent Daniels/Dinklage. I laugh every single time.

I very much enjoyed the constant references to the "Carolla Virus" on the most recent episode.

dr_christian_troy

There's a very slight possibility I'll be recording something with Tom again soon. To be confirmed.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on March 21, 2020, 02:39:57 AM
There's a very slight possibility I'll be recording something with Tom again soon. To be confirmed.

Exciting news! Keep us posted DCT.

Crabwalk

Indeed!

Glad Tom has found a viable new format for the show. I hope he can include Wurster and AP Mike too.

That said, Marc Maron is as insufferable as usual on this week's episode. Never funny - never really even trying to be funny. The Best Show is usually bullet-proof, but his relentlessly beige solipsism sinks it.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: chveik on March 23, 2020, 10:51:10 PM
Tom has started a new podcast with Klausner
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/double-threat-with-julie-klausner-tom-scharpling/id1503252863

Listening to it now. The two of them have always worked well together and so far it's great but the section where they listen and criticize other podcasts seems surprisingly mean spirited for Tom. Sure, he has a grumpy persona on TBS but this comes across very much as punching down on those who don't have a 20 year broadcasting career and are just trying to do their thing..... Dunno, I might be wrong.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Julie Klausner call. Probably going to pass on this one.