Author Topic: Scharpling & Wurster / The Best Show On WFMU  (Read 88113 times)

Crabwalk

• I hope you enjoy drinking dirty toilet water.
Re: Scharpling & Wurster / The Best Show On WFMU
« Reply #750 on: January 21, 2021, 11:58:56 PM »
Mike’s suggestions for the list were the highlight of the episode. Was really roaring at that interjection and Tom’s response. Great to have him back (and unrepentantly so it seems, to Tom’s clear annoyance at the end).

« Reply #751 on: January 22, 2021, 02:37:48 AM »
Not as good as I  hoped but for good news for Lisk-heads, Mike is back for the Crabapple special!

I'm back in, baby. Long live the king.

dr_christian_troy

• Golden Member
  • Sapientia Sapienti Dona Data
    • PODNOSE - The UK's Leading Independent Entertainment Podcast Network
« Reply #752 on: January 22, 2021, 05:53:32 PM »
Probably deserves a thread on its own (and apologies if it has already been mentioned), but does anyone else watch The George Lucas Talk Show? Aside from having popped up as a guest a couple of times, he also watches with the audience when the show is live on Twitch on Sundays, and occasionally makes comments that appear on the screen (as "scharpling500").

« Reply #753 on: January 22, 2021, 09:18:02 PM »

Not yet seen The George Lucas Talk Show but have been meaning to since it got mentioned on The Best Show.

I reckon you should start a thread for it as it will act as a reminder for me to watch it :)

Anyone else up to date with Double Threat? It's been my favourite new podcast of the last year and the most recent episode (Oh No, I've Seen Dilbert's Toilet) is in my top three.

« Reply #754 on: January 23, 2021, 06:55:36 PM »

Watched some George Lucas Talk Show last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't really know what to expect and only knew it by name. Very funny, original stuff. Definitely deserving of its own thread.

dr_christian_troy

• Golden Member
« Reply #755 on: January 23, 2021, 09:19:19 PM »
Watched some George Lucas Talk Show last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't really know what to expect and only knew it by name. Very funny, original stuff. Definitely deserving of its own thread.

Glad you enjoyed it! Consider it done.

Crabwalk

« Reply #756 on: February 28, 2021, 06:28:19 PM »
Did anyone else have to rewind to check Wurster's character said what they thought he said in this week's episode?

Hearing Tom's stifled laughter in the background makes me think it was ad libbed. I f'ing lost it too.

Paaaaul

• Thumb off
« Reply #757 on: February 28, 2021, 09:01:28 PM »
I saw Wurster and Mike both referring to something outrageous in the show on Twitter before I listened, so I was kind of prepared and half-expecting *that*. Although it was unexpected, there have been many Scharpling and Wurster convos with fuck-bombs before, such as the Merge Round Table and a bunch of the WFMU premium albums.

Last week's Double Threat is worth your time if you enjoy The George Lucas Talk Show.

« Reply #758 on: March 01, 2021, 11:14:04 AM »
Did anyone else have to rewind to check Wurster's character said what they thought he said in this week's episode?

Hearing Tom's stifled laughter in the background makes me think it was ad libbed. I f'ing lost it too.

Lovely stuff.

I love how a lot of recent Wurster calls have dug deep into the Best Show Universe, with mentions of Quad P, Sheila Larson, Rupert The Manager, "It only aired once" etc.

So happy to have Mike back - Even if it means certain callers won't phone in.

Crabwalk

« Reply #759 on: March 01, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »
I love how a lot of recent Wurster calls have dug deep into the Best Show Universe, with mentions of Quad P, Sheila Larson, Rupert The Manager, "It only aired once" etc.

Yes! Especially loved the Powerpop Pop Pop reference this week.

So happy to have Mike back - Even if it means certain callers won't phone in.]So happy to have Mike back - Even if it means certain callers won't phone in.

Indeed. I've no idea who won't call in now but they've not been missed so far.

dr_christian_troy

• Golden Member
« Reply #760 on: March 03, 2021, 10:53:15 AM »
I called in last night - I rambled a bit (and was nervous for some reason) but I think it went okay.

« Reply #761 on: March 03, 2021, 01:37:11 PM »

Indeed. I've no idea who won't call in now but they've not been missed so far.

Remember Fred from Honolulu? He and Mike had a bust up on the old Best Show Facebook group.

« Reply #762 on: March 04, 2021, 01:20:03 PM »
I signed up to the Patreon just because of the So Far podcast.  I’m only a fan of Y but it’s addictive and absolutely hilarious at points.  Thanks to them I’ve become obsessed with Stills’ atrocious 1984 synth pop album.

« Reply #763 on: April 02, 2021, 09:01:41 PM »

Tom's finished his book and it's out on July 6th.

https://tomwroteabook.com/

He mentioned on the latest show that there will be an audiobook version too but he's not yet recorded it. Very much looking forward to listening to the audiobook. He said it's mostly made up of stories that he's never told on the air before.

All us Best Show/Tom fans had bloody better pay for the thing, after he's given us 20 years of free content!

Listening to the latest show right now. No Pat this week and there's a nice dynamic between Mike and Jason.

Wurster called in earlier than usual (second call, I think), as OG character Darren from Work. I don't know if it's because I've been listening for so long, or if it's down to tech trouble, but Wurster never sounded like he was reading from a script until the last year or so. Maybe I'm imagining it, but there's something off about his calls that was never there in the old days.

Mike continues to be on good form and he's made it clear on Twitter that he's enjoying the new freedom on the show:

https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3A%40APMike%20freedom&src=typed_query&f=live

Whether that means they've relaxed the "No swearing" rule or something else, but it's nice to hear him having fun.

A lot of the old callers have all but stopped calling in and it's mostly to the show's benefit. There was a call a couple of weeks ago from a guy who told a story of  trainhopping, which is the type of call I prefer to hear rather than, say, someone who seems to think being "quirky" is a decent substitute for having a personality or something to say.

Paaaaul

• Thumb off
« Reply #764 on: April 03, 2021, 04:14:17 AM »

Mike continues to be on good form and he's made it clear on Twitter that he's enjoying the new freedom on the show:

https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3A%40APMike%20freedom&src=typed_query&f=live
Whether that means they've relaxed the "No swearing" rule or something else, but it's nice to hear him having fun.
He just posts that whenever Wurster says "fuck". I think he's referring to something he said years ago about how the show might change once they were free from radiio legislation.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #765 on: April 04, 2021, 05:40:38 PM »
Deffo getting Tom's book, and it's already up on Amazon for pre-order

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1419747924/