Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:41:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scharpling & Wurster / The Best Show On WFMU

Started by Paaaaul, July 13, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 18, 2021, 03:36:36 PM
He does admit that him and Terre have split in the book.

Ah, man. That's sad news but explains so much about Tom and what happened to the show in the last year or so.

Thanks for answering. I really need to prioritize getting the audiobook.

peanutbutter

Quote from: wikipedia
Up until mid-2021 Scharpling lived in Woodbridge Township, New Jersey with his wife, fellow WFMU DJ Terre T.[3][20] As of July 2021, he lives in Los Angeles with his current girlfriend Julia Vickerman[21]. He has been a pescatarian since approximately 1994,[22] and almost never consumes alcohol.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGDR568jPie/

Custard

I'd recommend going for the audiobook, as hearing Tom narrate it makes it a lot funnier. Like an especially long Best Show monologue

Paaaaul

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 19, 2021, 04:18:55 PM
I'd recommend going for the audiobook, as hearing Tom narrate it makes it a lot funnier. Like an especially long Best Show monologue
The one time I was really thankful to have listened to the audiobook was when he was doing an impression of Spike.

Crabwalk

And fair play to Tom for keeping to his word and
Spoiler alert
not mentioning the 'Weirdos Exposed'
[close]
saga. He must've been sorely tempted, as that was an absolute Best Show pinnacle as far as I'm concerned.

I'd preordered the book but as it's not yet available over here I caved and got the audiobook off of Audible. Those early chapters are pretty jaw-dropping and are a must read/listen for any long-term fan. The rest of the book is entertaining enough and there are some good stories that I hadn't heard before[nb]'Hey now, you're a Blair Witch' really had me guffawing[/nb], but it's inevitably overshadowed somewhat by 'the revelations'. Hats off to him for sharing what he does, after all this time.

sevendaughters

Weirdos Exposed was a magic that can never be summoned up again, nor articulated how perfect it turned out. You couldn't write it. Trite but true.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 19, 2021, 04:18:55 PM

Finally succumbed and gave money to Amazon for the first time since 2007. Listening to the audiobook now and it is, of course, brilliant. Really wasn't prepared for the story of Tom getting
Spoiler alert
electro convulsive therapy
[close]
as a teen.

Dusty Substance

Binge listened to the whole thing in less that 18 hours. What a treat it was too! So much to love, so many unexpected stories and confessions (the biggest being
Spoiler alert
his real name!
[close]

Even though he's touched upon in it other interviews before, it was interesting to hear how and Wurster met and how their writing process operates.

Was surprised to hear him saying so many nice things about
Spoiler alert
Tony Shalhoub
[close]
as I must have incorrectly read between the lines whenever he's been mentioned on the radio show before and had concluded that he wasn't a good guy. Pretty sure I know which
Spoiler alert
Monk co-star was greeted with a shit on a plate in their trailer
[close]

So glad I finally listened to the audiobook, even if it meant giving Jeff Bezos a few quid for his next trek into outer space.

Can't wait to listen to it all over again!

ramsobot

Hope it's okay to mention this, but I recently had Tom on my podcast, If You're Listening.

The short pitch: I didn't listen to much music growing up so each week my co-host Heather and a guest introduce me to a favorite album of theirs. Tom brought us George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. And, for those of you who read Tom's book, we get the family Secret Santa scoop!

(And if you dig this one, we've also recently had Jason "Dudio" Gore on, as well as fellow C&B thread-haver, Connor Ratliff! And a bunch of other great folks like John Flansburgh and Paul Rust!)

Dusty Substance

Quote from: ramsobot on August 30, 2021, 06:38:45 PM
Hope it's okay to mention this, but I recently had Tom on my podcast, If You're Listening.

The short pitch: I didn't listen to much music growing up so each week my co-host Heather and a guest introduce me to a favorite album of theirs. Tom brought us George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. And, for those of you who read Tom's book, we get the family Secret Santa scoop!

(And if you dig this one, we've also recently had Jason "Dudio" Gore on, as well as fellow C&B thread-haver, Connor Ratliff! And a bunch of other great folks like John Flansburgh and Paul Rust!)

Nice! As a bit of a Tom/Best Show completist, I'll make a point of listening to all of these.