Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:36:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scharpling & Wurster / The Best Show On WFMU

Started by Paaaaul, July 13, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheatgod

Quote from: Bad Cabin on April 06, 2011, 08:06:05 AM
I called a few times late last year/early this year (the nervous and slightly lost "Paydirt from Tasmania"). But then again, I barely qualify as being "from CaB".

I enjoy your calls!

Bought all these CDs (on eMusic) and fucking love them. This is some of my favourite comedy ever.

I think the first time I heard 'Gas Station Dogs' I couldn't stop crying...Edit: just realised I posted a link on the previous page!

'Jock Squad' is also absolutely amazing. You're just on the edge and then it builds and builds. When you topple over the edge, it's just sustained brilliant laughter. The pacing and invention is unbelievable.

Great show this Tuesday culminating with a great call from Wurster. Check it out.

Paaaaul

Quote from: clingfilm portent on April 21, 2011, 01:18:28 PM
Great show this Tuesday culminating with a great call from Wurster. Check it out.
Am checking it out now - the call starts very much like the Anything Inc, and the-book-that-tells-you-secrets-the-name-of-which-eludes-me, calls which are great ones, and the sort they haven't done many of recently.

I was thinking more of Tony Torgvort. Anyway credit where its due, without you I wouldn't have had a good couple of years of enjoying this great show, so thanks again!

Paaaaul

Quote from: clingfilm portent on April 21, 2011, 04:11:49 PM
I was thinking more of Tony Torgvort. Anyway credit where its due, without you I wouldn't have had a good couple of years of enjoying this great show, so thanks again!
Tony Torgvort's The System is the book I couldn't remember the name of, thanks!

Still haven't managed to listen to all of this week's yet - people at work kept talking to me.
Keep spreading the love!

wheatgod

Tom just said "cry me a river" and heaved ho... this is going to be a good show.

I don't want to spoil any surprises but this really was one of my favourite shows for aaaages.

Little Hoover

That was one of the best Wurster calls I've heard (I haven't heard a huge amount) Lots of great ideas in there.

Incidentally my T-Shirt that I got by donating at the pledge drive finally arrived today.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Little Hoover on April 22, 2011, 04:42:02 PM
That was one of the best Wurster calls I've heard (I haven't heard a huge amount) Lots of great ideas in there.

Incidentally my T-Shirt that I got by donating at the pledge drive finally arrived today.

From this year, or last?
I'm still waiting on my stuff from last year's 24 hour marathon.

I think that was probably the best Wurster call since the last great period when they did stuff like the Bernie Taupin and Little Bill/Big Bill calls a couple of years ago. A slight shame they went for the easy
Spoiler alert
Emerald Nightmare
[close]
ending again

Listened to all the CDs this week on holiday and everyone loved them. I'm really enjoying listening to them again as there's so much you miss with the back references and toying with linguistic tics. I think the use of language is sensational. Apart from the fantastic 'catchphrases' which are leftfield every time, stuff like 'he wore a car' or 'blues igloo' just kills me.

It's right up there with Morris/the very best and actually works 'better', I feel, because it's not at all self-conscious verbal skewing (like that phrase). It's so natural and part of the character. Jon Wurster slays me in a similar way to Jon from Delocated in his delivery, in that you often know what's coming/the tone of what's coming but his choice of expression/delivery makes it every time. The 'Kid eBay' call is absolutely ihlarious for about half an hour, without having too many 'jokes' in there at all. It's the (completely absurd) situation plus the (completely outlandish yet believable) performance which makes it. His strained joy at 'thank you, Vicodin!' and 'that was some good stuff...she did this one thing...' blew me away, so so funny, despite the lines being nothing on paper.

I don't know how 'improvised' it all is but a lot of the 'dialogue' blows away the likes of Curb for creativity, nuance and punchline execution. Going back to what Cardinal Tit Storm/Pauuuul said earlier in the thread, it's the cyclical cross-referencing between characters which cracks me up so much.

I'm going to go back through all the Gems podcasts now and just download them all off Google Reader. I can't get enough of this. I loved Delocated last year. I loved loved Xavier the year before but this is my favourite comedy since Arrested Development.

Anyone who's not given this a go, sign up for eMusic, get them all, cancel your account and enjoy some of the very best comedy of the past decade.

Paaaaul

Here's a bunch of stuff I found on my hard drive - http://www.mediafire.com/?nknw1b4nvw4oizk

2 x calls from Augie Richards
2 x calls from Kenny Dupree
4 x Marky Ramone calls
4 x Zachary Brimstead calls
Conventions Inc
Dessert Town
Mike Ruggles
and more!!!

I don't think any of this stuff has been released as Gems or on CD, but I may well be wrong.

Paaaaul

And some more stuff - largely Jon Benjamin, and no longer in the archives.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2b6o0nb823lc463

Paaaaul

Holy fucking shit. 'Big Bill and Little Bill' is one of the best-executed comic conceits I've ever heard. The reveal after the Ritalin spiel (even though you know it's coming) had me in floods of tears on the train. What initially seems completely ridiculous and potentially one-note just gets thoroughly rinsed in increasingly absurd ways. My favourite bits:

Spoiler alert
- Why would your grandmother tell me off for telling my own kid off?

- That was me, Little Bill, I was talking to myself, I shouldn't talk to an adult like that.

- It's said that dogs take on their owner's attributes (Mr Sherbet explaining why he has his master's exact voice).
[close]

It's daft to compare things like this but this is my favourite comedy since Arrested Development.

benjula

something about the dog being called Mr Sherbert aswell is very funny to me.

citizen snips

I've just been working my way through the Best Show Gems, and enjoying them a lot.  Quick question - is the Smirnoff Ice regional sales director the guy who voices Ben from Dr Katz?

Paaaaul

Quote from: citizen snips on May 21, 2011, 02:07:58 PM
I've just been working my way through the Best Show Gems, and enjoying them a lot.  Quick question - is the Smirnoff Ice regional sales director the guy who voices Ben from Dr Katz?

Yep - Jon Benjamin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Jon_Benjamin

Paaaaul

Tom Vs.
Spoiler alert
Marc Maron
[close]
- round 2.

Great show.
Tom twists it around and
Spoiler alert
psycho-analyses Maron putting him on the back foot
[close]

Little Hoover

Sounds great, I thought it might have been worth staying up for this one, but I had to be up early today.

Paaaaul

I'm listening now.
A canny person can download the mp3 archive stream from WFMU pretty easily a couple of days before the podcast drops.

Even though what I said in spoilers above does indeed happen, it's still a very amiable chat, and really shows a really good understanding between the two of them. I can imagine that this won't be the last on-mic collaboration between them.

Squink

An interview with Scharpling in NY Mag. A big "nooooo" to this part:

QuoteWith two series in develop­ment at Comedy Central, he's expecting to be spending more time in L.A., which could mean the end of "The Best Show." "There are other things I'd like to do," he says, including the farcical music videos he began writing in 2007.

http://nymag.com/arts/comics/profiles/tom-scharpling-2011-6/

Custard

Since finishing off Best Show Gems, I've been downloading and listening to the full shows in a random order, and its fast becoming a real highlight of my day/week.

Tom's imitation and pisstake of podcasts in a recent episode (the Black Friday queue one) had me hooting. Nailed his target in a way that most modern comedians could only dream of, and it was (seemingly) totally off the cuff. Fantastic.

Wurster phoning up briefly and ending his call with "You....... FART" was sublime, too.

Also greatly laughed at the most recent Gems podcast, with Tom's brother Dom calling in. Possibly the most I've giggled at one of those, and that's saying something, with these

Oh man, love it.

wheatgod

Shameless - can recommend listening to the shows in order. Tom calls often does callbacks to recent shows. Wurster's calls also go through phases, and build on eachother.

Custard

Heh, I should do really. Its usually the titles that pull me in though!

Anyone know the story with the constantly abused caller Spike? Is he a genuine caller? Seems a bit bizarre, but ultimately harmless, yet Tom hates him! heh

Paaaaul

Spike's genuine. He calls other WFMU shows too making the same stupid points.
The greatest Spike call was one where his claim that he was writing a book about weirdos evaporated under Tom's examination. The fact that he still expects anyone to take him seriously after that shows how delusional he is.

Custard

Hehehe! I can't help but feel a bit sorry for him though. Clearly not the full hamper. To the point where I thought he might be a character!

"For our non-regular listeners, Spike is a deluded, disgusting perverted idiot..."
"No.... I'm not perverted Tom...."

Yeah, he always claims to have some project on the go, and Tom quickly exposes it as deluded bollocks. Awwww :(

Little Hoover

So will dct be calling in with his pub trivia for a 3rd time? Seemed to go well last week.