Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:15:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Future Of The Left - Travels With Myself And Another (2009)

Started by alan nagsworth, July 18, 2009, 03:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Okay, I only made a thread about this record because in the 2009 Records thread, Paaaul said it was easily one of the best records released this year, and I have to say I strongly disagree.

This album is almost entirely shit. Where 'Curses' was the whole mclusky sound condensed into something a little more adventurous but on the whole just summing up everything mclusky have already done, 'TWMAA' is just condensing the sound of 'Curses' and making it even worse by trying to do what Falco has done with great success on all other occasions: progress but stay true to his raw, original style.

The first track is a good example, where the guitars get all melodic and it turns into an emotional affair, I knew I was in for a bad experience. Another good example is the last track, where it basically imitates the last track from mclusky's last album 'The Difference Between Me And You Is I'm Not On Fire', only the difference is the latter is an awesome track and the former is pretty dull. It's certainly the most interesting track on the album, though, and the only other redeeming factor is the single 'The Hope That House Built'. I was pretty much bored stiff by the rest of the record and couldn't wait for it to end so I could put it away and never return to it.

I'm severely let down by this, bloody awful.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 18, 2009, 03:15:51 AM
the only other redeeming factor is the single 'The Hope That House Built'.

After Paaaul's recommendation in the 2009 thread - and the other similar endorsements - I took a punt on downloading that track and one other by FOTL.  I haven't even got the stomach to listen to Arming Eritrea, such was my intense, gut-level dislike for THTHB. 

I don't really know much about FOTL or mclusky (other than that one of their's is the best single of all time), but basically the vibe I'm picking up is 'not for me'.

Funcrusher

Do I need to bother listening to Mclusky? Are they just Shellac fanboys?

Paaaaul

I can't believe the lack of love. Truly. And it's not just me who loves it. - http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/futureoftheleft/travelswithmyselfandanother

I've listened to this album well over 100 times now and it is definitely one of my all-time favourites now.
I really liked Curses, but listening to it now it seems like a set of demos compared to TWMAA.
The band have also gone from an entertaining live experience to a truly exhilarating must-see group.
I'm no muso, but Kelson's bass-playing has improved a huge amount since Curses and a lot of the new songs are so much tighter and effective because of it. A song like Land Of My Formers would not have had the same power a couple of years ago, but now the bass pulls the songs forwards way beyond anything FOTL or mclusky have done previously.
Kelson's vocals, which I found to be sometimes irritating on Curses tracks, have been greatly reduced.

Caldonian Gonzo - although I did suggest listening to The Hope That House Built, mostly because it was easier to find at that time due to it being on Youtube, it is very different stylistically and production-wise to the rest of the album. It was recorded much earlier than the rest of the album, and does have more of a Curses sound than anything else on TWMAA.  The rest of the album has a more live-in-the-studio sound which helps no end in bringing some of the power of the live shows to the recording. If you want to try one more song, I would suggest Drink Nike which seems to go down best with my friends.

Above all, I think Falco's songs are stronger and more diverse than ever before. His melodies have moved slightly away from the pop which always infected his best stuff, but have gained a subtlety which rewards multiple listens. He has reduced the fat content from new material which does the job and moves onto the next track, not allowing for boredom. A lot of bands could learn from TWMAA.

I loved mclusky, but they now seem like the daft younger brother of Future Of The Left, even though FOTL have actually moved back towards a more mclusky sound with this album.

Funcrusher - listen to mclusky's To Hell With Good Intentions, then make your own mind up. mclusky do dallas is the album you need to listen to if you if you enjoy that.

(sorry for all the bold bits, I got carried away...)

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 18, 2009, 11:23:00 AM
I really liked Curses, but listening to it now it seems like a set of demos compared to TWMAA.

See, this is obviously where our opinions split right down the middle: for me, the sound which you describe as 'a set of demos' is what makes Falco's efforts so appealing to me. It suits his rambling style of vocals and is extremely well-complimented by their gruff guitar sounds. Whereas you see it as nothing but straight progression through the years, I see it as stepping down somewhat from something which could have been fantastic.

mclusky are one of my favourite British rock acts of recent years and in my opinion they just got better and better. Their third album was decidedly more hit-and-miss than their second, but they had branched out into awesome new territories with their sound, totally unabashed. 'Curses', for me, was the perfection of Falco's progression. While it wasn't as good as some of mclusky's previous stuff, it showed that they were on the right track in terms of staying fresh. 'Travels With Myself And Another' is like a horrible step backwards on everything I held sacred about that evolution and also about the sound they were capable of producing. It's totally stale and sounds way too polished for my liking.

QuoteHis melodies have moved slightly away from the pop which always infected his best stuff, but have gained a subtlety which rewards multiple listens. He has reduced the fat content from new material which does the job and moves onto the next track, not allowing for boredom. A lot of bands could learn from TWMAA.

Not to be awkward or anything, but I think this new album is more pop than anything he's released in the past few years. For example, removing the 'fat content' from the new tracks means that they are often lifeless and sound very empty to me. They didn't prevent boredom by being very short songs, though, because of just how uninteresting they ultimately were.

I loved mclusky, but they now seem like the daft younger brother of Future Of The Left, even though FOTL have actually moved back towards a more mclusky sound with this album.

Funcrusher - listen to mclusky's To Hell With Good Intentions, then make your own mind up. mclusky do dallas is the album you need to listen to if you if you enjoy that.

(sorry for all the bold bits, I got carried away...)
[/quote]

boki

This one's just not grabbing me in the same way as 'Curses', but then the latter i a very immediate album IMHO, and contains some great dance (or at least dancing) music being belted out by a filthy power trio.

Sorry about all the italics, I tend to tilt my head to the side a lot.

thugler

I like both albums fine, but travels is a little more catchy and immediate. Fantastic and very up front bass tone all the way through which is unusual and ace. I find the political lyrics a bit tiresome and manics'y at times. Really enjoy it in general despite it sounding a bit inconsistent, like the songs were recorded in bunches at different times.

alan nagsworth

IT'S SHIT

thank you for reading my post of informative opinions that provoke discussion